IMDb > The Mexican (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Mexican

The Mexican More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 35: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Don't waste your time...

Author: ZR RIFLE
3 December 2001

2 words describe this movie -- El Stinko. The director's (Verbinski's) vision and direction of this movie is so unto himself, that he doesn't take into consideration that hardly anyone else will catch on to his goofball perspective (or want to), and lose interest after a short time -- and that's not good....

Bad idea

Author: pdjudd from Minnesota, USA
30 November 2001

The plot line of The Mexican can be summed up in one line: stupid. I truly believe that the only reason they made this movie is one big excuse to have two big Hollywood players: Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt star in a movie where the success of that movie was based on their names alone. The problem is that that they ignored the primary rule of film making: don't make a movie around actors. The result is a film in which the characters do not even remotely act naturally. The plot is horrible and the stars cannot even work with the plot themselves. They do not have on screen charisma and it proves that if you want believable characters, the actors have to fit them, not the other way around. The result is a movie that makes no sense, is not realistic, and is based purely on the actor's names alone. Perhaps the worst thing is that the movie makers had to have known this. Horrible

A little too long...

Author: melissa3 from America
27 November 2001

I was dragged into seeing this movie (on video, no less), but I guess in the end I was glad to have seen it. It was a tad on the LONG side though... Not that I can't sit through 3-hour movies, but looking back at it, The Mexican had so many superfluous plots running through it. For instance, the whole Julia Roberts plotline could have been cut out and had no effect on the goings-on of the rest of the story. I take that to mean that she was added to attract an audience, and not for the benefit of the story. The only time she really played a necessary part was at the end, when... well, I won't spoil it, but, well, it's not like spoiling it would cause so great a damage. Anyway, it was a "enjoyable" and "interesting" movie, but notice how I avoid calling it "great" and a "masterpiece"... I usually expect more from Brad Pitt since he seems to have good sense about what movies he does. I guess everyone can make mistakes...

rubbish

Author: Lee (freeholidays) from naas ireland
27 November 2001

the Mexican has to be the worst film I've seen in quite a while. It's 2 stars put in really poor performances especially Julia Roberts who proves once again that she has the power to ruin any film she appears in. Her scenes with James GandWhatever put me to sleep especially where they had these deep conversations about sexuality or whatever they were talking about because I was looking at the marks on the wall at the time.

Brad Pitt gets stuck somewhere in Mexico looking for a legendary gun. He manages to keep finding & losing it throughout the film & hears some really rubbishy stories about the origin of the gun which got worse as they went along.

The Mexican really should be avoided not only cause it has Julia Roberts but also it has no good points except 117 bad points divided up into minutes.

Looked good on Paper.....

Author: Teneskimos from ?
27 November 2001

I bet that's what everyone thought(the cast) when they read the script. I'll give my opinon why this film didn't do so well.1) I think this film was meant to be a independent movie, not a film with a big budget and alot of big names.2) hype always kills a movie before it comes out saying that you have the 2 biggest stars in hollywood starring in it and this is going to be great but quirky film(which it was neither).3) I like Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts but they had no chemistry. I dont know if it was me but it seemed like that they try to out act each other. I hope they pick their films better next time, since they have the luxury of doing that.

Surprisingly cute and raw

Author: jaxonian from Midwest USA
11 November 2001

I just purchased this movie in an effort to stock up on action/adventure. The Mexican definitely fits into that definition! Brad Pitt as Jerry is finally trying to do the right thing here-he meets all the requirements given him. But "Fate" has something else in store for him. His girlfriend dumps him as Jerry is leaving the country for "a job", but is still kidnapped and considered a negotiating piece. The romance is almost nonexistent, but that's okay, because romance and bullets don't mix. I think they could have shaved off most of Julia Roberts' performance and the story would still have been more than taken care of. She was NOT believable nor sympathetic and I felt more for her kidnapper than for her. Brad Pitt, however, was great as the desperate mob peon trying to do his work. You could feel his anxiety and disappointment with each obstacle. You could sympathize with his blunders. So what if he's good looking?! He still can act and he does it well. James Gandolfini also presents a good case and it's too bad he kidnapped Roberts. If he had played opposite Pitt, I think the movie would have moved a lot quicker and less painfully. But overall, the story was surprisingly cute and raw and you can appreciate the cultural confusion between rural Mexicans and Ugly Americans.

A movie with something to say.

Author: Andy from London
6 November 2001

I've read several unfavourable reviews of this film and they almost convinced me not to watch it. They were wrong. You might not get this film. Even if you do you might not like it. Watch it anyway.

The story centres around a guy who, by misfortune, works for organised crime. His last job for them is to collect an antique gun from a guy in a bar in Mexico. His girlfriend, none too pleased with his trip to Mexico, dumps him before he leaves. What follows is a mixture of comedy, caper movie and a vicious satire on relationship therapy culture.

Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts are excellent in their roles, particularly Pitt, who manages to give his character no cool or clue. James Gandolfini steals the show as a sensitive hitman who doesn't want to be "defined" by what he does.

While parts of the film are hilarious there are dark moments in there too. While The Mexican isn't quite as good as say "American Beauty", it is pitched at the same level, treading the lines between straight comedy, satire and meaning-of-life navel contemplation.

Well worth watching.

Brad Pitt CAN do comedy

Author: helengorham (helengorham@home.com)
28 October 2001

Funny, I laughed a lot. Mostly because of its reality. Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts were so funny, no glamour just real people. I just enjoyed it. No it is not rocket science as far as films go but it was just entertaining. The chemistry is there and I could not help but really like Jerry. He was plain cute.

celluloid catastrophe

Author: hkeval from Basel
2 October 2001

The dish: The Mexican The recipe: Take two Hollywood A-list stars, one female, one male. Make sure they are both beautiful and handsome. Add a hint of desperation to give them a lacklustre appearance and ask them to pretend they have an on screen chemistry, to be acted out and manifested over the backdrop of a minor theft / smuggling operation, which goes wrong. Oh, and by the way, just to make things more interesting, at regular intervals, narrate to the audience an age-old love story which should give the audience a background to the plot. Mix well, ensuring there is not even a hint of consistency, continuity nor resulting sympathy for or empathy with any of the characters.

The result: A complete and utter celluloid catastrophe. No, that's overrating this film. In fact, calling it a film is actually overrating it. It's more a collection of scenes from a slapstick Hollywood pilot movie, which should never have seen the light of day.

I happen to believe that Mr. Pitt has a remarkable talent for acting, having demonstrated these abilities in such diverse vehicles as `Fight Club', `Seven' and `Twelve Monkeys'. We all make mistakes, and I think it's probably high time he made one. And made one he has. There is NO redeeming feature to this cinematic hotchpotch of crude comedy sketches, and pseudo-psychological relationship-counselling babble. There is even an attempt to introduce a character who displays sexual preferences which apparently are written into the script to contrast completely with his professional nature. Great potential. Bad, bad implementation. It just doesn't work. No amount of close-ups of Julia Roberts' tearful face, or Brad Pitt's blue eyes and blonde hair (ever so carefully rugged-ised at every opportunity) will a complete movie make. Admittedly, Pitt does do the whole `bumbling fool in a dangerous situation' thing quite well, but it's just not enough. I was irritated with Robert's character almost through out the entire experience, with her constant, unbelievable, badgering of Pitt's character to give up his criminal ways. On the few occasions when there was a real opportunity for the film to leap into something resembling drama, it was unable to pull it off. I felt nothing for any of the characters, and had they all perished (which I'm not saying they didn't), I simply would have shifted my weight to the other cheek in order to rest my weary head on the jacket I had rolled up to get some shut-eye. Add to this cacophony of let downs a pitifully predictable ending, and I think, great ingredients or not, what we have is a dog's dinner.

Entertaining to watch, but dumb

Author: snake9 from Pa
24 September 2001

This is just a dumb movie that I enjoyed when I watched it. But as soon as it ended, I feel like I completely forgot about it. I'd call it a dumb date movie that will entertain for the hour and a half or 2 hours that's it is on, but it is quite unrealistic and silly. Leave your brain behind.