IMDb > Scorn (2000) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Scorn (TV) More at IMDbPro »

From someone vaguely involved...

Author: dharmabum from Vancouver, Canada
10 October 2000

Darren was a friend of mine in high school before he moved to Vancouver Island. I knew him up until he was taken into custody, and visited their home many times in Saanich. I didn't know his two friends portrayed in the film, and won't comment much on their performances (enjoyable and effective). Most creepy for me was to see his attempt at drowning his grandmother in their home in Tsawwassen, as I recalled he came over to my house to visit immediately afterwards.

Eric's portrayal is nothing short of brilliant. The mannerisms, the sudden outbursts of profanity, the intensity, his odd manner with other people... they were all there on the screen. It is obvious he spent a fair amount of time with Darren in preparation for the role.

Overlooked, perhaps, will be the performance of his mother, which gave me chills in recalling her memory.

There were other factors (most notably, his heavily involved RPG addiction and it's significant impact) involved in Darren's descent, but they were wisely chose to focus on his obsession with Caligula, and the words of Camus' brilliant play bring a haunting classic style to the film at times.

While some bits were a tad overdone (I recall his car being a Toyota Supra without personalized plates, not a BMW, and I never saw him wear a cravat, for instance) for effect, this is not to be missed.

Cheers to the film makers, and the actors. Thank you.

A Pleasant Surprise from Our Neighbors

Author: Ron Smolin (rsmolin@ix.netcom.com) from Philadelphia
22 December 2003

Thanks, Canada, for this well done TV movie, filled with intelligence and visionary material, with excellent acting and images. The story itself provides a close look at the mind of evil --acting without any regard for consequences. Did Darren engineer the murders just for the money? Or was he also angry enough because he was scorned by his mother for his sexual proclivities? In any event, this is a fine TV film.

A mindgripping journey trough the mind of a killer

Author: cinema-30 from Kopavogur, Iceland
1 October 2000

This is an absoulute masterpiece. A journey throug the darkest corners of a killers mind. A greek drama set in modern time. And it's true and accurate in all sense. Thats the most mind bugging part of it. It is a film that grows deeper on you as time passes. I was absoulutely taken all the time and kept thinking and admiring the craft of this filmmaking, for hours afterwards. Eric in the role of the killer, that had lost all sence of reality in his makebelieve, sterile, upperclass existance, delivers his part in "Oscar" bravour. The art direction, filming, rithm, passage, lighting, direction, performances and a brilliant script. All is flawless and makes this film a feast to see. It takes you. It holds you and does'nt let go untill days later. It is the best docudrama on murder I have seen. So suttle and down to earth, character oriented and scaringly real without any blood or gore. I think it will surprice its own makers in succsess. Congratiolations Sturla!