IMDb > Slackers (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Slackers

Slackers More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 11: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Had potential to be average, but ended up being very mediocre

Author: Alex Thomas (awthomas100@yahoo.com) from Birmingham, England
9 December 2002

This film started off as your average American, MTV-generation, teen-college comedy. Sadly it deteriorated into an abysmally cheesy Animal House wannabe. Note to producers: Animal House = funny. Van Wilder/Slackers/whatever = not funny. These films are lame. Fact. When the scriptwriters go to producers and say; "You know what? I've got a great idea for a teen comedy. It's about this guy and a girl, and the guy may get thrown out of college..."- they should be branded with a hot poker to remind him NEVER EVER do this again. This style is turgid, yet sadly refuses to die out.

Terrible

Author: noahk from Maryland
15 June 2002

Although I had some hopes for this film, particularly since I enjoy the acting of Jason Segel (Freaks & Geeks, Undeclared) so much, I must say it was one of the worst films I've seen in recent memory (Loser and Dr T and the Women are also on that list).

Yes, there were a couple of laugh out loud moments, although the movie could have been so much better. The premise was not bad- scam artists cheating their way through college meet their match when they're discovered by someone with a proposition for them. The problem is that the characters were all so unlikable, that I didn't care about any of them. The blackmailer (played by talented Jason Schwartzman) was such a psychopath that it wasn't that funny to watch him- he wasn't deranged in a particularly funny or charming way, he was just a crazy loser, who was actually rather dangerous and not fun to watch. The editing of the movie was hard to follow-- it kept cutting between fantasy and reality and it was often unclear which was which. Only two or three of the gang's scams were really shown, you just had to take it on faith that they were indeed scam artists-- showing their schemes would have made for a better movie. The so-called love story was absurd and unbelievable, in fact it was silly and poorly written and directed throughout. I could go on about the movie's shortcomings, but you get the idea. Not worth the $4 rental or the gas it takes to drive to and from the movie store to rent!

CAN WE EVEN CLASSIFY THIS AS A "MOVIE"??????!!!!!!

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
2 February 2002

Not to my surprise, Dewey Hicks (director of this disaster) has NO films on his filmography. When I say this guy can't direct his way out of a paper bag--I mean it literally! And whoever edited this film must've fallen asleep. The movie has no rhythm whatsoever! It is all over the map--to say the least! I'd rather watch some stranger's home movies.

There is not one appealing character present in the script. Who are we supposed to root for? Should Jason Schwartzman get the girl? Should Devon Sawa get the girl? I really don't give a damn!!! All I was rooting for was the time...to go faster! I've never looked at my watch more times in my life. And this is only a ninety-minute film! That's a shame!

Schwartzman is a terrific actor, and I see real potential in the young man. I wasn't a fan of "Rushmore"--in fact, I pretty much dread the film--but I still saw a great star-making quality in Schwartzman. He took a long break from film, before he took on this obnoxious role. Well, he made an appearance on Conan, and he mentioned that he is doing a movie with Al Pacino, and another one with Mickey Rourke. So hopefully, he will lead a promising career, AVOIDING lame flicks like this.

The gags are flat as a board, which is how I felt--BORED!! How can you make a female masturbation gag fall flat? And there's one unpleasant gag involving an over-the-hill bimbo exposing her raggedy breasts and asking Schwartzman to sponge-bathe them. Please explain how that was supposed to be funny? This film doesn't even make an effort! OK, so this is a R-rated comedy and besides the two gags I mentioned (and one involving a singing sock puppet on someone's penis), this is the not the teen gross-out comedy you would anticipate. But that's not saying much. All I'm asking for is some laughs!

Why, oh why, did Cameron Diaz have a cameo in this film? And what surprises me even more is that her appearance wasn't unbilled! If you check out the cast list on the IMDB, it says "Cameron Diaz as herself." BTW, Gena Gershon also has a cameo. But her name is nowhere to be found. Gena, you did the right thing!

Most of these teen flicks are really lame, but they usually have some so-bad-it's-good qualities to make them somewhat watchable. "Slackers" is not only bad, not only incompetent, but it's one of the most boring films I've seen in a long, long time! And that is why this movie scrapes the bottom of the barrel of teen comedies. I would put this movie alongside "Drive Me Crazy" with Melissa Joan Hart.

The real slackers are all the people involved in making this "comedy"! I don't see how ANYONE can enjoy this movie!

My score: 2 (out of 10)

One positive note: There's a cool rendition of "Teenage Wasteland" at the opening of the film.

Title is an apt name for the filmmakers...

Author: Matt..377 from United States
2 February 2002

A standard premise: a geeky college student blackmails a few cheaters into ingratiating him upon the girl for whom he has the hots. What he doesn't figure is that the scheme will backfire.

Formulaic, sophomoric comedy with a few sporadic chuckles, takes an odd turn at the climax which leaves the viewer confused as to whom exactly the main character was in the story. I won't reveal more than that, for I'll leave that to the moviegoers.

*1/2 out of ****

OK, yes, it is stupid, but ...

Author: Full_Name_Optional from Australia
27 January 2004

When I began to watch this film I was thinking typical teen movie, not your average "American Pie" when it comes to the romance, but ... when it comes to the gross-out humour? You've got to say: is that really necessary? But I didn't take this film seriously, because as it progressed I figured that that isn't the way we were supposed to perceive it. It gives you quite a laughs, it makes you cover your eyes on several occassions (OK, I'm really just thinking of the hospital scene) but once it's over -- it's over. It doesn't really stick in your memory, but you do remember it and once someone brings up the subject of the film you can talk about (or bitch about it, depends on your feelings.) I do have one note: well worth seeing it for Jason Schwartzman alone. The hair doll, the songs which were written by the actor himself, and the fact that he substitutes the, er, F-word for effing and fudge, but still calls himself "Cool Ethan". You don't have to buy this film, you don't even have to love it, but this is teen comedy folks (perhaps not as its greatest). Thank you and good night. However, it is the afternoon...

So So teen comedy

Author: DunnDeeDaGreat from Woodbridge, VA
23 October 2002

Slackers is a so so teen comedy. I mean the film has a few one liners and a couple of gross out parts but all in all it's a waste of time. Jason Schartzmen who made such a memorable debut in Rushmore is wasted, the same goes for Devon Sawa who made a splash in Final Desnation. For die hard teen movie fans only.

Freaks & Geeks

Author: Patrick Brogan from Glendale, Arizona, U.S.A.
5 March 2002

I have two theories on how the movie SLACKERS got made: 1.) a few years ago, a group of screenwriters made a bet and put in a pool of money to see on who can write a screenplay for the most disgusting and sick film. Other contenders besides SLACKERS were SAVING SILVERMAN, FREDDIE GOT FINGERED, TOMCATS, NOT ANOTHER TEEN MOVIE, etc. 2.) the studio executive saw the box office gross for THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY and AMEICAN PIE and decided to look for a screenplay for the most gross-out jokes, and decided that sick jokes in a movie spell out M-O-N-E-Y!!!!! SLACKERS is the latest release of Hollywood movies that has deadbeat and stoned out men, buxom females, and body fluids that are (fill in the blank)________________ A.)shown B.)drunk C.)worn D.)played with. I used "freaks & geeks" for my summary quote because that is what the film consist of. There are geeks in the film, take for instance Jason Schwartzman character of Ethan. Then there are freaks, a lot of freaks, in fact this movie is a freak show. I say that because when one sees a feak show, it's not enjoyable or fun. No, it's shocking and disgusting and the things you see consist of shock that you will never get out of your memory.

What is shocking about this film? Could it be how Laura Prepon (from the enjoyable t.v. sitcom THAT 70's SHOW) lying down on a couch, masterbating while a man she never met before is in the room. Or Jason Schwartzman who shaved his chest hair in a shape of a "A" for devotion to the girl he is obsessed with, Anglea (James King). Or Schwartzman again, giving a sponge bath/massage for 71 year old Mamie Van Doren (the legendary actress who was up to par with beauty as Maryln Monroe and Jane Mansfield), in which Van Doren exposes her breast and you see Schwartzman fondling them. I haven't mention the talent that roommate Jeff (Michael C. Maronna) can do with his body organ while singing "Comin' Round the Mountain." Is there a plot to this film? No. It's just a series of continious gross out jokes that doesn't entertain the audience, but it just makes them sick. I enjoy comedies, and if the jokes are sick (i.e. any of the Farley Brothers films) they can be funny. But just one shock and sick joke after another doesn't entertain me, or it probably wouldn't entertain anyone else. I don't know what to make of this movie. But there will be images of this movie that will stick with me forever in a negative way. A joke should be funny or surprising, not terrifying or gruesome. When there is a comedy that I like, I'll think of the funny scene in the movie and remember that there are more funny scenes coming up. Like ROYAL TENENBAUMS where Gene Hackman tells his kids that he's dying, that's a funny scene. Or in ZOOLANDER where Ben Stiller's character of Derek Zoolander is in a blue collar bar where his mining father played by Jon Voight and his brain dead brothers (one of them is played by Vince Vaughn) sees a commercial of Zoolander dressed up like a mermaid. Or MEET THE PARENTS during the dinner table scene where Ben Still lies to Robert DeNiro, Blythe Danner, and Teri Polo how he grew up in a house in the suburbs with a lot of pets and milked cats. Or ROAD TRIP where the guys stop at another university and housed a all African American frat house. Jokes like that are funny. In fact, those four movies with those scenes are funnier than all of SLACKERS. I would call this the worst movie of 2002, but I can't since I've already seen KUNG POW: ENTER THE FIST. But it does come close. * (out of five)

I'M SORRY BUT I LIKED THIS MOVIE

Author: Norrin Radd
9 February 2002

is it high art? no. but this movie will definitely find an audience on video. i had extremely low expectations for this movie, but wanted to see it for jason schwartzman. it starts with a symphonic version of Baba O'Reily which pretty much immediately won me over. this is definitely a guilty pleasure movie and it has a horrible title. but i think history will be kinder to it than most of it's other contemporaries fare. plus james king is smoking.

Avoid like the plague. Save your money.

Author: johan leupen (johanleupen@hotmail.com) from Amsterdam
5 May 2004

Yet another venture into the realm of the teen-gross-out-comedy, set on a college campus featuring a nerd's quest to coolness, and how he decides to blackmail a trio of popular jocks into making him get the girl. It's all been done before, and it's all been done in a far more satisfying manner. The gross-out humor that has made teen flicks like "American Pie" and "Dude! Where's my Car" so popular is taken completely out of context in this installment, appearing so completely at random that the viewer can only frown and disapprove. The film is badly written, and the actors never succeed in making any of it even slightly bearable. I won't even dignify this terrible picture by divulging, as it's a waste of my time and yours. At best, Slackers never manages to entertain or induce laughter, and at worst it is excruciatingly bad and at times completely unwatchable.

Jason Schwarzman, who impressed in his debut Rushmore, humiliates himself by appearing in this picture and one wonders how a career can end up in the toilet so fast. Please avoid, please avoid. Save your money.

decent movie

Author: brad mason from usa
3 May 2004

As a sexy comedy,this movie works.The plot seems a bit too contrived,but the acting is good.Devon Sawa is a former child star and DiCaprio type of teen heartthrob who is doing well with adult roles. He was great in NOW AND THEN(1995) as the boyfriend and in IDLE HANDS(1999) as the pothead. SLACKERS is a good grown-up role for him, although he will ultimately need better scripts if he is to break out and become a major star.

Scwartzman is fantastic. He reprises his role from RUSHMORE,but he plays it in a more seedy, hateful, sociopathic way.And King, what can one says? She is terrific.

I was not looking at this flick with too critical of an eye. It is not Shakespeare. But if you don't mind some raunchy humor, realistic language,and brief nudity, this film works on its own level as a college comedy.

Page 7 of 11: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]