IMDb > "Dora the Explorer" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dora the Explorer"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dora the Explorer" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A foreigner's point of view

Author: (loblie@freemail.hu) from Budapest, Hungary
23 June 2004

As I can see, so far every comment came from English speaking audience.

Well, we live in Hungary, and here the series were translated to Hungarian, with some English phrases in it (which were originally the Spanish ones, I guess). I have a 5 and a 2 year-old daughter, and they both enjoy watching Dora very much. I think this is a very good educational movie! The younger learns special Hungarian words, which she would not know otherwise (eg. volcano). She also enjoys the activity Dora asks us to do. And the older one picked up the English words very fast, and even asked me to teach her more English! Thanks to this cartoon now they tell us to fasten our safety belts when we drive, and the little one learned to count to ten at a very early age. We have most of the parts recorded on video, and they often ask for them. By the way, I couldn't find the information on this site: how many parts are there altogether? If somebody knows, please let me know.

Not educational at all

Author: dhik24 from United States
4 July 2009

In case you are not familiar with this show Dora is a 7 year old Latina girl who travels around with a monkey named Boots. The episodes typically consist of Dora traveling to three places with the third place as a goal. That is my first complaint about this show, the repetition is too much for a kid's show. The songs consist of the same words over and over and the plots are also the same thing every time. While there is some repetition in every form of entertainment, especially for children, this is absolutely ridiculous.

The second complaint I have about this show is that Dora is not educational. Out of all the episodes I have watched the one that most stands out on this point is the backpack episode. During that episode Dora teaches kids how to count to eight twice. Yes, that's right. Out of a 23 minute show the creators devoted an astounding 16 SECONDS to the educational bit. I do admit that Dora did teach a Spanish word but children should be learning more about ABC's, counting, etc than Spanish. The characters don't even have personality so it's not like they could learn about people through the actions of Dora either.

My final complaint is that this show has way too much merchandise. You could even buy your kid Dora cereal if you wanted. Considering that that every episode is the same and there is no educational value to this show is it obvious that it was created for only one thing: money.

Dora is great!

Author: nediri79 from Ontario, Canada
12 January 2005

I have a 3 year old daughter who loves the show. Not every show is great, they are all repetitive however when it comes to small children that helps them to learn. Thanks to this show my daughter has developed excellent decisive skills and puzzle solving skills. While it is incredibly annoying for an adult to watch as the songs get quite aggravating however, the kids seem to just love it. Throughout the show kids are asked to find things to help them along the way. They keep it simple so that small kids get a feeling of accomplishment when they get it right. There is always a little jingle played when they complete a task which makes the kids smile. When waiting for a response from the viewer they actually wait long enough for small kids to formulate a response, unlike many other children's shows. Keep in mind when watching Dora that it is not intended for older kids nor is it intended for adults. As much as we may hate to watch it, small kids love it and do learn a lot from it.

Poor!

Author: ian-1211 from West Hove, England
12 January 2007

This is the early version of "Maya and Miguel". Another show promoting multiculturalism. Okay, beside all. The show when I first saw it it put me off. I watched it five times or so then never again. The show's synopsis is pretty stupid. Dora, a Latino girl, Boots, a blue monkey wearing boots and other funny creatures travels long distances to get something really unnecessary. Like a packet of party poppers. They have to get over obstacles to reach their pointless task and then defeat a dumb, masked fox which then they tell the audience (children) to yell at the T.V screen to make him go away, EVERY SINGLE EPISODE! It also teaches kids Spanish along the way. Also, the songs in it makes me really sick! I don't like Dora. It's becoming another dumb little girlie fad like "Disney's Princess" which I hate with a passion! The person who created two premises must be rolling in cash! Okay, nice thought to creating Dora to promote multi-culture but a bad idea to make tons of money out of this! A bad show! 3/10

I find it too repetitive to be honest...

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
10 May 2010

I have tried to like Dora the Explorer, as I am all for educational shows. For example Tots TV, Sesame Street and Rosie and Jim were educational and all three of them I loved as a kid because they were also a lot of fun. As an 18 year old girl, I kept in consideration that this was a kids show, but sorry I don't like it. The first problem and my major problem with Dora the Explorer is that it is too repetitive. The scripting, the music, the story lines... they felt the same in every episode. Another problem is that I for one don't find it educational, there was an episode when Dora I think counted to ten in Spanish. Kids will definitely find that educational, but for someone who studied Spanish for two years, I couldn't help rolling my eyes at something I already knew. Then the story lines are unoriginal for the most part, the music is forgettable(to me that is though I do appreciate that they were keeping it simple for kids to remember, but I personally felt they went overboard with the simplicity), the characters are thin, the writing is shallow and for me the voice acting was unexceptional. On a plus, the animation was nice to look at, simple but colourful and bright. Overall, sorry but I don't like it, kids will love it but being older it doesn't appeal to me. 1/10 for the animation. Bethany Cox

An example of why children's T.V. is so awful.

Author: BlackJack_B (bluethunder35@hotmail.com) from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
18 December 2006

Before I begin, I applaud what Dora The Explorer tries to accomplish. Shows like Sesame Street want to teach kids about other cultures and languages. I think a kid's show that lets kids learn about another culture and language is a good thing. We need more shows like this.

The problem with the show is its execution. First of all, I feel that Dora treats their young audience like idiots. They expect the child to scream the answers to Dora at the T.V.; as if she'll hear them. Second, the show has a shrill way of getting its point across. Dora, Boots, the Knapsack, the Map and everybody else talk down to the audience or simply come off as annoying. The songs and writing are weak and the voice-acting will give you a headache. The Map, especially, grates on me. There is way too much repetitiveness and it's tiring to see Dora asking for help whenever she comes to an obstacle. She's not much of an explorer.

The worse part of the show is the fact that there is NOTHING here that an adult can enjoy. The ride is as saccharine as it gets. Also, the animation is pretty blah. It's full of colors but it won't win any awards for its technical brilliance.

Yes, maybe the show will keep kids occupied but I think there are much better shows from the past and even today that can help teach kids when they don't want a textbook or a learning toy. This is just their Grey's Anatomy, a bad show whose popularity is due to their fans calling it "escapism" as their excuse for watching it.

Why must she always scream?

Author: Xenophore from Benbrook, TX
14 March 2004

It seems that Dora feels she must yell at all times to get attention, which makes her as pleasant to listen to as fingernails on a blackboard. Even after enduring a few episodes of this show, I'm still trying to figure out what the creators think they are teaching? The few words of Spanish that are used aren't enough to form simple phrases, so why are they there? Mostly, it seems like they're trying to teach prepositions (up, down, through, etc.) and they're padding it with a few Spanish words to fill out the half-hour episode. I think her parents should keep better tabs on her and around the house more instead of letting her wander through forests and valleys all the time. That, and there's something evil about her eyes.

A boring baby's show that I hate with a passion

Author: kumargopinath from United States
19 September 2013

WHY THE HELL is this piece of dog poop so popular?why,WHY!?!?!?Even my seven year old sister can come up with better ideas.This makes the new episodes of spongebob look like a masterpiece.The writers of this show are probably as dumb as dora.Speaking of dora,she's got to be one of my least favorite cartoon characters,no,scratch that,my least favorite CHARACTER of all time.And boots is no better either.I'd rather watch blues clues and I don't even like that show either.Oh,I forgot to mention that dora and boots sing pointless and dumb musical numbers every episode(if that isn't bad enough, they sing the EXACT SAME SONGS EVERY SINGLE EPISODE!!!!!)And don't even get me started on swiper,who I wish would once swipe dora's clothes.You know what,now I am pretty convinced that this show's writers are DUMBER than dora.So bottom line:dora is a dumb,stupid show that I believe is making our generation's kids dumber.It's sad that kids have to grow up watching these abominations instead of watching classics like tom and jerry,looney tunes etc.

Boring,stupid

Author: bugcrazy10 from United States
13 January 2013

Dora bores me to the limits. it is barely educational. one example is you do not need go to over everything you see why can't you go around it. like how they go over mountains and not around? Dora teaches you terrible Spanish the entire sentence should be in Spanish not one word. Also they should not be helping evil characters like when Swiper the Fox was on the naughty list for the bad things he'd done why did they helped take him off. My son was scared because of Dora because of Swiper the Fox.Also they are giving you bad examples, Should you really be going around and be stealing Easter eggs from other peoples property and ruining their Easter egg hunt! But still it is kind of educational for example it teaches you counting and matching (i think some preschoolers know counting and matching.) My daughter watched Dora a little in second grade. I still don't know why little kids like it and why it is that popular.

More like "Dumb Dora the Explorer!"

Author: anthony-rigoni from United States
24 October 2012

Get ready for a kiddie cartoon that's so horrendous, so annoying, and so awkwardly bad that it would make The Magic Voyage less noisy. I am indeed talking about Dora the Explorer, a TV show that is still on Nickelodeon's made for kids block, "Nick Jr.".

The TV Series features Dora, a Hispanic girl who goes on adventures with her monkey friend, Boots, and other characters such as Benny the Bull and sometimes Diego. How can I describe how bad this TV Series is? HORRENDOUSLY BAD!!! Dora is an idiot who constantly asks the audience where this thing is or that thing is and... COME ON, YOU BRAT!! You're the one with the freaking map, why ask me?!! In the middle of each episode, there's a fox named Swiper who gets a chance of stealing Dora's stuff. In order to stop Swiper, Dora and Boots say "Swiper, no swiping" three times and then he goes away.... Oh sure, like saying "Swiper, no swiping" would make a serial killer or a pedophile go away. HE OR SHE WILL KILL YOU INSTEAD OF GOING AWAY!!!! As an excuse of trying to be educational(I'm using that word loosely), it throws a few Spanish words in it. If I want to learn Spanish, I'll take a Spanish class at school(Which, mind you, I already did). During the episodes, they sing about everything they do. What is this, Dora the Explorer the Musical?!! This isn't the Music Man! This isn't Singin' in the Rain!! This is Dora the Freaking Explorer!!! At the end of each episode, Dora and Boots ask the audience what their favorite part of the episode is. Do you want to know what my favorite part is? Well, my favorite part is when a group of cannibals grab Dora by the legs, gang-rape her, and kill her while they circumcise Boots and eat him alive. I know it sounds disturbing and I know it didn't happen in the show, but that is my point on how annoying and stupid Dora the Explorer is!!!

How the numb-nuts at Nickelodeon still kept this animated nightmare running, I don't know. All the characters are nincompoops, this show never shuts up, telling burglars to go away by saying "Swiper, no swiping!" will not work in real life, and this show will treat your kids like snotty-nosed idiots! Bottom Line: If you ever see Dora the Explorer, change the channel and don't buy the DVDs!!! This TV show is muy estupido(That's Spanish for very stupid)!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]