IMDb > "The Fairly OddParents" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Fairly OddParents"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Fairly OddParents" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

A Rare Nick Masterpiece for the Ages

Author: blizshadow1 from Lithonia, Georgia
13 November 2004

I must say, I'm shocked at how much bashing this show tends to get on this site. Personally, I love it! (Sure, a few of the new episodes are kinda...eh) Aside from Spongebob, this show is the pure definition of comedy and one the only one that keeps me, and a lot of other people, tuned in to the Nick channel in the first place.

The basic plot is that Timmy Turner is a lonely, misunderstood ten-year-old boy who must deal with more than any boy his age should handle.... Ever. So out of sympathy, he is given Cosmo and Wanda, two bumbling fairies for personal servitude and company from Fairy World. But even with the two fairies at his side to help him 24/7, he quickly learns life is full of complications that even magic can't fix.

One of the reasons this show does so well is the large cast of characters. Everyone on the show gets a good laugh from me and that's what's important. Timmy's father, for example, is a clumsy, dense man and always undertaking some stupid task to get back at the... Dinklebergs.... Look up the word "evil" in the dictionary and you'll see a mug shot of Vicky, Timmy's babysitter, who cares only about money, the pain of a child, and... well, money.

Another reason of this show's success are the plots themselves. To get through life's challenges, Timmy uses his fairies' magic to the advantage. But, of course, nothing ever works out right. One reason is because of the rules added to the power of magic. After all, without restrictions on what Timmy could do, this show would be over in a snap. Also, each episode constantly throws in joke after joke after joke and, coupled with the quick animation and scene switching, it rarely slows down on its humor.

Now onto the heart of this wonderful show: the fairies. A regular comic pair. Wanda is sensible and smart, totally opposite of the purile idiot known as Cosmo. Their interactions with each other are often rib-cracking, especially since Cosmo is constantly getting on her nerves to no end. Adding to the fact that they are wed can ensure worse punishment for Cosmo in the end. They're always trying to work together as a team (a horribly dysfunctional one) and help Timmy, but you can always be sure Cosmo will add some "fun" along the way.

For real people, I can see nothing wrong with this show. Some of the reasons stated on here for its atrocity are total non-sense, such as the animation is bad or the characters all act dumb. Hello, it's a comedy. The characters act like that for a reason. As for the animation, there is worse, such as some of the things on Cartoon Network. (Dexter's Lab, PPG) It, and other shows like it, is actually a revival and tribute of an old style in the 30s and 40s that relied on an abstract look for uniqueness, so it had few details and the characters looked flat. And besides, so what if there's little detail and such? Is that really important in an animated comedy?

Alright, enough personal ranting for one day. Back to business. This show is absolutely wonderful. Good, quick humor, a huge and colorful cast of characters coupled with the premise of a boy with (nearly) infinite magical powers make this a must-see show for all. If you've barred this show from your schedule of "Must-Watches," at least give it a good chance. You may be extremely happy with the result.

This show is very cute!

Author: Sasshey from Oregon, USA
10 March 2004

My 7 year old son and I watch this program everyday and we both enjoy it very much. It's a cute show and always has a good lesson in it. I have yet to see an episode that wasn't enjoyable. The characters are funny the plots are interesting (for a cartoon) and the animation is well done. We watch The Fairly OddParents and Spongebob Squarepants both. And I think that they are fun with fresh ideas that kids and adults can both watch and enjoy. I like finding good programming like this that I can enjoy with me son. Something that can hold both of our interests. The Fairly OddParents and Spongebob Squarepants are both keepers! Keep up the good work Nickelodeon!!

Another Great Nickelodeon Cartoon!

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
28 June 2004

The Fairly Oddparents is another one of my favorite Nickelodeon cartoons along with SpongeBob Squarepants, Ahhh! Real Monsters, The Ren and Stimpy Show, Rocko's Modern Life, Angry Beavers, CatDog and Invader Zim. The show is about a 10-year old boy named Timmy Turner who at first had an average life because his parents work full-time and he is stuck with the evil 16-year old babysitter, Vicky who completely tortures Timmy every time. But that all changed when he got his own fairy godparents named Cosmo and Wanda! Cosmo is my favorite character because is so funny and he isn't that smart and makes a lot of mistakes! The humor in this cartoon is hilarious and it is so clever thanks to creator Butch Hartman. Plus there has been lots of celebrities voice guest starring on the show like Chris Kirkpatrick (one of the guys from Nsync), Rick Fox (NBA Basketball player), Jay Leno (talk-show host) and some others. Another character that I think is funny is Timmy's weird and crazy teacher who wants to find out if fairies exist, Mr. Crocker! Because I think it is hilarious when he says "FAIRY GODPARENTS" and does these wacky stunts. This show is another classic hit and hilarious! This show premiered on Nickelodeon back in March 2001.

User Rating: 9/10

BOTTOM LINE: FAIRLY FUNNY!

One of the best shows on Nick!

Author: mussicmann42 from United States
7 September 2006

OK, the first thing I have to say is that Fairly Oddparents is one of the best shows on Nick, (next to Spongebob) and has hysterically-funny characters. Comso is the best, because whatever he says is stupidly funny. I also think Timmy's dad is funny too. The fact that he and the the mom have no first names is really funny. Too bad this show is getting canceled. They could do so much more with it! Like make a theatrical movie, or something. Some of the new episodes did stink, because I think Fairly Oddparents got a new writer or something, but it is still a fun show to watch! I also think Jimmy Neutron and Spongebob are great show too!

great humorous FairlyOdd Parents show rocks

Author: xtnhkoby from United States
18 July 2006

FairlyOdd Parents is one of the few cartoons i still enjoy watching a lot. Comedy plays a big part in this cartoon and you'll find many little silly random things stitched into the interesting plots of the episodes. each episode has sort of like a few main random jokes or things that get used a couple of times through out the episode. its neat like that.

the cartoon is mainly about a little 10 year old kid named Timmy Turner who had a miserable life including his evil babysitter, Vicky, his crazy cranky teacher, Mr. Crooker, and his uh.. just unfortunate life in general. So Timmy has two fairies that were sent to him. Wanda and Cozmo are a big part of the show and the funny situations and usually disguise as goldfish or turn into anything else(Cozmo and Wanda always stay green and pink and faces). Wanda is the wiser more practical of the two. My favorite is Cozmo because he is usually silly clueless and an idiot. He sometimes makes situations harder.

And as for Timmy, he usually gets made fun of. yea and hes got a pink hat and the buck teeth.

cool toon.

Author: Queen_of_Shadows from Hong Kong
31 July 2005

Fairly Odd Parents has grown to be one of my favorite cartoons.Yes,I'm 14 but no one ever said I was too old for cartoons.

This show is about a 10-year-old kid who wears a silly pink hat named Timmy,an out-going kid with no common sense and a short attention span.He deals with being a loser at school,not being able to spend as much quality time with his parents and his worst enemy and fear of all (duh,duh,duh)Vicky,his evil 16-year-old babysitter.For poor Timmy Turner,he has no control over his life until one day two magical creatures come into his life and explain to Timmy that they're his new fairy godparents who can grant him unlimited wishes.Oh wait,there's a catch,along with his fairy godparents come a rule book known as "Da Rules" which limit him to most wishes.From that day on,Timmy makes bigger wishes which lead to bigger adventures that often lead him into trouble.However,while his fairy godparents have to grant the wishes,they love him like their own child and act as his mentors,well one of them at least.There's Wanda,the smart and bossy pink-haired godparent who often gives Timmy guidance.There's also her husband Cosmo,the dim-witted yet hilarious godparent who unlike his wife,leads Timmy into awesome but often dangerous adventures and while Wanda is the common sense of the trio,he's the comic relief.With just a spin of their wands,Timmy takes another step to great adventures as well as good lessons.

Recently,I don't think most of the new episodes have been doing so well but I absolutely love the classic episodes such as "A Wish Too Far","Boys in Band and many more.Even though I love every character on this show,Timmy is most likely my favorite character because even if he can be selfish,he's sympathetic and considerate of others.He's also your typical 10-year-old who wishes for what any kid would want.What I love about this show is the humor,the eventual spoofs,some running gags,the characters and the fact that everyone on this show is a complete idiot.However,what I love more are the relationships in this show.I love what Timmy has between his parents as well as his fairy godparents.I saw AbraCatrasphe (sp) and I thought it was cute how Timmy said he loved Wanda as much as Cosmo.I also liked how Timmy confessed about his godparents and Wanda and Cosmo wouldn't go because they loved Timmy.So despite most goofs and the recent downhill episodes,I love this show and I want to rate it a 7/10.

This show is NOT stupid

Author: Jake Nelson from Clayton, NC
31 January 2004

All right, all right (hyperventilating) This show is third only to Simpsons and Spongebob. I could not disagree more with whoever wrote that one comment. There is just one episode I really hate, that being "Smarty Pants." Every series has a WEE or Worst Episode Ever.

My comments on The Fairly OddParents

Author: hamizanritz (hamizanritz@yahoo.com) from Malaysia
20 May 2006

This show is the best. A very hilarious, funny and sometimes even touching piece of animation. The jokes are good, the animation is nice and the voice acting is spectacular. If I am given between watching the world cup or the world series, I would choose to watch this show. I would watch the show forever if I could. But what can I do, I heard that this show is going to be cancelled next month. People complain that this show doesn't have the "fairly oddparent-ness" anymore. But what do I care, Timmy is still Timmy and Cosmo is still Cosmo. One of my favorite parts in this show are.....umm, well I don't have any, everything is my favorite. Although the drawings and the voices have changed through time, they are still who they are. If you would rate me on how much I like this show from 1 to 10, I would give it an 11. But there is 1 thing I don't get about this show. How come they never made an episode on how did Cosmo and Wanda met? All we know that they met in high school and Wanda chose Cosmo because he was funny, anything else? 1 of my favorite things that I like about this show is the music. It's mostly jazz but there are also rock, rap, pop and a little anything else. Two of my favorite songs in this show are "If I Lived In TV" and "Find Your Voice". I also like the animation because it is simple and OK. The production team I also call the best. The writers, directors and voice actors have done a very good job making the show what it is today. Butch, if you're reading this, give everyone you have worked with a pat on the back. They all deserve it. Before I wrap this up, I would like to say that the pilot episodes and season 6 haven't reach my region yet. Have a nice day.

One of Nickelodeon's gems

Author: wandsandwings from Australia
26 December 2004

If you have seen this show, you will realize how priceless "The Fairly Odd Parents" is. Created by Butch Hartman, who has also created the increasingly popular "Danny Phantom", it is about a 10-year-old kid called Timmy who has a mean babysitter called Vicky (Icky with a V) and clueless parents. This leads to him receiving Fairy Godparents, who are there to try and make his life better by granting him wishes.

Although I personally love the show, I can see why some people might not enjoy it as much. Sometimes the jokes can be really not that funny at all, and it is constantly being repeated. Saying that, "The Fairly Odd Parents" contains some fantastic one-liners as well. This show always has me in stitches.

Nick has been producing some pretty average shows in the past couple of years, *cough* All Grown Up, Romeo, As Told By Ginger *cough* so it is a relief for me the "Fairly Odd Parents" is around :) 9/10

The Emotion Behind the Humour

Author: critic-puncher from Canada
24 March 2005

I'm not really a TV addict. There haven't been many shows of which I have my full devotion to. But there's something special about Fairly OddParents. Something that touches the heart as well as the funny bone. Something that makes me interested in watching it every day I can. For one thing, it is absolutely hilarious. However, there is more to it than just humor. It is also well connected to the life of kids and has many truly heartfelt moments. The Fairly OddParents may seem like just another stupid show on television, but it is that and much more.

A good number of us know that is a great cartoon. It is crazy and wacky; with the characters all acting larger than life and magnifying to the nth degree certain character traits. In addition, it parodies many real-world people, places, and things, turning popular culture upside-down. There are jokes that appeal to all age groups, with the adult jokes carefully woven into the episodes so as to not disturb kids too much. Plus, with varied settings, genres, and plot lines, it comes with a fresh laugh in almost every episode. The many wishes Timmy makes with his fairy godparents gets them into a variety of hilarious situations. This is the kind of show that can keep you laughing with each new episode.

The show is hilarious, but what makes it really fabulous lies in its powerful symbolism. Timmy Turner is not just a reflection of an average kid; he IS an average kid (did you pay attention to the theme song?). Timmy goes through life experiencing the same emotions real kids do, such as torture at school, being misunderstood by parents, being teased by more popular kids, torture by a certain person, and the list goes on and on. The big thing is that Fairly OddParents doesn't antagonize kids for their choices or attitudes like teens and adults in real life do. The show accepts kids for who they are, although it shows consequences of bad choices as well as good choices, which are made readily available to Timmy with his fairy godparents. For example, when Timmy decides to destroy Vicky's house in "Timmy's 2-D House of Horror," the decision leads to Vicky (His archenemy and evil babysitter) staying with her family with Timmy's family, which leads to a nightmare for Timmy. This show gives kids someone to relate to and something to confide in, as well as influencing them to make good choices in life.

Behind the humor, this show has something that most cartoons lack, heart. There is a wealth of morals and messages with scenes that find their way to the heart. Aside from the obvious message about making good choices in life, there are others, such as the value of family and friends. This is evident in many episodes, such as "Odd Jobs," where Timmy tries to help his dad to get a better job, but only when he was about to lose him for about 60 years did he realize that his best job was being his dad. Also, in "A Wish Too Far," Timmy tries to become popular so that he could be able to be with a popular girl, Trixie, but when he becomes so snobbish to his friends and godparents that he was about to lose them, he realized that popularity wasn't important, his friends were. Another important message is in "The Boy Who Would Be Queen," where Timmy decides to wish that he was a girl in order to learn what Trixie liked, and as a result, learned that it was okay to be yourself. The scenes when Timmy learns lessons of life can be quite touching. This show can transmit values to many kids without using overly simplistic plots and it can also amuse them at the same time. This is what makes it a superior show.

With its fusion of humor and heart elements in such a way that has never been equaled by any other show on television, it's easy to understand why Fairly OddParents is the second most popular show on TV and why I believe that it is the absolute best show on TV. It has a wealth of jokes and emotion that can appeal to people of all ages. I'm not just casually saying this like other people who say something is the best show ever but just mean that its really good at the moment. I genuinely mean it with all my heart. I don't do this often, but I express my great appreciation to Butch Hartman and all of the staff for creating this wonderful show. No matter how many other "good" shows such as Spongebob Squarepants or The Simpsons get more attention on the media, Fairly OddParents will always be the best show to me and other kids, and that is what really counts.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]