IMDb > Audition (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ôdishon

Audition More at IMDbPro »Ôdishon (original title)

Page 37 of 42: [Prev][32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [Next]

Kiri, Kiri, Kiri, Kiri!

Author: James Pritchard from United Kingdom
4 April 2014

In it's essence Audition is a somewhat clever and twisted love story which explores the physical and mental damage that can be caused by relationships and the way with which humans treat or mistreat each other.

'Shigeharu' is a lonely man and widowed following the loss of his wife, when his son suggests that his father should begin a new search for love. With a fulfilling career in the movie industry Shigeharu decides upon an 'audition' for a lead female for a role in a new movie. Both the role and the movie are make believe and Shigeharu is actually auditioning the pretty females for his next love.

Upon interviewing the long queue of ladies, Shigeharu whittles down the applicants but is ultimately drawn to and spellbound by the beautiful and mysterious 'Asami'. The two begin to date and it becomes clear that Asami has some dark secrets hidden inside her. Whilst some of those closest to Shigeharu feel that Asami may not be all that he believes her to be and warn against his pursuit of Asami, their advice falls on deaf ears.

For 80 minutes or so, Audition offers an intriguing insight in to the human aspects of dating, love, emotional scars, desire and acceptance for one another. There are a number of aesthetically beautiful scenes which weave between the real and dream like sequences. Audition also has some genuine scenes of humour and dark humour but the more sinister undertone to Audition bubbles up to boiling point for an horrific finale which will throw most viewers, leaving mouths agape and jaws on the floor.

As a film maker Director Takashi Miike is no stranger to controversy but he is a genuine master of combining the bold and the beautiful, with Audition being one of his finest examples of this. For anyone wanting to experience a genuinely thought provoking story of love played out in the guise of a horror/thriller, Audition is a must see.

A well made Cult Film.

Author: tarinj-h
28 March 2013

I recently watched this for the third time, and decided to watch it with my dad. The basic story-line is a man's wife dies, and years later he decides to re-marry. His friend says he will hold auditions to find him a new wife. He finds who he thinks is perfect, and she turns out to be psychotic. As the film played through, many things were commented on. Mostly the use of colour and clever story-telling. At the beginning of the film, it's very bright, with lots of pale colours and much white, a good example is the initial audition scenes. As the couple's dates progress, things begin to darken, metaphorically and literally. During one date, they are sitting in a restaurant, although Asami is dressed all in white, which would portray her as quite innocent, the background is black, which shows that she is a lot more sinister underneath. Continuously the colours darken, the last scene being very red. The use of story-telling is very intelligent in this film, it links everything together so no questions are left unanswered, but it does so through dreams and suggestions, rather than it being said out loud. I did feel that the film began to drag until its bloody conclusion, and it took a long time to explain what was happening, but I also think that may have been necessary for the subjects the film deals with. This film mainly focuses on jealousy and abuse. How abuse can affect a person, and how jealousy can lead to many worse things. My dad commented that he thought Saw was much more 'disturbing'. I can see where he may be coming from, as Saw is much bloodier, but this is more the power of suggestion, and is far less fantastical than Saw. I feel that this is more disturbing the more you watch it. An absolute must for any cult fan, or true horror fan.

Brutal and Disturbingly Awesome!

Author: Chris Smith (RockPortReview) from United States
4 April 2012

Japanese auteur Takashi Miike burst into the American consciousness with this 1999 horror film. Miike cranks out the films like no one else by directing a staggering 86 titles over the last 20 years. Films like "Audition", "Ichi the Killer", "Full Metal Yakuza", and most recently the samurai epic "13 Assassins" "Audition" stars Ryo Ishibasahi as a lonely single father who decides to start dating years after the passing of his wife. The way he goes about finding this new love of his life is either brilliant or cold and heartless. One of his friends works for a movie studio and sets up an audition to interview young actresses for a non existent movie. I have to say that I'm no expert on Japanese culture, but the depiction of men and women and their roles in society makes quite a glaring message by Miike. During the audition Ishibashi's character of Aoyama looks like he is shopping for a new car rather that a woman. The last girl interviewed is Asami, a meek an introverted former ballet dancer. She is beautiful, mysterious, and Aoyama quickly becomes obsessed with her. His friend gets some serious negative vibes off her and warns him to go slow and that something is just not right with her, but he ignores him.

Aoyama calls her and they start a respectful relationship. We also get some more background on Asami as we se her in her apartment and there is indeed something not right with her. The film is well paced and intriguing throughout with a climax for the ages. The last half of this film is not for the weak of heart and/or stomach, but really does deliver the goods. Asami's past is revealed as well as what she does to Aoyama. Asami is her own women who has suffered through some serious tragedy and abuse in her past, but is still extremely disturbed.

There are several DVD editions out there and I would have to recommend the unrated and uncut version to get the full effect that Miike intended. This version is also available through Netflix Streaming. Check it Out!

One Of The Horror Horror Films Made

Author: ladymidath (ladymidath@gmail.com) from Australia
22 February 2012

I watched Audition on SBS a couple of years ago and it has become one of my favourites. At first I had no idea that it was a horror movie, I thought at first that is was a romantic film, then it went into Lynch territory then skewed straight into Agento land. The acting was powerful and the characters were in their own ways, very sympathetic. Plus there were some very disturbing imagery as well. In short this film was nothing short of completely awesome, it has a strong intelligent story and the ending is a gore filled kicker that slammed me because it was so unexpected. I have to say it is one of the best of Japans's horror films and I would rate it up there with films like St John's Wort and Another Heaven.

Very creepy and shocking

Author: orangeisthenewawesome from United States
8 August 2010

To be fair, I had heard and read quite a bit about this film before I saw it. Still, I was amused, astounded, shocked and frightened by it. The first half of the film is quite pleasant and humorous as our protagonist goes on the search for a new wife. The audition scenes are hilarious and reminiscent of over the top American Idol early rounds. From there, the film becomes suspenseful, mysterious, dark and finally, sickening.

The movie is beautifully shot and the acting is strong. The violence to me was neither too gory nor over the top to me. It's like the violence in any Tarantino film. Perhaps when it came out it was a pretty novel concept. Anyway, I highly recommend this film and guarantee you will be entertained.

Audition With Deadly Consequences

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
31 March 2010

The unconventional premise, about a man whose friend sets up and audition in order to find a suitor sounds like an interesting and entertaining idea. When someone like Takeshi Miike occupies the director's chair, one can expect the film to be not like what it initially appeared to be. That is very much the case with 'Ôdishon'. Categorized as a horror movie (even though I personally think it's more of a psychological thriller), one tends to overlook some important aspects of this cleverly layered movie.

'Ôdishon' (a.k.a. Audition) is pretty much a character study of a widower who is still in love with his wife (who died seven years ago) and when he's finally tired of being alone, he explores means to move on. Yet, his feelings towards his dead wife remain strong. Miike uses some fascinating camera-work and visuals. The soundtrack is very subtle and the editing is excellent.

'Ôdishon' also showcases Ryo Ishibashi's acting talent. This movie wouldn't have been the same without his skilled restrained performance. Eihi Shiina is very good as the enigmatic and alluring Asami, who has a hidden agenda. The supporting cast is impressive.

On the one hand, I was curious about Asami's back story and would have liked to see more of that but on the other hand, the movie is pretty much told from Aoyama's perspective and had the director chosen a different approach, its effect might have been something different. Due to its very dark theme, 'Ôdishon' clearly isn't a movie for everyone but for those looking for something more than mere entertainment, this could be something worth checking out. I might be revisit it some time.

Fun movie, then a little painful

Author: sitenoise from http://sitenoise-atthemovies.blogspot.com/
12 July 2008

The infamous needle torture is more conceptually gruesome than it appears in practice at the end of this film, but the foot amputation by wire is kick-ass-sexy-hard-to-watch.

This is a pretty normal film about a man who lost his wife to illness and is being encouraged by his colleagues and his son to find another partner. That is, until it goes bonkers at the end ... a nice manipulation technique by the director. Eihi Shiina's range of performance from ideal femininity to psycho-killer is fabulous and accounts for a sizable chunk of the shock we experience at the end of the film. You'll watch the wire part because this woman is so beautiful and the pleasure she takes in her work so adorable.

More reviews at sitenoise-atthemovies.blogspot.com

Someone forgot to take their pills this morning.

Author: Saturnfly from New Zealand
28 April 2008

Audition is hands down a good movie, made by a great director. The scenes were shot perfectly, the actors were terrific, the story-line was some what unusual but beautiful. However, this film failed to both satisfy and disturb me. The slow build-up was necessary, however they could have gone a little bit further to entertain people such like me, who get bored easily. A good film, no matter how slow or quick, it must captivate the audience from beginning to end. I found myself pausing the film and going to get something to eat on more than 1 occasion, a terrific film will starve you of reality, it wont let you leave your seat until you have watched every second of it.

I've read comments where people say they don't get it, and that it's just confusing, but the beauty with this film, is that your not supposed to understand it, or you're supposed to come to your own judgment of what is going on.

Now lets get to some scenes!

The vomit scene, didn't really irk me that much, 2 reasons, we didn't see the girl actually vomit, she came out with a bowel and some 'vomit' dripping over the side, that was pretty much the only thing that looked realistic. I'm not saying I like watching people vomit, and then other people eating it like it's just another meal, but common people, if you're going to make a film where it's supposed to disturb the viewer, make more of an effort, please.

The torture scene, well... I was rather disappointed, you see I'm a 17 year old girl, I have a pretty strong stomach and after watching that scene I was left thinking 'what the f***? is there more?' regarding some peoples comments on that certain bit, I was expecting to see her go hard out with it all, and guess what? we didn't see her do ANYTHING, just the man screeching out in pain. I don't remember blood spurting anywhere, I mean if you have seen a film like Kill Bill Vo.1, you'll understand that a severed limb can create quite the spurt. But no.

Probably the freakiest thing in this film, was when the man in the bag moved and growled or whatever it did, I knew it was going to happen, but it still makes you jump a little.

However, I did like this film, it had an uncomfortable feel to it, which I admire the director was able to pull that off, it was a very good story line, but I thought they could have done so much more with it, I was left sort of left and right.

weird ass movie

Author: babyswtness2o6 from seattle, WA
18 July 2002

this movie was kinda corny at first cuz the story line was like to audition to be this guy's wife which the girls didn't know thats what they were auditioning for. but then the girl that the guy liked was like hella mysterious. the movie was hella crazy cuz there would be scenes where you couldn't tell if it was in the past or present or the future. and i dunno..it was scary but what was up with the girl that likes to torture people?? just cuz she was tortured most of her childhood. and she was hella obssessive. she was like "love me. love only me." what the hell?

overall great movie..need some explanations though.

I'm still reeling...

Author: Sanj Surati (demonsanj@hotmail.com) from Wayne, PA
19 April 2002

I just finished watching this film, and I feel like I just stepped off a rollercoaster. The film slowly built up - you always knew something was wrong, and when it steps off the deep end it just doesn't stop. This is one of the few films I can honestly say is disturbing. I usually don't get this affected by a film. I suppose that while I was in my twenties, I never would have put up with the slow build-up to the insanity at the end, however nowadays I'm much more tolerant of films that use mood and atmosphere to pull you in. Highly recommended.