IMDb > "The Fairly OddParents" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Fairly OddParents"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Fairly OddParents" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

A Rare Nick Masterpiece for the Ages

Author: blizshadow1 from Lithonia, Georgia
13 November 2004

I must say, I'm shocked at how much bashing this show tends to get on this site. Personally, I love it! (Sure, a few of the new episodes are kinda...eh) Aside from Spongebob, this show is the pure definition of comedy and one the only one that keeps me, and a lot of other people, tuned in to the Nick channel in the first place.

The basic plot is that Timmy Turner is a lonely, misunderstood ten-year-old boy who must deal with more than any boy his age should handle.... Ever. So out of sympathy, he is given Cosmo and Wanda, two bumbling fairies for personal servitude and company from Fairy World. But even with the two fairies at his side to help him 24/7, he quickly learns life is full of complications that even magic can't fix.

One of the reasons this show does so well is the large cast of characters. Everyone on the show gets a good laugh from me and that's what's important. Timmy's father, for example, is a clumsy, dense man and always undertaking some stupid task to get back at the... Dinklebergs.... Look up the word "evil" in the dictionary and you'll see a mug shot of Vicky, Timmy's babysitter, who cares only about money, the pain of a child, and... well, money.

Another reason of this show's success are the plots themselves. To get through life's challenges, Timmy uses his fairies' magic to the advantage. But, of course, nothing ever works out right. One reason is because of the rules added to the power of magic. After all, without restrictions on what Timmy could do, this show would be over in a snap. Also, each episode constantly throws in joke after joke after joke and, coupled with the quick animation and scene switching, it rarely slows down on its humor.

Now onto the heart of this wonderful show: the fairies. A regular comic pair. Wanda is sensible and smart, totally opposite of the purile idiot known as Cosmo. Their interactions with each other are often rib-cracking, especially since Cosmo is constantly getting on her nerves to no end. Adding to the fact that they are wed can ensure worse punishment for Cosmo in the end. They're always trying to work together as a team (a horribly dysfunctional one) and help Timmy, but you can always be sure Cosmo will add some "fun" along the way.

For real people, I can see nothing wrong with this show. Some of the reasons stated on here for its atrocity are total non-sense, such as the animation is bad or the characters all act dumb. Hello, it's a comedy. The characters act like that for a reason. As for the animation, there is worse, such as some of the things on Cartoon Network. (Dexter's Lab, PPG) It, and other shows like it, is actually a revival and tribute of an old style in the 30s and 40s that relied on an abstract look for uniqueness, so it had few details and the characters looked flat. And besides, so what if there's little detail and such? Is that really important in an animated comedy?

Alright, enough personal ranting for one day. Back to business. This show is absolutely wonderful. Good, quick humor, a huge and colorful cast of characters coupled with the premise of a boy with (nearly) infinite magical powers make this a must-see show for all. If you've barred this show from your schedule of "Must-Watches," at least give it a good chance. You may be extremely happy with the result.

This show is very cute!

Author: Sasshey from Oregon, USA
10 March 2004

My 7 year old son and I watch this program everyday and we both enjoy it very much. It's a cute show and always has a good lesson in it. I have yet to see an episode that wasn't enjoyable. The characters are funny the plots are interesting (for a cartoon) and the animation is well done. We watch The Fairly OddParents and Spongebob Squarepants both. And I think that they are fun with fresh ideas that kids and adults can both watch and enjoy. I like finding good programming like this that I can enjoy with me son. Something that can hold both of our interests. The Fairly OddParents and Spongebob Squarepants are both keepers! Keep up the good work Nickelodeon!!

Another Great Nickelodeon Cartoon!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
28 June 2004

The Fairly Oddparents is another one of my favorite Nickelodeon cartoons along with SpongeBob Squarepants, Ahhh! Real Monsters, The Ren and Stimpy Show, Rocko's Modern Life, Angry Beavers, CatDog and Invader Zim. The show is about a 10-year old boy named Timmy Turner who at first had an average life because his parents work full-time and he is stuck with the evil 16-year old babysitter, Vicky who completely tortures Timmy every time. But that all changed when he got his own fairy godparents named Cosmo and Wanda! Cosmo is my favorite character because is so funny and he isn't that smart and makes a lot of mistakes! The humor in this cartoon is hilarious and it is so clever thanks to creator Butch Hartman. Plus there has been lots of celebrities voice guest starring on the show like Chris Kirkpatrick (one of the guys from Nsync), Rick Fox (NBA Basketball player), Jay Leno (talk-show host) and some others. Another character that I think is funny is Timmy's weird and crazy teacher who wants to find out if fairies exist, Mr. Crocker! Because I think it is hilarious when he says "FAIRY GODPARENTS" and does these wacky stunts. This show is another classic hit and hilarious! This show premiered on Nickelodeon back in March 2001.

User Rating: 9/10

BOTTOM LINE: FAIRLY FUNNY!

One of the best shows on Nick!

Author: mussicmann42 from United States
7 September 2006

OK, the first thing I have to say is that Fairly Oddparents is one of the best shows on Nick, (next to Spongebob) and has hysterically-funny characters. Comso is the best, because whatever he says is stupidly funny. I also think Timmy's dad is funny too. The fact that he and the the mom have no first names is really funny. Too bad this show is getting canceled. They could do so much more with it! Like make a theatrical movie, or something. Some of the new episodes did stink, because I think Fairly Oddparents got a new writer or something, but it is still a fun show to watch! I also think Jimmy Neutron and Spongebob are great show too!

great humorous FairlyOdd Parents show rocks

Author: xtnhkoby from United States
18 July 2006

FairlyOdd Parents is one of the few cartoons i still enjoy watching a lot. Comedy plays a big part in this cartoon and you'll find many little silly random things stitched into the interesting plots of the episodes. each episode has sort of like a few main random jokes or things that get used a couple of times through out the episode. its neat like that.

the cartoon is mainly about a little 10 year old kid named Timmy Turner who had a miserable life including his evil babysitter, Vicky, his crazy cranky teacher, Mr. Crooker, and his uh.. just unfortunate life in general. So Timmy has two fairies that were sent to him. Wanda and Cozmo are a big part of the show and the funny situations and usually disguise as goldfish or turn into anything else(Cozmo and Wanda always stay green and pink and faces). Wanda is the wiser more practical of the two. My favorite is Cozmo because he is usually silly clueless and an idiot. He sometimes makes situations harder.

And as for Timmy, he usually gets made fun of. yea and hes got a pink hat and the buck teeth.

cool toon.

Author: Queen_of_Shadows from Hong Kong
31 July 2005

Fairly Odd Parents has grown to be one of my favorite cartoons.Yes,I'm 14 but no one ever said I was too old for cartoons.

This show is about a 10-year-old kid who wears a silly pink hat named Timmy,an out-going kid with no common sense and a short attention span.He deals with being a loser at school,not being able to spend as much quality time with his parents and his worst enemy and fear of all (duh,duh,duh)Vicky,his evil 16-year-old babysitter.For poor Timmy Turner,he has no control over his life until one day two magical creatures come into his life and explain to Timmy that they're his new fairy godparents who can grant him unlimited wishes.Oh wait,there's a catch,along with his fairy godparents come a rule book known as "Da Rules" which limit him to most wishes.From that day on,Timmy makes bigger wishes which lead to bigger adventures that often lead him into trouble.However,while his fairy godparents have to grant the wishes,they love him like their own child and act as his mentors,well one of them at least.There's Wanda,the smart and bossy pink-haired godparent who often gives Timmy guidance.There's also her husband Cosmo,the dim-witted yet hilarious godparent who unlike his wife,leads Timmy into awesome but often dangerous adventures and while Wanda is the common sense of the trio,he's the comic relief.With just a spin of their wands,Timmy takes another step to great adventures as well as good lessons.

Recently,I don't think most of the new episodes have been doing so well but I absolutely love the classic episodes such as "A Wish Too Far","Boys in Band and many more.Even though I love every character on this show,Timmy is most likely my favorite character because even if he can be selfish,he's sympathetic and considerate of others.He's also your typical 10-year-old who wishes for what any kid would want.What I love about this show is the humor,the eventual spoofs,some running gags,the characters and the fact that everyone on this show is a complete idiot.However,what I love more are the relationships in this show.I love what Timmy has between his parents as well as his fairy godparents.I saw AbraCatrasphe (sp) and I thought it was cute how Timmy said he loved Wanda as much as Cosmo.I also liked how Timmy confessed about his godparents and Wanda and Cosmo wouldn't go because they loved Timmy.So despite most goofs and the recent downhill episodes,I love this show and I want to rate it a 7/10.

This show is NOT stupid

Author: Jake Nelson from Clayton, NC
31 January 2004

All right, all right (hyperventilating) This show is third only to Simpsons and Spongebob. I could not disagree more with whoever wrote that one comment. There is just one episode I really hate, that being "Smarty Pants." Every series has a WEE or Worst Episode Ever.

My comments on The Fairly OddParents

Author: hamizanritz (hamizanritz@yahoo.com) from Malaysia
20 May 2006

This show is the best. A very hilarious, funny and sometimes even touching piece of animation. The jokes are good, the animation is nice and the voice acting is spectacular. If I am given between watching the world cup or the world series, I would choose to watch this show. I would watch the show forever if I could. But what can I do, I heard that this show is going to be cancelled next month. People complain that this show doesn't have the "fairly oddparent-ness" anymore. But what do I care, Timmy is still Timmy and Cosmo is still Cosmo. One of my favorite parts in this show are.....umm, well I don't have any, everything is my favorite. Although the drawings and the voices have changed through time, they are still who they are. If you would rate me on how much I like this show from 1 to 10, I would give it an 11. But there is 1 thing I don't get about this show. How come they never made an episode on how did Cosmo and Wanda met? All we know that they met in high school and Wanda chose Cosmo because he was funny, anything else? 1 of my favorite things that I like about this show is the music. It's mostly jazz but there are also rock, rap, pop and a little anything else. Two of my favorite songs in this show are "If I Lived In TV" and "Find Your Voice". I also like the animation because it is simple and OK. The production team I also call the best. The writers, directors and voice actors have done a very good job making the show what it is today. Butch, if you're reading this, give everyone you have worked with a pat on the back. They all deserve it. Before I wrap this up, I would like to say that the pilot episodes and season 6 haven't reach my region yet. Have a nice day.

It's only been getting worse

Author: jediforce10 from United States
1 June 2013

It's really sad to see what has become of The Fairly Oddparents. The show was once at the top of its game with its great jokes, excellent lineup of characters, and good plots. Nowadays, the FOP is BARELY getting a laugh from me and the few there are in the episodes are so far and few in between that it makes watching the show unbearable and makes you yearn for the old days when this show was at its peak.

Timmy Turner is a miserable 10-year old kid that secretly has two fairy godparents. Together, they all go on crazy adventures of what happens when something you wish for goes out of control. So how did this show go downhill? Well unfortunately, this show has decreased in terms of quality and the characters themselves have become unlikable, along with a few other things.

For one thing, the plots have been getting pretty boring now and some of them are recycled. Like for example, a recent episode was about Timmy wishing to be the smartest student in class. However, that was already done in another episode where Timmy wished to be the smartest person to beat A.J. If the show isn't reusing plot lines from past episodes, it's now focusing on one of the new characters on the show, Poof the fairy baby, and him being taken to school or fighting over a girl with an anti-fairy baby of himself. Needless to say, these plots not only sound bad, but they are bad.

Speaking of characters, almost every one of them are no longer likable. Timmy was the miserable child who wished for stuff to make his life better and was a pretty kind kid. Now he's become a selfish, self-centered jerk who abuses his fairy godparents and acts more like a brat. Cosmo was the dumb one, but he had his smart moments as well and was funny. In the new seasons, he's become dumber and he is now more annoying than funny. Wanda was the voice of reason and tried to be more like a mother figure to Timmy. Now she's been made into a nagging woman who constantly complains about everything and always acts so cynical.

Then there are the two new characters on the show, Poof and Sparky. The addition of these characters are where the show has truly fallen apart. Poof adds nothing to the show since he's only a baby and just looks cute. He's a waste of a character and shouldn't have been made at all. Sparky is just as bad. He's an annoying, irritating magical dog that sounds annoying and tries to be funny, but he uses every tired joke that's been done to death. It's a terrible attempt to save a show that was going downhill and adding them in has only made the show more unwatchable.

Another issue is that this show doesn't follow any kind of continuity at all. For example, when Timmy wants a dog, all the pets he's taken care of, but die are shown except for Eddy, the Gerbil, from the episode, That's Life. Another example is that fairies never get old so they don't need babies, but yet there are plenty of baby fairies seen at the preschool Poof is in. My question is, why even have continuity if it's going to be completely ignored like that? It creates a lot of holes in the episodes.

The jokes are also another thing that's been getting stale and terrible. Many of the jokes are now repeated so many times in an episode that it overstays its welcome very quickly. Not to mention some of them don't even make sense, like when Cosmo described the pound and turning a dog into a British Pound. Very rarely will you find a joke that is funny or clever and I do mean rarely.

Artwork wise, it still looks pretty good and stays true to the original Butch Hartman style and it is colorful and has some nice visuals. The animation is good as well with characters moving smoothly and it's not choppy.

In the end, the Fairly Oddparents is a show that's long since run its course and is only getting worse and worse now. The addition of the new characters not only make the show badder, but they are not interesting at all, the characters are not likable anymore, save for a few of them, the jokes aren't funny anymore, and the plots are either recycled or boring. I just hope Nick realizes this show has run its course and finally give it the ax. Because this show needs to finally be put to rest before it gets even worse than it already is.

fun, strangely addictive cartoon comedy

Author: TheNorthernMonkee from Manchester
1 August 2005

SPOILERS Nickelodeon and Butch Hartman have a good relationship. He creates 'The Fairly OddParents' and they distribute it on their channels. Created in 2001, the cartoon has been one of a small number of decent modern cartoons. Simplistic and fun, the cartoon is remarkably addictive. Whether due to the nature of the stories or the characters, or the brilliant theme tune, the series has thrived and Hartman has proved just how good modern cartoons can be if people try hard.

Timmy Turner (Tara Strong) is an average kid that nobody understands. When he discovers he has been sent Fairy GodParents though, Timmy's life takes a turn upwards. Unable to tell anyone and forever watched by Fairy obsessed teacher Crocker (Carlos Alazraqui), Timmy and his GodParents Wanda and Cosmo (Susan Blakeslee and Daran Norris) have many brilliant adventures as Timmy learns lessons on life, love and being an average child.

Right from the quality opening music, this cartoon is different to most. Daft in a good way and with some cracking jokes, it is always entertaining and often contains a moralistic message which teaches us to accept life as it is. It has been going since 2001, and here's hoping it keeps going for a few more years yet.

Eccentric characters galore, the series never seems to run out of ideas and more often than not, you find yourself laughing along at the obscure events unfolding. A rarity in modern cartoons, which are mostly incredibly weak and infuriating, this humour is something to be enjoyed whilst you can.

'The Fairly OddParents' is a surprisingly entertaining cartoon. Whilst most cartoons nowadays feel unoriginal and tedious, this series is a rare breath of fresh air and well worth making the effort to see. it's still not as good as the classics, but it's the closest we've had in a long time.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]