IMDb > Chocolat (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chocolat

Chocolat More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 50: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Deliciously Funny!

Author: v2hot4u01 from USA
27 March 2001

This movie is probably the best movie I have seen in about 5 years. This movie uses alot of comedy to represent a woman and her child spreading the taste of chocolate all over France. But the Mayor of this town thinks that chocolate is the taste of the devil. Your going to have to see this outstanding movie nominated for Best Picture to see the comediac ending of this film. Give a laugh or two and come see this film!!!

Pleasant, though a bit obvious.

Author: ppazniokas from Northern NJ
18 March 2001

A difficult film to dislike, it strikes a nice medium between drama and comedy - the kind of thing the French would have done very well. There's not much to it, but it's put together so charmingly and the actors do such a solid job, that you end up not minding that it spends perhaps a minute too long at the end spelling out what its lesson is. If you can forgive this little flaw, then it's a pleasant enough 2 hours.

The ensemble acting is wonderful (recognize the very scary dude from "Fargo"?), and Rachel Portman's music is perfect, as usual.

Of course, this is quite an airy souffle to be getting nominated as Best Picture, but - hey - that's the Academy for you.

Tasty!

Author: meeza (themeezaman@hotmail.com) from Miami, Fl
3 March 2001

The fable `Chocolat' is a delicious treat by Director Lasse Hallstrom. This tasty story is about an engaging drifter who inhabits a constrained town and opens up a chocolat. Let's just say that her pastries would have turned Willy Wonka into Willy Bonka. Juliette Binoche, who has not acted since her Oscar winning performance in `The English Patient', was delightful as the chocolat owner. Judi Dench, Lena Olin, Alfred Molina also left a good aftertaste with their supporting work. So hurry up and take a bite out of `Chocolat' before it runs out! ***** Excellent

Binoche Marveilleuse!

Author: labate (llabate@hotmail.com) from Sao Paulo, Brasil
23 February 2001

I just returned from the cinema. Wow! I'm trying to write about the movie but I am obligated to talk this excelent casting. Juliette Binoche; that woman is amazing, her mere expressions give such life to the character that no words need to be said. Judi Dench also appeared brilliantly et la petit Victoire Thivisol shows just what the future generation of French actors is all about (she was excelent in Ponette - 1996). Johny Depp was a good choice for the part, even though I did not like how the marketing exploited on his image (because he's not THAT relevant in the film). Alfred Molina was true to the part and I must say I was quite surprised at what actress Lena Olin pulled through thru her supporting role (worth an Oscar nomination in my oppinion).

That breath taking scenery could have been more exploited, specially the narrow streets of the pitoresque village. Still, the storyline was very well elaborate and entertaining. This is my new favourite movie for the month.

GREAT MOVIE!

Author: kharris from Irving, Texas
19 February 2001

This is a feel good movie. Great for a rainy day! EXCELLENT. Honestly, I would have never thought this movie would be as entertaining as it was. I was captivated from the beginning to the end. I laughed and I cried and it was the best feeling. I left the theater in a better mood.

Pure movie magic

Author: (davidl@ci.oswego.or.us) from Portland Oregon
26 December 2000

The year is 1959, but it might just as well be a century or more before, for all the intrusion of modern times and technology in this story of a mysterious woman (Binoche) and her daughter who arrive in a small French town and open a chocolate shop during Lent, which angers the mayor, a devout and intolerant count (Molina) who vows to put her out of business. In a sense, the story is a fairy tale about a good witch who turns a town upside down mainly due to the villagers' fear and ignorance, and does good for them despite themselves. Beautifully shot, wonderfully written, and delightfully acted, the film is as near perfection among romantic comedy-dramas as I have seen in a long time. Binoche is most fetching, Olin fine as a battered wife who blooms (it is magical just for a film buff to contemplate how the actresses and their roles have changed since they were together in "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"), Molina a wonderful "villain," and Judi Dench as a crusty diabetic landlady somehow made me cry nearly every time she came on screen. Fine as he has been elsewhere, Johnny Depp as a sort of gypsy water-rat with a curious Irish brogue is a little out of his depth in this crowd. This is one to treasure in repeated viewings.

A fable so smooth it melts in your mouth.

Author: bergman-6 from Los Angeles, CA
19 December 2000

I thoroughly enjoyed the film, as did the other people in my group. It's a simple fable with a predictable ending, but we all got caught up in the mood and felt that we were friends with the quirky characters who live in the small French town where all the action takes place. Even the two children are enjoyable, not nauseatingly cutesy as one fears children might be in this type of film. Juliette Binoche is ravishing to look at and conveys the Mary Poppins-type quirkiness that carries the film. Alfred Molina is the reactionary, super-religious mayor of the town who tries to pressure Binoche into leaving, but his portrayal is sympathetic enough that he doesn't destroy the fable-like quality of the film. Johnny Depp is a charming river rat, and you also have two fantastic pros in Judi Dench and Leslie Caron. Go, and let the movie suck you into its sense of place and time and you'll leave the theater feeling that all is possible in life after all.

To say that Lasse Hallstrom is a genius

Author: MrEguy from West Hollywood, CA
19 December 2000

To say that Lasse Hallstrom is a genius would be close to the truth. This film is brilliantly done! A delightfully magical story, well told through the eyes of a master director. Juliette Binoche is flawless. Dame Judy Dench continues to leave me in awe.

The best movie I've seen in a long time!

Author: Anna-52 from California
18 December 2000

This movie was a wonderful surprise! A great cast and amazing directing! This movie combines wonderful bits of humor and wisdom along with romance and drama and of course...mouth watering Chocolate. The result is a very sweet mix of fairy tale and real life and it all adds up to great movie making!

A truly delicious experience- almost like the equivalent of putting a chocolate into your mouth

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
27 October 2010

There were a few reasons why I wanted to see Chocolat. I am all for sweet, heart-warming stories and I love Johnny Depp and Judi Dench. Upon viewing, Chocolat doesn't disappoint. The pacing sags slightly in the middle, but Chocolat is overall delightful and quite simply for me a delicious experience. The production values are exquisite- the cinematography is lovely, the scenery is breathtaking and the costumes are gorgeous. The music is also lovingly lyrical, and the script is both funny and touching and thankfully manages not to become too mushy or treacly. And the story is very heart-warming and compelling, with crisp direction from Lasse Hallstrom. Chocolat does also have a fine cast, Juliette Binoche is typically fine and Johnny Depp looking so handsome by the way is charming. Alfred Molina is great too, and while Judi Dench was very good I personally think her performances for Notes on a Scandal, Iris and Mrs Brown were better. In conclusion, excellent film. 9/10 Bethany Cox