IMDb > WrestleMania XIV (1998) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

WrestleMania XIV (TV) More at IMDbPro »

GOODBYE SHAWN MICHAELS

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
2 May 2002

This was a good event. The matches on the undercard were pretty decent. There were three matches that really stood out.

Firstly, the Undertaker battled his 'brother' Kane in an exciting match pitting two top monsters against each other.

Marc Mero and Sable fought Goldust and Luna Vachon in an entertaining match. During that match Sable showed that she was more than just a pretty face.

In the main event WWF Champion Shawn Michaels wrestled in his last match against Stone Cold Steve Austin. This was a brilliant match and I was totally impressed because Shawn was wrestling with a bad back and you could see he was in agony at times. But he didn't let Austin carry the match-he gave his usual 110 percent and gave the fans a great match. That was the most memorable thing about this WrestleMania!

The beginning of the upswing for the WWF

Author: Hack-Man from Minneapolis, MN
24 February 2001

[Warning: SPOILERS for match results. --Otto "Hack-Man" Heuer]

Following are the results of the WWF Wrestlemania XIV pay-per-view event held on March 29, 1998 in Boston, MA.

1. The reunited Legion of Doom (in new costume) won the 15 tag team battle royale, eliminating the Midnight Express. --Sunny was managing LOD

Sunny's outfit was nice.

LOD look really, really, old. They're apparently trying to grown their hair out, but that only shows that Hawk has a bald spot (which wasn't apparent before since he had the two stripes of hair on either side of it).

No surprises in this match, other than the fact that it was a clean win. I was expecting Sunny to interfere.

Second worst match of the night.

-- LOD earn title shot at IYH: Unforgiven in April

2. TAKA Michinoku d. Aguila

-- Michinoku retains WWF Light-Heavyweight title

Second best match of the night. The crowd was DEAD, though. TAKA has some nice moves. This is the first I had seen of either wrestler.

3. Hunter Hearst Helmsley d. Owen Hart

-- HHH retains WWF European title

-- Chyna threw powder at Sgt. Slaughter, allowing her to interfere

I'm sure we'll be treated to a Sarge vs Chyna match in a month or two. It can be a chin vs chin match or something.

This is the first time I've seen Chyna since her implants. It's an improvement.

Somewhere in here Gennifer Flowers interviewed The Rock. Geez. He's sure improved since his Rocky Miavia days. Hearing him refer to himself so often in the third person gets annoying real fast though. Flowers asked him lots of questions about how he would lead the country. He had lots of good lines (that I don't remember) and then said something like "I'd uphold the strong oral values... sorry, MORAL values..."

4. Marc Mero & Sable d. Goldust & Luna Vachon in a mixed tag team match

-- Sable pinned Luna following a TKO, she also executed a good powerbomb during the match.

I was surprised that Sable actually pulled off three wrestling moves in her first match. Geez... Marc Mero looks different since the last time I saw him. Especially his hair. I probably wouldn't have recognized him if he hadn't been with Sable. I don't really like Luna's new hair, but it's nice to see she got rid of some of the painted on lines from her face.

Somewhere in here Pete Rose came out and did a GREAT heel schtick on the stick as he put down Boston baseball fans. Kane came out and tombstoned him. Rose sold it great. He sure earned his $25,000.

5. Rocky Maivia d. Ken Shamrock via reversed decision

-- Shamrock had won by submission, but was then DQ'd for not releasing the anklelock and attacking several officials

-- Maivia retains WWF Intercontinental title

Better match than I expected. One of the two juiced hardway with a broken nose or something. I had never seen Shamrock, and the last time I saw Rocky--he sucked.

6. Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie d. Billy Gunn & Road Dawg in a dumpster match

-- Gunn and Dawg were placed in a dumpster via a forklift

-- Cactus & Charlie win WWF Tag Team titles

Match of the night. High spot was when Cactus "found" an eight foot stepladder under the ring, set it up in the ring, climbed up it to drop an elbow on one of the NAO, but was met by the other NAO who was climbing up the other side. Funk got whipped into the side of the ladder, which tipped over, sending CJ and an NAO over the top rope into the dumpster (which was filled with at least cardboard and maybe other padding).

This match would have made ECW proud.

7. Undertaker d. Kane

-- Several tombstones were executed throughout the match

-- Kane tombstoned UT on a chair post-match, but UT recovered and left on his own

Worst match of the night. It was 17 minutes of rest holds. The only high spot I called about 10 to 20 seconds before it happened (Undertaker falling off the ring apron and through the Spanish announcers' table).

8. Steve Austin d. Shawn Michaels

-- Mike Tyson counted the pinfall, indicating a double-cross of DX by Tyson. Tyson would proceed to knock out Michaels after Michaels threw a punch at him

-- Austin wins WWF World title

No surprises here, since Shawn is taking 9+ months off to heal.

I called the ref bump about 20 to 30 seconds before it happened. I could have done without seeing SCSA pull down Michaels' tights, though. Euuuuuwwww... I was kinda expecting Syxx to show up, but he'll probably be at Raw tomorrow. Michaels didn't take many bumps and really looked like he was in pain.

The beginning of the Stone Cold era

Author: bh_tafe3 from Australia
7 February 2010

WWE was in need of a saviour as Wrestlemania 14 rolled around. The departure of Bret Hart and subsequent evaporation of the Hart Foundation had left the Vile D-Generation X stable unchallenged in the WWE. Their despicable leader Shawn Michaels had stolen the title from Hart thanks to the interference of Vince McMahon and, with help from his cohorts Triple H and Chyna had systematically taken out anyone who challenged his supremacy. But at the Royal Rumble a new contender had emerged. Stone Cold Steve Austin. Hated by McMahonagement, Austin had DX worried. So worried in fact that they'd enlisted the help of "The Baddest Man on the Planet" Mike Tyson as a special enforcer. Austin would have the odds firmly against him in his title match with Shawn Michaels.

But first, there was an undercard to get through which kicked off with the Legion of Doom winning a forgettable 15 team battle Royal to become NO.1 contenders for the tag titles. I'd actually forgotten this match existed until I rewatched the PPV. No very good and really highlighted the lack of depth in the tag division at that period in time.

Next match saw the Light Heavyweight title defended by Champion Taka Michonoku against Aguila. The WWE had established the Light Heavyweight Title to compete with the strong Cruiserweight Division in WCW. It was not successful and this was the only time the title was ever defended at Wrestlemania. Short match, going about five minutes, and in fact too short for much to be achieved. What little they did was exciting and this was a nice little match which saw Taka retaining his title.

OK, our next match saw DX member Triple H defending the WWE European title, which he'd won in farcical fashion from Shawn Michaels on RAW in December and hadn't defended on PPV, against Owen Hart, the Sole Survivor. Triple H got a big entrance with the DX band there to perform his theme song. Chyna accompanied Triple H to ringside, but was then handcuffed to WWE Commissioner Sgt Slaughter. Triple H and Owen have a nice little match, before Chyna interfered causing a low blow on Hart which leads to Triple H retaining the title. Good match, could have been great had it gone slightly longer.

But of course we wouldn't want to take time away from our next match which saw real life husband and wife Marc Mero and Sable defeat Goldust and Luna Vachon in the first mixed tag match at Wrestlemania in 8 years. And, in all honesty, it wasn't worth the wait. While not terrible, the match was in no way memorable either. This was the nearing the end of Mero's only run in the WWE and the main purpose was to continue the disintegration of his relationship with Sable.

Next up we saw Ken Shamrock flip out and cost himself the Intercontinental Championship as he destroyed IC Champion The Rock, but then refused to let go of his ankle lock submission hold, resulting in the referee reversing his decision. This was a short match, but decent for what it was.

Next saw the first good match of the night as WWE Tag Team Champions the New Age Outlaws lost their titles to Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie in a fun dumpster match. The decision was overturned the following night as Cactus and chainsaw had thrown the Outlaws into a dumpster backstage, rather than the one being used in the match, but this was still a fun match.

NOw it was time for the highly anticipated first ever meeting between Kane and his brother the Undertaker. Kane had cost Undertaker the WWE Championship at the Royal Rumble and then "killed" him when he helped Shawn Michaels lock Undertaker in a casket and set him on fire as revenge for the Undertaker burning down their parents house and leaving him horribly disfigured years before. This was a decent match and told a nice story as the Underataker absorbed everything Kane could throw at him and then knocked him out with three tombstones to end the match.

This left only the main event which saw WWE Champion face Steve Austin with Mike Tyson as the guest enforcer. Michaels had suffered a debilitating back injury in his match with the Undertaker at the Royal Rumble and was remarkable in this match despite his physical limitations. Triple H and Chyna were banished to the back in the early going after interfering from the outside. The match ended with Austin ducking an attempt at Sweet Chin Music and hitting the Stone Cold Stunner with the ref down. TYson then came into the ring to count the three, celebrating the win with Austin and then knocking out Michaels after the match. It turned out Tyson and Austin were together and the cat had been playing with the mouse all along.

That was the final PPV match for Shawn Michaels for four and a half years. It helped establish Austin as the biggest star in the wrestling business and the mainstream publicity garnered by Tyson's appearance proved a crucial turning point in the WWE's battle with WCW. Austin would go on to become the biggest star in WWE History, and along with the Rock, Mick Foley, the Undertaker and Triple H lead the WWE through the period where they would gain their highest level of cultural relevance. And it all started here at Wrestlemania 14.

Finally, guys get their revenge...

Author: amanwhorocks from Czech Republic
1 June 2014

Well, OK, we started with the worst version of USA anthem I've ever heard by the band that recorded DX theme.

1. 15 man Tag Team Battle Royal - Pointless, That was an awful beginning, with Legion of Doom victory. 5/10

2. WWF Light Heaavyweight Title match: Aguila Vs. Champ-Taka Michinoku - Aguila strongly look alike Juventud Guerrera, which was unmasked by Chris Jericho. Is there something? Taka retained. 7.5/10

3. WWF European Title match: Champ-HHH Vs. Owen Hart - Slaughter should take care of Chyna not to interfere, but he was totally useless. She cheeped shot Owen and HHH scored. 7/10

4. Luna/Artist formerly known as Goldust Vs. Sable/Marc Mero - Sable's got her revenge on Luna, but I must look at Goldust :/ 7/10

5. WWF Intercontinental Title match: Champ-The Rock Vs. Shamrock - Ken won, but because of his rage against Rock, referee reversed decision and champ still Rock. Insult. Because of that: 6.5/10

6. WWF World Tag Team Title match: Cactus Jack/Chainsaw Charlie Vs. Champs-New Age Outlaws - Crazy match but I really like Mick Foley he deserved World heavyweight Champioship. New champs. 7.5/10

7. The Undertaker Vs. Kane - Finally these two met. Undertaker overcame himself, landed through the table! Kane kicked-out 3 Tombstone Piledrivers, Undertaker one. Taker won in a strange way, because Kane kicked-out after three count. But we can say he won. 8.5/10

8. WWF World Heavyweight Title Match: Stone Cold Steve Austin Vs. Champ-Shawn Michaels - Match wasn't from best, ending with Tyson was a little bit pathetic (and obvious), but Stone Cold finally get the gold. 9/10

The WrestleMania that ushered in a new era

Author: jts0405 from United States
27 December 2012

Match 1: Tag Team Battle Royal - Basically a filler match to get the crowd warmed up for the rest of the night. It was basically a match to get some steam behind the returning L.O.D. (Road Warriors). The L.O.D. takes the win in the end and become no. 1 contenders for the tag titles.

Match 2: Taka Michinoku (c) vs. Aguila for the WWF Light Heavyweight Championship - The light heavyweight division showed some real promise for the WWF to counteract the phenomenal cruiserweight division in WCW. This match was very fast paced and solid. Michinoku picks up the win. Nothing memorable, but nothing terrible either.

Match 3: Triple H (c) vs. Owen Hart for the WWF European Championship - Another match that was just plain good and filled out its spot on the card nicely. Some outside shenanigans take place with Chyna being handcuffed to Sgt. Slaughter. Triple H picks up the win and retains the title thanks to some interference from Chyna.

Match 4: Goldust & Luna vs. Sable & Marc Mero - This match pretty much made Sable. The crowd in Boston was red hot behind her and hated everything Mero attempted to do. This was one of the memorable moments that you can take away from this particular WrestleMania. Sable gets the win for her team.

Match 5: The Rock (c) vs. Ken Shamrock for the WWF Intercontinental Championship - This was one of the better WWF feuds during 1998. These two actually had some real good chemistry as the months went on. This particular match wasn't that great because of the time alloted to it. Only a 4 or 5 minute match. Shamrock makes The Rock submit, but then refuses to break the hold. The referee's decision is reversed and Rock is still the champion. Shamrock loses it and starts taking out WWF officials. Rock wasn't the big superstar he is known as now at this point, but you could see he was getting in touch with the character and he was gonna be something huge with time.

Match 6: The New Age Outlaws (c) vs. Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie in a Dumpster match for the WWF Tag Team Championship - Another match that can specifically be remembered for this WrestleMania. A really good brawl from these two teams. Just as I said with The Rock in the previous match, The Outlaws weren't the big phenomenon they would ultimately be at this point, but you could see it coming, the same could also be said for Cactus Jack (who would best be known as Mankind during this era). In the end Cactus and Chainsaw win the titles after putting Billy Gunn and Road Dogg in a dumpster somewhere backstage.

Match 7: The Undertaker vs. Kane - The first encounter between the two brothers. This storyline worked on so many levels and is impossible to be repeated ever again. Pretty solid outing from Undertaker and Kane in their first match. Undertaker finally is able to put down his brother and win after hitting three tombstone piledrivers.

Match 8: Shawn Michaels (c) vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin for the WWF Championship with Mike Tyson as the Outside Enforcer - This match basically ushered in the Attitude Era. Stone Cold became a phenomenon immediately after winning this match. It wasn't the greatest possible match these two could have had given Michaels back injury at the time, but it was still fairly damn good. Even if the match wasn't up to par, the crowd was invested from bell to bell with the possibility of finally seeing Austin win it all. After the referee is taken out, Austin is able to land a stunner on Michaels and Mike Tyson jumps in the ring to make the three count. Austin wins his first WWF Championship and the crowd goes crazy for him.

The Birth of The Attitude era!.

Author: callanvass
11 February 2010

Wrestlemania 14 is not often looked as one of the great Wrestlemania's but I would personally put it, in my top 5, if not the top 3. It has so many great things, and it truly signified the birth of The Attitude Era, which was WWE's best era, in my opinion. HBK has the heart of a lion, and him putting over Austin like he did, on his way out, was pure class on his part. It has one of the hottest crowds you will ever see, and it has J.R and The King at their announcing best!.

Matches.

15 – team battle royal LOUD pop for L.O.D's return. I'm not a fan of battle royal's, and this is yet another average one. Very predictable, even when you 1st see it, it's obvious L.O.D would win. Looking at Sunny for 8 or so minutes though, definitely helps.

WWF Light Heavyweight Championship

Taka Michinoku|C| Vs Aguila.

Taka gets a surprising pop, with his entrance. Fast, high-flying, and very exciting. If these two had more time, they would have surely tore the roof off, with their stuff. Taka wins with the Michinoku driver.

3 1/2 /5

WWF European Championship.

Triple H|C| Vs Owen Hart Stipulation here, is Chyna is handcuffed to Slaughter. Nice pop for Owen, mixed reaction for Trips. A really, really underrated match, that ranks among one of my favorites for Wrestlemania, actually. The two mixed together very well, and Owen can go with anybody. Trips wins, with Chyna interference.

Mixed Tag match. Marc Mero&Sable Vs Goldust&Luna. Defining pop for Sable, unheard of that time, for woman. Sable actually looks hot, and the crowd is just eating her up!. Constant Sable chants, and them erupting almost every time she gets in the ring. Not bad for a Mixed tag match, it had entertaining antics, and passed the time well. Sable's team wins, when Sable hits the TKO.

2 1/2 /5

WWF Intercontinental Championship. Ken Shamrock Vs The Rock|C|. Before I review the match, I'd like to note The Rock showed off his immense potential, with his interview with Jennifer Flowers, before his match. Nice pop for Shamrock, big time heat for The Rock. Too disappointingly short, and I thought the ending was kinda stupid, though Shamrock's snapping antics were awesome to see, and the crowd went nuts for it. Rock keeps the title, when The Ref reverses the decision.

Dumpster match, for The WWF Tag Team Championship

Catcus Jack&Terry Funk Vs The New Age Outlaws. The Outlaws are not as over, as they were gonna be at this time. Crowd is actually somewhat dead for this, but I thought it had some great Hardcore bits, with some sick looking bumps. Cactus and Terry win the titles in the end.

The Undertaker vs Kane. Big time ovation, for The Undertaker. Much better than there outing at Wrestlemania 20, and for a big man vs big man match, this was really good. It was a great all out brawl, with The Undertaker taking a sick looking bump, through the table. WWE was smart, by making Kane looking strong, even through defeat. After 2 tombstone kick out's, Taker finally puts him away, with a 3rd one.

3 1/2 /5

WWF Championship.

Special Guest Enforcer "Mike Tyson"

HBK|C| Vs Steve Austin. Big heat for Tyson. Crowd goes ape sh*t for Austin, definitely one of the biggest pops I have heard. Mixed reaction, for HBK. This is truly a special match up, one of the greatest wrestlemania main events in history, you can tell when J.R is even out of breath. HBK gives it his all, in what was supposed to be his last match, and Austin has rarely been better. The animosity and electricity from the crowd is amazing, and it's as exciting as it gets. Austin wins with the stunner, with Tyson joining 3:16 by knocking out Michaels. Austin's celebratory victory, is a wonder to behold, with one of the nosiest crowd's you will ever see, King said it right, they were going nuts.

Bottom line. Wrestlemania 14 is one of the greatest for real. It has everything you want in a Wrestlemania, and truly kick started the Attitude Era. This is very special to me, because it was the 1st Wrestlemania I ever saw, back in 98. "The Austin Era, has begun!"

9 1/2 /10

Greatest Wrestlemania of all time

Author: Thomas (tommymaniaxv@hotmail.com) from Saskatoon, Canada
13 August 2002

Any true wrestling fan would have to consider this Wrestlemania to be one of, if not the best of all time. It was packed with excitement and surprises. One of the greatest matches of all time was between Shawn Michaels and Steve Austin with special guest ref Mike Tyson. The show that Michaels put on was unbelievable, especially considering the shape that his back was in and that this was his last match.

Shawn Michaels Final WWF Match--Steve Austin's First WWF Title

Author: J. Watko (BritneySpearsNo1Fan) from Pittsburgh, PA
22 March 2000

This Wrestlemania just didn't do it for me. While some things, such as the battle royal and involvement of celebrities were a throwback to the good old days, so to speak, it seemed to be more of a highbrow "In Your House" than anything else. Above average...worth it for several matches such as the tag team title match, although worthy of note is that the title change meant nothing, as it was reversed the next night.