IMDb > "The Fairly OddParents" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A Rare Nick Masterpiece for the Ages

Author: blizshadow1 from Lithonia, Georgia
13 November 2004

I must say, I'm shocked at how much bashing this show tends to get on this site. Personally, I love it! (Sure, a few of the new episodes are kinda...eh) Aside from Spongebob, this show is the pure definition of comedy and one the only one that keeps me, and a lot of other people, tuned in to the Nick channel in the first place.

The basic plot is that Timmy Turner is a lonely, misunderstood ten-year-old boy who must deal with more than any boy his age should handle.... Ever. So out of sympathy, he is given Cosmo and Wanda, two bumbling fairies for personal servitude and company from Fairy World. But even with the two fairies at his side to help him 24/7, he quickly learns life is full of complications that even magic can't fix.

One of the reasons this show does so well is the large cast of characters. Everyone on the show gets a good laugh from me and that's what's important. Timmy's father, for example, is a clumsy, dense man and always undertaking some stupid task to get back at the... Dinklebergs.... Look up the word "evil" in the dictionary and you'll see a mug shot of Vicky, Timmy's babysitter, who cares only about money, the pain of a child, and... well, money.

Another reason of this show's success are the plots themselves. To get through life's challenges, Timmy uses his fairies' magic to the advantage. But, of course, nothing ever works out right. One reason is because of the rules added to the power of magic. After all, without restrictions on what Timmy could do, this show would be over in a snap. Also, each episode constantly throws in joke after joke after joke and, coupled with the quick animation and scene switching, it rarely slows down on its humor.

Now onto the heart of this wonderful show: the fairies. A regular comic pair. Wanda is sensible and smart, totally opposite of the purile idiot known as Cosmo. Their interactions with each other are often rib-cracking, especially since Cosmo is constantly getting on her nerves to no end. Adding to the fact that they are wed can ensure worse punishment for Cosmo in the end. They're always trying to work together as a team (a horribly dysfunctional one) and help Timmy, but you can always be sure Cosmo will add some "fun" along the way.

For real people, I can see nothing wrong with this show. Some of the reasons stated on here for its atrocity are total non-sense, such as the animation is bad or the characters all act dumb. Hello, it's a comedy. The characters act like that for a reason. As for the animation, there is worse, such as some of the things on Cartoon Network. (Dexter's Lab, PPG) It, and other shows like it, is actually a revival and tribute of an old style in the 30s and 40s that relied on an abstract look for uniqueness, so it had few details and the characters looked flat. And besides, so what if there's little detail and such? Is that really important in an animated comedy?

Alright, enough personal ranting for one day. Back to business. This show is absolutely wonderful. Good, quick humor, a huge and colorful cast of characters coupled with the premise of a boy with (nearly) infinite magical powers make this a must-see show for all. If you've barred this show from your schedule of "Must-Watches," at least give it a good chance. You may be extremely happy with the result.

It's only been getting worse

Author: jediforce10 from United States
1 June 2013

It's really sad to see what has become of The Fairly Oddparents. The show was once at the top of its game with its great jokes, excellent lineup of characters, and good plots. Nowadays, the FOP is BARELY getting a laugh from me and the few there are in the episodes are so far and few in between that it makes watching the show unbearable and makes you yearn for the old days when this show was at its peak.

Timmy Turner is a miserable 10-year old kid that secretly has two fairy godparents. Together, they all go on crazy adventures of what happens when something you wish for goes out of control. So how did this show go downhill? Well unfortunately, this show has decreased in terms of quality and the characters themselves have become unlikable, along with a few other things.

For one thing, the plots have been getting pretty boring now and some of them are recycled. Like for example, a recent episode was about Timmy wishing to be the smartest student in class. However, that was already done in another episode where Timmy wished to be the smartest person to beat A.J. If the show isn't reusing plot lines from past episodes, it's now focusing on one of the new characters on the show, Poof the fairy baby, and him being taken to school or fighting over a girl with an anti-fairy baby of himself. Needless to say, these plots not only sound bad, but they are bad.

Speaking of characters, almost every one of them are no longer likable. Timmy was the miserable child who wished for stuff to make his life better and was a pretty kind kid. Now he's become a selfish, self-centered jerk who abuses his fairy godparents and acts more like a brat. Cosmo was the dumb one, but he had his smart moments as well and was funny. In the new seasons, he's become dumber and he is now more annoying than funny. Wanda was the voice of reason and tried to be more like a mother figure to Timmy. Now she's been made into a nagging woman who constantly complains about everything and always acts so cynical.

Then there are the two new characters on the show, Poof and Sparky. The addition of these characters are where the show has truly fallen apart. Poof adds nothing to the show since he's only a baby and just looks cute. He's a waste of a character and shouldn't have been made at all. Sparky is just as bad. He's an annoying, irritating magical dog that sounds annoying and tries to be funny, but he uses every tired joke that's been done to death. It's a terrible attempt to save a show that was going downhill and adding them in has only made the show more unwatchable.

Another issue is that this show doesn't follow any kind of continuity at all. For example, when Timmy wants a dog, all the pets he's taken care of, but die are shown except for Eddy, the Gerbil, from the episode, That's Life. Another example is that fairies never get old so they don't need babies, but yet there are plenty of baby fairies seen at the preschool Poof is in. My question is, why even have continuity if it's going to be completely ignored like that? It creates a lot of holes in the episodes.

The jokes are also another thing that's been getting stale and terrible. Many of the jokes are now repeated so many times in an episode that it overstays its welcome very quickly. Not to mention some of them don't even make sense, like when Cosmo described the pound and turning a dog into a British Pound. Very rarely will you find a joke that is funny or clever and I do mean rarely.

Artwork wise, it still looks pretty good and stays true to the original Butch Hartman style and it is colorful and has some nice visuals. The animation is good as well with characters moving smoothly and it's not choppy.

In the end, the Fairly Oddparents is a show that's long since run its course and is only getting worse and worse now. The addition of the new characters not only make the show badder, but they are not interesting at all, the characters are not likable anymore, save for a few of them, the jokes aren't funny anymore, and the plots are either recycled or boring. I just hope Nick realizes this show has run its course and finally give it the ax. Because this show needs to finally be put to rest before it gets even worse than it already is.

Why?

Author: Nikolai Henson from United States
20 September 2014

This show used to be good. Used to. This show was once great and entertaining and had likable characters and funny jokes. Now this show just recycles old plots (at least two or three times) and now a days its not worth watching. The characters have been dumbed down and become really unlikable just for the sake of the "plot" if you can even call it that because some of the new episodes don't have plots the idiot characters just act like lazy morons (kinda like the writers) and mess something up that they the proceed to fix in 2 minutes of filler garbage and they never face any consequences for what they did. Butch Hartman should have ended this long ago while it still had some (very little) dignity know its gone on so long people have stopped watching it (and Nick in general) because of how boring and dull it has become. Also the dog and the baby should have NEVER been introduced they somehow managed to make the show worse than what it already was.

This show is very cute!

Author: Sasshey from Oregon, USA
10 March 2004

My 7 year old son and I watch this program everyday and we both enjoy it very much. It's a cute show and always has a good lesson in it. I have yet to see an episode that wasn't enjoyable. The characters are funny the plots are interesting (for a cartoon) and the animation is well done. We watch The Fairly OddParents and Spongebob Squarepants both. And I think that they are fun with fresh ideas that kids and adults can both watch and enjoy. I like finding good programming like this that I can enjoy with me son. Something that can hold both of our interests. The Fairly OddParents and Spongebob Squarepants are both keepers! Keep up the good work Nickelodeon!!

Ohhhh the pain!

Author: Ron Mexico from United States
10 February 2008

I cannot stand this show! Has there ever been even one redeeming quality, one funny punchline, or one plot line that "didn't" make the average viewer want to drown himself in a bowl of soggy cornflakes?

The voices. Oh, those horrible, wretched voices. Akin to repeatedly dragging a set of fine cutlery across a dusty blackboard, each character is uniquely annoying in his or her aptitude for shrill, nasal vocals. Cosmo sounds like a whining mongrel, Vicky sounds like a stereotypical shrew, and Timmy's dad makes every line sound like a bad impersonation of a game show host (Guy Smiley from "Sesame Street" comes to mind).

The animation is awful; even the producers of "Yu-Gi-Oh!" laugh at the overwhelmingly bad artwork on this show. Every character has buck teeth, or a square head, or a head three sizes too big for his or her body. And what's with having the characters speak every single line wide-eyed and grinning, as though posing for a photo op with the president? Then, there is the fact that every character on the show is completely moronic. Not since the subtle grace of Amelia Bedelia, Homer Simpson, and Buddy Lembeck of "Charles in Charge" fame have characters been portrayed as so unrealistically dumb. Usually "unrealistic" is synonymous with "unfunny", and that is most definitely the case here. There hasn't been this much slapstick based on cluelessness since "The Naked Gun 33 1/3"...and at least Leslie Nielson was good at it.

Finally, the premise of the show (and it's the same every single episode, so big time spoiler alert here): Timmy wishes for something with his two "Fairly Oddparents", something goes wrong, there's always some contrived reason why he can't immediately reverse course and wish away the damage, and then everything turns out just fine in the end. Oh, and on a side note, Timmy's parents never believe him when he complains about Vicky, and they continue to employ her at every opportunity. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that a kids' show containing the subtle message that it pretty much does no good whatsoever to tell on an abusive babysitter probably isn't a great idea.

If you're writing a paper and want to cite an example of just how far the quality of cartoons has fallen, "The Fairly Odd Parents" has to be a great place to start. A prime example of television producers throwing together a worthless product aimed at kids with little or no effort simply because they know that someone somewhere will watch it.

Worst show ever made..

Author: Yamcha67 from Canada
15 October 2012

This show is such garbage, It's beyond me how anyone likes it.. Everything is always over the top, every 30 seconds the characters are either yelling or excited, there hasn't been a single moment that I've laughed while watching this.. The only reason I've watched the series is because my sisters love this show, but I cannot stand it..

And It's very repetitive, because ultimately what happens in the show is Timmy makes wishes, and things end up going wrong, and when he wants everything to go back to normal the fairy's can't do it because It breaks the rules, so he has to come up with a well thought out plan to eventually undue the wishes without breaking those rules.. This is what happens in pretty much every episode..

And no I never intentionally watch this show, but can't do much when sisters want to watch it, so I was often stuck watching this show when I was in elementary & high school..

There are other amazing shows from Nick such as Rocko's Modern Life, Spongebob, Hey Arnold, Rugrats etc..

Utter Garbage!

Author: Jack Yates from United Kingdom
23 November 2013

I believe that I have just witnessed the most awful mindless piece of tripe ever to disgrace modern era television. Each episode of this show I have seen consists of mindless rushed jokes that were old and way out dated long before the show ever first aired. Not only that but the animation and voice acting is tired and lazy despite containing some decent actors. Beyond this it will bring nothing to anyone, surprises me that this show has earned a 7! It is boring, unfunny, not entertaining and I know I keep saying this but MINDLESS it is dumb and not clever in the slightest! I urge you desperately to keep your selves and your kids away from this god awful mess that sums up kids television of the 200s in a nutshell. Pure utter rubbish! I would have given it a 0 but 1 is the lowest!

Good show gone bad

Author: lunatroid from united states
12 April 2006

During the first 3 seasons Fairly Odd Parents was as tasty as hard candy, bright and sweet and addictive. Now it's as tasty as Pepto-Bismol. And unfortunately Pepto-Bismol is what you'll need after viewing the more recent episodes, where all the sweetness has been replaced by insults and violence resulting in no laughs. Cosmo, once one of the more endearing Nick characters, has devolved into an abusive unfunny cretin that the cast of Family Guy wouldn't even want to know. Timmy has become a selfish arrogant jerkwad that Bart Simpson would happily beat the snot out of (and given Timmy's snottiness, that would take a lot of beating). And poor Wanda...a real charmer who's become the victim of her husband and godchild, she's now labeled a "nag" for caring about the well-being of others. Plus Cosmo's stupidity causes pain to everyone else but he's never punished for it, nor does he learn any lessons. Which pretty much sums up Butch Hartman's attitude towards kids: they're crude, vulgar and not too bright. Thank god this crummy toon has been cancelled, along with Butch Hartman's darling, Danny Phantom. At least Butch got what he deserved - unlike Cosmo.

Another Great Nickelodeon Cartoon!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
28 June 2004

The Fairly Oddparents is another one of my favorite Nickelodeon cartoons along with SpongeBob Squarepants, Ahhh! Real Monsters, The Ren and Stimpy Show, Rocko's Modern Life, Angry Beavers, CatDog and Invader Zim. The show is about a 10-year old boy named Timmy Turner who at first had an average life because his parents work full-time and he is stuck with the evil 16-year old babysitter, Vicky who completely tortures Timmy every time. But that all changed when he got his own fairy godparents named Cosmo and Wanda! Cosmo is my favorite character because is so funny and he isn't that smart and makes a lot of mistakes! The humor in this cartoon is hilarious and it is so clever thanks to creator Butch Hartman. Plus there has been lots of celebrities voice guest starring on the show like Chris Kirkpatrick (one of the guys from Nsync), Rick Fox (NBA Basketball player), Jay Leno (talk-show host) and some others. Another character that I think is funny is Timmy's weird and crazy teacher who wants to find out if fairies exist, Mr. Crocker! Because I think it is hilarious when he says "FAIRY GODPARENTS" and does these wacky stunts. This show is another classic hit and hilarious! This show premiered on Nickelodeon back in March 2001.

User Rating: 9/10

BOTTOM LINE: FAIRLY FUNNY!

I saw this show when it first aired and I didn't like it; I saw it again recently, and sorry my opinion hasn't changed

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
8 October 2009

There are some redeeming qualities to this show. One is that the theme tune does have a decent melody. The show does have a nice premise. Also, I am probably in the minority, but I like Wanda. I like the fact she is caring, and is more a mother figure to Timmy. However, despite all this, I do not like this show, it isn't excrement but I do find it very annoying.

I wouldn't say that it is the best animated show on Planet Earth. When I use that term for an animated TV show, I think of Peter Pan and the Pirates, I think of Darkwing Duck, I think of Scooby Doo and I think of Talespin. And I hope I am not the only one who really likes the Wild Thornberrys and resent the fact it gets poked fun at. Nor do I think Fairly Odd Parents is the worst animated show on Planet Earth. I accept it's annoying, and in some ways overrated, but it isn't the worst show on Nickolodean. That is Chalk Zone, god that show is unwatchable. But the worst animated show I've ever seen is Shaggy and Scooby Doo:Get a Clue, which is crudely animated, unfunny and frankly a disgrace.

One thing I don't like about this show is the animation. The characters, forgive me if I offend, have very weird facial features, and a lot of the backgrounds are dull and lack the colour that make Spongebob Squarepants and Wild Thornberrys so nice to look at. The characters with the exception of Wanda I find very annoying. I can't believe such a talented voice actress like Tara Strong(aka. Charendoff) voiced Timmy. Timmy I don't find very likable as a lead character at all, he is annoying and sometimes patronising, and he is a poor decision maker as well. And his voice gets on my nerves. I actually like Strong but not in this show. Another annoying character is Cosmo, the supposedly funny character. Instead, his jokes are as unfunny as they could become. They are either a) contrived, or b) over familiar. Timmy's parents are awful characters, who don't give a toss about their son, and their personalities wear well thin.

The story lines are very unoriginal on the most part, and I keep thinking, where have I seen this before. The episodes after the arrival of the baby I thought were unwatchable. Even worse is the scripts, very unfunny, childish, witless and suffer from a complete lack of energy.

All in all, not the worst show ever, but pretty poor for an animation fan, and fairly uncomfortable to sit through. 3/10- there are redeeming qualities, and I completely understand if people like it. Bethany Cox

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]