IMDb > The Matrix Reloaded (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Matrix Reloaded

The Matrix Reloaded More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 279: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

The worst movie ever

Author: e0101196 from Finland
25 May 2003

The theatre was fully packed with people, me and couple of my friends.

The whole movie was so unbelievable s**t that I 'm amazed people didn't leave the theatre after the intro.

What the hell was that rave party crap? What the hell was all that amateur dialogue? Why the love scenes? Childrens movie? Breasts? Sex? I like it generally, but not in this movie, a total garbage compared to the first movie.

The longest movie trailer in history. Or was it the ad for no. 3? So bad it hurt.

Author: sfknight from Italy
25 May 2003

I was hit in the solar plexus by the first film. A gut reaction to a fantastic plot and state of the art effects and design. No. 2 was such a letdown. Words with no meaning, players in search of a plot, effects that looked slapped together that went on and on and on and on and on and on and on. Neo as Superman. Come now you guys. You can keep no. 3 for yourselves. I admire and respect the work of Messrs. Reeves, Fishburne, Weaving, Moss and Co. but am amazed they took part in something as flat and one dimensional as no. 2 became. I was really looking forward to this and after about 10 minutes could not wait for it to end. It could have been so good. All the elements were there. What happened?

I hate to be a party-pooper, but "Matrix Reloaded" is a bore!

Author: Julio Luzardo (j_luzardo@hotmail.com) from Bogota, Colombia
13 May 2003

It's very probable that I'm not in the right age category to review this film (the 10 to 30-35 age group), which is probably one of this year's most eagerly awaited films, but I found it even more of a bore than the first one. At least in the first one some of the special effects were ground-breaking, but they've been so over-used in the interim in other features and in commercials that this time around they seem old-hat. And since there's not too much of a story-line to interest viewers it becomes just a matter of waiting to go from one action scene to the other. And at that, one of the longest scenes in the film is a fight on top of one extremely loooong truck speeding full throttle along one of L.A.'s murderous freeways which seems to last hours instead of the normal minutes! It's a shame that Hollywood can't find something better to do with all of the millions of dollars that seem to float in its rarified air. Barely a 5 out of 10.

Overwhelming and spectacular second part with some of the best action scenes ever made

Author: ma-cortes
25 December 2011

This exciting sequel is full of thrills , cutting-edge visuals, stylist innovations , fights , tension , suspense and groundbreaking races , but also several commercial elements , including computer-simulated violence . This is a dynamic, fast-paced and amusing movie , though overlong . It's an enjoyable , if somewhat light-headed piece of escapism with state-of-art special effects and straightforward screenplay . Big-budgeted film by the great producer Joel Silver led to break into the booming Sci-Fi/adventure/fantasy market plenty of inventiveness and imagination . Full of action, it's complemented by rousing scenes , breathtaking flights and struggles are spotlights . It deals with Neo (Keanu Reeves) ¨who is thought to be the chosen one¨ and the rebel leaders estimate that they have 72 hours until 250,000 probes discover Zion and destroy it and its inhabitants. During this, Neo has to decide how he can save Trinity (Carrie-Anne Moss) from a dark fate in his dreams and he must find Merovingian (Lambert Wilson who is accompanied by a gorgeous Monica Bellucci). It is a dark time for the world in this second adventure. The epic war between man and machine reaches a thundering crescendo : the Zion military, aided by courageous civilian volunteers and led by councillor Hamann (Anthony Zerbe) desperately battle to hold back the marauding Sentinel invasion from overtaking the last human fortress . Neo, Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne) and Trinity race against time and are advised by the Oracle (Gloria Foster) to encounter the Keymaker (Randall Kim) who would help them reach the Source. While the human city of Zion is preparing for the oncoming war with the machines with very little chances of survival. The city , the last outpost of humanity , is defended by valiant warriors (Harry Lennix, Gina Torres , Nora Gaye) against the massive invasion of the machines to save the humanity as Neo fights to end the war at another front while also opposing the rogue Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving).

This is an action-packed, booming following with some of the best vehicles scenes ever filmed , including awesome visual effects by John Gaeta. This thrilling movie contains impressive fights , chills , breathtaking designs , dense philosophy and many other things . From the beginning to the end the comic-book action-packed and extreme violence is continued and it's fast movement ; for that reason the picture is pretty amusing ; furthermore contains lots of car crashes on a California freeway and spectacular combats in mart arts style staged by Yue Woo Ping who also made ¨Kill Bill¨ and ¨Crouching tiger, hidden dragon¨ . Contrived beyond belief with spectacular races that play like video games , but slickly calculated to please 2000s audiences . Moving and pulsing musical score by Don Davis . Magnificent , glamorous production design by Owen Paterson . Colorful and imaginative cinematography by Bill Pope . The motion picture is stunningly written , produced and directed by Larry and Andy Wachowski-The Wachowski Brothers- .

The following to this futuristic saga results to be ¨Matrix Revolutions¨ in which takes place the final battle between machines and humans ; it holds similar artistic and technician team . And being preceded by the classic ¨Matrix¨ in which Neo aware the world he is living in is an illusion maintained by machines that have taken over earth .

simply a money making machine

Author: gwyn jones from st.asaph
22 May 2003

The original Matrix was a stunning sleeper hit, it came out of nothing and hit us right between the eyes. Matrix Reloaded came to us with very heavy expectations on its shoulders and with a heavy heart I have to admit it does not deliver. Worse still, it started to make me think again about the original Matrix - was that film actually that great?

Matrix Reloaded suffers from the same problem as Blade 2, there is frankly too much CGI in the film and some scenes seem to drag on for ages (Neo meeting the Architect - zzzzzzzzzzz). True, the car chase sequence is astounding and that does make Reloaded worth seeing but the fight sequences seem dull and flat and frankly at the end of the film you wished that they had died and that Julia Roberts and Kermit the Frog would star in Matrix 3.

However, if you do go and see it in the cinema, please don't laugh at the people who come in their leather coats thinking they look like Neo. They need help. They don't look cool, they just look a bit sweaty and smelly. An apt description of Reloaded, it simply tries to hard and it somehow missed the point.

Why did there have to be a sequel?

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
15 March 2006

When the original "Matrix" came out, it was so new; when the sequel came out, it was truly a rehash. There's nothing here that we didn't see in the original. It's just an excuse to have a bunch of special effects. Of course, summer, 2003, saw a number of unmemorable sequels (most of which I fortunately didn't see) - not to mention several worthless remakes. I didn't see part 3, but I heard that it was even worse. The Wachowski brothers have hopefully decided to put this franchise to rest, and Keanu Reeves is really going to have to find something new. All in all, "The Matrix Reloaded" is ridiculous. I don't know why they had to go and make a sequel.

Kung-fu fun; Sci-fi nightmare

Author: Frank C. Papaycik (fpapaycik) from Haddonfield, New Jersey, USA
25 May 2003

As a fan of Science-fiction movies, I have been aware of The Matrix since its release in 1999. From the little bit I would allow people to tell me about it, I assumed it was highly original and sophisticated. I am also a devotee of Alice in Wonderland. I could never quite figure out how I missed The Matrix when it was released. With the imminent release of The Matrix Reloaded, it was time to buy the DVD and watch it.

The disappointment was too great. The premise of the matrix (the controlling device as opposed to the movie) was clever. The philosophical premise of parallel worlds, alternate realities is shopworn. However, I could still have bought into the film, as science-fiction, if it stayed firmly in that genre. Unfortunately, it turned into a standard, "will they or won't they escape, break through, rescue those in need of rescue, etc." To make matters worse, it turned out to be another martial arts exercise. The problem is that science-fiction and martial arts films are really two different types. To the purest, the devotee of one or the other, mixing the two doesn't work. It is like mixing science-fiction with romance. You can have one or the other, but not both in the same film, or, at least, not both to the same extent in the same movie.

If there were such problems with The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded really compounded the problems. At least thirty minutes of the film were either martial arts sequences or the protracted car-chase. (This observation ignores the question, made in every professional, negative review of the movie: If Neo could do the Superman thing, why bother to fight at all? The answer, of course, is that's what draws the young, male demographic group into the theatre.) Then there is the "redemption through love" aspect. That plot device was worn out by Richard Wagner over a hundred years ago. It was actually handled better by him in Die Gotterdammerung.

So where does that leave those who saw the Matrix Reloaded. Martial arts fans probably groaned through the trite, but arcane sci-fi philosophizing. Science fictions fans were wondering why they were sitting through a kung-fun fest. Most of the males in the audience where probably bored by the silly romance aspect of the film.

Just what are you supposed to be getting for your bucks when you see The Matrix franchise films: Science fiction, martial arts, or soap opera? A bit of each does not make for a whole lot more of any of them, nor for a satisfying film for the afficionados of each.

Reload. But wait for the explosion.

Author: Forseti_UK
30 November 2003

To begin: this is half a movie. To comment on half of a picture is pretty difficult. Those that dismiss this as another Phantom Menace should sit tight for the conclusion.

Having said that, Reloaded has amazed, enlightened and overwhelmed me. To go through each scene, character & word would take weeks, more then 1000 words and would only interest those few die-hard fans.

The only thing to say is that of my love for the complete trilogy.

It is inevitable.

"Matrix 2" proceeds the franchise further and on new level".

Author: yashrajs536 from India
20 August 2015

I watched "The matrix reloaded" last night and it was good. It fall short from the first one at some points but the action injected in this installment is just awesome.

The first one didn't included action much but this one was awesome like the action scenes on highway and also others. And also the installment has taken the franchise to a new but satisfying level. While watching that film I never felt that it was unsatisfied film it was a total worthy installment of a great film.

Keanu reeves was good as "Neo (The One)" and also other stars were good at their places. Villain J. Smith (machine) is back and Moe he is shown as very powerful which was awesome .

The direction and action sequences are the heart of this film as the story falls somewhat short as compared to the first one.

Overall a 95% worthy installment....

Summarizes the Entire Trilogy

Author: Reviewer746
5 August 2015

This is the only Matrix film for which I have written a review simply because I think it is the best of the three. Reloaded wasn't always my favorite Matrix film. Like most people, I saw the second installment in a trilogy as a sort of filler - a bridge linking the introduction and climactic conclusion. But having re-watched this film a couple times now, I can confidently say that it is the most intriguing, most entertaining, and most relevant film in the series.

The first film is an introduction. It draws you in but predictably leaves many things to be revealed for later sequels. Of course, that film is a masterpiece in its own right. But Reloaded is where it all comes together. Here, we are introduced formally to the dichotomy between the Merovingian's determinism and Neo's self-determination - between the Architect's philosophy of total control and Smith's futile anarchy.

Putting aside the gaping plot hole which is thermodynamics, the Matrix is a series rife with plot holes of all sort. If you devote even a modicum of thought to it, you will easily discover them in multitude. But, at the end of the day you will find that the purpose of the Matrix trilogy is not in the detail. The purpose of the trilogy is two fold: Firstly, to treat philosophical arguments with the establishment of a seemingly non-autonomous context (the Matrix itself). Secondly, to entertain with spectacular action sequences. The brilliance of these films is the coupling of the two - intense action and martial arts with philosophical commentary. Reloaded succeeds on both fronts.

I find it surprising that many reviewers thought the Architect scene was boring or out of place when it is probably the most critical part of the entire trilogy and, in my opinion, one of the most interesting scenes in cinematic history. The revelation that Zion and the resistance is just another form of control is at the crux of the plot (and critical for explaining away many of the plot holes in the first movie).

What I love the most about this film is that it really forces the viewer to engage the brain. The dialogue can be ignored as slow time between action sequences in the first and third movies, but to understand what's going on here you really have to pay attention. To summarize, if you're viewing the Matrix trilogy as a collection of action sequences, you're really missing out on a lot that the films have to offer.