IMDb > Chocolat (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chocolat

Chocolat More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 50: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Feel Good movie !

Author: Elo Cinquanta
22 April 2014

This is truly a "Feel Good" movie. A movie that I love to watch and watch again and again, especially when I feel bad. A very nice story, full of sweetness and sweets. Great actors, beautiful music, very nice scenery. It shows a very nice small French village, very typical, very authentic. The characters are very interesting, each one got a specific character and even the "bad guys" can be "liked" in some ways. Every one has a special history. Well just a little touch of everything to make a delicious movie to watch alone or not :) And not to say that it speaks of CHOCOLATE and for a chocolate lover it's just the PERFECT "Feel Good" movie to watch with a real hot chocolate (with spicy pepper) !!!

I LOVE Chocolat!

Author: KA Metcalf (pioneerkaren@gmail.com) from North Carolina, US
27 July 2013

I found this film engaging from beginning to end. The characters are very well developed, and the story unfolds such that I truly felt a part of that small town for a brief while.

When Vianne and her daughter Anouk come to the small, uptight French village, they shake things up slowly (and sometimes painfully) despite the best efforts of the Mayor, Comte de Reynaud. The Comte, who makes life hell for Vianne and her daughter, initially seems to be a bully and villain. However, he is slowly revealed to be an unhappy man who is battling his own inner demons.

Vianne, through her generous spirit, helps liberate many villagers (including the Comte) who are trapped in one way or another by their circumstance. However, the villagers also liberate Vianne of her conviction that she is destined to wander always with no permanent home.

The way that all of the characters interact eventually creates an environment of tolerance and a realization that there is joy in experiencing the variety that is life.

This is a film that I can definitely watch again and again.

Beautiful film with a beautiful story and cast

Author: tonyface2007-605-164207 from Manchester, England
10 February 2013

I have to admit that I first watched this film after just catching the beginning on TV, and was instantly mesmerised by the performance of the extremely beautiful Juliette Binoche. I am not normally into human film stories and are more of an action movie person, however the storyline was surprisingly quick moving and always left you with a warm feeling and wanting to know what is going to happen next in the lives of each of the people who Binoche's character has impacted upon. Such a beautiful story and a beautiful cast, I always feel that the mark of a good film is when you cannot think of anyone who could have played each of the roles any better. A film that I have had to watch again and again in order to ensure I did not miss anything, it kept me up until 3:30 a.m the first time I watched it. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone, and all age groups.

kind of fairy-tale

Author: Armand from Romania
29 October 2012

seductive. this is its definition. a film as cake with mystery, old fashion style, warm sweetness, childish joy, a film about Frank Capra recipes but with few spices of new century. all is magic - cast, performance, details, moral lessons. all is projection of morning in the charm skin of hot chocolate. it is a wise fairy tale. a fairy tale for adults , with flavor of Coelho but not more, with the taste of freedom essence, but in careful measure, with a shadow of dust of a never-ending trip. a film. as a beach in evening, a rain in first day of spring, a gift for Christmas, a flower in a small garden. like map of magnificent land of past. or, only, a seed. for true feelings.

Magical

Author: billcr12 from United States
20 March 2012

Chocolat is a fantasy-comedy with the owner of a gourmet chocolate shop, Vianne(Juliette Binoche) and her daughter, Anouk, who was born out of wedlock, opening the store during Lent at a small, mostly Catholic village, causing much consternation. They are not church goers and are looked down upon by the locals. At the start of the story. Viane's landlady, Armande(Judi Dench) has a strained relationship with her girl, Caroline, who will not allow her mother to see her grandson. Vianne plays peacemaker at the shop, getting all three together while consuming the candy.

Next is Josephine(Lena Olin), who has left an abusive husband to live with Viane and becomes independent while working as an intern, learning to create delicious confectioneries. Her husband is an obsessive drunk who pursues her unrelentingly. She refuses to reunite with him.

A group of gypsy's arrive and Vianne falls for the flamboyant Roux(Johnny Depp), the head of the travelers who stage an elaborate birthday party for Armande. Chocolat is magical, so be prepared to be captured by its spell.

delicious as a Chocolat

Author: chydals from Taiwan
10 March 2012

What a marvelous movie! , the story , the cast , absolutely love it . this is the kind of movie that transport you to a different world and actually the main character which is the Chocolat has a very intelligent and creative way to show into the film . I have to admit i like chocolate and after watch this movie i am kind of curious about which are the many kinds of Chocolat that appears in the movie. There is one part in the movie that you will feel in love with the Chocolat, is like if you would like to eat chocolat in that exactly moment. So if you are a big fan of chocolat like me , you will definitely love this one 8/10

A warm, sensual and exciting movie about l'amour

Author: Charlotte Dwars from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 August 2007

Being as it is that Julliette and Johnny are both two of my favorite actors, I had to see this movie. Comments weren't as positive as I'd hoped, but as everyone has a taste of their own, I decided to take my sister to the DVD rental shop and we got Chocolat. Having lived in France and fully understanding the language, my sister loved the French taste this movie provides. Julliette is a very beautiful actress who has a sense of calm and tranquility about her. This makes watching her even more so enjoyable.

Being the Johnny Depp fan that I am, of course I was anxious to see him. His role is also a very subtle one, not pushing his character nor trying to be the pretty boy people want him to be. To me, he's like Kate Winslet; always looking for films that suit him, not his wallet. Obviously Pirates let aside, but still that was an alternative role as well.

With everything that goes on in the village, and with knowledge that most women on this planet like chocolate, I really suggest you watch this movie. It's not flawless but it brings that French atmosphere right into your living room and gets you to wanting to learn the language, or go there. Maybe even start your own 'chocolaterie'.

A beautiful performance by Julliette who deserves to be called the best French actress of the moment alongside with Audrey Tatou!

Enchanting, beautiful... and delicious!

Author: segacs from Montreal, Canada
23 December 2006

I'm a chocoholic, and seeing this movie was enough to keep my mouth watering throughout. But it was about so much more than just the amazingly delicious-looking chocolate.

Juliette Binoche is amazingly charming and enchanting, playing the lead role in this fairy tale about a woman named Vianne and her daughter who move to a repressed small town in France, and throw it into turmoil by attacking the taboos of the townspeople one by one. Binoche is stunning; she literally lights up the screen. Johnny Depp, playing opposite her, is great as usual. And Alfred Molina puts in a fantastic performance as Vianne's foil, the Comte Paul de Reynaud.

Superficially, this is at once a fairy tale, a love story, and a story about chocolate. On a deeper level, it's a classic tale of conservatism versus shaking things up, of the old ways being pitted against new ideas, and of the whole question of morality itself.

All of this is wrapped up in an utterly enchanting - and dare I say - delicious package. So go ahead, take a bite out of "Chocolat" - it's a lot of fun and completely calorie-free!

Nice Movie

Author: moviefreakgirl from Portugal
22 October 2006

Chocolat is a nice movie, the type of movie you want to watch in a Sunday afternoon. It has some god acting, a nice story, and it's good to look at, even if forgettable. The screenplay follows the book closely, so it has nice, uplifting subplots, engaging characters and a terrible ending. The narration was good, and it gave the movie a cute fairytale tone. The characters weren't very developed, sometimes they were clichéd, but all the actors are great, so it's easy to not notice that. The dialogs are OK, nothing brilliant but not bad, either. Lasse Hallstrom's directing is simple but effective; the chocolate is very well shot, and almost all the rest of the movie as a simple direction with no flashes of brilliance.

The actors were great, even if their material wasn't very good. Juliette Bioche is lovely, with her smile always present and a certain sweetness that fitted the role perfectly. Judy Dench was pretty good, playing her typical cranky old woman, but she expresses her emotions in a god way and can be touching. Lena Olin was perfect for the part, with the right awkwardness and pain. Johnny Depp did what he had to, which was looking sexy. Peter Stormare, Carrie Ann Moss, Alfred Molina and Aurelie Parent Koenig were good with their few scenes. The only bad element was Victoire Thivisol, who was too old for the part even if not a bad actress.

The music was pretty good, as were the costumes, the stunning cinematography and the sets. Overall, enjoyable and nice 7.5/10

A Seductive Treat

Author: George Attwood from Canada
22 April 2006

CHOCOLAT **** This handsomely set-decorated film establishes itself in an old-fashioned tranquil French village. We are being told of a woman (Juliette Binoche) who, along with her daughter, arrive to the village square to open a chocolate shop. Her unorthodox method in running her business instigates bitter emotions in some of the townspeople yet draws others to her in the midst of their troubles. And when stranger Johnny Depp arrives onto the setting, she becomes romantically involved with him. The film generally focuses on the controversy that comes in the aftermath of Binoche not taking the villager's strict traditions (in their season of Pentecost) to heart but opening their minds to new ideas. It was an Oscar-nominated piece, and accolades are deserved by all involved.