Fantastic Movie!!!

Author: Cyndie from USA
6 December 2001

I have always been an Andy Garcia Fan. The first thing I remember seeing him in was in the 1980's. I think he is a truly GREAT actor. He demonstrates a sensitivity and compassion that I have never seen duplicated by another actor.

In this movie, about his beloved Cuba, his performance is without equal. He becomes Arturo. You are there with him and his family, you begin to understand the suffering and pain the revolution brought down upon the Cuban people. It will make you love Cuba, and the Cuban people, even as you hate the regime that destroyed their way of life. In my opinion, this is a MUST see movie. I gave it a 10/10.

Great story Great movie Great music

Author: (ramseyinusa@hotmail.com)
20 November 2001

I saw this movie on HBO 3 times. It was very entertaining yet also very sad, showing many of us how an oppressive regime under a dictator can tear families apart, ban artistic creativity and force a man to flee his country. The team at HBO certainly scored a 10 with this one. I was able to sit down with my children and share a very poignent experince about the human condition and the importance of freedom and democracy. All of the cast were marvelous, and what more can you say about Andy Garcia this actor is truly gifted and outstanding, Ive seen Arturo Sandoval play and Andy captured his every nuance of musical genius, plus he showed us the artists soul and his heartbreaking choice of For Love of Country. Well done HBO and Andy Garcia, give us more of this type of compelling film making

A man of Courage

Author: leftyguns2 from Woodbridge Twp NJ
10 March 2005

As a Cuban-American the Arturo Sandoval story as portrayed in this film was truly a moving experience.

This film " For Love or Country" is the life-story of Arturo Sandoval he's a Cuban trumpet player who loves his country but questions the repressive communist dictatorship. because of the fact that he is a great trumpeter he's allowed some privileges, and it's through these perks that he meets the great jazz musician Dizzy Gillespie. He and Gillespie form a bond that is apparent through the film. Their friendship also make for much needed comic relief , something essential when dealing with such subject matter. Gillespie's antics a truly unique., and It is through this friendship that the wheels are set in motion for Sandoval's defection.

Sandoval knows that his wife and child would immediately be targeted by the communist authorities in Cuba, should he follow through with his defection. He's a brave man who faced with a serious decision, takes courageous steps ., and with the help of Gillespie , arranges to defect. Problem is that will his family be able to join him in exile. That is the main plot of the film . How can he escape Cuba, and have his family join him.

This is one of Andy Garcia' so best acting roles. He conveys to the world the ugly reality of the Cuban experience in our search for freedom.

This film truly is among the best I've seen.

Great artist, great music

Author: Dragonshadow0 from UK
31 October 2002

Arturo Sandoval is one of the greatest jazz trumpeters ever, standing alongside the likes of Miles Davis, Louis Armstronmg and Arturo's great friend Dizzie Gillespie. This biopic tells of his struggles with the repressive government of his native Cuba, the internal politics of his family and of course his need to play great music.

Well acted, although there are no standard movie tricks and plot twists, just straight depiction of the people of Cuba of the time (early 80s) and the paranoia of the USA with anything Cuban.

The really outstanding aspect of the movie is the souindtrack - Arturo himself plays many of the songs, and is credited with scoring and producing many of the tracks used, as well as playing on them.

Watch the movie, buy the soundtrack CD.

for love or country

Author: nbhatti3000 from Pakistan
10 October 2006

Our fasting is going I watch movie after praying today when I switched on the TV I saw title of movie the name of movie was FOR LOVE OR COUNTRY. FOR LOVE OR COUNTRY is based on the true story of Arturo Sandoval who finally cooperates with the Cuban government and even joins the communist party in order to have the freedom to travel internationally. He was living in a country where there was no respect for human rights, let alone freedom of expression in music.

It was very entertaining and emotional movie which kept me sit strongly on the seat I couldn't move until the end of this movie. In the movie it showed an oppressive regime under a dictator can tear families apart and ban the right of human being and ban artistic creativity and force a man to flee his country, a very poignant experience about the human condition and the importance of freedom and democracy. All cast were marvelous, and what more can you say about Andy Garcia this actor is truly gifted and outstanding, Arturo Sandoval plays and Andy captures his every nuance of musical genius, plus he showed us the artists soul and his heartbreaking choice of For Love of Country. Marianela represents family loyalty and the way people who live in Cuba really think. It shows how Marianela goes from being completely loyal to a dictator to having her eyes opened to the reality of the situation. She falls completely in love with this talented musician but fears he may leave her like her first husband. Arturo has also been married before and while he is willing to spend his entire life with Marianela, she has her doubts and issues with trust. She has been betrayed by the government she supported.

-Marianela she is very beautiful actress she performed great her character.

This movie is at times so romantic. Especially the scene where Marianela and Arturo are dancing and when she wakes him up after he spends the night sleeping on a grave. The scene overlooking the ocean is so pristine.

After performing with the Cuban Orchestra of Modern Music, he was allowed to start a group called Irakere that promoted a combination of Cuban music and jazz. In 1981 he then leaves Irakere to form his own band Nasir Bhatti From Pakistan City Karachi nbhatti3000@yahoo.com nbhatti3000@hotmail.com

Beautifully produced story of love, music and passion

Author: (khsigrist@hotmail.com) from Columbus, OH, USA
23 April 2001

This artistic drama unfolds a touching love story presented against a colorful visual backdrop set to vibrant music, featuring strong acting. Andy Garcia soulfully portrays the main character, Cuban jazz trumpet player Arturo Sandoval, and is executive producer as well. Garcia's (and Sandoval's) love for Cuba and passion for music (jazz) are evident throughout the story, which is predictible and told in flashbacks. The viewer senses the growing frustration of Sandoval at the conflict created by his need to freely express his love (music) which is increasingly blocked by the repressive political regime, without losing his wife and son. Sadly, he concludes that he must defect from Cuba. Mia Maestro beautifully and tenderly plays Mrs. Sandoval, whose emotional journey eventually leads her to realize she must follow her husband (and her heart) by agreeing to leave Cuba with him. Charles Dutton plays Dizzy Gillespie; Gloria Estefan also appears. The story is poignantly told, made more so because it is a biography (Sandoval was an advisor).

Great story, great acting, great presentation

Author: Bill Campbell from Williamsburg, VA
18 November 2000

HBO certainly knows how to produce movies. This movie makes you laugh and cry at the same time. It is a sad story and a happy one at the same time. It is the story of the defection of Arturo Sandoval, his wife and son, to the United States from Cuba. The acting is superb. Charles Dutton IS Dizzy Gillespie, Mia Maestro is just gorgeous, Andy Garcia is a powerhouse actor, and the supporting cast are all very good. Since I have had the opportunity to hear Arturo Sandoval play in person, this movie was special to me, but it will be a very entertaining, enlightening 2 hours for anyone who sees it.

Enthralling!

Author: John M. Oyerbides from Virginia, USA
27 September 2001

I kind of just came accross it on HBO while channel surfing. I ended up not being able to leave my seat. I actually debated - go to the bathroom and miss a few minutes of the movie or hold it. Guess what, I held. Great acting, an emotional portrayal.

Great film that is overlooked

Author: Josh Grossnicklaus from United States
27 February 2005

Arturo Sandoval is one of the most phenomenal trumpet players the world has in existence today. The story of his love, his passion, and his music are all colorfully depicted in the film. As a musician and jazz connoisseur myself, I feel that Garcia's portrayal of the anguish Sandoval experienced under Castro's regime is excellent. As he reveals his motives for defection to the American ambassador, there is a sense of unspoken understanding as to the reasons that Sandoval decides to defect.

If you walk away from this movie without any emotion, you just didn't get it. Go out and listen to as much jazz as possible!

A Good Story of a Great Artist

Author: Gary Murphy (glm@hilbertinc.com) from Olathe, KS, USA
19 November 2000

This is the true story of Arturo Sandoval, the fabulous jazz trumpet player, who defected to the United States to enjoy artistic freedom. It is a wonderful plot. I didn't sense any gross "artistic freedom" in the story. It seemed to ring true all the way through.

The plot is not complex and the direction is straightforward. It doesn't take a lot to keep up with the story, but it is a good way to pass the time. The soundtrack, played by Arturo Sandoval, is what makes this movie special.