IMDb > Equilibrium (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 116:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Run For Cover Lest Ye Be Equalized

Author: krocheav from Australia
20 March 2017

What a sorry state of affairs we have when perhaps younger viewers don't know enough about the classics of their genre. This makes it easy for pretentious writers and movie makers to churn out cheap copies of prestigious works by Orwell, Bradury, etc and 'almost' get away with it! Thankfully the box office returns reveal the truth in the final count. The great intelligent stories by acclaimed writers that this moronic near 'parody' tries to rip off deserve respect - but Equilibrium simply offers up a mix of serious plagiarizing and childish special effects. Those who like comics will enjoy this tosh, others will be totally let down. Surprising how IMDb seemed to get this one so wrong - I don't often agree with Rotten Tomatoes but this time they got it right - sign of the times? - the future goes backwards...

Hardly unseen before. Nice cinematography, though.

Author: Ana Silva (Anaslair) from Portugal
26 February 2017

By now, dystopian societies where people are not allowed to feel for the greater good is no longer a new concept. This movie came out 14 years ago though, so I can only assume it was pretty new back then.

Still, having that in mind, it was not very entertaining. Some plot twists made no sense while others were predictable, and there were situations where the main character put himself that there is absolutely no chance he could not get caught in such a society. He was allowed to do those things for much too long, for the sake of the narrative evolving to where it did. Even the new sort of martial art of fighting/shooting was quite beautiful and yet there is no way trained soldiers would just wait in line to be shot like that.

Equilibrium presents itself as a blend of Fahrenheit 451 and The Matrix and if you are big on action movies you will probably enjoy it. As I mentioned, some scenes really are capable of dazzling you. However, I do felt the plot could have been polished much, much more and in the end it was just another cool sci-fi, action movie. Extra points for the newness of the concept at the time and Bale's performance, but that's about it.

Very Interesting and Unique! Love it.

Author: Jennifer (LadySailor1975) from Arkansas
1 February 2017

So many movies that depict different versions of what the future may hold. This one depicts what fascism and oppression truly is, even better than most documentaries do! I have always enjoyed films and TV where a hero emerges to free oppressed people and this one did exactly that. This movie turned me into a fan of Christian Bale. I had never really had an opinion on him before, neither positive nor negative. But he was superb in this. This film should have been a blockbuster. Why it was not is beyond me.

After a World War 3, all forms of emotion, entertainment, and religion are banned and people are executed if they allow themselves to feel. Even pets are illegal since they make people happy. A drug is used every few hours that suppresses human emotion and leads to complete submission to the will of "Father"-- a dictator in full control. After he executes his own partner for reading a book of poetry, Preston (Bale) eventually succumbs to emotion himself. He realizes how important emotion and liberty are and joins the resistance to free the people. He is pleased to learn that his own children have not been using the emotion-suppressing drugs themselves since losing their mother. He eventually kills the dictator and destroys his tools of indoctrination and the people will now be free.

You want to see a world under control of a fascist would look like? Watch this one.

There are a few disturbing scenes, such as the extermination of some dogs (which one is rescued by Bale). People are mercilessly show down for simply desiring freedom. Preston's wife is arrested in front of the two young children.

The action sequences, especially by Christian Bale, are exciting and thrilling. Though a few scenes are slightly slow, it is altogether a great film. This movie should have outdone many movies I have seen in the past 15 years.

What are you waiting for? See it now.

Probably the most underrated movie that I have watched

Author: Santiago González
21 December 2016

Wow, what a movie. I just saw it on Netflix, after user reviews here caught my curiosity. I don't regret it at all. Quite simply, it is one of the best sci-fi flicks I have had the pleasure of watching, and probably the most underrated in general. The cinematography, the soundtrack, the writing, the action scenes, the performances (albeit not great, but still very good), etc. all fit together perfectly to form what in my opinion is a more-than-excellent film that should have gotten WAY more attention by audiences all over the world. I just regret having watched vastly under-appreciated movies like this and Gattaca so many years after they were released, I'm sure then I would have been blown away by them even more than now. For a movie which has so many characters devoid of feelings, this movie certainly makes me feel a lot of emotions of all kinds! I would recommend it to anyone.

Dressed up C-film

Author: enerkhan from Belgium
11 November 2016

It's difficult to label this a good movie as the screenplay is simplistic, the movie is of adolescent emotionality and the whole story feels simply unrealistic and short-through-the-curve in every manner. It's not that there aren't any good movies in the genre. V for Vendetta is a good example, and closer to the fibre of Equilibrium there's the better movie Gattaca. Of course Sean Bean and Christian Bale act great, as does Emily Watson. Stylization is also sharp and well done. But despite all that, this is in essence a dressed up C-movie in the same league as, for instance, Jupiter Ascending. The movie mainly feels geared to be somewhat of a decrepit action movie which might make adolescent viewers feel tough. For people above thirty and of even minor intelligence, though, three quarters of what is said and done is simply trash. Not my cup of T.

Brilliant film which came out at the wrong time.

Author: BrickNash from United Kingdom
6 November 2016

I don't get people sometimes. This film got panned for having the 'silly' gun kata and the boards are flooded with negative posts about just how daft it all is.

All I can say is that if you are so uptight and so boring that you can't accept a little silliness in not just your life, but in a movie then there is something wrong with you.

Equilibrium is a tremendous film. Stylish, gripping and with a concept that not only borrows of of George Orwell's 1984 but does completely it's own thing with it. The cast is great, the action is super slick and the visuals are sumptuous.

If the film had one flaw I'd say that it was maybe a little too familiar with The Matrix which was an extremely hot property back in 2002 and the obvious comparisons were probably drawn which led to it's poor critical reception.

Don't be fooled though, this is FAR better then both Matrix sequels and is a rip roaring standalone film in it's own right which is both interesting and highly entertaining.

Thoroughly entertaining and thought provoking film!

Why.. why

Author: mail-873-825928 from United States
2 November 2016

I love Science Fiction. I love Christian Bale. Why, why was this movie such a fail? The writing. This contrived pastiche rips elements from 1984, The Giver, Aeon Flux, and Brave New World in the most predictable, unoriginal way imaginable. They should have just taken one step farther left and called this "Not Another Dystopian Movie" and slapped a laugh track over it. Aside from being technically sci-fi and having clearly spent a large amount of money on production, the film has no redeeming qualities. The dialogue is flat, the characters are weak, Christian Bale couldn't even bring this roadkill to life. I think if this was the first movie I had seen with CB, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy American Psycho. The studio should left it on the cutting room floor, washed their hands, shut the door and burned the place down.

It's decent as a mindless watch and the fight scenes can get pretty creative and fun but that's about it.

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
27 October 2016

This movie when looking at it is clearly one inspired by the wardrobe of The Matrix and even has these nigh-on unstoppable fighters on their side. I will admit when looking at this I thought it would basically be THX-1138 as an action movie and with those expectations in mind I was correct but to me the dystopian future stories that do resonate with me usually are frightening because of it being seemingly realistic or in the case of Blade Runner does show something worth thinking about after the movie's end and this unfortunately has none of that.

The plot is that World War 3 has erupted and ceased, the world leaders in the aftermath see that the one way to eradicate all wars or crime is to impose a new system wherein the citizens are drugged to not feel anything and instead just be part of a complete system. All art is destroyed to avoid the risk of people feeling (which begs the question of whether or not this is a placebo). The Clerics are also born, an organization dedicated to raising Gestapo imagery and murdering anyone not in the system. We follow one Cleric slowly rebelling and overthrowing the system.

Okay, I really do have questions about the functionality of the world. After reading 1984 that book does set the standard for this because that book shows us a system that's grown too powerful to be overthrown and here, people act like they feel in this world. I know it's weird but when one character high up in government outbursts in anger I thought Christian Bale would report him to the authorities (this was while still hooked on the system). My interpretation of this would be them being purely of logic (well when emotions are taken away what else is there?) but while that does start out to be the case by the end characters show so many signs that they're feeling it really is a wonder whether or not it is a placebo. The dialogue also screws this up in many places.

Oh and one other thing. I almost predicted the entire movie. It is seemingly there to say "a world without emotions is bad"... I knew that! I also feel as though one of the twists of this movie really drags things down. Christian Bale's son turns out to have stopped taking the compulsory drugs as well. I hate to bring up 1984 but a section is about how parents feared their children and it did look like they were going with this and I liked it because it was an interesting dynamic that I had never seen before on screen (at least in something that wasn't an evil kid horror movie or that one Twilight Zone episode).

Okay what do I like about this movie? I actually like Christian Bale's performance, it really does seem like he knows how to make things interesting when being both unfeeling and feeling. The cinematography, I'll admit is excellent. I love the use of lighting this movie has and framing it's just brilliant. I also think the fight scenes were creatively shot as well if a bit disorienting. While I did say I didn't like the twist about Christian Bale's kid (who also gives a good performance actually... at the start) I will say the twist about who "Father" (The person running the whole thing) is actually very good, I'll honestly say I didn't see it coming and when it's explained it doesn't feel like a cop-out and it's actually the most intelligent plot point in the movie.

Is this worth watching? As a mindless watch, yes. It works best if you don't really think about the world they set up too hard (especially with the Nazi imagery and the people wearing blue overalls, sorry for bringing this book up a third time in this review but I'm convinced it's a direct reference to 1984) and just instead focus on the cinematography and Christian Bale's performance. I wouldn't recommend this if you're looking for a thought-provoking dystopian future movie but it does it's job as something harmless.

Wouldn't quite recommend it

Author: Eric Stevenson from United States
25 October 2016

At first glance, it would be pretty easy to dismiss this as just a lame Matrix wannabe, but it really is more than that. I actually did end up liking this movie for the most part, but I will admit it had a lot of flaws. This movie features a guy named John Preston who lives in a world that takes place after World War III where everyone is forced to use a drug to stop them from having individuality. I admit that this isn't original. The idea of a dystopian future has been done a seemingly infinite number of times before. There was even an episode of "The Simpsons" that made a great joke about this.

I still ended up enjoying this. I think it's probably because there are some really intense scenes in this. There are parts where it seems like he's just going to save the day, but that doesn't happen at all. I guess this movie took more risks than usual. Yeah, you could argue it's just a dumb action movie with tons of gun fights, but it's still pretty cool. It's at least above average and should please most action fans. There's better movies out there, but there's even more worse movies. The acting's pretty good and even if the concept isn't that original, it mostly entertained me. ***

One of my favorite movies.

Author: mostartdotcom
12 October 2016

This is an amazing movie and i love almost everything about it. Everyone should watch this once. i think its pretty awesome to see such a fun action scientific thriller. The emotions are the best part of the movie. i don't want to spoil it so i'm not going to say anything about this flick. Anywho just check it out and you'll see. :) Don't worry about the fact that it feels a bit like the Matrix. its Christians bales fun role as he usually does pretty well. Definitely check it out in a nice setting so you can enjoy all the thrills throughout the whole flick. i'm sure you will really like it once you see how Christian bale. he is one of my favorite actors.

Page 1 of 116:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]