IMDb > Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 52:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

You either love it or hate it -- and I loved it!!!!

Author: dakotaj from United States
17 February 2005

I laughed so hard I could hardly breathe. This is one of the funniest films I have ever seen.

The Screen-It Our Take reviewer doesn't like "silly" humor. I do. My most common comments while watching: "That's SO STUPID!!" (when I could catch a breath from laughing) and "What was THAT??"

There are no swear words, no realistic violence, and no sex scenes. It's just FUN!! My 13-year-old son & I rented it and watched it twice in one week. It was even funnier the second time.

My husband hated it. He thought it was the most "un-funny" film he'd ever seen.

You either love it or hate it.

It all depends on your sense of humor

Author: harryotter from United States
2 June 2005

The first time i heard of Steve Odekerk was when I first saw the movie "Thumb Wars" on UPN, I found it to be so stupid that it was hilarious. After I saw the movie I quickly went out and bought all six in the series and loved everyone, now the humor in these movies is the stupid off the wall type that I love. Now Kung Pow is the same way and has the most random unexplainable humor that I have seen in a movie. Now I personally love this kind of humor but not everyone does, so I would say if you saw any of his other movies like Ace or Juwanna man these are more "normal" movies and aren't good to go by. But if you have seen the thumb movies or just love weird humor you will love this movie, I loved but that doesn't mean you will, so my advice is if you don't like stupid comedy don't watch this but if you like that kind of stuff you should check it out.

Best movie ever!

Author: Damon W
10 May 2005

From the man who brought you ThumbWars(My name is Ubidoob Banubi. I have the silliest name in the galaxy!), ThumbTanic(This won't help us! This is a monkey!) and every other great thumb film. Steve Oedekerk, a god amongst men, brings us another hit. This film has everything from a CGI kung-fu cow to Woah, the one breasted kung-fu chick. And who can forget Wimp-Lo, who the crane clan purposefully trained wrong (I am bleeding, making me the victor!).

This is single handedly the funniest film I have ever watched. Not many films can get me going like this one did. I still remember the moment when I knew this was possibly the greatest film of all time. The moment just after ling said "He's dead. Except for his hair and nails, dead." What happened after wards took me completely by surprise.

My dream film is to have Steve Oedekerk and Jhonen Vasquez work on a film together. They are the funniest men in the film industry today.

'Enter' the theater and get ready to laugh!

Author: Christopher Smith
25 January 2002

There's a good chance that when you saw the trailers and TV spots for this movie the first word that came to your mind was "stupid". Yes, this a stupid movie. It's one of the stupidest movies I have ever seen to be honest, but it is also one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Up until I saw this movie earlier today, I hadn't seen one good movie in 2002 so I can say that this is the best move of 2002..so far. No jokes fall flat [except the gay henchman was sort of annoying at times], the action scenes are well done, and it's always a treat to see really bad movies get spoofed. ****

Funniest, but stupid, movie I have ever seen!

Author: Forrest Gerst (dodgeit@dodgeit.com) from United States
1 February 2005

This movie was one of the funniest movies I have seen in some time. It was quite refreshing compared to some so called "comdies". I knew it was going to be quite a movie when, at the beginning, the chosen one rolled down the hill and the woman picked him up and said "so cute" and continued to roll him down the hill. I also felt that the "Mufasha" seen was a hilarious parody to the Lion King. Even though there were some stupid scenes, I rate this move a 10. Perhaps, also, one of the funniest scenes, is where the chosen one falls down the water fall and yells "whale!" and a killer whale fall of the cliffs into the depths of the waterfall. I rolled around on the ground in laughter, and I mean this literally.

I liked it.

Author: Aaron1375
11 May 2003

I have watched my fair share of dubbed foreign movies in my time. I have also seen a lot of subtitled movies. I prefer subtitled because with dubbing I always felt that sometimes the people dubbing the movie were leaving stuff out or changing what the characters said just to fit their mouths. Here we have a guy who not only changes what they say to a ridiculous degree, he also added himself to the flick. This movie is actually an old martial arts movie. The dubbing has been changed though and some new scenes were added. I found this movie very hilarious. Though it is probably just me, as this one didn't score very well. I don't care though cause it just worked for me. I usually find with comedies though that I prefer the obscure stuff to the more mainstream hits that usually show all the highlights in the trailers. The weakest parts of this one are the scenes that were added to the movie while the best stuff is when the main character interjects himself into the movie or adds things to the original movie. Though none of it to me was particularly weak. You may want to read other reviews though as this is not a comedy for every one.

The funniest film I've ever seen

Author: Sam Chase from Brighton
29 July 2004

This film is a masterpiece of comic re-dubbing. Sure it's nothing artistic but everyone I show it to loves it. It really is very very good. Yeah, this film is dumb, but in a way which makes it hilarious. I can't wait for the sequel.

The characters include a kung fu master named moon view, who is in fact, more bovine than you expect; a martial arts student who has developed his own style - face to foot style, which he uses to battle his opponents and an armada of french space invaders. You won't find anything else like it.

Needs to be watched in the right mind-set

Author: Ari from United States
17 May 2006

I first saw Kung-Pow on DVD with friends who had seen it in the theater and loved it. But they said that people had been walking out of the theater, lots of people. Despite this, I still watched. Everyone around me knew the jokes, and knew when to laugh. I quickly picked up on Oedekerk's sense of humor in this movie, and I ended up loving the movie. If it hadn't been for my friends, I could easily see myself hating this movie too.

There are so many things that seem like mistakes, but are done *on purpose* by Oedekirk. If it looks like a mistake, it's probably a joke. After all, it is a spoof type movie.

The perfect satire of a unique genre

Author: brentsoffcenter from O.C., CA, USA
12 September 2006

The more of a basic understanding of the history and genre of this movie type the viewer has, the more he will appreciate the good natured satire that celebrates it. Oedekerk exploits all of the essential points of this movie style's formula, and does so from a very alert and skillful standpoint. The extra attention and energy given to the inherent goofs and inconsistencies in the original movie ("Tiger And Crane Fists", Hong Kong, 1976) are priceless. The accuracy of the spoofing, and its entire purpose in this film has been needed for quite some time (since 1976), and it's very welcome and highly applauded by those of us who appreciate satire at its best. This film deserves an award.

Thought provoking and tense drama...

Author: Danny_G13 from Glasgow, Scotland
20 December 2004

Only kidding :) Kung Pow is in a league of its own in terms of calibre. It's a slapstick 'chop socky' martial arts comedy full of silliness and ridiculous dialogue. Its vehicle is that it uses old footage of kung fu films such as Enter the Dragan and overlays its modern content onto them. Plus add intentionally bad dubbing and you have a movie which never for a second tries to be subtle, ingenious, or intelligent.

Kung Pow is absolutely, 100% absurdity and it uses this to its fullest extent.

The plot, if that's what you'd call it, is a mocking of just about every martial arts classic which has a 'wrong fella decides to wreak revenge on the nasty sorts who ruined his life' style story.

Steve Oedekerk is 'The Chosen One' whose mission it is to get revenge on the bad folk in as amusing a way as he possibly can. Master Pain is his nemesis and the bad man directly responsible for the unspeakable acts against his family.

The rest of the movie is purposefully disjointed and has no continuity half the time, but a masterclass in editing is not the point of this exercise. This is simply ridiculous fun, and assuming you switch off your brain completely and wreck any remaining braincells, you will be quite entertained.

As for how funny it is, well, that's quite subjective. Many of the gags are clearly forced and milked (No pun intended (You'll understand that one if you see it)) for all they're worth. However, many *do* work and provide belly laughs. Sure, you'll not have tears rolling down your cheeks but if you're willing to stoop to the dumb level the movie demands of you, you *will* be at least amused.

One thing the movie makes particularly good use of is special effects, with some more than decent CG animation complimenting a number of scenes. Aside from this, the technical merits of the movie are pretty decent, in that the interpolation of old footage and new footage is actually rather seamless and you'll not spot it a lot of the time, except where you're supposed to.

As The Chosen One, Oedekerk seems to have a great time. It's a daft movie, so he indulges in stupidity as a matter of cause, and it works reasonably well. It's always easier to enjoy a film if it appears the actors are enjoying making it.

Overall, leave your brain at the door and do not expect high brow laughs or Jackie Chan style action and you'll probably get something out of this.

Page 1 of 52:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]