IMDb > Baran (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Baran

Baran More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A slow but lovely Iranian parable

Author: David (davidals@msn.com) from Chapel Hill, NC, USA
18 September 2003

*Spoiler alert*

BARAN centers around 17-year-old Latif (Hossein Abedini), the cook and gofer at a Teheran construction site. He's initially angered when he is replaced by Rahman (Zahra Bahrami), the son of an injured Afghani co-worker, until he discovers that his colleague's son is actually his daughter in disguise. Most of the workers at the site are illegal immigrants from Afghanistan (Afghan refugees are legally blocked from entering the Iranian job market), and are in continual jeopardy of losing their jobs in the event of a sudden illness or a sudden visit from government building inspectors. Latif has discovered Rahman's true identity by the time the inevitable moment of crisis arrives, and surrenders to an unrequited crush on Baran, propelling him towards a selflessness which at first seems surprising, as Latif is seen as hot tempered and a bit selfish at the beginning of BARAN.

Latif's eye-opening introduction to the desperate conditions in which she lives definitely makes this transformation more plausible. The ever-present subtext - the state of life in Taliban-era Afghanistan, the exodus of the Afghan work force from the country, and the plight of Afghan refugees abroad – gives the romantic side of the story urgency, and perhaps makes the rather unreal Latif seem considerably more realistic, or even politically daring. The camera work throughout BARAN is also exceptional - the construction site is captured in great detail through the graceful and uncluttered cinematography (by Mohammad Davudi), the harshness of Teheran's environment (this film features some of the most effective use of rain, snow and fog this side of a Kurosawa epic) is casually ever-present, and serves to underscore the intensity of the story, and the scenes set in the Afghan refugee settlement are uncomplicated in their minimal beauty, and are consistently devastating in their emotional power. In any case, BARAN is an excellent hour-and-a-half that qualifies as one of the finest of the recent wave of Iranian dramas.

A Window Into The Middle East; A Thoughtful Film About The Other Half

Author: museumofdave from Corning, California
15 April 2013

This is a thoughtful, beautifully made film about very poor people, a film about the growth of spirituality within a young man who falls in love without saying a word to the beloved; it is a magical film made mainly on a second-rate construction site, a fascinating look into folks to whom the cheap thrills of most American films would be completely irrelevant. Do we need to care about this people? Can we even identify with them?

Box office winners in America are generally about childhood superheros dressed up in expensive duds or weave dark make-believe tales about vampires or medieval revenge. They are aimed primarily at 14 year old boys, but many adults flock to them for entertainment. And they are entertaining, just as most fast food is filling, but often not very nutritious. The fact that Baran couldn't even crack 1/90th of the box office take of either of those films says something infinitely sad about audiences not willing to stretch their consciousness, experience an alternate reality, or understand some of the people our soldiers in the Middle East might be meeting on a daily basis. Baran is an open window into another culture and leaves behind something other than a ticket torn in half.

Display of purest form of love.

Author: manendra-lodhi (manendra.lodhi@gmail.com) from India
3 October 2012

The film is a typical Iranian film. It is like others, relying completely on the human emotions. The story is about the life of construction workers at a site. It focuses on the Afgan people living in a stressful environment all the time. Main concentration is upon two individuals. Things went with such a nice pace that hardly anyone can criticize about the character analysis or any other aspect. The film is very good in its genre of simplicity.

PROS:

Developing emotions can never be seen more properly than in an Iranian film. The best part is that you forget to focus on the acting of the characters and just want to know how the film would end.

CONS:

I liked everything in the film but towards the end everything seemed to be too much. I just cannot grasp that properly.

Message: "Love is beautiful."

Verdict: "A recommended watch."

The greatest romantic film I've ever watched

Author: Sounak Mukhopadhyay from India
5 September 2012

This is almost a silent film using very few words. So, I won't use many to review the film.

Majid Majidi composed a poem in the form of 'Baran'. In its imagery, narration and cinematic expressions, Baran must be the greatest romance the world has seen on screen.

The acting is as good as you get. As it is said that the best acting is when you don't realize that it is acting. This film has the same kind of performances.

Majid proves it once again with this film that you do not need skin show to depict a great romance. The greatest romance is told here without even touching the finger of the love interest.

A river of emotions

Author: chiazna
13 February 2012

I hardly can remember when I saw a love movie in which I had no idea how it would end, just before the last scenes. It is just amazing the tension this movie embodies in every gesture. In a world that Hollywood crap stinks all over the place, a love movie in which there is no kiss and not even a touch, but still so much substance is a miracle. It shows the meaning of the true art: to open horizons, to excite the mind and to comfort the heart.

Friendship, love, sacrifice, but overall a profound metanoia are all bursting step by step as the events unfold and lead us following the hero to a state of profound accomplishment in which love transforms everything around, even a trivial rain pouring in a foot's mark.

One of the best I ever seen

Author: Baran Yucel from Qatar
26 June 2010

Whole day I've been thinking about this movie after I watched. I was fully satisfied and for me simply one of the best. Congratulations to Majid Majidi. It is clearly proves that no need to spend millions of dollars and working with Hollywood movie stars to impress people. After I watched this movie I feel not to watch American movies anymore because I realized how the movie should be.The meaning of "Baran" is rain it makes very good sense by finishing the movie with raining scene. By the way the leading actor Lateef is not Kurdish as written in plot. I believe he is Azeri because he speaks Azeri in some part of the movie.

Showing Baran to students in Asia

Author: BeckyLadakh from India
10 November 2009

I use movies as an adjunct to my English class in Ladakh, a remote part of India. I like to show movies from different countries, and movies by this director always satisfy. It does mean that my students are reading subtitles rather than listening to English, but reading in chunks is a real-life reading skill, so I like to mix subtitled non-English movies in with English ones.

Being Iranian, this movie is, of course, squeaky clean for showing to students in a conservative society.

The character of Lateef is fun to do a character word-web about and my students came up with some great descriptive words, since his character is not all positive, and changes over time. Pre-teach that it's from Iran, and the language is Farsi (not Arabic). Because of many years of war, lots of Afghans are refugees in other countries, and in Iran they have trouble because without ID cards they aren't allowed to work, shop in shops, or stay in hotels. Make sure to catch the names of Najaf (the guy who has the accident at the beginning), his friend Sultan, the central character Lateef, and the boss Memar, because a lot of important plot points happen in discussions mentioning a character.

Heartbreakingly Beautiful View of Young Love in the Most Difficult Circumstances

Author: noralee from Queens, NY
14 October 2005

"Baran" is like a prequel to the opening of "Kandahar," showing why the Afghan refugees return home, as it's sure not clear where is the frying pan and where is the fire.

It gives a heartbreakingly beautiful contemporary view of a story as old as time, as some song from some Disney or other movie would put it. I'm sure there's several Celtic legend songs with a similar story line of the young man who gets in way over his head in a relationship from afar within highly circumscribed familial and authority strictures.

Original here is that his heart's desire is one smart cookie who is coping as best as can be within an intolerable social situation, and his efforts have "Gift of the Magi" consequences.

There is not a single cliché, and the probably amateur actors are used to effective visual effect with very little dialog.

(originally written 5/19/2002)

excellent

Author: mehrany from Japan
31 January 2005

I see this film after many years that I living out of Iran ,I think that maybe it is humdrum for someone but it have a really romance story . not only me but many of the guy's that I know them ,see this film for more than one time.also I must say about actors and back ground of this , I think that it have a poor camera moving ,and also not have a wide back ground , but actors ,specially first boy and Afghans girl have a nice play in this film ,it has a simple story but have a deep looking to human life (real life) so I hope that this film director and actors make more film like this , I guess that it's have a many customer like us out of Iran .

3 stars

Author: Mike Weston (mweston) from Silicon Valley, CA
18 April 2002

Like the Iranian film "Djomeh," which I saw in November, this film's main character is a young man living in Iran working for an older relative, this time in a construction job. Also similarly it involves the relationship between the native Iranians and refugees from Afghanistan.

The story, which moves slowly, involves sacrifice and a degree of romance. The cinematography is gorgeous, with a much more mobile camera than was seen in "Djomeh," and some truly beautiful compositions. This film was Iran's entry for the best foreign language film Academy Award, and is to be distributed in the US by Miramax, although they have apparently delayed it until the Spring. I saw it at the Camera Cinema Club (in San Jose, CA) on 2/17/2002.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]