« Prev | 123 of 379 Episodes | Next »

Concerts like this don't happen every day!

Author: Rob Keenan from Seattle, WA
13 May 2000

Do you like showtunes? Better yet, do you like women singing showtunes? Or, even better yet, do you like DIVAS singing showtunes? This televised concert manages to string together a fantastic cast of fantastic women singing fantastic songs. While the "Lloyd Webber Love Trio" is trite and could have been left out, there is a plethora of excellent material here, much of it under-performed. Highlights include Karen Ziemba's "I Wanna Be a Rockette," complete with the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes right behind her, Audra McDonald's hilarious turn with "Down With Love," and Liza Minnelli singing the [expletive deleted] out of "Some People."

I can see that some of you are still shaking your heads -- but this show has not one, not two, but three "must-see" performances that absolutely stopped the show cold. The first is Linda Eder ("Jekyll and Hyde") brilliantly singing "Man of La Mancha." The second appears shortly thereafter -- Jennifer Holliday's heartbreaking ballad "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going." But the third, the concert's last solo, is Elaine Stritch singing Stephen Sondheim's witty (and bitchy!) diatribe against "The Ladies Who Lunch." This great actress, singing this great song, is alone worth the purchase price of this concert.

Shows where the real singers are...

Author: Danny
23 February 2003

...and it's not performing at the VMAs. While I don't care for everyone's voice (actually, there's a lot I just skip), the one's worth watching are REALLY worth watching. Obvious favorites are Jennifer Holliday, Linda Eder (amazing in this), and Audra McDonald. However, my absolute favorite was Anna Kendrick-such talent for a younger girl. Worth watching.

Best performances

Author: stephencramer from New York, NY
15 January 2006

My friends and I still get together and watch this!! We always watch the same performances, because we skip some too. The ones that are INCREDIBLE (maybe some of the best on DVD) are:

Linda Eder: Man of La Mancha; Jennifer Holliday: And I'm Telling You; The Andrew Lloyd Weber love Trio; Audra McDonald: Down with Love; Debra Monk: Everybody's Girl (she had so much fun with this!)

and only if your drunk (because it's hilarious!!) watch Liza Minelli's performance of Some People from Gypsy!!! She's a mess and it's great!

All of these performances are captivating in their own way. I wish they would do specials like this more often. You will not be disappointed!

A Night Out On the Town Doesn't Get Any Better Than This!

Author: mel (clacified) from New Jersey
24 October 2001

Absolute must see. Every performance is amazing. Definitely a DIVAS night, and although they may all be trying to outsing each other, its impossible to compare them because they all killed their songs. Best performances: Marrin Mazzie -Bewitched-, Linda Eder -Man of La Mancha-, Jennifer Holiday - And Im Telling You...- Debra Monk - Everybodys Girl, an AUDRA MCDONALD!! -Down With Love. Every performance was excellent, although I think they could have left out Andrea McArdle's -Tomorrow- did she really have to sing THAT song? Other than that, it was an evening that would have blown you away if you were there and still is unbelievable on vhs/dvd. Tony Roberts and Robert Morse's intro was witty, and it couldn't have been hosted by any other person than the infamous Julie Andrews. Excellent!!!!!!

LINDA EDER ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: Lara (EderFan1@aol.com) from USA
6 October 2001

If you want to hear the best voice in the entire world see The Leading Ladies of Broadway and listen to Linda Eder sing! Get the original Broadway cast recording of Jekyll and Hyde. She plays Lucy in it and she is AMAZING! And get the CD's called "It's Time" and "It's No Secret Anymore" to hear more of Linda's AWESOME voice! YEA LINDA!!!! And the other stuff on this video is good too if you like Broadway. I LOVE Broadway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!