IMDb > Mimic 2 (2001) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The Return of the Intelligent Stalker Boyfriend Roach

Author: Brandt Sponseller from New York City
19 March 2005

Series Note: see main body of review.

Elementary school teacher and noted author "Remy" (Alix Koromzay) has man problems. Unfortunately, they're getting worse as the men she has problems with are ending up dead and she's the prime suspect. At the same time, we see that at least one of the superbugs from Mimic (1997) has survived. Remy, her wannabe boyfriends, a couple students, the police, the superbugs and some X-Files-ish mysterious government types are on a collision course in this film.

I usually try to write my reviews within 24 hours of watching a film, at most. The fresher the film is in my mind the easier it is to record my feelings about it. I also have a tendency to forget films fairly quickly if I haven't seen them a few times. If I wait too long the review is not likely to make it even past the larval stage. Mimic 2 I watched a couple days ago already. The main reason that I'm bringing this up is that the more I think about it, the more I can't remember why I didn't give it an even higher rating (I jot my rating down immediately). It seems in retrospect that this film should have been at least a 9 for me. But usually my first judgment is right, at least at the time, and so an 8 it is on this viewing.

Of course, even an 8 is a lot higher than most folks are giving this film. A large part of the reason why is that Mimic 2 is completely different in tone than the first Mimic. Although Remy is a returning character (she had a very minor role in the first film), there's no reason that you need to watch the original before this one, unless you just want more background on the superbugs.

I suspect that the other reason why most folks are rating Mimic 2 much lower than I is because writer Joel Soisson and director Jean de Segonzac couldn't care one whit about making the film "realistic". Mimic 2 is a campfest, a cheesathon, and a frequently absurdist celebration of filmic artificiality for its own sake. I happen to love those qualities. If you don't, you'll likely hate this film.

The embrace of artificiality is beautifully present in the production design and lighting. An early indicator is near the end of the opening sequence, as "species extinguisher" Lincoln Trahm is making his way out of the subway system. He emerges onto a "New York City street" amidst glowing neon and other lighting in strong primary colors straight out of Dario Argento's Suspiria (1977). The film takes place primarily on two sets, the "outside surfaces" of which are covered in attractively garish graffiti. The school set has an architectural style of "retro-dilapidated", and there are unusual touches such as the "desk nest" which blocks the hall during later, pivotal scenes.

Much more bizarre and frequently funny are the characters, plot and dialogue. Remy is a noted entomologist and author of at least a popular scientific account of insects, yet she teaches elementary school. She is a serial one-time-dater, apparently with commitment aversions, but she doesn't seem very choosy with her dates. Afterwards, she takes Polaroid photographs of herself making grotesque faces (mimics?) and then writes the name of the date-gone-wrong beneath the image before adding them to her wall of shame. It a behavior that, not unsurprisingly, resembles a serial killer to Detective Klaski (Bruno Campos).

As for the superbug, Soisson and Segonzac decided to take the human mimicry from the previous film more literally. In Mimic 2, the main bug is clearly sentient, becoming just another psycho boyfriend for Remy. It's delightfully goofy, although not without precedent--to an extent it resembles the alien insect from Invader/Lifeforce (1996).

"Delightfully goofy" couldn't be more apt for this film overall. It seems as if Soisson and Segonzac couldn't take the premise quite seriously, so in lieu of the intense, high-action dingy glum of Mimic, they went the tongue-in-cheek route and gave us something not that far removed from, say, a later Frank Henenlotter film. Another angle, which is probably the reason for the stressed artificiality, is that it parallels the superbug's attempts, which are far from perfect, to mimic humankind. It's as if the sets, the lighting, the characters, the plot, and everything else is mimicking reality at the same time it's superficially mimicking the previous film.

Segonzac still achieves an alienating gloom beneath all of the camp, and the film is routinely suspenseful--it's difficult to not be suspenseful when you're dealing with bugs. An important story point on that end is that Mimic has its share of smaller bugs, too--the kind that can easily be behind your desk, in the back of your shelves, in your closet, under your bed, or right outside your door or window. The creature effects are all excellent. It's also wonderfully gory in some parts, although it's mostly bug gore, but that tends to have a higher "ewww" factor for me than human gore. Even more powerful, there are some instances where the two types of gore are effectively "mixed".

While I'm sure I won't help resell the film to viewers who have already seen it and hated it, hopefully I can help sway those on the fence, and help guide those who don't know if they'd like to bother. It's important to develop a taste for camp and for the purposefully unrealistic and ridiculous--it's a common approach from filmmakers. Films like Mimic 2 do not tend to have their odd differences because of incompetence. Rather, there is usually an artistic reason for making particular decisions. That fact won't help you acquire the taste for these kinds of films, but at least it can help you understand why they exist as they do.

A shame it doesn't mimic the quality of the original

Author: Chris. from Australia
2 May 2011

Imitative and unimaginative sequel (read remake) of Guillermo Del Toro's unique theatrical treatment of Donald A.Wollheim's short story "Mimic" is a direct-to-DVD movie, with performances to match. The central character is, for all intents and purposes, identical to that of the autistic child in the first film, here portrayed as a vulnerable, mistreated, misunderstood entomological enthusiast who daylights as a primary school teacher. Her curiosity with the insect world leads both her and a pair of hard case students into a night of terror, relentlessly hunted by the mutated Judas bug, fresh from feasting on her romantic rejections and primed to propagate the species.

The characterisations are formula driven and predictable, each with their own cross to bare and point to prove. Uber-cool cop Bruno Campos looks a little young for the hard-nosed, toothpick chewing detective, while all the other ancillary characters are basic stereotypes each with two scenes, one in which involves their obligatory demise. Even the appearance of veteran movie tough guy, the late Edward Albert isn't enough to redeem this inferior sequel.

Not always coherent "Mimic 2" begins when a running man's death leaves a suitcase full of the deadly genetic mutations, that gradually infiltrate the population. The film moves at such break-neck speed, that there's never any explanation for suitcase, nor much context around the central character's peculiar habit of taking photographs of herself, following traumatic experiences (an intriguing premise, it turned into a thematic cul-de-sac, simply abandoned without elaboration). Ultimately, at 79 minutes short, the plot holes are all consuming and the overall result is disappointing.

Return of the roach.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
17 September 2010

There's quite a lot I didn't understand about Mimic 2: I haven't the faintest idea who the scared guy was at the beginning of this film (nor the relevance of his suitcases packed full of dirt); I still cannot fathom out why the movie's giant genetically altered bug would develop a crush on high school teacher Remi (she's got a hot bod, but would she really appeal to an insect?); and I fail to see how a massive cockroach could successfully avoid capture by an elite military force by passing itself off as a member of the NYPD.

Thankfully, my inability to grasp precisely what was happening to whom and why didn't prevent me from having a fair bit of fun with this straight to DVD sequel to Guillermo Del Toro's original. Brisk direction from Jean de Segonzac, impressive set design (rainy alleyways scrawled with neon graffiti and lit with primary colours), a few well executed creature effects and a touch of gore, and perhaps the most ludicrous (but very welcome) 'strip down to underwear' scene for a female lead since Saffron Burrows climbed out of her wetsuit in Deep Blue Sea, all go to ensure that Mimic 2's 82 minutes pass rather painlessly.

Not as good as the first Mimic

Author: Kevin (mrduckbear@yahoo.com) from Victoria, BC
17 July 2001

This movie was worst than the first Mimic movie. First of all the plot of the movie is pretty bad. It's about a cockroach race that has come back to haunt the people of New York.

Remy(alix koromzay) an elementary school teacher, is the main character of the movie, she teaches a children biology. Klaskin(Bruno Campos) plays the detective, who tries to find out the mysterious murderer incidents. In the beginning of the movie, the story already falls apart. We don't even know where the cockroaches even come from. The story isn't good at all and the effects are typical. There's even a scene that seems to copy a part of a movie from every bug movie ever made IE Ticks. Believe me this movie is not worth to watch. 82 min is not worth it to waste your day. Rent the first mimic at least the acting and the scenes are much better.

The movie wasn't bad

Author: Carl Grasso (lestat8447) from New York
2 August 2001

This is actually an above average sequel. Yes it's low budget and there are no celberities(except Eddie Albert if he counts) but the film is done tastefully. There are some good scares and it's a good follow up to the original. The original actress who played Remi in the original returns as a teacher who suspects the judus breed has returned. It's not as good as the orginal but it's very decent. Plus the special effects are good, good action, good suprises and it's short which always helps.

This supersucks!

Author: Karl Hem from Sweden
21 July 2002

(2/10). Let me start by saying that I had low, I mean really low expectations on this movie and it was worse. With the expectations I had I didn't of course pay to see this crap. Now I wouldn't see it ever again unless I got payed at least 10$, maybe even more. A real stinker and why not 1/10, because I've actually seen worse, can you believe it!

Decent sequel.

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
17 October 2015

Alix Koromzay, co-star of the first movie, gets boosted to star status here, playing science teacher / insect expert Remi Panos, who must run for her life when another of the deadly Judas Breed from "Mimic" 1 is on the loose. Among those running with her are two of her students, Nicky (Will Estes) and Sal (Gaven E. Lucas), and an NYC detective named Klaski (Bruno Campos). What's more, this particular creepy crawlie seems to have a real sexual interest in Remi.

That's pretty much it for story in this more-of-the-same sequel to Guillermo Del Toros' adaptation of the Donald A. Wollheim short story. It's better to not think about it too much, because one will realize that this "story" isn't realized all that well. For example, the relevance of the movies' initial victim. Some people will be pleased to note that the script contrives a way to get Koromzay out of her clothes. So "Mimic 2" delivers fairly well on a sex and violence quotient. The cinematography is appropriately murky, and a lot of the locations look pretty damn decrepit. There's not really much in the way of gore, but there's a lot of slimy stuff. The visual effects are, overall, reasonably well done.

Koromzay does alright in this leading role, and the supporting cast likewise fares well enough. That includes Edward Albert ("Galaxy of Terror") as an unnamed government operative who naturally wants things run a certain way. However, the movie makes a shameful waste of character actor Jon Polito ("Miller's Crossing", "The Crow") by giving him nothing interesting to do.

Lovers of killer insect cinema may be able to do better than this, but they could conceivably do worse. At least "Mimic 2" has an excellent forward pace and a sufficient amount of action. (Plus, it only runs 82 minutes.)

Five out of 10.

it's alright

Author: scubascott12
5 June 2004

This movie wasn't bad but it wasn't good either, it's in the middle. It's about a teacher (koromzay) who along with her friend Nicky (estes) and a young boy she teaches are trapped in a school with the bugs. They have to find a way out before the bugs eat them, no duh. Also a cop named klaski comes to their rescue. This movie has a little more gore than the first. For this movie in a 1-10, I give it a 5. They made a mimic 3 after this one but I didn't see the third. This movie probably should have been in the movie theaters. It was good enough. By the way there's a bit of twist in the ending. These characters were not that great either. The only reason I didn't like the movie that much is because it wasn't enough like the original mimic movie with mira sorvino and charles dutton.

i hated it. i absolutely hated it.

Author: aeon from sierra vista, az
24 August 2001

ugh god, i was so annoyed by everything in this movie, all i can say is simply don't waste money on it. watch it for its incredible annoyance capacity, but don't actually pay for it.

there's nothing special about anything in this movie. the plot is dull and trite, the acting is horrible, the sound effects are frequently poorly timed and delivered, and the imagery isn't the least bit provoking. there's no message used in this movie at all; but it's a sequel to a movie which really didn't need one or leave much room to cause one, so what can be expected?

****** spoiler *******

the characters in this movie are so annoying, you wish they'd all die. i was especially happy to see remi get stabbed in the abdomen by one of the roaches. i swear, i've never seen a character so self-obsessed and ..broken by day to day life, as well as repulsively interested in arthropods. the satisfaction of seeing her betrayed by her gross interest was quickly dashed, as she winds up nursed back to health by the said roach, which seems to have chosen her for a mate. i won't even begin to list all the things just plain stupid about that.

the slashing end to the movie would have been fine; but it's too unbelievable an action coming from remi. i could see her easily castrating klaski, but never hurting one of her precious insect friends.

beyond that, i don't really remember much from the movie. that's how dull it is. i'm thinking of complaining to hollywood video so i can get a free rental of something worthwhile. i recommend you do the same if you should rent this. trust me, the staff will "understand".

creature feature B-horror

Author: SnoopyStyle
17 May 2016

Entomologist Remi Panos is an inner New York city grade school teacher. She has not had the best luck with men. On top of them, there is a mysterious figure stalking her. Something is coming up from the underground to kill. Police detective Klaski (Bruno Campos) connects the deaths with Remi. Remi, her student Sal, and Nicky battle the insectlike creature.

As a lowly straight-to-video B-horror, it has its moments. There is a creature. There are some gross out moments. There is a functional creature feature at the core. However, there isn't enough good stuff. It's silly to make this a bad-dates theme. Also the special operations team in the last act is unnecessary. It turns a weak small horror into something unwieldy. There are a couple of good moments in an otherwise poor sequel.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]