IMDb > Rejected (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Wonderfully demented!

Author: Puke Bag from Vancouver, BC
31 October 2000

From the same guy that brought us "Billy's Balloon" (the cartoon where the poor kid is being tormented by his homicidal balloon and "Ah L'amour" (where a guy is viciously torn apart by women he meets) comes "Rejected", perhaps one of the most twisted pieces of animation ever captured on film.

The end result is connection of absolutely bizarre stick-figure animated vignettes that make very little sense, although they are absolutely hilarious to watch. Through the course of the film, they progressively make less and less sense, until the animated world literally falls apart.

A huge step-up from his previous works, Dan Hertzfeldt's "Rejected" is stylistically simple, although very expressive and a huge technical achievement. And it's very, very funny. You thought the kid getting abused by his balloon in "Billy's Balloon" was funny? Wait until you see what happens when a guy wearing a normal hat walks into a room with a sign that says "Funny Hats Only."

Ohmigod, this movie is TOO funny to exist.

Author: Anthony Moore (andymoore@home.com) from Canada
29 March 2001

I don't know what Buff-17 was talking about when he submitted his review of the movie... Perhaps he had a cup of tea, and sat alone in his house with darkened lights to watch it in full surround sound...

Buff, I think you were simply looking a bit too deep.

I saw this film for the first time at Spike and Mike's film festival with a group of my friends. You aren't missing any jokes, buff - in fact, you are looking so hard you are missing the point. It is funny because it's so incredibly ridiculous.. and original.

Now then, this film is the funniest animation of all time. I laughed myself to tears (never happened before) watching the previous work, "Billy's Balloon," but this one.. by the end, I could not see the theatre screen. I was having trouble breathing.

And no, I'm not one of those annoying theatre types that bellow at the screen any time a fart joke is spoken.

This truly is an amazingly funny movie. The whole theatre was in uproar throughout most of the film. If you enjoy a good laugh, then this is a MUST SEE MOVIE.

"Rejected" is a brilliant digression

Author: thebatsignal from Gotham
8 April 2004

"Rejected" is a brilliant animated digression which is understated as it pertains to the animation, but a three ring circus that is both genius and insane with it's bizarre yet exponentially hilarious dialogue. The soundtrack is also ecclectic yet highly effective. This short receives my strongest rec. It is an aquired taste, but worthy of your mental digestion.... and with a spartan but effective runtime what do you have to lose? "My spoon is too big".... drawing with his left hand.... the instability of his cartoon world.... and the deleted seqeunce are classic.

"Rejected" (2000) = A (add + for animation fans)

Wow

Author: SemiDtachd from Connecticut
12 September 2002

Anyone who loves absurdity should watch this cartoon. I can't put it into any more simple terms. A friend of mine just showed me this film, and it blew my mind. I'm a huge fan of spontaneous/absurd/random humor. I love the work of Jhonen Vasquez, a comic book writer. This film reminds me of what might have happened had Vasquez started using animation earlier in his career, circa his "Bad Art Collection." If you are looking for deep meaning or warm emotions, go watch a drama. If you are looking for something completely different (as a certain group of British fellows who were also fond of absurdity might have said), then find or buy a copy of this and watch it. Don Hertzfeldt's "Rejected" is shocking, and it is meant to be. It also serves as a comment on commerciality and its effects on the creative spirit. But, really, the meaning is not the most important part. Some people who have commented on this movie have questioned the validity of the companies for which these "rejected" ads are supposedly made. I believe that is like going to watch Superman and saying "Ya know...I don't think Planet Krypton is real. I can't watch this." It's called "a willing suspension of disbelief." Whether or not these are REAL rejected advertisements is unimportant. Just watch the film as if they are real, and try to imagine how you'd react if you saw such an ad on a Family-based channel. That is really the only joke there is to get. If you can get through that, there is no doubt that Hertzfeldt's simple cartoons and their absurd and brief lives will make you laugh, and can make you enjoy your own life in our absurd world. Somewhere in between "Un Chien Andalou" and "Ren and Stimpy" lies "Rejected", an amazing piece of surreal animated bliss.

A genius work of beautifully orchastrated weirdness

Author: Spencer Barnes (isoapprove@pacbell.net) from Los Angeles, CA
4 September 2002

This is one of the most wonderful pieces of filmaking ever. And I don't mean that in a sarcastic sense. The happiness I felt through those 9 minutes can be surpassed by very little, except Waiting for Guffman. I recommend watching this with your closest friends because if they are as twisted as you are they will appreciate along with you.

Hertzfeldt creates a wondeful tapestry of stick-figured scenes that makes you want to just stare in bewildered joy for hours. Anyone who does not appreciate this film is not worthy to live. How could you not love this movie, the spoon...it was too big...if he tried to eat the cereal...it wouldn't work...and there was a banana. He was wearing a normal hat...he was beat. It's genius...he was a consumer whore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See this movie first thing tomorrow, you'll really be glad you could partake in this twisted bit of life, which reminds me of something I would dream up with my friends in a moment of extreme boredom.

Possibly the funniest film I've seen

Author: mjm347 from United States
28 January 2005

When I first saw this film, it was with all the other Oscar-nominated short films for 2000, animated and live action. The set took about 2.5 hours to get through, and being the cream of the crop from the year, these were some brilliant, well polished movies, though I was ready to be done. The last film was Rejected. The opening sequence is simply the word "REJECTED" in a typewriter font shaking around as though it had been shot on a hand-held 8mm camera held by someone on speed, and the music, an orchestra at full tilt. Instantly, I knew something was different. Within 40 more seconds, my friend and I were doubled over in our seats and crying from laughter. I bought the DVD as soon as it was available to share with all of my friends and that disc has been played more than all of my other DVDs combined (I particularly enjoyed the director's commentary). It confuses a lot of people but elates the rest, but everyone can appreciate the last two minutes as a great piece of animated film.

Possibly the greatest short?

Author: thelittlecheez from maidstone, england
27 October 2003

I went round my friend's house once, and he showed me this cartoon. It is possibly one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Right from the beginning, we see something so wonderfully non-sensicle, as a cartoon boy holding a large spoon, ranting 'my spoon is too big', and then a banana enter and state that he is a banana. The general idea of the film is that it is a series of adverts made for the family learning channel, and various different food products, which were rejected. As the film goes on, we see Don's confidence in creating cartoons gradually fall, as he descents into madness, drawing cartoons with his left hand with bizarre backwards talking, until eventually, his world collapses. The funniest part is probably where we see a fluffy cloud type thing preaching about how great everything is. His anus then starts to bleed and eventually he is washed away by the blood. I urge anyone with a sense of humour to get hold of this short, as there is a good chance you could wet yourself watching it.

great.

Author: Beth McKinney (beth_mckinney) from austin, tx
28 March 2004

i saw this the first time at the spike and mike festival in austin... i could not stop laughing. nobody else could stop laughing. i was holding my face because it hurt so much from laughing. if you are one who thinks that good old clean jokes about anything crossing any roads, no, this may not be for you. but if you have a sense of humour, and would like to see something new and different, then please watch this. i've seen it a few times since then (it's been a few years) and laugh just as hard every time. if you do enojoy it, make sure to check out some of his other clips.

Hilarious

Author: Vetteman22 from NY
14 July 2003

If you like absurdly funny movies, you'll love this. It's completely random, amazingly creative, and just plain funny as all hell. As for some of the negative comments, the "fake commercial" premise is not supposed to be confusing; it's just funny to see disturbed cartoons followed by a Family Learning Channel tag. Trust me, watch this, and you won't be disappointed

You'll either love it or hate it, but it's superb as a test of your sense of humor

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
9 October 2004

Rejected (nominated for an Academy Award) is quite simply one of the most stupid, insane pieces of American animation to come in this new decade. There's no plot, just a series of little animated short films by Don Hertzfeldt, an animator who wanted to get some commercial spots with his ads. The result is what's before you, what was entirely rejected, yet repackaged here for the public. Some shorts involve almost nothing at all (albeit with a surprising words from the creatures), others involve surreal images of talking bananas, weird dancing things, and an bleeding incident.

The first time I saw this film, it was a very funny way to kill ten minutes. I watched it with an audience at my university, and almost all of us were cracking up. But then when I watched it again with other friends, I didn't laugh as hard, and they didn't laugh at all. So really, besides the aesthetic interest in the film (sometimes the animation starts to deconstruct on itself, with repeated scribblings put to focus), it's a very subjective viewing. You can either lose yourself in the ridiculousness and catch phrases, or be completely turned off by the lengths to which is wants you to laugh. But it is very memorable, and it's the kind of film I want to see again in several months to a year, when it will be even fresher.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]