IMDb > "Dark Angel" Pilot (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dark Angel: Pilot (#1.0)"

"Dark Angel" Pilot (2000)

1 of 42 Episodes | Next »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Dark Angel Should live

Author: ocmceachin from here
21 November 2003

I miss Dark Angel!..

I understand not ever one likes it, but as far as I'm concerned the show should not have been canceled, especially for another space show mock up...

I'm reading the books now. they are doing a pretty good job of explaining somethings, but I still think we should get a TV movie or something.

THE FREAK NATION LIVES!!!!!!!!

LOVE IT, why did it have to finish???

Author: tay_odea (tay_odea@hotmail.com) from Perth, Australia
3 December 2003

dark angel rocks! the best show i have seen in ages damn those people who took it off! me and my friends have gatherings to watch every DA episode! takes like 4 days but it is worth it! it finished before it finished what it wanted to say and that annoys the hell out of me!

Ended just when the series not only became good, but had more to say than your average TV series

Author: thuybui from United States
8 June 2005

It took us a couple of episodes to "get into" Dark Angel as a story and a series, since we were transitioning from The Sopranos, a very different mentality framework. But, once we got with the gist of the series, we were very quickly hooked. It's a shame that the series ended just when it was just starting to past good into the excellent category: Dark Angelwas much more than your average TV series. It kicks ass and rocks as far as action goes, but the interactions of the characters and societal reactions to "mutants" reminds us of the constant prejudices that we face (and make) everyday. That the story is set in the future keeps the mood surreal and prevents the anti-discrimination message from being rubbed in our faces (hence not ruining the "fun" for those who don't like to be lectured during entertainment), but every event and human/societal interaction remains relevant to the present. We all make judgments, face our own prejudices, but, in the end, the question of who you are lies in: do you sit back and shut your mind to it, or do you get up and do something about it? For those who have no choice but to fight, for survival or justice, this series empowers them. For those who've never had to face the question, this series "sneaks in" that message under the guise of pure action entertainment. It is much more well-made and well-written than most TV series; I'm highly disappointed it ended before it could really kick into high gear.

Great Series

Author: Umar Raja from Pakistan
1 December 2004

i would like to comment the series as a great effort. The story line although requiring a few improvements was pretty well, especially in season 1. Season 2 however became more of a freak show, and lost DA's original charm. Season one story line was more interesting, a light side to the life at Jam pony while a focused serious plot with manticore chasing down the X-series. i was looking forward to new seasons, in fact i still am. I hope the FOX guys and DA production crew realize that a lot of ppl still wait for DA to make a comeback. Even after 2 yrs of it being cancelled, DA can make it big if worked on properly, and i think a name like James Cameron should take on this challenge.

You'll Be Hooked.....

Author: Brad Clarke (bradjclarke84@hotmail.com) from Sydney, Australia
7 July 2003

Imagine the government is creating a super child, with abilities superior to that of ours, they are fast, strong, they are warriors... who seek meaning. That's what this show is about. Max is one of these soldiers who is on the run from those who created her. She with the help of a good guy Logan will try and find the others like her who escaped. This show works on many levels - first the action with the great effects as the X5 soldiers kick butt with matrix style moves, secondly the drama of this girl trying to fit into the 'normal' world and the relationships she creates. The acting is great, the story lines brilliant. I was 17 when the show first started, and since the first episode all I want was a barcode on my neck like the X5 (which, just before i turned 19 i received, thanks to the tattoo guy). I recommend this show to anyone who likes a good action, sci - fi or drama, as its a mix of all and a lot more.

Reasonably Managed to Set the Stage for a Pretty Good Sci-Fi Series

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
4 June 2016

Created in a laboratory and trained in a secret government facility along with several other children, "Max Guevera" (Jessica Alba) manages to escape and finds a safe haven in Seattle which has been devastated by an electro-magnetic pulse that has caused a national financial meltdown in the process. Time passes and due in large part to her incredible athletic and combat skills she manages to survive by working during the day as a bicycle courier and at night as a cat-burglar. One day, as luck would have it, she just happens to sees an ancient Egyptian artifact in a high-rise apartment and decides to steal it. However, she is caught during the attempt and upon meeting the owner of the artifact named "Logan Cale" (Michael Weatherly) and learns that he is an honest man who has been single-handedly fighting against corrupt politicians and mobsters who rule the city with an iron fist. Although initially disinclined to join his cause she eventually agrees to help him out in exchange for information concerning the location of the other children who escaped with her so many years earlier. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this particular pilot film reasonably managed to set the stage for pretty good sci-fi series. I especially liked the other characters involved in her work environment and the apocalyptic setting used overall. Having said that, it should be remembered that this is just a pilot episode and as a result there is much more to the overall story than meets the eye. In any case, I have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.

Finish what you started

Author: lakindar from United States
27 October 2005

definitely needed a little work in season 2. Such as the Virus between Max and Logan, and Ames White along with his ancient, super cult. During season two, however, the only thing that kept me watching was to see if Max and Logan would ever get rid of the nasty virus infecting Max. Very good drama in season two. But of course like all TV shows, if there's something a little wrong with it, the broadcasting company takes it off the air. I was seriously hoping for a third and final season. Season 2 leaves you hanging, unless you read the books by Max Allan Collins, then you will know what happens.

Dark Angel should be put back on the air for one more season even though it might cost a lot just to get all the original actors again. since Jessica Alba's carrier sky rocketed after the show. If that would be the case, then there should be a movie to complete it. just like the show Firefly, which of course FOX canceled as well.

Jessica shines

Author: Macholic from Copenhagen, Denmark, EU
4 January 2004

Jessica Alba's Max and Valerie Rae Miller's Original Cindy shines in this actionpacked and atmospheric serial. Wonderfully politically incorrect. Quality varies greatly from episode to episode, but generally the standard is high and when it is not, Jessica is always worth looking at. Valerie's urban jivetalking afroamerican is occationally almost dragging Dark Angel into sitcom territory.

The pilot was good, the series was good, where's Season 2?

Author: Victor Field from London, England
23 June 2001

Warning: This review contains a spoiler for the end of the first season - I'll warn you again when we get there and put in a space.

So... James Cameron's first TV series (although co-creator Charles H. Eglee admits Mr. King Of The World isn't actually involved in the day-to-day business of the show) has made it to a second year. Was it worth the hassle?

As you may already have guessed from some other posts here, I'd say yes. There hasn't been a true cliffhanger of the sort even more critically acclaimed shows have (at least here we know "who's been hit") -

WARNING: YOU ARE ENTERING A SPOILER ZONE.

Max is in the clutches of Manticore, with Zack having literally given his heart to his shot-killed-and-resuscitated X5 sister (much to the displeasure of several fans), Kira from "Deep Space Nine" - er, I mean Madame X has established herself and Logan thinks she's dead... or at least gone... (last words of the season finale - "I just hope she's okay")

WE NOW RETURN YOU TO A SPOILER-FREE ZONE.

and the pieces are set for the second season. They could still stand to settle the writing down somewhat, and the Jam Pony crowd are still a bit irksome, but when you consider that Steven Spielberg's first series was "seaQuest DSV" and that Cameron has had his name on far worse stuff ("Strange Days," anyone?), this has become one of the few shows on TV that I'm looking forward to, although it has a lot of enemies. But come on - wouldn't you rather have this than another reality show?

And then there's Jessica. Many argue that she's the world's worst actress, but that wasn't true in the pilot, and it became less true in the course of the series (imagine what this would have been like if Tiffani-Amber Thiessen or Carmen Electra had been the lead and you get the idea). The fact that Jessica is gorgeous beyond belief is, I shamelessly admit, another plus...

The sound you just heard is my 31-year-old critical judgement flying out of the window, but I refer you to Megan from "Felicity": "And I care about this...why?"

I like it

Author: jwinters-2 from United States
6 October 2000

I thought this had the right blend of character, plot, futuristic stuff and special effects without going over board. It will take a while to get going, but the acting was good and I was intrigued by the angel who is not to hard to look at. I like the attitude too! Certainly not like other attempts at futuristic stories.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]