IMDb > Tangled (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Confused

Author: Damaduende (damaduende@yahoo.com) from Buenos Aires, Argentina
25 March 2004

I´m sorry, what was I supposed to feel at the end of this movie? (spoilers ahead) Was I supposed to be shocked because Shawn Hatosy´s character wasn´t such a nice guy after all? Was I supposed to feel sorry for Johnathan Rhys-Meyer´s character? Well, it didn´t happen. He slept with the girl after all, no one put a gun to his head. He had the drug at his house, no one force him. So, Im not sure what was all about in the end. The guy was a creep, he had it coming. So, his friend wasn´t such a wimp after all, that was a relief. I don´t know, I enjoyed the movie, but the end was kind of a waste, trying to turn the good guy into a semi psycho when all I think he did was to get the girl he loved. All right, maybe he went a little bit overboard, but who hasn´t, one way or another? I give this movie a 6/10.

Underrated movie

Author: rpzowie (rpzowie@yahoo.com) from USA
20 February 2005

I thought this was an extremely well-done suspense mystery that attempts to answer the question: what does a young man do when he's in love with his best friend, only to see someone else move in on her? Jonathan Rhys-Meyers' performance was well beyond convincing, to the point where it felt I was watching actual events transpire before me. Overall, I thought this was a very good story line with some good plot twists. Rachael Leigh Cook and Shawn Hatosy were also well cast. This is the type of film that will generate a lot of things to discuss regarding the plot, antagonists and so far. It might not be Heat (my favorite film), but it's good.

Good idea, bad execution

Author: Superunknovvn from Austria, Vienna
21 May 2006

The premise of "Tangled" is a promising one. It's the old story of unrequited love in a triangle of friends which leads to madness and violence. Could make for a thrilling movie, but for some reason "Tangled" was made more complex than it should be with its unnecessary flashback-storytelling and its "surprising" twist ending. A traditional approach would have made for a much more natural feel. Also, in the final third of the movie characters start to behave unbelievably, all for the sake of a more shocking "outcome". Leigh Cook and Rhys Meyers do their best to give their characters more credibility, but Shawn Hatosy and his wooden facial expressions make everything worse. "Tangled" is watchable if nothing else is on, but it's neither a good movie, nor a satisfying way to kill time.

Three way passion

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
23 June 2004

Many critics will agree that the story of tangled does not hold up. The ending was surprisingly good. The narrator always has control of what he / she wants you to known. The idea that the narrator is lying, you wouldn't know unless the narrator tells you. Otherwise, what the narrator says is the truth. The acting is decent alongside the movie's production value. Although there is only brief nudity, the passion between the 3 main characters do hold up to keep the audiences attention. Rachael Leigh Cook, who continues to not show any skin, keeps her two "male" friends in limbo with who she wants to love and who she will only like. With a number of fake and absent sex scenes, Tangled is more of a tease than a thriller. With the good acting and average storyline, the movie is only worth watching once.

Unexpectedly Good!

Author: Heru Harry Rahadi from Jakarta, Indonesia
26 May 2002

At first, I thought this is a second class movie with horrible acting, scene, script and so on and so on. But, after I watched it, I realized that I judged it too early. It's not as bad as I thought, as the matter in fact, it's not bad at all. It's unexpectedly good.

The cross-cut scene, the premise of thriller and good cinematography are already there when you watched it for 15 minutes. The more you watch it, you just follow what will happen and it may surprise you as it's not like what you expect.

What makes me amazed more is that, after I knew this is the first movie of the director, the script writer and the story writer. For their first experience, yes ... it's amazingly great movies. I hope to see more of their movies in the future. I must congratulate them for this.

Not as Bad as the first 15 Minutes Lead you to Believe

Author: JayJay_Scotland from Edinburgh, Scotland
13 May 2002

While I found this suspense-thriller to be rather mediocre in many ways, I am glad to say this film did manage to keep my attention for its hour and a half or so duration.

'Tangled' was a film I had never heard of before, but rented it on the basis of a decent cast (especially Rachael Leigh Cook) and the fact there was nothing else interesting at the store which I had not seen already. It has a very low budget feel to it, as if this could really have been a made for TV movie. It's basically a fairly typical teen film; light plot, suspect acting in places, and just about entertaining enough. The film in the most part is told in flashbacks and concerns a three way relationship between friends Jenny (Cook), Alan (Rhys-Meyers) and David (Hatosy) as told by David. The film starts with Jenny and David as close friends boardering on lovers, but things take a very different and sinister turn when Alan comes on the scene. The film was very, very similar to the 1995 film 'Fear' starring Mark Wahlberg and Reese Witherspoon. In this movie Rhys-Meyers essentially plays Wahlberg's character, Cook plays Witherspoon's character, Estelle Warren plays Alyssa Milano's character and Hatosy plays a similar role to that of Witherspoon's father in Fear, though his character is more jealous than overprotective. This is a little better than 'Fear' though.

There were a number of things I liked about the film. The cinematography was nice, and also varied - both warm and vibrant early in the film and dark and cold when things take a downward turn. The way in which the events are told through flashbacks of different times and using varying amonts of colour, though not particularly original (Usual Suspects, Traffic), does at least make it intersting and a little different from the rest of its market. I also liked the fact that Rachael Leigh Cook for once plays a relitively sexy character, rather than her usual 'cute but slightly dorky' ones which have become her trademark (She's all That, All I Wanna Do, Antitrust, etc). There were a few scenes where the director tries to be a little deeper and metaphorical (e.g. kite scene, sitting on car scene, and the story about the brothers), but I felt these scenes suffered from lack of subtlety, especially the kite scene. Still, I liked the fact he tried them.

I do have a number of critisisms though. Firstly, the plot can be a little slow at times which may not be to everyones tastes. Secondly, while the acting in the most part was OK, there were a few times (e.g. Cook's 'shocked and surprised' face in the first 10 minutes) which left me and the guys I was watching it with chuckling. Also the 'twist' ending is very predictable, and we had the whole second half of the movie figured out within the first twenty minutes. Still, theres at least a sense of contentment when things come together on screen how you predicted them.

Overall this is a mixed bag and not bad for a 1st time directorial effort - a mediocre but interesting suspense thriller which is worth a watch if you see it on TV.

Rating: 6/10

Whatever Happened to Lanie Boggs

Author: (pierotti@ku.edu) from OZ
13 February 2005

Tangled is an apt description of this film. It jumps around in both time and point of view so that you never really have a clear view of what actually happens in the climax.

The one thing that kept going through my mind while watching Tangled was that if Rachel Leigh Cook's Lanie Boggs from "She's all That" had gone off to college convinced that she was now attractive to boys she would have grown into the neurotic, annoying Jenny Kelly she plays in this film. Like Lanie, Jenny is pretentious, arty, and self involved. She does however have a doting admirer in David, a shy boy planning to become a writer who appears to be charmed by Jenny's bohemian, pseudo intellectual ways.

David makes the mistake of introducing Jenny to his wacko ex-roommate Alan, one of those guys who is apparently irresistible to women. Alan is better, or at least more dramatic, looking than David. He also appears strongly inclined towards a criminal career, which probably makes him a 'bad boy'. In any case Alan moves in on Jenny, posing nude for her and dragging her off to 'adventures' in the woods. For some strange reason this dysfunctional group becomes a threesome, with Alan and Jenny tormenting David with their romantic activities. I have never seen a crueler scene in a film than when Alan asks David to give him and Jenny 15 minutes alone while they are walking back to their car from an adventure in an abandoned house where something nasty took place in the past involving a good son and a prodigal son.

At this point sunshine temporarily enters this dreary film as Alan sets up David with Elise (Estella Warren) a big, funny, sexy girl who originally thinks Alan is asking her out, but manages to respond well when she discovers she has made a date with David instead. Many people have disparaged Estella Warren as an actress, but in the scene in the café with David when she realizes he is her date, Estella Warren does more acting using her face alone than Rachel Leigh Cook does in the entire film. Watching Warren's look change from disappointment to embarrassment to pity to sympathy in the space of a minute shows a genuine sense of how human emotions work. Later as Elise and David walk and talk, Elise's self deprecating humor and ability to poke gentle fun at David's pretensions mark her as a keeper, at least to me.

(Spoiler alert) Instead of thanking his lucky stars that a girl like Elise would be interested in him, David remains obsessed with Jenny. Jenny catches Alan and Elise together in flagrante delicto (apparently like Ado Annie, Elise is a girl who can't say no), causing Jenny to throw a monumental, but very arty, hissy fit. This serves to draw David and Jenny together, especially after Alan is arrested for possession with intent to distribute.

Alan is convinced that Jenny set him up, out of jealousy,and he plots his revenge during his year in prison. Turns out however, that David is not quite the wimp he appears to be. He used Elise to set up Alan and then turns in Alan so he can have the rebounding Jenny to himself.

Everything culminates a year or so later in the abandoned house where David shoots Alan, either to protect himself and Jenny (the official version), or from anger (the apparent true version) because as he says, "After all I did for her, she still wanted the a**hole". At least at this point most men in the audience will feel sympathy with David.

I recomend it for RLC and JRM fans.

Author: johnnymoviefan from New York, USA
13 October 2002

When I first saw this movie with friends, they thought it was confusing, but I followed the plot just fine. I have to admit, it wasn't the best movie I have ever seen, but anyone who is a fan of Rachel Leigh Cook, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, or Shawn Hatosy would like it. I, a huge fan of JRM, did. You can tell this was a low-budjet film, but the acting was great. The plot was a little far-fetched, but the ending was good. All in all, if you can't find anything to rent on a Friday night, grab a big ol' bag of popcorn, some friends, and try this movie... especially if want to see a really hott guy, JONATHAN RHYS MEYERS!

Not very thrilling

Author: The_Void from Beverley Hills, England
2 November 2008

I have a habit of enjoying small scale thrillers, and figured Tangled looked good enough for me to spend some of my precious time on. Well, not only is this film not good enough to warrant using up ninety minutes of my time; it's arguably not even a thriller, seeing as the movie features nothing in the way of suspense; and doesn't make up for that with anything interesting about the characters or the situation. This is actually a real shame because the base of this movie is good and could easily have lead into something worthwhile; but the writers clearly weren't talented enough to capitalise on the promise. The plot focuses on a love triangle between three young people and as the film starts, one of the triangle has been admitted to hospital with plenty of bumps and bruises. He gets questioned by the police and the film then cuts to flashbacks which shows us what happened in the build up to him being beaten up and put in hospital. Turns out that there's a girl named Jenny at the bottom of it; and this starts a rivalry between two friends.

The choice to have the film cutting back from flashbacks all the time was a big mistake; it's really annoying and means that the film doesn't flow very well, which certainly affects it in terms of tension and suspense. A film like this therefore really needs to have strong characters to work from; but it doesn't. None of the three central ones are really fleshed out and I didn't believe their relationships either. The three central cast members are not particularly good; they're not helped by the script, in fairness, but the performances are nothing special anyway. This is only the second time I've seen Rachael Leigh Cook in anything (Get Carter remake being the first) and I doubt I'll be seeking out anything else with her in it. Shawn Hatosy is as wooden as they come, while Jonathan Rhys Meyers does put some effort in but doesn't create a convincing character. The first hour is really quite dull and comes off as more of a drama than a thriller. The final third of the film is when the inevitable twist comes into play and while the finale is better than the rest of the film; it's really nothing to write home about. Overall, Tangled tries it's best to be clever but unfortunately fails and I wouldn't even recommend this as a decent timewaster.

A Gem of a Movie --- Rachael Leigh Cook's Best-Ever Role

Author: vitaleralphlouis from United States
21 May 2007

Just as Dimension Pictures provided Kirsten Dunst with her best and sexiest role in the spider-free "Crazy/Beautiful" -- now Rachael Leigh Cook with a part in "Tangled" that brings out the full range of her talent as an actress, and her magnetic sex appeal.

Two young men are best friends, but one has Rachael Leigh Cook for his girl friend. A common problem in real life but seldom in non-comedy movies, the other guy likes Rachael but of course he keeps this buried and quietly accepts the fact that Rachael wants and belongs to the other guy. But things can change.......

There is a 1 minute 43 second scene which I've lifted from the movie and show people as "Almost Two Minutes in Paradise" --- one man's dream is fulfilled after a 2 year effort including betrayal and literally stabbing his best friend in the back: Rachael wakes up and after kissing the guy on the cheek begins a ragging fit screeching about her not finding her cigarettes. When her Marlboro's are found after numerous 4 letter words and slamming around, the seizure stops and she coyly smiles in the young man's face. True happiness! Great moments are NOT romantic moonlit walks on the beach. Such ideas are for shallow losers. Great romantic moments are being with a 90 lb spitfire, full of life, overloading your heart, ragging on a guy at 8 AM before the coffee's had time to drip.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]