IMDb > Ocean's Eleven (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ocean's Eleven

Ocean's Eleven More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 87: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Extremely re-watchable

Author: tastyhotdogs from Australia
30 April 2006

One of the better action/comedies going around.

The movie revolves around a couple of thieves (Clooney and Pitt) who conceive a brilliant idea of how to rob a casino of millions. Danny Ocean (Clooney) needs another 9 men though to pull this off (get it, Oceans 11) and goes about finding a group of specially skilled cons to help pull off his elaborate plan (great cast including Don Cheadle, Bernie Mac and Matt Damon).

For the genre the action is fantastic, and there's no guns. The chemistry, thanks largely to the writing, between Danny and Tess (Julia Roberts), is excellent. To top it off there's some great jokes and one-liners too.

Great plot, great cast and great writing make this one of the best of it's genre and one of the most re-watchable movies ever.

Fun ride to crime

Author: robertmas342 from United States
28 April 2006

In my opinion (humble or not) 2001 was the heist year. David Mammet put in his two cents with Heist. Edward Norton, Robert Deniro and Marlon Brando teamed up for The Score . Even that Kevin Costner piece of crap 3000 Miles to Graceland involved a casino heist. Steven Soderburgh also threw his hat into the heist genre ring with a little movie called Oceans 11.

Oceans 11 is a 'remake' the 1960 'classic'. I put remake in quotes because the movies are quite different and I put classic in quotes because the original was drek. George Clooney had they easy job of replacing Frank Sinatra as Daniel Ocean, the brains behind the scene. Frank Sinatra was in one good movie (Manchurian Candidate) that I have seen and he is the reason I find it hard to watch that movie again. He was never a good actor and I am not sure he was even that good of a singer. That being said, George Clooney did a great job taking over his gig. As for the movie, I found it interesting. Clever, fun, enjoyable.

Better Than the Original

Author: BrohmaBull007 from United States
15 April 2006

Apparently its better than the 1960 classic. The director took a somewhat thin plot and he built on it and made this movie watchable. George Clooney shines as Danny Ocean making everything he does cool. His character is definitely like James Bond but more cheeky comments. Brad Pittt does an outstanding job playing the goofy right hand man. I didn't have much hope for him but he proved me wrong. Matt Damon plays the nerdy little Linus Caldwell to perfection. Andy Garcia as the villain is surprisingly well done and Julia Roberts plays the "EX" well. The plot was very cool which involved many twists and turns. They took the simple plot of robbing a casino and they added this HUGE twist at the end to leave you on the edge of your seat. The music here adds a nice tone with the sensational jazz tunes from David Holmes. Shows like Thief or Heist don't have enough....... originality or plot to entertain you. Ocean's Eleven is the original heist movie that is done to perfection. You cant beat the original. Definitely go rent this movie as you should be satisfied. If you rent the DVD be sure to check out the hilarious commentary from Pitt, Damon, and Garcia. Overall great heist movie that will leave you gripped and moved 'til the ending credits.

The classic matinée experience

Author: Framescourer from London, UK
19 March 2006

Stars, laughs, action delivered at speed and with no expense spared. This might almost be enough but Soderbergh has made a film that also has a good story and manages to persuade the cast to act when they're not simply enjoying themselves.

The complexity of the story is well managed in its telling (direction and editing) but the real fun is in discovering the cast's personalities. Everyone's interesting - it's testament to how carefully Soderbergh has judged this vignette issue that a non-English speaking role (Shaobo Quin as Yen) is well integrated without having to make an obvious 'what's he saying?' joke every time he features. Brad Pitt, surprisingly, is probably the most prone to putting himself on screen in place of his character.

Terrific fun. 8/10

The Hitchhikers Guide to rob a Casino....or should i say CasinoS

Author: perry_mason_i from India
17 March 2006

This movie is simply awesome..now, i don't associate the word awesome with any movie i come across, but the story line of Ocean's 11 rocks. The star cast is quite impressive and the acting is kinda fresh..loads of comedy and a lot of moments where the movie makes you think.."How the F*** did they do that"!! Clooney's acting as Danny Ocean is quite impressive, but i think Brad Pitt was wasted as Rusty Ryan. Andy Garcia handled the role of Terry Benedict quite nicely. Now coming to the plot..Las Vegas is the gambling hot-spot of the world..and the sort of money that flows in and out of the casinos is in millions..the sort of money everyone dreams of. Eleven guys decide to rob three of the largest casinos in Las Vegas with the help of a 'Pinch', a High Flying Chinese boy and yes..lots of smart talk..I won't spoil your fun by telling you whether they succeed or not...this movie is definitely worth a watch. Highly recommended. 8.5/10

Ocean's eleven is the coolest movie on earth!

Author: perusbaltero-1 from Espoo, Finland
7 March 2006

Ocean's eleven is very entertaining and easy to watch. Even on the 2nd or 3rd time you watch it, it will be as funny and clever as on your first time.

Still it won't rise up to be one of movie history classics because of it's lack of character personalities. The viewer must use his/her own imagination to create a character profile for each role in the movie. This could also be a good thing but in this particular film, it makes the atmosphere a bit cold and far-fetched. Enjoyable film though!

And Ocean's twelve then...? I won't even go there, they should have ended it on one film

Pure, Top Class Entertainment!

Author: Max_cinefilo89 from Italy
18 February 2006

Wanna watch a movie which isn't particularly demanding, but not a shallow, no-brains blockbuster either? Then try Ocean's Eleven. It's a witty and stylish crime comedy whose purpose is solely to entertain for a couple of hours. And entertain it does.

As the title suggests, the film has 11 protagonists: they're all con-men, and they're uniting for the biggest heist in history. The target? The Bellagio, a huge Las Vegas casino. The motive? None in particular, except perhaps the fact that the casino's owner, Terry Benedict (Andy Garcia), is dating Tess Ocean (Julia Roberts), who just happens to be team-leader Danny's (George Clooney) ex-wife. The fun can begin...

The movie is a remake of a '60s Rat Pack flick, but you don't need to have seen that film, or even heard of it. Just think of the 2001 Ocean's Eleven as an ordinary action comedy, and you'll still have a great time.

The screenplay has a vital role in this movie's success: the plot is expertly constructed, so that it will be captivating but not too complex, and Steven Soderbergh brings it to the screen with brilliance and elegance.

But what really makes this film special is the cast: every single actor is absolutely comfortable with the various roles, and even though the focus is on some people (Clooney, Garcia, Roberts, plus Brad Pitt and Matt Damon), the other members of the ensemble (including Don Cheadle, Bernie Mac, Carl Reiner and Elliott Gould) have their chance to shine too. I was particularly impressed by Garcia's performance, which somehow reminded me of his unforgettable Godfather character ("Congratulations. You're a dead man.").

Highly recommended. It won't annoy you for a second.

8,5/10

Excellent plan!

Author: cooling_boy1 from Sweden
12 February 2006

This movie was so great. The plot is very interesting and the actors play their roles very well. The robbery the plan in the movie is rather daring and it makes the movie even better. It's great planning and also some funny movements in this movie. It contains almost all entertaining things that you need in a movie. It is very exciting too. I really like these kind of movies and wish that they will continue doing these kind of movies. Tis is really one of my top ten favorites movies of all times! When i first saw this movie in a shop i didn't think it would be that great. I just thought that it could be a rather good movie to look at. I really recommend you to see this movie if you haven't done it yet!

Great Fun

Author: George Attwood from Canada
3 February 2006

OCEAN'S ELEVEN (2001) **** Ultraslick feature that follows the story of a simultaneous three-hit heist in Las Vegas' most popular casinos that are run by owner Terry Benedict. Danny Ocean leads the heist, recruiting eleven specialists to help get the job done. But money isn't all he's after: he also plans to take back his long-lost ex-wife who's affection belongs with Benedict. The star-packed ensemble of players are who liven this feature. George Clooney makes an appealing comedic turn as Ocean; Brad Pitt is great as the know-how guy who eventually takes over the heist; Matt Damon and Julia Roberts are equally fine support to the film. Don't miss the fun!

Slick.

Author: shanfloyd from India
18 December 2005

Ocean's Eleven is one of the slickest films I've ever seen... to tell the simple truth. Soderbergh, a very talented director as he is, creates the perfect atmosphere of complex story, suspense, comedy and style. And he's got a bunch of stars to adorn this project of his, also helped out by taut and smart script. I haven't seen the Sinatra-starred film on which this is based upon, yet I don't think that one can never come close to this in terms of both story and standard.

Speaking about the cast, I must say finally George Clooney is a relief to watch this time, after all the intolerable films he has done in recent past. Matt Damon, highly unutilised in this film, glitters in his short opportunities. Julia Roberts is as sophisticated as usual, bringing a classic touch to the atmosphere. Don Cheadle tries a fake accent which could have been a disaster if he would get a bigger role. However, the two actors who really stole the show are Brad Pitt and Andy Garcia. Pitt gives a perfect and passionate performance as Rusty. He's got the looks, got the attitude and here he does the job. Garcia's take on Benedict nicely shows the role's multifaceted character.

I wouldn't spoil too much by discussing the story. I can only say, the major plot twist is just brilliant. I have seen such type of films quite a lot and I never predict even a particle of their original plan. The ending, some may not like it, I thought very necessary. In the end, "Ocean's Eleven" may not be a classic film, but certainly one of the best films of its genre.