IMDb > Chocolat (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chocolat

Chocolat More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 50: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Nice movie that could also relate to coffee or marijuana

Author: lbuijss from Canada
9 September 2005

Is the colorful movie in which the charming Juliet Binoche plays a lovely roll as Vianne, a single mother who came out of nowhere with a cute little daughter to set up shop in a 1950ies village in central France. You don't know if this is going to be comical, which you would expect when you see all the devoted silly faces in Sunday church, or if it is a documentary about cocoa since the narrator takes you to South America where Vianne's father apparently got sexually stimulated after drinking hot chocolate. Or did he just got excited by the hot Amazonian girls by the campfire? Anyway, in the end it is just going to be a fairytale with a grouchy grandmother played by Judi Dench, that despite her grade one diabetes indulges herself in chocolate. A village Mayor (Alferd Molina) who is estranged from his wife for over six months and thinks that chocolate is going to give him the desired satisfaction he lacks since. He looks more like a Mr. Cluso when he rolls in to the Chocolatery and gives a boring performance of how not to eat truffles. What is the conspiracy behind here? Tobacco companies cannot buy into the movie scene anymore and now we are looking at Cadbury's or Droste to sell us more than chocolate actually can deliver? In the old days, mankind might have given chocolate some hallucinogenic powers and it does enhances mood in some people and for that matter it took time to get accepted. Similarly today with hemp, all sort of powers and qualities are given to the weed and in 5 or 10 years people will laugh as to how innocent hemp really is and accepted like Chocolat.

feel good fun with a spring in it's step

Author: TheNorthernMonkee from Manchester
5 September 2005

SPOILERS Chocolate has certain chemical advantages. Causing the same release of chemicals as sexual gratification, the cocoa bean has been eaten with desirable results for centuries. Joanne Harris' novel about a woman who revolutionises a French town through chocolate is obviously aware of this and thankfully the film adaptation keeps this in mind. Well acted and with a wide range of enigmatic characters, the film is a feel good story which (just like chocolate itself) leaves you both happy and desperate for more.

A small French village, led by the Comte De Reynaud (Alfred Molina), is a place of contained misery. A group of people who keep their emotions and feelings bottled up and reject all gratification in favour religious purity, things need to change. So when the mysterious Vianne Rocher (Juliette Binoche) and her daughter Anouk (Victoire Thivisol) turn up and create the ultimate temptation in the form of life altering chocolate, the Comte is less than overjoyed.

There's this strange feeling that one gets as they watch "Chocolat". Certain films induce desires of one extreme or the other. If you watch a romance, you will probably feel the desire for love. If you watch a particularly violent movie, you'll find yourself with a desire to attack someone (this is a desire rather than a necessity of course and not something to be acted upon). So when you watch "Chocolat" you find yourself with this enormous, obvious desire to pig out through a box of fancy chocolates. Not necessarily Cadbury or another ordinary selection, but something fancy.

The chocolate lust induced leads to one conclusion. Irrelevant of whether you love the plot or not, the way the film shows chocolate as a thick beautiful fluid is magnificent. Similar to cooks like Floyd, Rhodes, Smith and others, the film shows you how well the food can be good and by the end you are literally drooling.

At the other end of the scale, if you don't find yourself drooling over the chocolate, you can always drool over Juliette Binoche. Not a personal favourite when it comes to acting, Binoche turns in a suitably brilliant performance here. Showing a woman who feels obligated to move on when the time is right (a novel comparison with the villagers and their own personal sacrifices), Binoche adds a reality to a character who must not have been easy to portray. At the same time though, she also adds a remarkable air of sexuality to an almost mother like role. She might be aided by magnificent performances from a cast including Molina, Dame Judi Dench and Johnny Depp, but it is Binoche who is deservedly named first. She is a majestic lead and the film is better for her presence.

If there is any complaint to be made of "Chocolat" it is that the script begins badly. Adapted from the book by Robert Nelson Jacobs, the general layout of the story flows remarkably well. In the first thirty minutes or so however, the lines don't work particularly well and you find yourself grimacing at times. Jacobs does improve, like the film in general, as the story progresses, but by this time it would not be surprising if some had turned the film off.

Despite the disappointing beginning, "Chocolat" is a film worth watching. Brilliantly acted and often beautiful to watch, it is an entertaining piece which will leave you with a huge grin and a feeling of well being. Like chocolate itself, you can't help but feel that life is better with "Chocolat" around.

Chocolate give this movie a special touch.

Author: cmyklefty from Philadelphia
12 January 2002

Juliette Binoche play a woman who moves to town with her young daughter and open a chocolate shop. The shop open with much objection with the town people. Some people got curious about the shop, and she shows them how to love with her special chocolate treats. Binoche, Judi Dench, and Alfred Molina performances are excellent. If you give up chocolate during lent, my advice do not watch at this time. If your will power is strong enough to watch without eating chocolate then it is okay to see.

Mesmerizing: pure magic

Author: SCHAGELA from Apeldoorn, Holland
19 October 2001

Wow, what a movie, I really enjoyed this one. Even though I'm not really a lover of the romantic genre, I think this one is great, great, great. In the form of a modern fairy tale with great acting great atmosphere and directed magically by Lasse Halstrom. With 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape he already proved he could make sensitive yet not 'dribbling' movies. This one is even better if you ask me. After about 12 minutes I found myself touched by it with tears in my eyes. Anyone should watch it, can't imagine how anyone could be bored. IMO all the Oscars that went to Erin Brokovitch should have gone to 'Chocolat'. Highly recommended to everyone!!! One of my few 10 out of 10's.

Great Movie

Author: K-Slicer from In A Confined Space
18 September 2001

This movie is not a chick flick. This is a movie for everybody. I never thought I would see it myself because guys were supposed to avoid it. If you aren't into movies that are actually worth watching, stay away from this. But, if your in the mood for a drama that has a sweet yet serious side to it, this is for you. I give it a 9 out of 10.

A healing place

Author: Laura Craciun from Boston, Massachusetts
21 August 2001

Chocolat is for all types because of it's beautifully crafted scenes, script, score and actors. But, the real gem is the healing that takes place in front of the eyes of the audience. So many characters are healed from the restrictions of their upbringings and it's really beautiful to see. Even the most harmful characters to themselves and others are portrayed in a compassionate way. And the victims are shown their real strengths. The chocolate shop symbolizes a place where you don't need to be ashamed of who you really are deep down inside. The place where your true nature is allowed to be free like a bird or a gypsy. Johny Depp's song is a song the soul sings when it rejoices and plays. I loved this movie. On a personal note, the character who had an abusive husband was the most poignant. She shows battered women they can survive, escape, heal, triumph and help others. What a realistic portrayal!! You would think she actually survived something like that in real life!

Almost as magic as the book.

Author: StevieSun from Somerset, UK
17 April 2001

First all I have to say I followed this film from the time they filmed the party scene, because it was filmed here in Somerset. Really French!

I read the book last summer and the essence of the book is the magic. It's a fairy tale because of the magic, not just in the story but because of the story itself. I was worried that the magic would be lost when transfered to the screen. It wasn't. The whole film has kept the magical feel to it making this film a joy to watch. My only problem with the whole film (I can't believe I'm saying this), is a certain Mr. Depp. He sounded Irish but Roux wasn't Irish, or at least not that I remember. And Roux in the book had red hair. But despite that and the fact the large parts were missed out I loved this film. I have to add that the large parts missed out don't affect the story, unless you've read the book. I loved this film.

I have to just say, Judi Dench you were wonderful. And Hugh O'Conor, you were fantastic. Even in a skirt. I loved this film.

Did I remember to add I love this film. If you get the chance to watch this film do.

Know the madness . . .

Mmmmm Good. Love that Chocolat!

Author: MadBadMovieman from Surprise, AZ
14 April 2001

This was such a great Movie. MMMMMM Good. We loved that Chocolat! So very well acted. So very well narrated. The characters were so well developed and portrayed. The struggles in life and with death were are very deep and touching. Happy, angry, sad, and just plain enoyable experience to be had by watching this movie.

It deserved to be an Oscar contender for many nominations.

Would hesitate to see again, or again...

Beautiful movie to be watched on its own terms

Author: Andrew Werling (awerling)
1 April 2001

This gorgeous and moving film has been unfairly compared to "Like Water For Chocolate," which was a completely different movie with a very different story. "Chocolat," on its own terms, then: a simple folktale about a mother and daughter compelled by their family legacy to wander from town to town, sharing love (in this case, symbolized by chocolate with a special ingredient) and bringing hope to people. It's a film about freedom, about inclusiveness, about release. The sheer beauty of every aspect of the film had me in tears, and I bought the sound track immediately after leaving the theater. I had to let go of expecting the characters to have complicated motives; again, this is a simpler film than that. I could relate to it, and I'm certain I'm not the only one. The question is: how has each of us blindly followed what we called our destiny without scrutiny? How are we avoiding freedom? The answer is not always as obvious as we might expect.

Lets just be serious about the accents

Author: dohanlon_ie from Dublin, Ireland
28 March 2001

I loved this film and am sick of people dissing it because A. The accents are not authentic or B. cos it's not inn french! Who mentioned the fact that Quills was not in Frennch? Very few! It is important to note that the director of Chocolat wanted a mixture of accents to give the impression of differing identities. As for the language thinmg OK lets alol agree thast if ~Chocolat should be in French and be as authentic as possible the that other thing called Gladiator should be inn Latin and shouldn't feature an actor the sounds like he has just run in from the bush.... opppps I shouldn't even suggest that should I Gladiator was such accurate filmmaking a Crowe is such a fantastic actor.... and his rubber soled sandals.... from the Roman empire.... wher thay spoke LATIN!!!!