IMDb > The Mexican (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Mexican

The Mexican More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 35: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Brilliant acting blended with a unique and clever story

Author: Shibby183 from United States
11 September 2001

I came to the theater not expecting much of "The Mexican." I thought a relationship between Julia Roberts (Samantha) and Brad Pitt (Jerry) would appear awkward and unlikely. However, I was pleasantly surprised when "The Mexican" rarely featured Sam and Jerry in the same scenes together. Instead the movie is a portrayal of Sam and Jerry's separate interpretations of the events that unfold. Jerry and Sam are both involved (directly and indirectly) with the retrieval of a gun named, The Mexican. Each character has their own string of stressful and humorous events in relation to the gun. Towards the end of the movie you are presented with a surprising twist of the plot, which gracefully pulls together the hidden symbolism and metaphors carefully placed throughout the movie. In addition to the clever story, the relationship between Sam and Jerry becomes more believable, due to the fact that they are rarely seen together in the movie. In fact they appear to have a wonderful talent for acting off of one another's emotions during their scenes together. I would highly recommend viewing "The Mexican" if you are fan of mysterious, adventurous, comedic, dramatic, or romantic movies. In other words, I highly recommend this movie to everyone.

A zesty, extremely fun venture into the life of an ancient gun

Author: misohungry (moviearistocrat5000@hotmail.com) from New Zealand
10 September 2001

THE MEXICAN (2001) Rating: 8/10

The Mexican has everything going for it – a fun, edgy story; cool leads; heaps of funny, impossible situations and groovy tunes. It is everything I wanted out of a day's entertainment, it's exactly what I was in the mood for. Something not too serious, but still contains drama, while also mixing strong elements of comedy in, too. Okay, I'll admit the film is way over-long and not exactly what I expected, but with the two zesty personalities of the lead actors (Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt – both superb) how can you go wrong? Add to that the movie has a fantastic and original script, a few awesome action scenes and awesome cinematography. I enjoyed this story and its many points-of-view and was never bored. The Mexican has some particularly good scenes, especially the part where Pitt tries to hitch a ride with a Mexican by adding `o' to the end of every word. All in all, The Mexican is an unpredictable, uncontrolled and endlessly entertaining comedy-thriller that you'll just want to rewind and watch all over again after its finished. I'm sure this will be one of the year's best comedies.

Surprisingly entertaining Cohen Bros styling with great wit

Author: sberwick from Dallas TX
31 August 2001

Lots of quirky humor. Gandolfini is great. Not for everyone. Style of story, not content, reminds me of Local Hero. Running themes like the rental car and the dog add to the interest with just minor storylines throughout.

Unlike most, I enjoyed this

Author: Matthew H. Stockton from Dallas
28 August 2001

I don't know why I liked this when most on this board did not. I saw this movie long after the commercial runs, so maybe I was not expecting a Julia / Brad romantic comedy. I enjoyed the two stories; however, I think the movie would have been better if it had focused more on only one of the plot lines. The cinematography of the scenes in Mexico were very good. Rent the DVD version if you can, the scenes that were cut make the movie flow a little better. I do agree with many on this board that the movie seemed to drag at times. On a whole though I enjoyed it. I gave a 7 out of 10, which was probably a little generous.

A funny film which could be easily seen in home video

Author: Silvio Pellerani (silviopellerani@yahoo.it) from Moneglia - Italy
28 August 2001

It has remind me a bit "Picking up the pieces" the Mexican film with Woody Allen and Pulp Fiction, just because in both you can find some elements of surrealism and magic realism.

The plot is easy and nice and the characters very well represented by Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt are well within the expectations however in some parts the film is rather empty and you would expect something more.

Rating: 5/10

Some funny and sweet moments, but...

Author: duanewinner from Armpit of the United States
26 August 2001

I wanted to watch Hannabil, my wife came home with The Mexican. Brad Pitt...hmmm....

OK, there were some amusing moments watching Pitt, but really, his character was all the place. I don't think the writers could decide what his character should be: immature screw-up? clever hero? what? Alot of inconsistancies with his character.

Julia Roberts' character is just plain annoying. If I was Jimmy (Pitt), I would have told that b**ch to pack her bags for Vegas, yeah, good riddance.

James Gandolfini (aka Tony Soprano) was pretty decent, and some of the exchanges between him and Roberts were actually good.

The plot wasn't well executed, and it was one of those flicks where a major scene turns, and you sit there thinking, "huh? Did I miss something?"

If your wife or girlfriend comes home with this one and you have nowhere to go, make sure you have a few beers in the frig to better enjoy this one by...

People, i think you missed out the think a bouts of this movie...

Author: droelofs from Netherlands
25 August 2001

After watching it i enjoyed 2 hours of quality movie making, the slightly humor and a lot about relations between people, even gay people.

Its a movie to watch if you want to learn some things (if needed).

One bright & shining moment......

Author: vrudd from Columbus, GA
23 August 2001

....... came out of that whole 2 hour tortured hunt for a gun. The moment when Roberts asks Pitt (not in so many words), "When do you get to the point when enough is enough," and Pitt answers, "Never." That made the whole movie worth watching for me, because it sums up my own personal attitude about life in general. But then again, you could get that line just by talking with me -- and I'm a hell of a lot more interesting than this movie......

In this mess, Gandolfini shines

Author: Gary M. James from United States
23 August 2001

When I checked the end credits to "The Mexican" I noticed that one of the producers was Lawrence Binder, who produced "Pulp Fiction". I wondered if writer J.H. Wyman and director Gore Verbinski was trying to create a variation or a companion piece to "Pulp" because if they were, I thought they didn't do a very good job.

I don't think it would've mattered at all if Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt were together in the entire flick. I thought both characters (especially Brad's) were annoying.

James Gandolfini just about stole the movie away from Roberts and Pitt as a hitman who kidnaps Roberts. The only screen chemistry that developed was between Roberts and Gandolfini. Just imagine Gandofini as Tony Soprano but playing the Rupert Everett character in "My Best Friend's Wedding". That's essentially what his character is like: a mix of danger and gentleness. His character has depth. Unlike the film which is a mess.

So, so

Author: AS-69 from Germany
22 August 2001

I must admit that I felt entertained by the movie, though after 90 or 100 minutes I started to feel slightly bored. Thinking a little about it, I must say that it is rather a bad than a good movie.

The movie apparantly tries to revive the style of the early Tarantino movies, but it is much weaker.

There are simply no intriguing plot twists, Jerry is just running after the gun until at some point you don't care anymore how the movie will end. How hard you try, you won't find out why all these people were after the gun, especially since most of them were working for Margoles. Most of the characters are pale and undistinguished. Only the Leroy-Winston character and his relation with Samantha was sufficiently absurd and of some interest, though also not highly original.

Probably the makers ripped off quite a lot of their jokes from other movies. Even the old Warner Looney Tunes were used, namely, Jerry waits at the apparantly empty crossing in the desert and when he finally decides to cross he is almost hit by a (skeleton of a) truck.

In the good old times, the truck would have run over him.