IMDb > "The Fairly OddParents" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Fairly OddParents"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Fairly OddParents" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

The Emotion Behind the Humour

Author: critic-puncher from Canada
24 March 2005

I'm not really a TV addict. There haven't been many shows of which I have my full devotion to. But there's something special about Fairly OddParents. Something that touches the heart as well as the funny bone. Something that makes me interested in watching it every day I can. For one thing, it is absolutely hilarious. However, there is more to it than just humor. It is also well connected to the life of kids and has many truly heartfelt moments. The Fairly OddParents may seem like just another stupid show on television, but it is that and much more.

A good number of us know that is a great cartoon. It is crazy and wacky; with the characters all acting larger than life and magnifying to the nth degree certain character traits. In addition, it parodies many real-world people, places, and things, turning popular culture upside-down. There are jokes that appeal to all age groups, with the adult jokes carefully woven into the episodes so as to not disturb kids too much. Plus, with varied settings, genres, and plot lines, it comes with a fresh laugh in almost every episode. The many wishes Timmy makes with his fairy godparents gets them into a variety of hilarious situations. This is the kind of show that can keep you laughing with each new episode.

The show is hilarious, but what makes it really fabulous lies in its powerful symbolism. Timmy Turner is not just a reflection of an average kid; he IS an average kid (did you pay attention to the theme song?). Timmy goes through life experiencing the same emotions real kids do, such as torture at school, being misunderstood by parents, being teased by more popular kids, torture by a certain person, and the list goes on and on. The big thing is that Fairly OddParents doesn't antagonize kids for their choices or attitudes like teens and adults in real life do. The show accepts kids for who they are, although it shows consequences of bad choices as well as good choices, which are made readily available to Timmy with his fairy godparents. For example, when Timmy decides to destroy Vicky's house in "Timmy's 2-D House of Horror," the decision leads to Vicky (His archenemy and evil babysitter) staying with her family with Timmy's family, which leads to a nightmare for Timmy. This show gives kids someone to relate to and something to confide in, as well as influencing them to make good choices in life.

Behind the humor, this show has something that most cartoons lack, heart. There is a wealth of morals and messages with scenes that find their way to the heart. Aside from the obvious message about making good choices in life, there are others, such as the value of family and friends. This is evident in many episodes, such as "Odd Jobs," where Timmy tries to help his dad to get a better job, but only when he was about to lose him for about 60 years did he realize that his best job was being his dad. Also, in "A Wish Too Far," Timmy tries to become popular so that he could be able to be with a popular girl, Trixie, but when he becomes so snobbish to his friends and godparents that he was about to lose them, he realized that popularity wasn't important, his friends were. Another important message is in "The Boy Who Would Be Queen," where Timmy decides to wish that he was a girl in order to learn what Trixie liked, and as a result, learned that it was okay to be yourself. The scenes when Timmy learns lessons of life can be quite touching. This show can transmit values to many kids without using overly simplistic plots and it can also amuse them at the same time. This is what makes it a superior show.

With its fusion of humor and heart elements in such a way that has never been equaled by any other show on television, it's easy to understand why Fairly OddParents is the second most popular show on TV and why I believe that it is the absolute best show on TV. It has a wealth of jokes and emotion that can appeal to people of all ages. I'm not just casually saying this like other people who say something is the best show ever but just mean that its really good at the moment. I genuinely mean it with all my heart. I don't do this often, but I express my great appreciation to Butch Hartman and all of the staff for creating this wonderful show. No matter how many other "good" shows such as Spongebob Squarepants or The Simpsons get more attention on the media, Fairly OddParents will always be the best show to me and other kids, and that is what really counts.

I saw this show when it first aired and I didn't like it; I saw it again recently, and sorry my opinion hasn't changed

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
8 October 2009

There are some redeeming qualities to this show. One is that the theme tune does have a decent melody. The show does have a nice premise. Also, I am probably in the minority, but I like Wanda. I like the fact she is caring, and is more a mother figure to Timmy. However, despite all this, I do not like this show, it isn't excrement but I do find it very annoying.

I wouldn't say that it is the best animated show on Planet Earth. When I use that term for an animated TV show, I think of Peter Pan and the Pirates, I think of Darkwing Duck, I think of Scooby Doo and I think of Talespin. And I hope I am not the only one who really likes the Wild Thornberrys and resent the fact it gets poked fun at. Nor do I think Fairly Odd Parents is the worst animated show on Planet Earth. I accept it's annoying, and in some ways overrated, but it isn't the worst show on Nickolodean. That is Chalk Zone, god that show is unwatchable. But the worst animated show I've ever seen is Shaggy and Scooby Doo:Get a Clue, which is crudely animated, unfunny and frankly a disgrace.

One thing I don't like about this show is the animation. The characters, forgive me if I offend, have very weird facial features, and a lot of the backgrounds are dull and lack the colour that make Spongebob Squarepants and Wild Thornberrys so nice to look at. The characters with the exception of Wanda I find very annoying. I can't believe such a talented voice actress like Tara Strong(aka. Charendoff) voiced Timmy. Timmy I don't find very likable as a lead character at all, he is annoying and sometimes patronising, and he is a poor decision maker as well. And his voice gets on my nerves. I actually like Strong but not in this show. Another annoying character is Cosmo, the supposedly funny character. Instead, his jokes are as unfunny as they could become. They are either a) contrived, or b) over familiar. Timmy's parents are awful characters, who don't give a toss about their son, and their personalities wear well thin.

The story lines are very unoriginal on the most part, and I keep thinking, where have I seen this before. The episodes after the arrival of the baby I thought were unwatchable. Even worse is the scripts, very unfunny, childish, witless and suffer from a complete lack of energy.

All in all, not the worst show ever, but pretty poor for an animation fan, and fairly uncomfortable to sit through. 3/10- there are redeeming qualities, and I completely understand if people like it. Bethany Cox

Worst show ever made..

Author: Yamcha67 from Canada
15 October 2012

This show is such garbage, It's beyond me how anyone likes it.. Everything is always over the top, every 30 seconds the characters are either yelling or excited, there hasn't been a single moment that I've laughed while watching this.. The only reason I've watched the series is because my sisters love this show, but I cannot stand it..

And It's very repetitive, because ultimately what happens in the show is Timmy makes wishes, and things end up going wrong, and when he wants everything to go back to normal the fairy's can't do it because It breaks the rules, so he has to come up with a well thought out plan to eventually undue the wishes without breaking those rules.. This is what happens in pretty much every episode..

And no I never intentionally watch this show, but can't do much when sisters want to watch it, so I was often stuck watching this show when I was in elementary & high school..

There are other amazing shows from Nick such as Rocko's Modern Life, Spongebob, Hey Arnold, Rugrats etc..

My comments on The Fairly OddParents

Author: hamizanritz ( from Malaysia
20 May 2006

This show is the best. A very hilarious, funny and sometimes even touching piece of animation. The jokes are good, the animation is nice and the voice acting is spectacular. If I am given between watching the world cup or the world series, I would choose to watch this show. I would watch the show forever if I could. But what can I do, I heard that this show is going to be cancelled next month. People complain that this show doesn't have the "fairly oddparent-ness" anymore. But what do I care, Timmy is still Timmy and Cosmo is still Cosmo. One of my favorite parts in this show are.....umm, well I don't have any, everything is my favorite. Although the drawings and the voices have changed through time, they are still who they are. If you would rate me on how much I like this show from 1 to 10, I would give it an 11. But there is 1 thing I don't get about this show. How come they never made an episode on how did Cosmo and Wanda met? All we know that they met in high school and Wanda chose Cosmo because he was funny, anything else? 1 of my favorite things that I like about this show is the music. It's mostly jazz but there are also rock, rap, pop and a little anything else. Two of my favorite songs in this show are "If I Lived In TV" and "Find Your Voice". I also like the animation because it is simple and OK. The production team I also call the best. The writers, directors and voice actors have done a very good job making the show what it is today. Butch, if you're reading this, give everyone you have worked with a pat on the back. They all deserve it. Before I wrap this up, I would like to say that the pilot episodes and season 6 haven't reach my region yet. Have a nice day.

Ohhhh the pain!

Author: Ron Mexico from United States
10 February 2008

I cannot stand this show! Has there ever been even one redeeming quality, one funny punchline, or one plot line that "didn't" make the average viewer want to drown himself in a bowl of soggy cornflakes?

The voices. Oh, those horrible, wretched voices. Akin to repeatedly dragging a set of fine cutlery across a dusty blackboard, each character is uniquely annoying in his or her aptitude for shrill, nasal vocals. Cosmo sounds like a whining mongrel, Vicky sounds like a stereotypical shrew, and Timmy's dad makes every line sound like a bad impersonation of a game show host (Guy Smiley from "Sesame Street" comes to mind).

The animation is awful; even the producers of "Yu-Gi-Oh!" laugh at the overwhelmingly bad artwork on this show. Every character has buck teeth, or a square head, or a head three sizes too big for his or her body. And what's with having the characters speak every single line wide-eyed and grinning, as though posing for a photo op with the president? Then, there is the fact that every character on the show is completely moronic. Not since the subtle grace of Amelia Bedelia, Homer Simpson, and Buddy Lembeck of "Charles in Charge" fame have characters been portrayed as so unrealistically dumb. Usually "unrealistic" is synonymous with "unfunny", and that is most definitely the case here. There hasn't been this much slapstick based on cluelessness since "The Naked Gun 33 1/3"...and at least Leslie Nielson was good at it.

Finally, the premise of the show (and it's the same every single episode, so big time spoiler alert here): Timmy wishes for something with his two "Fairly Oddparents", something goes wrong, there's always some contrived reason why he can't immediately reverse course and wish away the damage, and then everything turns out just fine in the end. Oh, and on a side note, Timmy's parents never believe him when he complains about Vicky, and they continue to employ her at every opportunity. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that a kids' show containing the subtle message that it pretty much does no good whatsoever to tell on an abusive babysitter probably isn't a great idea.

If you're writing a paper and want to cite an example of just how far the quality of cartoons has fallen, "The Fairly Odd Parents" has to be a great place to start. A prime example of television producers throwing together a worthless product aimed at kids with little or no effort simply because they know that someone somewhere will watch it.

Nickelodeon Finally Does Something Good

Author: nottyk from London, England
30 September 2003

This show has to be one of the the most ridiculously hilarious shows on tv. It serves a great purpose as something to stimulate the innerchild. It has a countless amount of great humor that I can appreciate, as well as my 12 and 4 year old cousins. While they may not understand a ghostbusters joke thrown in, I do and I recognize that this show is for everyone. Another good show, but not a funny is Dexter's Laboratory.

Author: kathylynnonline from Fairbanks AK
28 September 2003

Anyone who has seen more than one episode of the Fairly OddParents knows that in-jokes are the thing! The more you watch, the more you get, and the funnier the funny! A lot of the jokes are aimed at the 25+ crowd, a lot of 80s references and such. Cosmo and Wanda are the perfect odd couple, let alone odd parents--Cosmo is slightly smarter than mud and Wanda is the perfect straight-man.

An understory of Timmy's latch-key kid status and supervision by a sadistic baby sitter, though shown humorously, speak truly to most of the kids who watch--parents are usually gone, how much more fun it would be if I had God Parents!

All in all I recommend this show to anyone with a sense of humor!

Utter Garbage!

Author: Jack Yates from United Kingdom
23 November 2013

I believe that I have just witnessed the most awful mindless piece of tripe ever to disgrace modern era television. Each episode of this show I have seen consists of mindless rushed jokes that were old and way out dated long before the show ever first aired. Not only that but the animation and voice acting is tired and lazy despite containing some decent actors. Beyond this it will bring nothing to anyone, surprises me that this show has earned a 7! It is boring, unfunny, not entertaining and I know I keep saying this but MINDLESS it is dumb and not clever in the slightest! I urge you desperately to keep your selves and your kids away from this god awful mess that sums up kids television of the 200s in a nutshell. Pure utter rubbish! I would have given it a 0 but 1 is the lowest!

Pretty good at first, then it started to fall a little, and after Poof was born, the show completely died.

Author: Cartoon King from U.S.A.
25 September 2011

"The Fairly OddParents" is the first animated TV show created by former writer and director on "Johnny Bravo" and "Dexter's Laboratory", Butch Hartman. It is also the 16th of Nickelodeon's Nicktoons, and the first spin-off of Nicktoon anthology series "Oh Yeah! Cartoons".

The series follows miserable 10-year-old boy Timmy Turner, whose life gets turned around when he gets his Fairy GodParents, Cosmo and Wanda. Cosmo and Wanda grant Timmy's wishes, as long as the don't interfere with the fairy rule book "Da Rules". Together they deal with Timmy's moronic parents, his evil babysitter Vicky, bully Francis, and paranoid teacher Denzel Crocker (voiced by Carlos Alazraqui).

When this show premiered in 2001 right before "Invader ZIM", it was funny and entertaining in a kind of goofy way. It wasn't as good as some other Nicktoons, like "Doug"; "Rocko's Modern Life"; "The Ren & Stimpy Show"; "SpongeBob SquarePants"; or "Hey Arnold!", but it was funny. Sure it had flaws. For instance, Timmy's voice was kind of annoying, despite being voiced by a talented voice actress (Tara Strong); the animation was very bland and boring; while in some ways the show was clever and original, it was also unoriginal and stupid at some points; also, Timmy was kind of a confusing character. Sometimes you felt sorry for him because of how miserable his life was, but other times he acted so annoying and selfish that you begin to think he deserves what he gets; and lastly some of the dialog and humor was kind of childish, But still, "The Fairly OddParents" was an enjoyable show. The plots were decent and some jokes were pretty funny. However it started to slip a little around 2004 or 2005. It became a whole lot more childish and juvenile, and more poorly written and unoriginal. Finally, in 2006 it was announced that "The Fairly OddParents" had been canceled, which was kind of a good thing, considering how bad it became.

But in 2008 Nickelodeon aired a made-for-TV "Fairly OddParents" movie called "Fairly OddBaby", where (for some strange reason) Cosmo gets pregnant and gives birth to Timmy's new GodBrother, Poof. The TV movie sucked, and the episodes that came afterwards did too.

Also, earlier this year a down-right awful live-action "Fairly OddParents" TV movie titled "A Fairly OddMovie: Grow up, Timmy Turner!" aired. Everyone thought it was gonna be the end, but sadly, the dying carcass of "The Fairly OddParents" is still dragging on. And it shows no sign of stopping.

2001-2004: 7/10

2004-2006: 4/10

2008-present: 1/10

It went from being good, to below-average, to what it is now: completely horrible. Since this show has more bad episodes than good ones overall, and still some big flaws in the good episodes, I can't give it a particularly high rating.

Rating: 5/10 "Average"

Hmmm... Let's See... Where shall I begin...?

Author: anthony-rigoni from United States
2 January 2012

I'll start with the characters. Timmy Turner is a Grade-A brat. Instead of wishing that others(Such as his parents) would treat him with respect, he uses his fairy godparents to wish outlandish wishes and when he feels bad for them, they still treat him like crap. The show should have been renamed "Everybody Hates Timmy". Wanda nags and nags and nags and nags and actually admits on being a stereotypical nagging wife. Cosmo is so stupid he can't even multiply 2 by 2. Vicky is more like a child abuser than a baby sitter and Timmy's parents are no better. Seriously, Timmy's parents are such dummies. In fact, I'm guessing they're regretting having a kid of their own. Every character in this piece of crap shouts and screams constantly while they're talking and it annoys me very much! How can you not find that annoying?! I guess with all that shouting and screaming, this is suppose to be a cartoon where all the characters have Tourett Syndrome. Now, I'll move on with the animation. The animation is so tacky and stupid, it makes Looney Tunes Back in Action look like Who Framed Roger Rabbit. And what's with all the eyes moving this way and that way and the way they move around while they're talking? It looks like they're posing for the Oscars or for a Hollywood movie. And here's the part with the character design. Over-sized heads, square heads, cheesy artwork, gigantic feet, etc. The character design is never appealing, it makes Sheep in the Big City look like Eiichiro Oda's One Piece. Now, I'll finish with the jokes. The fart jokes, the puke jokes, and the burp jokes are all babyish and laughable. There's also the overdose of running gags(mostly started by Cosmo, the god-awful cartoon character of them all). Every time one person starts a gag(Here are a few examples, a scientist spits out coffee in reaction to a meteorite heading for Dimmsdale and flings his arms wildly as if he's drowning 'cause he's unable to scream; The Blubber Nuggets from Farmer Ahab; The Fun Box; Cosmo sucking his thumb like a baby after someone says "Super Toilet"; the list goes on), it goes on and on and on like a freaking Energizer battery or a Fruit by the Foot fruit snack(Cosmo or another person would repeat the same joke until the end of the episode). Thank goodness this horrible cartoon series got canceled because 10 years of dealing with this steaming pile of horse diarrhea is enough... What's that? There's going to be a Fairly Odd Parents Christmas Special?! Pardon me. (Goes outside and screams. Comes back inside) If you want a cartoon that's jammed pack with crappy characters, cheesy animation, babyish jokes, and running gags that were repeatedly used again and again, this might be the one for you. If you want a cartoon that doesn't do anything that I mentioned earlier, you'll find it eventually.

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]