IMDb > Dr. Dolittle 2 (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Better Than The First!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
1 March 2008

Dr.Dolittle 2 is a good family comedy and it is better than the first one. I actually saw this film before the original and I notice a couple differences. Eddie Murphy uses less bad language and is a bit more caring toward his kids. This time around, Dr.John Dolittle has to save a forest by trying to get a circus bear to live in the wild and mate with another bear of his kind. The idea for the plot is nice and the screenplay was better written than the first. Comedy-wise, it still does not reach to my high standards. I had a bit more chuckles than the first one, but not enough. There is actually a score in this film and I like the songs as well. Finally, there are a couple morals in this film such as family or saving nature. This is a good film and I recommend this to everybody. I rate this film a 8/10.

Better than the 1st

Author: OriginalMovieBuff21 from United States
29 September 2004

Doctor Dolittle is just a plain comedy that's a kid movie that has laughs and fart jokes than can be quite funny and stupid. In the first film Doctor Dolittle had to save a tiger from the zoo and now he's saving a bear by getting him out of the acting stage and get him to be a bear who can live out in the wild instead of being lazy. This film was quite good actually. It had a lot of laughs from the bear played by Steve Zahn and that little Farrot played by Isaac Hayes and other animals too. The acting was OK. Eddie Murphy did decent but the other actors or actresses did pretty bad. I recommend it. There were funny jokes

Hedeen's outlook: 7/10 **+ C+

The 'doctor' is back

Author: Jerry Jones from United States
30 December 2002

***

Starring: Eddie Murphy and a bunch of more animals.

Everyone's favorite doctor who can talk to animals (but really, how many doctors can do THAT?) is back and it's his job to save a forest and save a worn-out bear. It has as much laughs as the first, but it didn't quite have the good storyline as the first one did.

slight improvement

Author: Special-K88
25 November 2002

Lightweight, innocuous sequel revisits doctor Murphy who's now gained fame and recognition for his ability to talk to the animals. This time around he takes his suddenly dysfunctional family on a vacation to the woods where he has the unfortunate task of trying to mate an insecure bear in order to save its habitat, and at the same time try to resolve his own personal issues. It's far from remarkable, but this so-so sequel is far less crude than its predecessor with a likable performance from Murphy and a talented array of vocalists. Needs some more momentum as it's fairly dry throughout, but at least it's not as tiresome as the original. **½

A worthy sequel.

Author: Chris Brown (chrisbrown6453@hotmail.com) from Fresno, Ca. USA
5 July 2001

This time out, we find Dr. John Dolittle as a full time medical doctor, helping humans and animals as if they were the same. His special gift has earned him worldwide credibility and international fame. Dolittle travels the globe meeting the particular needs of any species in any country. On the side, he also runs a group therapy session for canines stuck in animal shelters. Things start to get interesting when a gangster-esque raccoon approaches Dolittle and takes him to the woods to meet a beaver, the Godfather of this secret animal mafia. They need help. A powerful corporation is cutting down the trees in the forest. Without these trees, the animals have no homes. The creatures of the woods are calling upon Dolittle to stop this harmful deforestation. There is only one way to accomplish this. It seems an endangered species of bear roams free in the forest, however, there is only one left, a female named Ava. Saving the one bear is no longer probable, so the court cannot legally stop the corporation from tearing down the trees. The good doctor convinces the court to give him a month. In that time, he will find another bear of this species who is currently in captivity. Then, he will introduce him to the wild and successfully mate him with the female who currently lives in the woods. This would force the courts to prevent the greedy corporation from taking away the home of an endangered species. The plan sounds perfect, until Dolittle meets Archie, the pampered circus bear he must train to live in the wild.

As with the first film, Dr. Dolittle 2 works because of a fresh and creative sense of humor. This stuff gets you laughing from the very beginning and does not let you stop until the very end. Most of this can be attributed to the voice talent, which includes incredible actors and comedians like Norm Macdonald (reprising his role as Lucky the dog), Michael Rapaport (who costarred with Murphy in Metro), Lisa Kudrow (Phoebe from television's "Friends"), and Steve Zahn (Saving Silverman and That Thing You Do!). They are the ones who bring the material to life. They are the ones who require expert timing and delivery. They are the ones who really get the audience laughing. Still, at the beginning of this movie, I still wondered if the premise would get tiresome. The talking animals are great, but I was not sure if their novelty would wear off by the film's conclusion. Quite frankly, the movie is too short for this to ever actually happen. At a light 81 minutes, Dr. Dolittle 2 is an easy flick to watch. The pace moves fast, the laughs never stop, and the movie is over well before it stars to drag.

I could easily see Eddie Murphy hopping on board a third outing as John Dolittle, or even a fourth or fifth. Believe it or not, that's one thing I really enjoyed about Dr. Dolittle 2. It has long-lasting franchise potential, as proven right here. This movie does not feel like an average sequel. Rather, it comes across as another chapter in the continuing adventures of the man who could talk to animals. If they keep making them as witty as this installment, I'll be just as pleased to watch them.

Kid Movie

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
1 July 2001

Dr. Dolitle has Murphy back as the doctor who can talk to animals once again comes back, this time he has to help a bear become a, uh, man of a bear in order to save a forest. While the first one had as many fart and poop jokes as this one, it didn't have it's vivacity and it's effect to be funny to both kids and adults. This time, it's strictly for kids and it is below par for Murphy; if you want to see him in an exceptional comedy see Shrek again. Various stars give voices which keep this movie afloat including Steve Zahn, Lisa Kudrow, Isaac Hayes, Kevin Pollack, Cedric the Entertainer, Andy Dick and above all, Norm MacDonald. C+

Worst movie since "The Brothers"

Author: dmc3de from champaign, il
23 June 2001

Last time I ever walked out of movie disgusted and ashamed of being an American was after watching "Freddy Got Fingered", but at least that movie was trying to be a bottom of the barrel movie. First off, I don't know about you all, but I'm tired of seeing this tired format of "Girl growing up crap". Going out on a date on your birthday. Oh but honey we always have dinner together on your birthday. Puuuleeease. Maybe the rest of the movie became better afterwards, but I'm sorry, not even a "Schindler's List" plot could make up for the rest of the movie. This is one of those type of movies you watch, and when you leave you get pissed at the movie theater employees, even though they relatively had nothing to do with why you're mad. Trust me, save your money and rent a movie.

A Forest of Failure

Author: ivanfanatic from United States
21 June 2005

"Dr. Dolittle 2" continues the story of Dr. Dolittle (Eddie Murphy), a doctor-gone-veterinarian who can talk to animals. The sequel begins with a raccoon gangster trying to recruit Dr. Dolittle into saving a forest that is going to be taken over by a lumber company. Dr. Doolittle takes the lumber company to court and an agreement is made: if Dr. Dolittle can get the lone Western Pacific bear, Ava, to mate, the forest will be saved under the Endangered Species Act. Comedy and action ensues as Dolittle tries to introduce a circus bear, Archie, into the wild in order to save the forest.

Director Steve Carr's intentions of this movie seems to prove anything can be possible if one puts effort into it. This is shown by Dolittle's attempts to reintroduce a bear which has been raised by humans back into the forest. Another example is when the animals perform various comic scenes of stopping forest destruction (both inside and outside forest), but with the more serious intentions of saving their home in mind. A different perspective from the director is the underlying idea explaining it is important to preserve the forests and their inhabitants. As seen in this movie, many animals, such as the Western Pacific Bear, are becoming extinct.

While this movie had good intentions, in reality it was just a bad movie. The animals were cute, but many of the "comedy" scenes were trying a little too hard to be funny. This movie was supposed to be for kids, but there was a large amount of adult situations in this film. Excluding Eddie Murphy, most of the actors were extremely annoying thanks to corny dialogue and poor character expressions. The only positive about this movie were the themes; a little effort can go a long way and the importance of forest preservation. "Dr. Dolittle 2" is a poor sequel and I would only recommend this movie to someone with a "cheep" sense of humor.

amazing!

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
16 September 2001

I have always thought that Eddie Murphy was pretty funny. Here, he outdoes himself, especially his role from the original. There is more plot for him to work with, and most of his "animal conversations" occur with a circus bear he needs to release into the wild to mate with a female bear of the same species. This will save both the bear type and the forest at the same time, as the bad guys want to tear down the forest. I thought this was a refreshingly funny film, with more emphasis on clean humor and plot and less on Eddie Murphy's schtick. Overall, I think it worked. It was a good movie for the entire family to see, and I think everyone will like it.

*** out of ****

Endangered Story & Animals Roar!

Author: meeza (themeezaman@hotmail.com) from Miami, Fl
6 July 2001

`Dr. Doolittle 2' does have some of the same old doggoned hilarious animal-talking moments as the original. However, the story of this sequel was sometimes so tedious that a few times throughout the movie I wanted to say `bye bye birdie' to this one. Eddie Murphy once again stars as the doctor who can talk to the animals. In this one, Dr. Doolittle must play matchmaker to two bears in order to save an animal habitat from being taken over by developers. Yea! I know ! The plot sounds beary beary boring! I must admit though that is those talking animals that overshadow any plot storyline in this film. If this sounds fishy to you- then check out the italian racoon, the deceiving weasel, the mobster beaver, the drunken monkey, and the mexican iguana. Let's not left the dog out, and remember that `lucky' once again steals the show as the Doolittle's right hand pooch. It might be a `little' uninteresting at times, but i `doo' recommend for you to check this one out! Later gator!!!!!! *** Average

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]