IMDb > The Matrix Reloaded (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Matrix Reloaded

The Matrix Reloaded More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 280: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Classy Movie

Author: bhrt93-138-649508
20 October 2014

This one is a gem of a movie done with real class. The Matrix was the movie that redefined action in cinema. However, this movie had dialogues that were very differently philosophical. This movie added definition to what the matrix really was.

The character of the The Architect was something that was very well-done. He was the soul of this movie. However, the dialogue of The Architect and concept of the movie is strongly inspired from UG Krishnamurti.

UG Krishnamurti is a famed philosopher of the 1970-80's and who has lived in the United States after moving there from India in around the 1950s and is noted for having a very unique/different perspective towards god and science.

The concept of The Matrix is very strongly inspired from the views of this gentleman.

Groundbreaking and exciting

Author: henryjamescroft from united kingdom
14 June 2014

After watching the matrix I instantly fell in love with the concept and the film but once the release date was made available for part two I couldn't help but get excited and this is not normally a good thing, building a film up in your head 99% of the time will end in disappointment , but this was not the case with reloaded.

From start to finish I couldn't take my eyes off the screen the story line is epic, the special effects where even better than the first film and Neros growing powers being demonstrated are what every little boy dreams about.

This is a film that sits in my top five of all time and that's something considering how many films I have watched over the years.

Zion Disappointing but Great Car Chase

Author: SnoopyStyle
15 January 2014

It's a little while after The Matrix. Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) believes that Neo (Keanu Reeves) is the key to defeating the machines. Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) is now with Neo. Meanwhile the machines have start digging, and will breach Zion in 72 hours. Also Agent Smith is now free from the code and is even more powerful.

It's a good start to the second installment of the series from the Wachowski brothers. There's a ticking clock. It's leading to a big battle. We're going to see Zion for the first time. Agent Smith is even more powerful. But then we get to Zion.

Zion is a sweaty mess. And for people with 72 hours to live, these people go have a dance party. Instead of great running battles, the first half is a very, very excruciatingly slow grind. The program world has some interesting ideas, but that also gets too slow at times. There are too many slow expositions. There is generally too much talking and not enough doing.

I still love the kung fu fighting. The addition of the twins is quite nice. The first fight against the Agent Smiths is a disappointment. It turns into a CGI video game. That's never been cool in a movie to keep switching from real stunts to CG animation cartoons. Other fights are much better. Even the later fight against the Agent Smiths is pretty good.

The best part is the big highway chase. That is an amazing bit of movie-making. It's a super fun time.

And I like Colonel Sanders. He's uniquely original. He's certainly memorable.

Overall the first half is a major drag. The movie gets better in the second half. It's a disappointing sequel, but still has great sequences.

A daring and innovative film, but a bit too heady for most.

Author: pedofski-radar-cole from LA
11 June 2011

"The Matrix Reloaded" is an ode to the highs and lows of sheer wretched excess. There's an incredible amount of what can only be called overload here - too much extemporizing, too much pop philosophy, and too much bloat. But the action here really is too much - in the best way possible - and that saves this movie. "The Matrix Reloaded" begins with an overwrought and over-philosophized first act, mostly set in the "real world." We see the last human city, Zion, which is a giant cave set deep within the Earth. In retrospect, I suppose the over-the-top action sequences set in the Matrix, and the whole sequence with the Merovingian are just as bloated as the tedious first act, which is set in the "real world" of Zion. However, there's a critical difference: the Matrix is a cool place to be, and the "real world" looks a one-way trip to chronic depression. All this made me wonder why the humans were at war to save Zion from the machines who control the Matrix. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to defeat the machines, take over the Matrix, and plug everyone back in so they can stop living the Soylent Green lifestyle of Zion and start living the good life? Still, with all the brilliant, groundbreaking action any movie fan could want, "The Matrix Reloaded" is ultimately a rewarding film.

The saga continues... wait, what saga?

Author: asiduodiego from Valparaíso, Chile
20 March 2011

Matrix: Reloaded, the highly anticipated sequel to "Matrix", is the prime example of a movie that didn't need to be made, but, it was anyway. The result is just a train-wreck of pretentiousness and visually exhausting sequences which fail to entertain. Yeah, in the first movie the "slow-mo" sequences were interesting, now it feels like the movie is just ripping itself.

What's the problem with this movie?. The Matrix was a rather unoriginal, but fine movie, with some minor issues, such as over-pretentiousness and self-indulgence: Matrix Reloaded is blown out with these problems. The dialog is dull and pretentious, the "plot" (spoilers!) is a pointless search which is supposed to "resolve everything" and then, it doesn't... but there's a last minute cliffhanger... That's pretty lame.

The main problem with the plot is that Neo isn't a good protagonist anymore. He was fine when he was "learning to unleash his powers", but now he's a "super-human", so all the tension surrounding him inside the matrix evaporates: the best "action" scenes are those in which Neo isn't there, such as the infamous "highway chase", which ends with, you guessed it, Neo coming and saving everyone. That's the reason why this movie shouldn't have been made. The "Neo-cycle" was completed and closed in the first movie: the story of a guy being a "super-human" is not as interesting as the story of a guy becoming a "super-human", unless you craft a creative story... which the directors just didn't.

Why this movie was somewhat well received, then?. I can think in two reasons: 1) The visuals were somewhat impressive 2) Had a cliffhanger at the end... and that's it. I remember that the Internet was swarming with "theories about the Matrix", after this movie was released: that there's a "Matrix inside the Matrix", and such. But then, came the next movie... and surprise: the emperor was naked.

An enjoyable film that you may or may not find annoying and unnecessary

Author: boiled_elephant from United Kingdom
24 June 2010

I'm not going to bother recounting the plot direction of The Matrix Reloaded. There are two reasons for this: first, it's up there in the 'plot' section, and second, it's actually not relevant to whether or not you like (or will like) this film. Allow me to explain.

Watched on its own merit, Reloaded isn't terrible; I dare say it's quite good. It even has little glimmers of genuine brilliance. The extraordinary backlash against it was less because of its actual content and more because of its existence at all: The Matrix was such a standalone unit in everybody's mind that any sequel could only have felt like a clunky shift from single film to serialisation. I tested my own intuitions on this by asking myself what would have constituted a good, non-disappointing sequel to The Matrix and realised that nothing would have met the mark. We were always going to feel that one of our modern classics had been violated to some degree.

There's much that's good about Reloaded, not least the exposition and development of the inner workings of the Matrix and AI. Smith's character gets a working over and becomes, if possible, even more interesting: the unsettling discrepancy between him and the other agents and his relentless, unfathomable-even-to-him desire for freedom from his own system and nature, are picked up from the first film and fleshed out, so to speak. There's a much broader cast and much of the supporting acting is excellent: Anthony Zerbe as the head Councillor in Zion stood out for me. His small, quiet scenes escaped my notice entirely at first, because first time round I was impatient to see more relevant things happening, but on repeat viewings they're welcome changes of pace.

However, there are teething problems. Tank (Marcus Chong), everybody's favourite operator in The Matrix and a generally fantastic character, has no appearance; his replacement is Link, played by Harold Perinneau, who I'd previously encountered playing Michael in Lost. He annoyed me more in this film than in that series, because whereas Lost shoehorned him into the Angry Black Man stereotype for a long time before giving him some real characterisation Reloaded seems content to ignore his abilities as an actor entirely and use him primarily for comic relief during tenser moments. Someone narrowly escapes death: back in his control room, Link squeals with relief; that sort of thing. It's a matter of personal taste, but I could have handled him being a more serious character.

I can only talk about acting for so long before mentioning Keanu Reeves, and it's that time again. Keanu is all over this film. He ramps it up here with love scenes, meditative dialogues (in which the aforementioned Anthony Zerbe, among others, sort of draws attention to Keanu by out-acting him considerably) and a small handful of one-liners. If you have a serious Keanu allergy, you simply won't be able to enjoy this film. Whereas in The Matrix his stiff, quiet style was in-character for the stiff, confused pre-enlightenment Neo, Reloaded has him take centre place as the hero of the film and if you can't stand watching him act then it's probably not worth your time. Personally, he's starting to grow on me.

I mentioned love scenes. Romance plays a bigger part in this film, which for my money is a bad thing because it's never really been the Wachowski brothers' forté. The first film had kind of a weird relationship with...relationships, with Neo and Trinity ostensibly falling in love after a few weeks of tense, brief exchanges in cars and between gunfights. Reloaded continues their bizarre, silent courtship. The subplot of their relationship is central to the story, so it pops up again and again, but it never seems to bring the film's better moments: wherever love is concerned, the script seems to take a break, and most of the romantic dialogue feels clunky and forced. You may experience it differently. But just so you're forewarned, you will hear Keanu Reeves utter the phrase, "I love you too damn much".

On a happier note, there are a ton of new antagonists, all of whom are extremely fun to watch; Morpheus takes a close-to-centre role again, getting a lot of the screen time and doing awesome things with it; and though it probably doesn't need mentioning, the action sequences are a joy to watch. Cars are crashed, lorries explode, bullets fly, doors melt in slow motion, and it's generally action fodder of the highest calibre. The sound effects team went a little overboard, with every slightest movement of a sword being punctuated by a 'shhiinng!' and that bassy bullet-time noise filling roughly half the film - the rest being filled by over-the-top orchestral climaxes - but it's not experience-breaking.

Ultimately, though, these are secondary concerns. Your ability to enjoy this film will hinge on whether or not you feel The Matrix *needed* a sequel. The comment I hear most often about Reloaded is that it just didn't need to happen; if that's how you feel about it, you'll probably find Reloaded annoying and disappointing, at least at first, despite the fact that it's really quite good. If that was your experience at the cinema and you haven't watched it since, though, give it another chance.

HELP! I'm in some techno-club nightmare - get me OUT!!!

Author: U.N. Owen from NYC
29 March 2010

THE MATRIX was an important movie, in that it was the 1st movie to usher in, and (CORRECTLY!) use the (at the time) new CGI on such a massive level.

It WAS a visually breath-taking film.

Due to the age-old 'bean-counters' who saw the money rolling in, they said 'hey - let's milk this 'Matrix' for as much as possible.' I'm sure that if given enough time to fully work out a coherent story that furthers the story of the first film, and expands on the CGI effects, the two subsequent films RELOADED, and REVOLUTIONS could have been something AWESOME.

As it is.....they're not. Enough time's passed since these film were released to look at them NOT through rose-tinted specs, and be honest in critiquing them.

One film franchise to compare the MATRIX trilogy with is the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy. Both of these film-trilogy's had similar backgrounds to work with - a large cast that was needed (for the most part) to be available for an extended filming period, and complicated stories that - while they all link together, should also be able to hold up independently. They both involved creating largely artificial worlds for their stories. These films also were made in the same part of the decade, but where one succeeds, the others falls apart. As I said - I'm speaking with that wonderful ability; HIND-SIGHT.

The 2 MATRIX follow-ups continue the 1st film's story (yes, everyone's familiar with it; humanity lost a war with the machines, they're kept alive for their use of 'energy' the machines need, and some humans - realising that the world's an illusion, try to fight back).

Alfred Hitchcock explained that he used a 'macguffin' to propel his stories - that is, something everyone watching the film THINKS is the MAIN point of the story, but it's really just a ruse for what's REALLY going on.

I bring Hitchcock up because the latter-2 MATRIX films contain so many 'macguffins - so much padding, that if this 'fat' was trimmed off, what would be left COULDN'T sustain the 3 films, but COULD (maybe) sustain 1 LONG, or 2 films.

A prime example of this padding is the infamous extended 'rave' sequence in this film. A scene that goes on far too long, and (honestly) doesn't move the story ahead. It's the film equivalent of being given a 1000-word paper to write, and after finding your short by a lot, starting to add MORE adjectives, repeating these pointless adjectives (e.g.; Mount Everest is a very, very, very, VERY tall mountain...').

And where the first MATRIX film's use of 'bullet-time' caused many jaws to drop, there is no radically new/different effect in the succeeding 2 films use of CGI. I know that there are going to be many who take offence at what I'm saying - missing the whole, deep 'meaning,' but I'm NOT discussing the MESSAGE, I'm discussing HOW that message was DELIVERED.

It also seems that by the time they film makers got around to making REVOLUTIONS and RELOADED, the box office on the first film being as big as it was, decided to 'amp-up' the product placements' - the eye wear especially.

Many critics have said how this film is a good film for Keanu Reeves' (limited) emotional range. It's sad, but, even Keanu seems like he's wading in muck. It's cartoon acting to an extreme, and when all is said and done, both RELOADED and REVOLUTIONS will NOT be remembered as much as the first film will be.

It doesn't matter which pill you take ,The truth is already out there

Author: mulder44 from Alexandria, Egypt
13 November 2003

The Matrix Trilogy will remain one of the most argument's raiser between critics ,movie geeks ,mainstream Audience,the loyal fans and the matrix's philosophy believers ,Every group pf those has what it love and what it hates ,With exchanging opinions and theories ,But above all that we have to confess that the Matrix movies in general is among the most important movies created in the history of cinema ,I will discuss my reasons later in this review .

The first movie ended in Neo(Keanu Reeves) defeating the agents and causing temporary failure in the Matrix (That's my analysis) ,The Matrix Reloaded picks up the events in recent point to the previous events ,Neo and Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss)now are officially lovers ,Along with Morpheus(Laurence Fishburne) they are teaming back ,They are waiting for the Oracle's prophecy to be fulfilled ,While Neo is having a repeating dreams where he sees Trinity is fighting in the Air with one of the agents and gets hit in her chest with lethal bullet and here the dream ends ,He seems concerned about his dreams and actually fearing them ,Obviously because he knows that he is The One so this can not be a normal dream ,It can be simply another prophecy waiting to take place sooner or later ,On the other hand we get to now that the machines decided to launch the ultimate war against the remaining humans in the last human city (Zion) ,The Sentinels are digging their way to Zion and there is only 72 hours left till they reach the walls of Zion ,Neo goes to see the Oracle who tells him to find the Keymaker who has access to the Mainframe of The Matrix system ,But the problem is that the Keymaker is being held by a the mysterious Merovingian(Lambert Wilson) ,The group go and meet him ,He seems in full knowledge of their purpose and simply refuses to let them have the Keymaker ,But Neo pays the Merovingian's Wife(The Ultra Beautiful Monica Bellucci) in a very special currency and she offers her help in return to let them find the Keymaker ,And the story goes from here.

Actually the problem with The Matrix in general that it's Huge multi layered world ,Actually a unique world created completely with details of it's own ,To make full understanding of this world you need several things ,One of them is the analytical ability to tie all the different keys and events together to form some vision about what's really happening ,But your primal vision may be blurring at the beginning ,That's due to a very important fact is that you simply can not view each one of the three movies like individual segments ,They are completely integral and viewing them as one unit is necessary to get the full picture ,Another thing which actually is somewhat strange is that you have to have some background of Computer Sciences in general to make assumption for yourself and to understand completely the other assumptions introduced by it's creators (Especially in RELOADED) ,Another problem is the deep philosophy which wasn't suitable for all the viewer's especially among the Mainstream Audience ,But it actually depends on your willing to believe or at least to give yourself the chance to make a deep thinking about the ideas which the movie discuses ,But it also was confusing for the most heavy minded viewers ,Thus needed to wait till the third installment arrives .

On the technical side RELOADED is simply a marvelous achievement in the Cinema's History ,I am not giving overhype or something ,But I am giving this statement based on close inspection and multiple watchings ,The Special Effects were amazing ,Many people complained that there is nothing new after the bullet time which was introduced in the first film ,But this is not right because simply the Bullet Time was not only a technique ,It was an INVENTION and inventions doesn't happen all the time ,What the Wachowskis done is improving it and it really were tweaked in RELOADED but some viewers didn't get rid off the feeling that they have seen the Bullet Time many many times before ,But this has nothing to do with the Wachowskis ,They have invented it and many entertainment forms ripped it from them ,Ranging from another movies to piles of Video Clip Songs!! ,Actually the fight scene where we watch neo fighting swarms of Agent Smiths really proves that there are no limits for what they can do ,The other scene is the Car chase scene which leaves you breathless during it's running time ,I haven't filled that there were overusing of the special effects at all ,You know they are in the Matrix world where no earthly rules are governing the characters ,And so the amazing fights were necessary to symbolize that ,The other elements like editing and musical score passed the test efficiently ,Another superior elements are the Decoration,Design and costume ,Put in the right places to support the feeling of the old comics as a reflection of the overall atmosphere of unreality surroundings their existence .

The wachowskis hits hard and solid this time ,With very generous budget from the producers they had a plenty of time and space to introduce what they want to say ,At some points of the movie you wonder about them ,And how brilliant they are forming their ideas ,Their vision is marked for having no borders ,You are in some point in the movie and making anticipations or guessing about the forthcoming events ,they surprises you with ultimately different things ,And keeps doing this till you give up and stop making pre assumptions ,And this leads us to discuss some aspects about The Matrix's World and the impact it have done on the cinema's Audience ,The problems that many complained about actually are several problems ,One of them is the Zion's people and their appearances but we have to be frank ,The movie is about a world where the machines is controlling it and only one place is left for al the surviving humans so what do you expect from them? do you expect them to be clean and shaven and wears the latest fashion models?! ,About the mass sex scene I think it was designed beautifully ,Just look where Neo And Trinity were making it and you will notice that the place is designed in a Womb like shape ,It gives a reference for the creation of the humanity and the mass sex itself can be explained as human touch in a world threatened to be void of humans within few hours ,It has been known that human beings in times of danger tends naturally to seek the warmth of other humans companion and this takes the form of the sexual festival we've seen ,The techno musical score accompanying it reflects the artificial nature of their surroundings ,For these reasons I always thought about the whole scene as effective and necessary in the development process of RELOADED.

Other people simply complained that the movie become very complicated ,That's may be right for the most of Mainstream Audience ,The whole trilogy needs an open min willing to give a deep thinking sessions in order to get the message ,And personally I think that many people of whom didn't like this movie were simply because they haven't understood it or simply thought about it as nonsense due to the large and heavy dose of philosophical battles ,Another people hated RELOADED because they had solid grounds based on the first Matrix movie ,Actually one Reloaded Excellency points came from taking the story in a whole new level and so it destroyed all of our beliefs granted from the first Matrix movie

'Not Getting' a movie is no badge of shame

Author: Dave Muse from Dearborn, MI
9 November 2003

Great wrap-up to the series. An amazing movie, both visually and story-wise.

Look, I'm the first to admit that I 'don't get' movies like 'Gone With the Wind' and 'Pride And Prejudice' (I've never been able to sit through either movie.) Despite my lack of understanding, I would not dispute that they are great movies. So 'not getting' a movie doesn't mean there is something wrong with the viewer, or the movie.

That's the case with this movie, and with the Matrix franchise. They are all good movies, expertly crafted, and with their own unique vision. Just not everyone's cup of tea, is all.

The Rabbit Hole is deeper than you thought!

Author: raadki86 from Hagen, Germany
9 November 2003

It is amazing how many bad ratings and comments you hear of this movie. But it is obvious why. Everybody who saw "The Matrix", was so excited because it was a big surprise, but most important there were no expectations of that first movie. Everybody who saw "The Matrix" expected "Reloaded" to be so much better and so incredible that they forgot to think realistic of this movie. So it should have been obvious that it was impossible to top the first movie, but it was possible to hang on it somehow. Gaeta's Visual Effects are again incredible and amazing, they are definitely better than in the first one. Neo is doing things that are unbelievable, but somehow normal because he's "The One", and "The One", the anomaly of the Matrix, is able to do anything in the Matrix. Smith is back, and he is not any longer an agent of the Matrix, there is a mystic connection between him and Neo, that you will know when you see the third part of the trilogy. Trinity would give anything for Neo and Morpheus is just as cool and strong as in the first part. The Machines are digging. There is no time to breathe while watching the movie. Watch the Animatrix and play Enter The Matrix to get some background knowledge, and it is important to see "Reloaded" several times to understand it and to see the details, that made me love the movie just as I did the first one. It is a great instalment of the Matrix cult. Free your mind and you will love it. 10 out of 10 rating points. Like I said, no time for breathe while watching it.