IMDb > Dr. Dolittle 2 (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dr. Dolittle 2

Dr. Dolittle 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Innocuous and mildly entertaining, but overall forgettable

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
20 August 2001

"Dr. Dolittle 2" is pretty much what you would expect out of a family comedy, only a tad more crude. We could've done with maybe one less gag about animal urination. The plot is a pious, predictable one involving the preservation of an endangered species of bears. You know, one of those storylines that's supposed to deliver a "message" to all the young ones out there.

Like usual, we have the talking animals voiced by a variety of celebrities. Steve Zahn lends his voice to one of the lead animal characters. He's actually quite funny at times, as a bear/circus performer who's overcome by stardom, and now that he found out he's part of an endangered species he has to learn how to live like a normal bear: start hibernating, eating fish, etc. Lisa Kudrow is the voice of his love interest. Michael Rapaport is funny as a racoon who's the henchman of an alleged animal Mafia.

Since the Dolittle's daughter (Raven-Symone) is all grown-up, we have to expect the obvious romantic subplot in which she hits puberty and engages in an active dating life. Her father, naturally, has doubts about her new supposedly rebellious boyfriend (Lil' Zane). So we're dragged through that unnecessary subplot, which pretty much serves as filler to complete a running time of 100 minutes.

Lately, Eddie Murphy has been tackling PG projects like this and "Shrek." A few years back, he took a try at cleaning his act when doing a voice-over for Disney's "Mulan." Then again, in the flop "Holy Man." I have to admire him for showing his more sanitized approach to comedy. Despite his inability to use the "f" word, he proves he's still a multi-talented comedian and not a talented comedian whose act is totally watered-down and dull because of being forced to clean up his mouth. Though he pretty much plays the straight man (I also have to admire him for his discipline, in remaining subdued and in character rather than viewing the movie as no more than a showcase for his comedy), he still belts out some witty one-liners and proves to be just as funny as his animal companions.

I don't really have any strong opinions about this movie. It's harmless, but it could've used a major rewrite. It's funny at times, but could've been a lot funnier (and less crude). Don't worry, you won't be seeing any gags involving birds crapping into people's mouths or a thermometer getting stuck into a dog's behind. The film has just enough crudeness to achieve the PG rating, but we still could've done without it. Your kids will be rolling in the aisles, while the adults may want to take a few popcorn and bathroom breaks. Not bad (especially for a sequel), but forgettable and even somewhat dull. You're better off catching this one on video.

My score: 6 (out of 10)

hard to say

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
30 July 2001

If you like these kind of movies, then its funny. My wife loves these kinds of movie, and enjoyed this. Its amazing how well they can train bears, some of the stunts are incredible. The voice overs couldn't be done better. My opinion of the film is its cute, but not many surprises in this one. I laughed at this film, and comedy is the hardest thing to do, but I did not find this better the average comedy. Its funny, but not p**s your pants funny.

Pure fun!Eddie Murphy wins everyone over.

Author: jessie-39 from United States
23 June 2001

If you love eddie murphy, you will love this movie. Take it for what it is a very funny silly comedy. We laughed and laughed at the adult humor and the pure fun of it. To hell with the critics. If you want a good time for your money, go and see it. It is very very funny.

Absolutely nothing like the books, but a pleasant film and better than Murphy's other Doolittle film

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
10 June 2007

I am pretty surprised at the low scores for this film, as I thought for a family comedy it achieved its goals quite well. Plus, I usually hate these sort of schmaltzy films, and so the fact that I liked it is a bit unusual and says something about it. I think the biggest reason was that they did NOT attempt to recreate the famous Doolittle novels or re-create the Rex Harrison film but boldly took the character in other directions in both Doolittle films. Plus, unlike Murphy's first Doolittle film, this one had a very nice infusion of humor--and I THOUGHT, incorrectly, that I would hate all the talking animal nonsense (just like I hated LOOK WHO'S TALKING). While this little film won't change your life, it's a decent film that won't insult your intelligence and will give you a few good laughs.

Also, while I have seen enough of "That's so Raven" because of my kids, Raven Simone did a lovely job in the film--proving she's not just a cute flash-in-the-pan child actress.

Is it Mr. or Dr. Dolittle. This movie kinda forgot.

Author: Lee Bartholomew (sage_patrynxx@cfu.net) from Cedar Falls, IA
27 November 2001

SPOILER's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved the first movie. It's one of my favourite movies. So when I heard about the sequel I couldn't wait for the DVD. I shoulda waited even longer. There is so many things wrong with this movie that I'm amazed anyone would say this is better than the first. Only one thing saved this movie from total destruction. And that's the character of Charisse. Who we learn is beginning to have this thing called Dr. Dolittle's talent. It saved it from being a total waste of time. I'll probably go buy it now. (Thank God for online rentals!!) Some of the humor I liked of course, but.....

The bad is really bad. First..continuity. Okay.. Dr. Dolittle has ended and number 2 starts. Did I miss something here? They don't explain what happened to Rodney (the Guinea Pig) or how bout the baby Gator. Hmmm perhaps the Gator ate Rodney and they deemed it not to the liking of family entertainment. Two... they shift the focus off the fact that Dolittle is a doctor. There's a time for an environmental movie and there's not a time for it. This wasn't the time. Imagine ER suddenly became a tv show about what George Clooney does in his spare time. Eddie shoulda been doing what he does best. Doctoring. At least have it so the bear needed physical help, instead of the instructional video on bear mating.

Finally.. at the end of the first movie we are left knowing that it doesn't take riches to get places in one's life. Great moral feeling here. The bad guys were rich. So guess what... The second movie Dr. Dolittle is now a rather rich doctor. Lives in a mansion with a push button gate.

This movie doesn't even try to be a family movie. It's doesn't try anything. It takes the old lets do an environmental movie to save face trick.

PS: We really needed to rely on the fact that Charisse has bigger (ahem) than Britney Spears. Which reminds me. they cared more about bringing the old actors in for continuity. But I think they forgot this movie is about animals first and foremost and totally forgot about the first movie. If the first movie didn't exist maybe I'd like this more, but it does and so I really don't like this movie all that much

4/10 Quality: 5/10 Entertainment: 4/10 Replayable: 5/10

Funnier and more lighthearted

Author: claudonio from california
4 July 2001

"Dr. Dolittle 2" is a better film than the first, I really liked the first and this film improves upon it, Eddie Murphy is restrained in his performance and it only helps the film. The plot is similar to that of the first one, a big corporation wants to take over, and Murphy again uses the animals to win. This is fun for the whole family adults and children will enjoy it.

Really bad.

Author: corvair from California
3 July 2001

Yes, it's full of jokes based on body fluids (both gaseous and liquid), but even those can be funny. Not here. This movie delivered almost no laughs.

The unfunny script offers no relief from the other irritations in "Dr. Doolittle 2": the obnoxious older daughter character and the preponderance of closeups. Seeing what appears to be the cast from "The Cosby Show" on screen so tight that the image cuts off just above the eyebrows and below the chin is not fun and not entertaining.

The script comes off like a sixth grade class's presentation on ecology. Disappointing.

1998's "Doctor Dolittle" is nothing special, but this sequel is inferior

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
12 January 2008

A few months ago, I saw "Doctor Dolittle" (the 1998 remake) for the first time in years. I liked it when I was twelve years old, so I was curious to know what I would think after growing up, despite having low expectations. My expectations were surpassed slightly, but if I had never seen "Dr. Dolittle 2" before, its predecessor wouldn't have been enough to make me interested in seeing it, but I did see it about four years ago, and enjoyed it. I was seventeen, past this movie's targeted audience, but didn't tend to watch a lot of movies at the time. I just watched this sequel again, and my once again low expectations were not surpassed at all.

Dr. John Dolittle has become famous for his ability to communicate with animals, but lately, he has also been having trouble with his family. One day, he is brought to the forest to see the Godbeaver, and learns that the forest is rapidly being cut down. The animals who live in this forest are counting on Dr. Dolittle to save their habitat, and in order to do so, the doctor must attempt to get a female Pacific Western bear in the forest named Ava together with a male so he can save the species! He gets a male bear of this species named Archie from a circus, and begins his attempt to get him adjusted to life in the wild and teach him how to win Ava's heart, both of which are easier said than done! It doesn't help that Archie has to compete with a Kodiak bear named Sonny, and logging company owner Joe Potter is determined to get his way!

Although I found no huge laughs in "Doctor Dolittle", I did find some minor ones. However, in this sequel, I found none. I smiled at times, but VERY rarely and briefly. Like its predecessor, "Dr. Dolittle 2" contains some juvenile excretion jokes, though it is a TAD cleaner, for better or worse (since it was aimed at kids, many would probably say it's for the better). These jokes are usually lame, if not always, a good example being the scene where Archie has diarrhea. There are also some embarrassing lines in the script, such as the one Dr. Dolittle has, humiliating his daughter, Charisse by telling her boyfriend how she tried to get out of diapers early and made messes around the house. Fortunately, the movie isn't totally filled with these problems, but most of the film is basically average and forgettable in my book.

Both Dr. Dolittle films starring Eddie Murphy are rather cheesy, and would definitely appeal to kids more than anyone else, but this one more so than the original. If you don't like the 1998 film, then you probably wouldn't like this one, either, but if you do, then you STILL might not like this sequel. "Dr. Dolittle 2" may have a slightly better plot than its predecessor, but overall, it is inferior, not that I'm saying the original is really that good. If you ask me, 1998's "Doctor Dolittle" is very close to being strictly for kids, and this sequel is right there. Remembering the film's targeted audience, I guess it deserves some credit, but if you're not part of that audience, and are not a parent of anyone who is, I wouldn't say there's any need to bother. After watching this, I definitely won't be watching the straight-to-video "Dr. Dolittle 3".

Very hilarious and fresh movie

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
17 November 2005

The day I first saw this, I was with a friend of mine, and in my opinion, DR. DOLITTLE 2 is a very hilarious and fresh movie. One of the quotes that made me laugh the most was, "Bring me a bone!" Another was, "And flies! Supersize!" Oh, man! Those quotes were really funny! Another funny part was when Lucky (Norm Macdonald) made John (Eddie Murphy) beg when he came back to the house to get his keys when he forgot them. There were lots of other parts that made me laugh, too. In conclusion, if you liked DOCTOR DOLITTLE or are a fan of Eddie Murphy, I highly recommend this film! You're in for a lot of laughs, or your money back.

Something of a Bear

Author: EmperorNortonII from San Francisco, California
31 May 2002

Long ago, I enjoyed the original "Dr. Dolittle," with Rex Harrison. Eddie Murphy made a remake some years ago, and his version wasn't so bad. Although his version was set in more modern times. For some reason, I can't see Dr. Dolittle outside of the Victorian Era. Yet, Eddie's new take on the man who can talk to animals spawned a sequel. I found Part 2 a bit better than Part 1. The funniest lines come from the animals. But still, this movie wasn't perfect. I think maybe the producers of the movie tried a little too hard, giving it an environmental theme. Eddie Murphy has been an enjoyable comic, but I think he deserved better than this. He doesn't need to be upstaged by flatulent and neurotic animals.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]