IMDb > Chocolat (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chocolat

Chocolat More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 50:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Do not deny yourself this pleasure

Author: hemmingsn from United Kingdom
14 January 2010

-This film transports through the art of story telling.

-It takes you out of your situation and introduces you to a group of fascinating people.

-Each character either is beautiful or becomes beautiful.

Chocalat can be loved on the surface or somewhere more profound. The audience can choose the depth in which they wish to receive it. Little children may be entranced with the way chocolate looks when melted and stirred, whereas adults are entranced by the emotional impact of learning how to not deny one's self of the little pleasures in life (and also be captivated by melted chocolate!) Chocalat is grounded in emotional reality, but possess magical qualities breaching into the realms of a fairy tale.

An entire family can enjoy this one or you could simply watch it on your own.

I sometimes like to have the film on in the background while doing homework. Eventually I am immersed without fail.

DO NOT DENY YOURSELF THIS PLEASURE

I had never craved chocolate so much in my life!

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
14 September 2009

When I borrowed Chocolat from my friend, I really didn't know anything about it, or really what my expectations should be (other than that it's name made me hungry and there was something that was going to be happening about chocolate somewhere in the movie, hahaha). Well, when the movie started up, I got the main concept right away and was immediately interested, which they were very satisfactory at material like that, by that I mean, they weren't trying so hard to get the point through of what they wanted you to understand, they just followed the expression, "go with the flow" and that definitely worked out for the unquestionable better for this movie!

I immediately fell in love with Juliette Binoche's character Vianne, because they do an excellent job at establishing her character to where you really care for her and admire her, same for many of the other main and supporting characters like Josephine, Armande and Roux. This movie had amazing character structure which in the end benefited it greatly, because that is one of the things I look for in every movie, that they are able to introduce their characters with strong, effective personalities and dispositions, you understand what they are basically like right away, and magnificently all the actors and actresses were able to do that with their characters, as I have already stated and praised a couple of times; Juliette Binoche deserved an Oscar, and Carrie-Ann Moss, Johnny Depp, Lena Olin, Judi Dench, Alfed Molina etc. etc. all gave astoundingly award-worthy performances as well!

Second of all, the plot is absolutely miraculous. I couldn't help but be so mesmerized and entranced by how wonderfully they were able to create this strange, but lovable atmosphere of these people, not wanting to accept change to their quiet and "cardboard" little town, but then something so simple as chocolate is able to turn all their perspectives on life around all at once, which is a great and true message: The simplest things sometimes can make the biggest impact, and this movie definitely showed that and handled the idea incredibly well.

I love this movie, and the whole time I was watching, I had never wanted to consume chocolate so much in my life! I truly think it is really something special when a movie can just make the audience want to go out and do something or want to cooperate and or feel what the characters are feeling, and I mean that in a good sense of course, because the whole time I was watching this movie, I just wanted to experience these amazing experiences that the characters were experiencing and I even felt jealousy come over me as they obtained these opportunities!

This film certainly is nowhere near bad and or mediocre in any way! It is a masterpiece! One of the best films I have ever seen, actually, no lie there! I didn't find one flaw, but it's just I do think it's one of those films where I believe there are overall a few better movies than it, and by that I mean, while this movie is breathtakingly stunning in it's whole trial, there are movies that I, surprisingly, do enjoy more. Regardless, Chocolat is a fun, beautifully crafted, completely alluring work of art from start to finish, and by the end I was astonished at how fantastic this movie really turned out to be. I recommend to anyone who loves an enthralling plot that commingles with unforgettable performances behind unforgettable characters, non-stop entertainment and a little bit of a chocolaty sweet touch here and there...

cacao saves the day

Author: chris-2055 from United States
20 December 2005

It is misleading to suggest that this movie makes a fool or bad guy out of religion/Christianity. The movie simply portrays one of the many instances by which religion vis-a-vis Christianity can be manipulated by those with personal agendas to attempt to force others into particular lifestyles. The movie might have been a bit trite, but it was well done and entertaining. a much more significant problem than the treatment of Christianity was the treatment of peripheral characters, about whom we learn very little. aside from the woman running the chocolate shop and the town mayor, all of the other dynamic characters remain too flat. I would have loved to have known more about the all of these characters, with a solid cast of actors such as were present here, it really could've been accomplished with just a bit more dialogue, so long as it was done right. nevertheless, the movie was far, far better than a 2.

Very tasty in small amounts but is too slight and obvious to really please

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
3 January 2005

In a quiet little French village morals are upheld and restraint is a virtue. So tongues get wagging when Vianne Rocher opens up a chocolate shop – during Lent of all times. The Comte De Reynaud decides to do all he can to force her out of the village, although her enticing treats start to win over some of the residents even if her standards don't. With the arrival of some river drifters things become harder for Rocher especially as she tries to help some of the villagers who have been trapped behind the walls of respectability.

With heaps of praise for this movie and the cast featuring the promise of the always interesting Johnny Depp, I took the chance to watch this film on television recently hoping for an enjoyable time. I did enjoy it but, aside from the sweet coating the film enjoys the film failed to have anything like a satisfying centre. The plot is fairly standard stuff where Vianne opens up the village to enjoy more about life and free them from restraint – it doesn't have much in the way of surprises or depth to it and it is telling that an advert recently for butter has managed to tell the same story in about 30 seconds. However it is sweetly enjoyable anyway and I did find it to be quite charming in its own way – only really towards the final third does the lack of depth really become exposed and the film doesn't leave any lasting impression other than a general sense of charm.

Depp's involvement is a fine example of this – he is prominent in all the marketing but really he just plays to his looks and his sexy presence without ever adding layers to his character (not his fault, but that of the script). Binoche is better and does try hard to make more of her character than just being all sweetness and light; likewise Moss, Stormare, Dench, Olin and Koenig all try hard to bring out complex characters and dark layers and they nearly succeed but the film seems more interested in being charming and sweet. Molina is very good until the ending forces him down an obvious path but until then he does tend to steal most of his scenes. Depp is very charming and a welcome addition despite representing the failings of the film.

Direction is good and the film is charming but I didn't think this was enough. The plot goes just where you expect it to and asks too much of the audience to be won over by charm with no substance. Don't get me wrong, it is a "nice" film and was enough for me to enjoy in front of a nice coal fire on a cold night but by the end of the film I was left wishing it had managed to do more than just be "nice".

Excellent

Author: zizzbell from United Kingdom
29 May 2007

Having seen the movie and then read the book i'll admit i was a little shocked at how many changes were made but i suppose it would have been quite difficult to stay true to the story and so some of the changes were acceptable. but i think that two of the changes should not have been made. Firstly i was rather confused by the way they changed the setting of the film from the early 1990s to 1959 a rather pointless change i thought. And secondly in the film Viannes mother is portrayed as a tribal wanderer type of person supposedly spreading chocolate around France whereas in the book she is a rather more complex superstitious character who is more interested in Tarot cards than chocolate and it is Vianne who is interested in chocolate. But there you go. Obviously the film was intended to be a little more happy and "do gooder" than the rather dark book. Nevertheless i thoroughly enjoyed the film and it remains one of my favourites.

Your mouth will water.

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
14 August 2005

I actually was rooting for "Chocolat" to win Best Picture for 2000. If you're the type who easily gives in to temptation, then this is the movie for you. Vianne Rocher (Juliette Binoche) and her daughter open a chocolate shop in a small French town where the mayor has suppressed all forms of happiness. But once Vianne and her daughter start selling their chocolates, things start to change for the better. And some people in town don't like that.

"Chocolat" reminded me of "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar"...in a good way. The idea of an outsider coming in and upsetting the status quo always makes a good movie. This is a movie that neither your eyes, mouth or stomach can afford to miss.

Excelente

Author: rafika from Kuwait
15 April 2006

This is simply one of the best movies I have ever seen, and I have seen quite a few. Juliet Binoche is magnificent as Vianne--perfectly cast. Her daughter is a true gem. The story line is completely engaging. I loved this movie from beginning to end. It made me hungry, happy and utterly at home in the mysterious and yet somehow familiar landscapes and plot lines that the author creates for the audience to enter. The writing is almost poetic and the characters are all completely believable and true to type. The chocolate shop is not a shop at all, but rather a metaphor we are all drawn into. I was inspired by the courage of the protagonist, a strong female role model, and the events of the film that never let us rest for a moment. Definitely, this one gets two thumbs up.

Both artistic and very entertaining

Author: jackasstrange from United States
29 December 2013

Chocolat is a good film. The plot is indeed very good, and despite being simple at a first sight it have various layers and subtle symbolism, specifically in the 'chocolate' types. For example, for the boy with a spicy personality, bitter chocolate she offered. And to the woman depressed, scarred by life,with bitter personality, she then offered spicy chocolate. The chocolat itself represented some kind of a freedom and liberation of the repressed side of the persons. Very interesting, and it's definitely a film to be appreciated. The way the city reacts is also very curious. The characters which appears in the film have special kind of personality and a subtle meaning in them as well. And is up to the viewer to discover what these meanings are.

The art direction is also good, very suggestive and definitely is important to the film overall. The natural aura that the film exudes has much to do with the excellent work in the lightning and in the scenario,with rudimentary, but harmful stores in the small Italian city. The soundtrack is wonderful, and fits perfectly each scene. The acting is overall very good, Alfred Molina,Julliete Binoche and Judi Dench specifically are stunning in their roles.

I highly recommend this film. 8.2/10

Chocolat — The tale of a mother and her will to help using cocoa

Author: Avid Climber from Montreal, Canada
17 March 2013

Chocolat is about the oddball in the village, the outsider bringing new perspective. It's presented to us as a tale told from mother to daughter, almost like a legend.

The photography is beautiful. The sets are very immersive and realistic, with fitting wardrobe. The story is interesting and light hearted, with some hit of drama and laughters. The characters are well built and very well played.

The most annoying thing about this film is the mix of accent, real or false. I admit it's probably because French is my mother tongue, but still. You eventually get used to it though. Also, the ending is just too perfect, especially concerning the mayor. I know the whole story has a fairy- tale undertone, but he completely reverse not only his view on the stranger, but also his demeanor and his religious views on the sanctity of marriage. It's too much.

Still, I recommend to everyone, especially if you like a bit of romance and tall tales.

Magical Movie

Author: sbmicks from United States
14 June 2010

The movie Chocolat is a magical tale of a small village with many rules on how villagers are to live and act and behave. Then along comes a woman who enters their world and turns it upside down by allowing them to experience life to the fullest after opening a chocolaterie. As the villagers become more and more tempted to visit her shop, she is able to open their eyes through her chocolate to a world completely different from what they know and trust. At the same time, Vianne, the owner of the chocolaterie, struggles with her own desires as she is forced to follow the North wind as her mother did. Only when she decides to allow her mother's spirit alone to move on, does she begin to experience her own happiness. The theme of the story is about love and the experiences of life even if we must go against the ways of tradition and the past. It's about finding out what makes us happy and working towards it while respecting others. The major characters include the mayor (Alfred Molina) of the village who is always trying to do what is right even though his own private world is that of despair. The conflict between him and Vianne (Juliette Binoche) is very evident. Then the character Roux (Johnny Depp) is considered a "river rat" by the villagers but ends up as Vianne's own personal piece of chocolate that opens her eyes to happiness. Josephine (Lena Olin) is another woman in the village whose husband, Serge (Peter Stormare), is very abusive and when given the opportunity to leave and begin working with Vianne, she jumps on it. Armande (Judi Dench) is the landlord of Chocolatery and is faced with a broken relationship with her daughter. Armande does what she wants and says what she wants and her witty comments immediately draw you in. This movie is much more than romance, it's magic through the guilty pleasures of chocolate. The actors and actresses make you feel like you are right there wanting to experience life as they wish to. The costumes and setting throughout the movie is beautiful and make a remarkable contribution to the movie. The setting is important to this movie because it helps you become drawn in like you are truly there in this small village. The village buildings are beautiful as well as many other locations throughout the movie. The costumes are important as everyone wears very dull colors while Vianne (the outsider) wears red heals and bright colors. The movie is a must see and is very entertaining. The way the chocolate scene's become magical makes you want to be right there with her and become a part of it.

Page 2 of 50:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]