IMDb > "Dora the Explorer" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dora the Explorer"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Dora the Explorer" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

A foreigner's point of view

Author: (loblie@freemail.hu) from Budapest, Hungary
23 June 2004

As I can see, so far every comment came from English speaking audience.

Well, we live in Hungary, and here the series were translated to Hungarian, with some English phrases in it (which were originally the Spanish ones, I guess). I have a 5 and a 2 year-old daughter, and they both enjoy watching Dora very much. I think this is a very good educational movie! The younger learns special Hungarian words, which she would not know otherwise (eg. volcano). She also enjoys the activity Dora asks us to do. And the older one picked up the English words very fast, and even asked me to teach her more English! Thanks to this cartoon now they tell us to fasten our safety belts when we drive, and the little one learned to count to ten at a very early age. We have most of the parts recorded on video, and they often ask for them. By the way, I couldn't find the information on this site: how many parts are there altogether? If somebody knows, please let me know.

Dora is great!

Author: nediri79 from Ontario, Canada
12 January 2005

I have a 3 year old daughter who loves the show. Not every show is great, they are all repetitive however when it comes to small children that helps them to learn. Thanks to this show my daughter has developed excellent decisive skills and puzzle solving skills. While it is incredibly annoying for an adult to watch as the songs get quite aggravating however, the kids seem to just love it. Throughout the show kids are asked to find things to help them along the way. They keep it simple so that small kids get a feeling of accomplishment when they get it right. There is always a little jingle played when they complete a task which makes the kids smile. When waiting for a response from the viewer they actually wait long enough for small kids to formulate a response, unlike many other children's shows. Keep in mind when watching Dora that it is not intended for older kids nor is it intended for adults. As much as we may hate to watch it, small kids love it and do learn a lot from it.

Not educational at all

Author: dhik24 from United States
4 July 2009

In case you are not familiar with this show Dora is a 7 year old Latina girl who travels around with a monkey named Boots. The episodes typically consist of Dora traveling to three places with the third place as a goal. That is my first complaint about this show, the repetition is too much for a kid's show. The songs consist of the same words over and over and the plots are also the same thing every time. While there is some repetition in every form of entertainment, especially for children, this is absolutely ridiculous.

The second complaint I have about this show is that Dora is not educational. Out of all the episodes I have watched the one that most stands out on this point is the backpack episode. During that episode Dora teaches kids how to count to eight twice. Yes, that's right. Out of a 23 minute show the creators devoted an astounding 16 SECONDS to the educational bit. I do admit that Dora did teach a Spanish word but children should be learning more about ABC's, counting, etc than Spanish. The characters don't even have personality so it's not like they could learn about people through the actions of Dora either.

My final complaint is that this show has way too much merchandise. You could even buy your kid Dora cereal if you wanted. Considering that that every episode is the same and there is no educational value to this show is it obvious that it was created for only one thing: money.

I find it too repetitive to be honest...

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
10 May 2010

I have tried to like Dora the Explorer, as I am all for educational shows. For example Tots TV, Sesame Street and Rosie and Jim were educational and all three of them I loved as a kid because they were also a lot of fun. As an 18 year old girl, I kept in consideration that this was a kids show, but sorry I don't like it. The first problem and my major problem with Dora the Explorer is that it is too repetitive. The scripting, the music, the story lines... they felt the same in every episode. Another problem is that I for one don't find it educational, there was an episode when Dora I think counted to ten in Spanish. Kids will definitely find that educational, but for someone who studied Spanish for two years, I couldn't help rolling my eyes at something I already knew. Then the story lines are unoriginal for the most part, the music is forgettable(to me that is though I do appreciate that they were keeping it simple for kids to remember, but I personally felt they went overboard with the simplicity), the characters are thin, the writing is shallow and for me the voice acting was unexceptional. On a plus, the animation was nice to look at, simple but colourful and bright. Overall, sorry but I don't like it, kids will love it but being older it doesn't appeal to me. 1/10 for the animation. Bethany Cox

Poor!

Author: ian-1211 from West Hove, England
12 January 2007

This is the early version of "Maya and Miguel". Another show promoting multiculturalism. Okay, beside all. The show when I first saw it it put me off. I watched it five times or so then never again. The show's synopsis is pretty stupid. Dora, a Latino girl, Boots, a blue monkey wearing boots and other funny creatures travels long distances to get something really unnecessary. Like a packet of party poppers. They have to get over obstacles to reach their pointless task and then defeat a dumb, masked fox which then they tell the audience (children) to yell at the T.V screen to make him go away, EVERY SINGLE EPISODE! It also teaches kids Spanish along the way. Also, the songs in it makes me really sick! I don't like Dora. It's becoming another dumb little girlie fad like "Disney's Princess" which I hate with a passion! The person who created two premises must be rolling in cash! Okay, nice thought to creating Dora to promote multi-culture but a bad idea to make tons of money out of this! A bad show! 3/10

Why must she always scream?

Author: Xenophore from Benbrook, TX
14 March 2004

It seems that Dora feels she must yell at all times to get attention, which makes her as pleasant to listen to as fingernails on a blackboard. Even after enduring a few episodes of this show, I'm still trying to figure out what the creators think they are teaching? The few words of Spanish that are used aren't enough to form simple phrases, so why are they there? Mostly, it seems like they're trying to teach prepositions (up, down, through, etc.) and they're padding it with a few Spanish words to fill out the half-hour episode. I think her parents should keep better tabs on her and around the house more instead of letting her wander through forests and valleys all the time. That, and there's something evil about her eyes.

An example of why children's T.V. is so awful.

Author: Oleanderr (bluethunder35@hotmail.com) from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
18 December 2006

Before I begin, I applaud what Dora The Explorer tries to accomplish. Shows like Sesame Street want to teach kids about other cultures and languages. I think a kid's show that lets kids learn about another culture and language is a good thing. We need more shows like this.

The problem with the show is its execution. First of all, I feel that Dora treats their young audience like idiots. They expect the child to scream the answers to Dora at the T.V.; as if she'll hear them. Second, the show has a shrill way of getting its point across. Dora, Boots, the Knapsack, the Map and everybody else talk down to the audience or simply come off as annoying. The songs and writing are weak and the voice-acting will give you a headache. The Map, especially, grates on me. There is way too much repetitiveness and it's tiring to see Dora asking for help whenever she comes to an obstacle. She's not much of an explorer.

The worse part of the show is the fact that there is NOTHING here that an adult can enjoy. The ride is as saccharine as it gets. Also, the animation is pretty blah. It's full of colors but it won't win any awards for its technical brilliance.

Yes, maybe the show will keep kids occupied but I think there are much better shows from the past and even today that can help teach kids when they don't want a textbook or a learning toy. This is just their Grey's Anatomy, a bad show whose popularity is due to their fans calling it "escapism" as their excuse for watching it.

Pointless TV-filling

Author: Hoi Toet from Netherlands
27 January 2008

I think it would appear to be really easy to just criticize a children-show like Dora, but after seeing this a couple of times I felt I should write a review about this.

First of all, the version over here is in Dutch so the second language being 'taught' here is English, not Spanish like it says on the IMDb-page. Second of all, when I wrote 'pointless' in the summary in this review I really meant pointless in every meaning of the word, because every time you (and maybe your children as well) watch this you never have a clue what the true goal of this show is. Yeah of course; children get to learn some small (in this case) English words every now and then but other then that its the same repetitive things over and over again.

The first thing that I noticed was the very poor production. Granted, as a children-show it should focus more on the educational part of the show instead of nice imagery, but the production looks plain rushed and uninspired.

To obtain attention from the next-generation children, the entire show is done in a semi-computerprogram based environment, complete with mousepointer. I think one of the worst aspects of the show is the illusion of children having a choice in the matters in the show. How is this helping children, by making them think a animated girl and her (pink...?) monkey can hear him/her through the television? I've always found that aspect of the show mindboggling. However, whats even more ridiculous is the fact that a subject like theft (in this case done by a fox wearing a mask) is portrayed as something you can just solve by telling the thief he shouldn't steal... Especially in this day in age thats just wrong.

Most of the time I don't bother reviewing children-shows like this but this show lacks in almost every way to be a good show and I think parents have the right to know how much a show is helping they'r children and not. At least a show like 'Blues Clues' (while also being quite mediocre) has some straight learning-subjects (calender-times, seasons, telling the time etc.). Even if Dora wasn't supposed to be educational, it would have been even worse as a normal entertainment-show since every episode is practically the same. The same 3 stages towards a goal, the same (dull) characters, and the same weird questions that are being asked towards the audience in order to 'help' the characters in the show. And while it is silly to ask for things like character-development in a show like this, it should at least have some entertainment-value I think. Now it is just pointless and uninspired TV-filling.

Keep away.

Wait....there are people who LIKE this?!

Author: revelation_48 from U.S.A
25 September 2004

What has the world done to deserve this?! God, just watching this show makes you want to look out the window and see if the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are riding down your street. The bad thing is that it won't STOP! Every time that map sings that song, I get more encouraged to throw my shoe at the TV. And before you get mad, let me tell you how I stumbled onto this freakshow.

I sat down on the couch one night to watch something on Nickelodeon. Something on Nick at Nite. But I dozed off. I was just sleeping innocently until:I'M THE MAP, I'M THE MAP, I'M THE MAP, I'M THE MMMAAAAP! Obviously thrust out of my sleep, I went ahead to see what had pulled me from my much needed rest. After I saw the show, I never watched Nickelodeon again unless I turned it off before going to sleep.

And also the show need not be for kids. In example, "Swiper, no swiping" won't do anything for you in reality if you were being mugged. You would probably get the snot beat out of you for your ignorance. And the episode I was treated to was the one where Benny needed help with his balloon. It was inflated to 60 psi, he would've been long gone before they showed up. And duct tape won't fix the balloon either. The repetitiveness is the worst part. I understand that it helps a child learn, but what good is repeating "I'm the Map" fifteen million times do for your kid? It makes them feel stupid. And the talking to the TV parts are just bizarre! What if the kids get cut off before they have a chance to say what they want to say? That would hurt their feelings.

Bottom line:Just say NO to Dora.

Excellent

Author: barbarellasjsu from Bay Area, USA
14 September 2001

This is an excellent show for children to see. It's not an adult show, but it get's the children to learn how to count and to even understand Spanish. It is kind of stupid when it talks to swiper and boots, but it's definately a childrens show. My son loves to watch Dora, he repeats what she says, and he can count to 10 now on his own!I highly recommend this show for children to see! You have to see it to understand, but it's not a show for an adult, it's a show for kids!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]