IMDb > Till Human Voices Wake Us (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A film like no other

Author: snafu-4 from Canada
2 February 2004

i had no expectations before watching this movie. I've heard very little about it but what i have heard was it was just plain bad. I honestly just watched it because Guy Pearce was in it, but if there is one thing we've learnt from watching Pearce's films is that he takes the complex unoridinary films and this is no exception. Firstly lets start with the plot. From reading other reviews you already know Pearce is a doctor and his leading lady has amnesia, but the film is so much more then that. Pearce's character goes back to where he grew up to barry his father and goes on a journey to recover the past that he never dealt with. It's truley an amazing story about the tragedy one boy experiances in his youth and how it has affected his life thus. Don't take my word for it and don't listen to all of those who have said the movie was bad or made no sense, watch it for yourself and you will see this is another one of Pearce's masterpeices.

A mysterious love story with beautiful cinematography

Author: Dan Hermon (Nurflugel9) from Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
31 October 2003

A psychiatrist (Guy Pearce) attending his father's funeral in his hometown rescues a mysterious woman (Helena Bonham Carter), whose suicide attempt triggers amnesia and leads to their rediscovery of her identity. Her possible relationship to his past (told in flashbacks) forms the core of the story. Pearce's and Carter's strong performances are only a part of this subtle, yet visually gorgeous love story. Beautiful photography in a film so strongly visual and sparse of dialog gives a contemplative feeling of a style more European than Australian. Convincing performances by the young actors portraying young Sam (Lindley Joyner) and Silvy (Brooke Harman) are at least as good, if not better than those of Pearce and Carter. While not a film with everything explicitly explained, it is a beautiful story of young love, subsequent loss and rediscovery of self. Leisurely paced, subtle and full of symbolism, see it with friends or your love who can appreciate good films. My initial viewing of it as a rental DVD prompted a subsequent discussion between my wife and I greater than for any other movie we have seen in the last six months and a second viewing immediately afterwards that confirmed a decision to add it to our movie library.

What a beautiful, poetic film

Author: LadyBeth10 from United States
1 May 2012

I just came across this film on The Movie Channel this morning. I'm home sick in bed, and there's not much else to do. Wow, am I glad I did. I don't know what other movies this writer/director has made, but believe me, I will look them up. I've only read other user reviews, and if the critics panned it, then I don't care to read theirs. Sometimes films that are not easily categorizable, get lost in the modern film market. Whether it is a ghost story, or a psychological gestalt is left up to the viewer's interpretation. I rarely come on here to post, but this film compelled me to do so. This film brought me to tears, both happy and sad. Like a beautiful poem, it unfolds slowly and heartbreakingly. The writing, direction, acting, cinematography, and score are excellent. I'm so glad I DVR'd it, because I'm watching it again. It does remind one of Bergman and some of Kurosawa's more personal films in it's intimate construction. But this filmmaker stands on his own. It haunts you and is absolutely unforgettable.

slice from deep world

Author: Armand from Romania
17 January 2013

seductive. for the art to determine yo believe that it is part of your experiences. delicate. like a spider web or ash of an old letter. beautiful. for music and acting. strange. for the charm without clear source. fragile. for the nuances of Guy Pearce performance. personal. because, in little/more aspects, it is our story. a silhouette from past. an accident. and a meeting as magic second chance. so, it is a kind of song. broken words but same music. same feelings. and the emotion to discover parts of you in a mirror with fragile frame. a poem ? may be. because poetry, in different way, it is its axis. but , in essence, it is only game. with words. with memories accuracy. with crumbs of fear. with desire to transform past in present continuous.

Requires active participation and effort.

Author: faroxby from Torrington, CT
28 June 2004

This film reminds me of a period in the Sixties when many "avant garde" films were produced that required that the viewer expend some effort of thought, while bringing a background of knowledge to bear, perhaps discussing afterward with friends,to explore a film which tries to expand your experience without limiting the ways it could be appreciated.

I prefer this kind of film precisely because it does not hand me its interpretation in a neat little package, but invites me to discover it. Perhaps, after a hard day in the cubicle, a facile, louder adventure may be more entertaining. But when you have rested, go back and watch this film again! You may just be surprised.

Wonderful dreamlike movie

Author: (deilenberger) from New Jersey, USA
27 April 2004

For those who don't get it.. I feel sorry for you.

I stumbled on this movie on the Sundance channel while flipping through channels. After 2 minutes - I was transfixed for the next 90.

The acting is understated. The cinematography is perfect.. it sucks you right into the mood of the movie. The actors playing the parts were ones where I couldn't think of anyone who could play the parts better. The quiet background added to the mood of the movie. The location, sets and pacing of the movie were just wonderful.

Enough people have explained too much of the plot of this movie - I was lucky - I never read a review or saw a plot synopsis before seeing the movie. I got to judge it with no preconceptions.

If you are a fan of great, quietly haunting movies that will leave you thinking about them after the movie is over, and telling other people who you think will appreciate it to see the movie - then watch it.

Watch it when you're relaxed, have no distractions and can give it your full attention.

If you are a fan of more action oriented movies, ones that stir your blood, more broadly played movies - this is probably not a movie for you. Skip it and don't bother panning it in a review. Different people appreciate different things - this isn't one you'll like.

On a scale of 1-10, it comes in at a very high 9.5.

Great file played like a fine painting

Author: EMBXS1 from United States
27 April 2004

Thsi film reminded me of being in a museum looking at one of my favorite paintings. As I view it many thoughts moved through my mind as the aspects of the piece hit all of my senses and mental states. There were parts of the film that made me well up with good feelings and others that made me feel a subtle tug of the sadness of mortality and the fraility of mankind and life. The sweetness of youth and the sweet romanticism of the young version of the main male character made me see how much people lose as they grow up. You could just feel the soft tender bond between him and the girl as children. Rarely do grown men and women dare to have such intimacy and what a shame they do not. I give the file an 8.5 out of ten because the the ending could have been a bit stronger and better directed.

Subdued, yet deeply provocative

Author: toxictears from Aussie
20 March 2004

A very subdued, yet imensely stirring and provocative film, cutting to the depth of human emotion.

You know a movie is great when after watching it, you're just, silent in awe, and do not want to rush into watching another movie, or doing anything for a matter of fact, except absorb the after effects for as long as they last.

Till Human Voices Wake Us, takes you on a ride, as all films do, yet it is more of a gentle float, where you are allowed to take in the surroundings and events, and digest it at will, thus giving the viewer room to feel more deeply the emotions of the characters at ones own pace.

Subdued, yet deeply provocative

Author: toxictears from Aussie
20 March 2004

See it for L. Joyner's acting & Helena Bonham Carter's looks

Author: Rickee from Seattle
6 September 2003

A very uneven movie. A psychiatrist (Guy Peirce) returns to his home town to bury his father. While there, he saves a would-be suicide (Helena Bonham Carter) and has a lot of flashback memories to a traumatic experience in his youth. Eventually it turns out that there's a connection between the memories and the woman he saved.

The lesson of the movie is self-forgiveness and putting the past behind you. It is rather obvious and that's one the weaknesses of the movie. Also, the characters spend a lot more time interacting with their own thoughts than they do with each other, so the movie has lots of long scenes with no dialog in which we watch a character just thinking. The most intriguing character, the father of the psychiatrist's girlfriend when he was a teenager, is barely seen.

Mainly I was left feeling frustrated, because it would have been so easy to make this into a really good movie: Have more interaction between the characters, make the plot a bit more complicated and make the moral of the story a bit less obvious.

The best acting is done by Lindley Joyner who plays the psychiatrist as a teenager. Joyner is very natural and charismatic. He could be a star. The scenes set in the present time with Peirce and Bonham Carter aren't nearly as interesting. Her character is the most sketchily written. In fact, there's almost no character there at all. I can't honestly say that she overcomes the material and fills out the character, but she doesn't drag the movie down either.

Physically, Bonham Carter looks as great as ever. They allow her to look her age for once, and she must be the best looking 35 year old in history. In one scene near the end of the movie she has no eye make-up on which I believe is unique in her career. (The scene proves that she needs no eye makeup!)

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]