IMDb > "Gilmore Girls" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Gilmore Girls"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Gilmore Girls" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A Chick Series Even Boys Could Love

Author: gregorybnyc from United States
26 May 2004

I missed THE GILMORE GIRLS first season because I'm generally not interested in series television, and I'm a man in his early 50s and this is a series about a mother and a daughter, and I'm frankly not interested in WB shows which focus on a more youthful audience. However, a year of reading rave reviews of the series, got me interested in tuning in during season II. It was instant love.

I think this is the best series on TV, a thoughtful, funny, beautifully written and well observed show about the relationship between a loving mother and daughter. At the same time, if features the quirks and tics of a fictional town with the kind of appeal that is unrealistic, but makes us nostalgic for a sweet and picaresque hamlet that has taken the two formerly outsider main characters and claimed them as one of their own.

Lorelei Gilmore (the stunningly beautiful and hugely talented Lauren Graham) is a young, single mother in her early 30s who is raising her daughter, Rory (a sweetly restrained Alexis Bledel) on her own. Lorelai got pregnant when she was sixteen, dashing the ambitions of her wealthy, snobbish parents (Kelly Bishop and Edward Hermann) for a fine college and a brilliant marriage.

Lorelei has moved away from her parents home in Hartford, CT, taking her daughter with her to Stars Hollow, where she eventually becomes a manager of a bed and breakfast inn. Lorelai is determined to raise her daughter in a loving, if bohemian atmosphere. Most of all, she wants her daughter to be her friend and encourages this amazingly close bond. The town, composed of eccentrics and other comic types, has accepted them, watching over both women with love and affection.

When it becomes clear that Lorelei will need financial help in order to put her daughter into Chilton, a local private school in order to prepare her for Harvard, Lorelai swallows her pride, and hat in hand, goes begging to her parents. They agree, but on one condition. The girls are to have dinner with them at their stuff home every Friday night. Lorelei agrees.

This forms the basic story outline of the show. We see Rory blossom into a lovely and smart teenager. Lorelei, though responsible and a fine mother, is still a young and vibrantly sexual woman, so there are the complications of her love life, including an unfinished attraction with Luke Danes, the town's cranky, but hunky coffee shop owner (well played by Scott Patterson).

Lorelei's best friend, is Sookie, a cook at the inn. Rory's best bud is Lane, a gawky Korean girl who lives under the absurdly strict iron rule of her judge mental mother, who thinks Lorelei is a loose woman who should be keeping a more watchful eye on her daughter. Rory has fallen in love iwth Dean, a young man she goes to school with (before she switches to Chilton). That love suffers a number of tests, most disastrously in the third season with the arrival of Luke's nephew, Jess, who asserts his own romantic mystery.

Well, I'm going on and on. The entire cast is first-rate. It's fun watching series veterans, Sally Struthers and others as the townspeople. I love the pompous character of Michel, the asst.

manager. He's a riot. The tension between Lorelei and her mother often explodes in angry confrontations that are very real indeed (Kelly Bishop, an original CHORUS LINE cast member is outstanding).

But make no mistake about it. Lauren Graham is the glue that holds this show together. Sexy, funny, she handles the smart dialog with all those cultural references like a virtuoso. She deserves to be a movie star. P.S. I bought the first year on DVD and have been having a great wallow. This show is that good.

Fast-paced, intelligent show.

Author: loveandrevolutions from New York City
19 August 2004

I was surprised when I saw this show because WB has a reputation for churning out mindless, sleazy shows that don't add any value to television. 'Gilmore Girls' has to be the only quality show on WB and one of the few on television in general. It's about the relationship between a mother and daughter in a small town in Connecticut. Lorelai Gilmore had Rory when she was 16 and ran away from her uptight, old money parents to start her own life independently as a maid at an inn and then working her way up to general manager. Their relationship is more like a sister relationship than a parent-child relationship. The townspeople only add charm to the show.

'Gilmore Girls' is an intelligent show with quick, witty dialogue that often refers to literature, music, movies, and pop culture. The characters talk extremely fast, which can be quite unrealistic sometimes when in a span of five seconds, two people can create comebacks for each other that contain references to Shakespeare and Madonna. But c'mon, it's just a show, and the point of the fast-paced dialogue and references is for the entertainment of audiences. We watch the show, hear the dialogue and laugh hard because we know what they're talking about. It's what makes 'The Simpsons' enjoyable, and the same can be applied to 'Gilmore Girls'. We know that such a quirky place as Stars Hollow most likely doesn't exist, but we watch it for the admiration for a dedicated single mother, hard-working daughter, and their minds that are abundant with intelligent and witty remarks about everything from Billy Bob Thornton to Bob Dylan.

Give it a try. It's just one smart joke after another. Definitely not a typical WB show.

I Love This Show

Author: Mr_Sensitive from THAILAND, BANGKOK
4 February 2005

Even though this is a chick series, tell the truth I really like it. Love it, maybe?. There is something different about this show. Something good that make it so unique, and I'm not talking about fast pace of conversation and loads of sarcasm between each character.

The story is good and not boring, somewhat very memorable and it going to make you feel very cozy watching it. Plus with good acting and gorgeous girls, this show is so great that I can't find any negativity. (a little bias, I know, but it is that good.)

Anyway, when did you last see any show that have millions of fans and site especially for it, that how good the show is, and I highly recommend anyone and everyone to watch the show.

Rating: 9.9/10 (Grade: A+)

Modern-day Jane Austen

Author: natan62 from Silver Spring, MD
26 February 2003

"Gilmore Girls" is probably the best show of its kind on TV today. If Jane Austen were alive today, she'd be writing this show. It's a great show, first and foremost, because it treats the viewer as an intelligent person and requires one to pay attention. The rewards for doing so are the dozens of subtle jokes and pop references contained in the torrents of conversation that issue from the characters' mouths - ("Gilmore Girls" must have the highest words-spoken-per-minute ratio in the history of TV.)

The writing and acting are both superb. The familiar setting of the small, quirky town allows for the use of many inventive plot devices, like 24-hour dance marathons, picnic basket bachelorette auctions, and vagrants who apply to become the "official town troubadour." You can even throw in a smart-mouthed kid from New York to see how he fares (maybe a tribute to "Northern Exposure"???) The progression of the story is well thought-out and well paced.

Each actor really gets a chance to inhabit his or her role because each character, even the most peripheral, is defined by a very distinct personality and not just an occupation (e.g. hotel desk clerk.) Thus we vividly remember sweet and shallow Shelly, mean Mrs. Kim, and shy guy Brad from Chilton even though they don't appear very often. The principal actors are tremendous, especially Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel, Liza Weil and Scott Patterson. Ever notice the way Luke will sort of tense up/puff up his chest whenever he walks up to Lorelai's table? That's good acting.

On top of all this there are three characteristics of "Gilmore Girls" that make it an exceptional show instead of just high quality. In the first place, it has good drama without being either melodramatic or manipulative. Think about the way the writers handled the Jess vs. Dean issue, and compare that to "Friends" where we have Is-Rachel-Pregnant-Or-Not one episode, Is-Ross-The-Father-Or-Not the next, Did-Joey-Propose-Or-Not the next ad infinitum. On "Gilmore Girls" the drama unfolds not according to plot formulas but the interactions of the characters.

Secondly, the show is female-centered without being self-consciously so or politically charged. The main characters are female human beings, not symbols. To whatever extent they are feminist or empowered, the show presents them as such without commenting on it, and that is refreshing.

Finally, "Gilmore Girls" takes a unique, thoughtful, and complicated view of the relationship between the generations. It's billed as a mother-daughter show but is actually a grandmother-mother-daughter show. On most TV shows, the roles of Grandma and Mom are restricted or stereotyped, but here we have three women of a line, Emily, Lorelai, and Rory, who are made of the same material but have led VERY different lives and are trying to get along and be a family. Occasionally one woman will step outside her role and be a Mom or Kid to one of the others. And this is also refreshing to see on TV.

If you enjoy quality entertainment regardless of genre, "Gilmore Girls" is for you. Enjoy it while it lasts.

the best ever

Author: a vrag from Austria
23 December 2004

i do not exactly know, which audience this show is meant to appeal to. i am a single male in my late thirties with a long history of being in love with my best female "friend". so of course, it will always be the Luke-lorelai relationship that will appeal to me. but the way lorelai interacts with her parents, the way, the town's community is depicted, the sheer speed of a 45 minute drama/comedy, are all simply wonderful. in a lot of ways, it reminds me of thirties' screwball comedies, you know the ones, katherine hepburn, cary grant. anyway, this show is perfectly written, directed and acted. it's a pleasure to watch. my previous favourite shows have been "northern exposure", "picket fences", "buffy" (oh yes) and "frasier". "gilmore girls" took the best of all of them and put it together. i hope, they can keep this sort of level and i hope it will never stop.

Life (caffeinated, with some lemon juice please)

Author: Mercy Bell (mercybell) from MA
16 August 2002

Gilmore Girls is one of those shows that people love because they're so adorable...and they simply don't know it. And not teen pop bunk adorable, but as in they're easy to love. I was surprised by the quality of the series, considering it's on the WB. It's intelligent, creative, and sophisticated in an everyday way. And even though this show has enough sarcasm to give you heartburn (it's fueled by sarcasm, in double digit gallons) the characters are fleshed out and live an alternate lifestyle that may be foreign, but is completely believable. These aren't people who live stereotyped mid class American TV lives, they live like the people next door, but like the strange people next door. They're those specially chosen eccentrics, small town hicks, artists, and snobs who are so full of quirks and idiosyncrasies they tend to make our lives colorful.

And this show is about characters and how they relate to each other. The crux of the show is the relationship between the close in age coffee addict mother (Loralai, played by the fantastic Lauren Graham) and daughter (Rory, beautifully played by Alexis Bledel) who have an unusually close knit, and witty, relationship. The two are an eccentric pair, they live for each other and pay no heed to those who sneer upon them and indulge in their wacky Bohemian-ness. They eat at Luke's Diner for breakfast and order economy size platters of Chinese food from Al's House of Pancakes. Rory likes chaperones, Loralai intrinsically trusts her daughter.

When Rory is accepted to a posh prep school (which she doesn't care for, but deals with because, quite simply, she has a higher IQ than most of the town and wants to get to Harvard) paid for by her incorrigible and borderline personality grandmother (another recurring character), her mother has to take a job she doesn't want at a first class hotel, and thus a whole passel of problems and dilemmas occur. Long term plot lines gracefully combine with town occurrences, scandals, gossip, etc, and create a show with as much flavor and pizzazz as Stars Hollow can take.

And where the sarcasm and one liners, bizarre scenarios and crazy happenings flow freely there's always an underlying riptide that surfaces quickly here and there, and the tensions that arise can become especially pungent because we're allowed to be close to the characters. For example, in one episode Rory accidentally falls asleep next to her boyfriend late one night while they were both reading a book together, and next morning they are found by Miss Patty (the fabulously fabulous Liz Torres who is also from "American Family"), nothing had happened, Rory is completely innocent, but Loralai is worried when she's alerted that she hadn't come home and receives the call that they had been found together. Rory's grandmother jumps to conclusions and starts harshly saying that Rory has ruined her life just the way Loralai had, but her mother adamantly sticks up for her. Yet when Rory comes in, they have an explosive fight, with Rory crushed that her mother didn't trust or believe her.

And yet situations with even a slight potential for sugaryness are resolved with lightning fast dialogue a la `Philadelphia Story'. The fact that they're close is already there, anything else feels wrong. This is the genius of the show's writing and acting. All said, whether during revealing moments of emotion or poignancy, or the standard rib cracking, fire crackling wit and sarcasm, this show gets under your skin and refuses to let go. It's more than a gem, and I hope that it lasts.

Thoughtful show

Author: Christopher Reid ( from Belize
24 November 2004

While it may appear to be a chick thing, I enjoy watching this show. The characters are not stereotypical and stand out thanks to the great job of both writers and actors (I especially enjoy Melissa McCarthy and Liza Weil's portrayal of their characters), the show is chock full of wit (that is if your brain is quick enough to register the references made through the fast speech) and the plot, from what I have seen, is more than sufficient to keep you wanting to see more.

My favorite thing about the show is that, unlike other dramas, it isn't too over the top. The plot progresses smoothly and slowly (just slow enough), and while the show changes as time passes, it doesn't change so completely as other shows in the same genre would. It is a perfect example of that while life changes, it is a subtle change, not an overt one.

I would recommend anyone in search of intelligent, witty television to watch this show. I give it a 9 out of 10, and I hope that it stays on the air for years to come.

Yes, I am a guy and I like this show

Author: cadfile from Columbus, Ohio
16 March 2003

"Gilmore Girls" on the surface is about relationships. The relationship between Lorelai and her teen daughter Rory is at center stage but their other relationships are shown. It is truthful in that Lorelai and Rory have real feelings and aren't afraid to express them. The show also unfolds how in a small community like Star Hollow, relationships overlap. It is what makes small towns a great place and terrible place to live. It is good because people are there to help you out if you need it - but bad because EVERYBODY knows your business.

In guy talk the show is what is known as a "chick flick".

But hold on. This show is so complex that if you try to classify it as merely a show by women for women then you are not looking hard enough.

There are almost no TV shows about a good mother-daughter relationship. Sometimes Lorelai and Rory go over the top in their sweetness to each other but most of the time their relationship rings true. There could be more conflict as Rory seems to be a carbon copy of Lorelai and that kind of thing almost never happens in real mother daughter relationships.

The other layer of the show is the quirky citizens of Star Hollow. Each are written and expressed in concrete forms that add to the show rather than take away. Most of the conflict in the show involves these other characters and their interactions with Lorelai and Rory.

"Gilmore Girls" is the kind of show we need on TV. Quality and a lot of it.

Welcome to their little corner of the world.

Author: Victor Field from London, England
16 September 2003

"Gilmore Girls" (like Leonard Maltin, I usually like to use the title as it appears on screen, but we'll forego the nomenclature "Gilmore girls") is one of those shows that positive word of mouth and the "You know, this does seem like a good show" vibe from hearing about it made me want to get a look at; the series has finally started UK airings on Nickelodeon, a strange choice for the channel - it's certainly comedic, but it's more of a comedy-drama than the usual stuff that's on Nick. (Plus, unlike all its regular shows it's an hour series.)

My rule of thumb is that if a series doesn't encourage me to keep watching by its third episode, it won't do so after its thirtieth; Amy Sherman-Palladino's series passed by the end of the first one. A number of viewers have commented that the dialogue isn't too realistic, and Lorelei Gilmore is certainly so quick with the witty repartee you wonder why she's not a stand-up comic instead of managing an inn (possibly a clue as to why one of the companies involved is called Dorothy Parker Drank Here Productions?), but it does have the saving grace of actually being funny... something that can't be said for a lot of official comedies.

What helps the series work so far, apart from the dialogue, is the characters - just as "M*A*S*H"'s laugh track was kept out of the operating room even in the American broadcasts (it was initially broadcast in the UK sans track), the relationships between Lorelei and Lorelei (that's Rory - in the pilot we learned that she was named after her mother) aren't actually played for gags endlessly, and her mother's certainly strong but not a bitch, the way the makers could have easily done. No one in the show so far is truly bad or good, which bodes well, and the bond between mother and daughter is a rare thing for TV - they're both relatives and true friends without making you want to vomit, not a common thing in family dramas.

We're about three years behind the WB, and I'm looking forward to catching up with the Gilmores and their friends (it's impossible not to symapthise with Rory's best friend in particular, what with her health-food-obsessed/antique-selling mother). And on a purely shallow note, Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel must be the most attractive mother-daughter pairing in recent television history. Beautiful and funny? Who needs Madonna kissing Britney?

Funny and touching

Author: rbverhoef ( from The Hague, Netherlands
15 February 2003

The Gilmore girls is about a mother who had a daughter when she was 16. Now the daughter is 16 (in season 1) and they live like sisters. Sharing everything, trusting each other completely.

I like The Gilmore Girls but I am not sure why. The mother, named Lorelai (Lauren Graham), and the daughter, named Rory (short for Lorelai, played by Alexis Bledel), are both very beautiful women, they are both funny and they are charming in their own ways. There are some funny supporting characters, such as Luke (Scott Patterson). He and Lorelai like each, may be even love each other, but neither of them really acts on it. They have their little moments. There are some other supporting characters, most of them very funny, and with their won touching moments.

What I like the most I think is to see the relationship between the young mother and the daughter who is becoming an adult. The dialogue between them is quick, sharp, funny and sometimes touching as well. The band they have is beautiful. The Gilmore Girls makes you feel good so try it.

Page 1 of 27:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]