IMDb > Collateral Damage (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Collateral Damage

Collateral Damage More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 34: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Not so hot

Author: ctomvelu from usa
30 July 2002

The film plays like a pastiche of Arnie's earlier hits, including COMMANDO, PREDATOR, TOTAL RECALL and several others. Unfortunately, it does not measure up to any of those efforts. The plot is hackneyed, the direction listless, and Arnie is too old and bloated to be running around the jungles of Colombia and the streets of Los Angeles. He also seems impervious to harm, which is not acceptable in a modern action film. He falls not once but twice from great heights and has the bejeesus kicked out of him several times, and yet he never shows so much as a scratch. The film comes to life briefly in a close-quarters prison brawl and during the climax in the basement of an office building, but it is nowhere near enough. DIrector Andrew Davis is not James Cameron, unfortunately. Which reminds me, it's hard to believe this is the same sleek action hero who appeared in TRUE LIES and ERASER. But those films were made in the early 90s, and Arnie ain't getting any younger. He needs to do more KINDERGARTEN COP-type films and get out of the action racket. He definitely needs to stop making tripe like this (not to mention END OF DAYS and THE 6TH DAY or whatever that clone disaster was called).

Not the Action Film of Old

Author: gavin6942 from United States
31 March 2016

After his family is killed by a terrorist act, a firefighter (Arnold Governator) goes in search of the one responsible.

What makes this film worthwhile are these two supporting actor: Elias Koteas and John Turturro. Either of them can do just about anything and it is always a joy to see. Especially Koteas, who remains sadly underrated.

The film as a whole is just alright. The concept is very much a standard action plot: terrorist kills people, lone man hunts down terrorist for revenge. But it just never feels right. When we did this in the 1980s, it was fun because it was over the top. Now it seems to be all too serious. This should not be so serious... because really, it is not gonna happen. Look at "Taken" -- now that's how you do it!

Surprisingly a really good film. I really enjoyed it and Schwarzenegger is superb in it.

Author: The_Riddler_1948
18 April 2014

We're talking about ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER here. The man himself! He's not the greatest of actors, but he's the greatest action hero / action film star of all-time. And you know that's the genuine truth. This film, unlike many others of his, focuses more on capture and revenge. The 'you could say' revenge he wants on a certain terrorist who does something awful that will have an impact and will affect Gordon (Arnold) for life.

But genuinely speaking, it's a great film. Less violence, killing and action, more build-up, focus and thought. I really love this film and it's one of my favourite Arnold Schwarzenegger films. I would rate it a strong 8.5 out of 10, and I think the co-stars in it are pretty great too and they're very good actors. The production, directing and scenery of the film is terrific and different and the locations for shooting with the scenery set up is absolutely great.

If you've not seen this film, you should totally watch it. It's a great film and it brings out something different in Arnold and in his acting career. He's a fireman who wants revenge this time. And hey, it's still enjoyable......and it's still very serious.

8.5/10.

In Desperate Need of More Character Development,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
7 December 2013

Collateral Damage is a good movie with a good set up but definitely could have been so much better than it ended up being.Arnold Schwarzenegger and Francesca Neri both put in a good performances but the rest of the cast really don't deliver.My biggest problem with the movie was the character development,mainly Gordy's son and wife,I knew going in to this movie that they were going to die,but we should have gotten to know a bit about them before they get killed,they literally die after two scenes of the movie,and then Schwarzenegger spends the rest of the movie seeking revenge because of the death of two people we weren't given enough time to care about.The twist at the end is very good and unexpected,you definitely won't see it coming,I won't say what happens, but the way Gordy finds out didn't make any sense.If your a big fan of Schwarzenegger,you should probably check it out for his sake,but Collateral Damage is not an action or drama I would highly recommend.

After his wife and son are killed after a terrorist attack at their local mall,Gordy Brewer (Arnold Schwarzenegger) will not rest until he finds the people who killed his loved ones.

A great film with incredible story telling!

Author: Daniel Latchford (keioh16) from United Kingdom
22 August 2013

This film is only rated 5.2/10, and I struggle to see how it's so low. There is great story telling, by which I mean it really immerses you into the film and makes you empathise with the characters, especially Gordy Brewer (Arnold Schwarzenegger), as well as being easy to follow without being boring, (has a great twist at the end). I regard this as some of Schwarzenegger's best acting, he shows compassion, regardless hatred, and you really get a sense he is just trying to give some low-life terrorist what he deserves. He is also intelligent and turns from fire-fighter to basically a FBI agent when the rest aren't up to the mark/not have enough information. It is a shame people like Harry Lennix and Elias Koteas didn't get more screen time, but hey ho, you can't have everything.

It is let down by a few errors, such as the cliché family death thing, and the protection of children etc. But not enough to lower the rating to 5.2/10 in my opinion.

Dull

Author: adam-scrivner
17 June 2011

***May contain spoilers***

Now I am a huge Arnie fan - Total Recall is one of my favourite films. But Collateral Damage really isn't. The plot is simply so far-fetched as to be ridiculous, and while Arnie could once pull this off as an indestructible killing machine, as a humble fireman-gone-bananas he sadly falls flat simply by attempting to be too ordinary.

I genuinely struggled to pay attention throughout this film, and although you always root for Arnie, his character doesn't really come alive and become exciting until later on. The twist at the end of the film was entertaining, but by then I was just past caring.

This film only just scraped 5/10.

Arnold is The Terrorist Terminator

Author: Mr_Censored from Maine
8 June 2010

In the past, he's battled Predators, Cyborgs and even The Devil but in "Collateral Damage," Arnold Schwarzenegger takes on the nastiest of foes: terrorists! After his family is killed in a terrorist attack, and the government fails to rectify the situation, Arnie takes matters into his own hands, setting out to Colombia where he intends to take down El Lobo (Cliff Curtis), the man responsible for his loss.

Released in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, "Collateral Damage" suffered massive cuts and re-shoots and it shows in the final product. While Arnold, pushing well into his 50's at this point, is in top form and director Andrew Davis ("The Fugitive") knows how to pace the action and cue the suspense, the film can't help but feel somewhat compromised, and, well, neutered. Unlike, say, the "Rambo" flicks, this film is rather mild in its depiction of war and terrorism and, in spite of some of its more thrilling action sequences, is host to some rather shoddy CGI work, especially in its final act, which could be chalked up to the rushed re-shoots.

The action is decent enough, and as always, Arnie carries the weight of the film as best as he can. In the end, it's a passable effort that is, at the very least, engaging and exciting. Yet, one can't help but feel like it could have been more. The second to last film Arnold would star in before becoming The Governator, "Collateral Damage" is on the lower end of his action oeuvre, but is certainly a more respectable effort than, say, "Junior" or "Jingle All The Way."

It does tend to be entertaining

Author: abgkasjlkasjla from Denmark
4 April 2008

Some films are victims of circumstance. It could be argued that this was dealt a bad hand on account of its(obviously unforeseen) timing; however, that argument may be void and null. I'm not so sure it'd have fared all that well, regardless... even if it hadn't coincided with the tragic real-life event(this is not the appropriate forum to discuss whether or not it could have been prevented), or subsequently undergone changes. It's just not that strong, overall. It starts out pretty well, but the way it continues... the movie and the people working on it don't seem to realize(or if it does, no readily apparent measures to correct this were taken) that the merciless berating(whether or not it's true) of Colombia gets *really* old, very fast; rather, it continues throughout, and whatever point may have once been present disappears in all the repetition(how many times do the words "kidnapping" and "drugs" have to be mentioned in just one feature in connection to a single geographical location?). The plot starts out as more or less usual revenge-flick stuff, and had it stayed there, this would be fine. But it tries to judge and moralize, and it winds up with too many things going on, too many pointed fingers, in various directions, and apart from not fitting with the tone of the flick, and worse than that, it just gets messy and unfocused. The acting is fine. Both John's do their thing some, but they have very little to do, other than advance the story. Cinematography and editing are decent, nothing special, and they do manage to render unclear one or two parts of this that'd be intense and fun if only the viewer could determine exactly what was happening. The action isn't bad... this can be quite exciting, and that's probably its greatest asset. Arnold dishes out some, and if he is perhaps not as... liberated as in earlier efforts, he does fight dirty some(I've decided to nickname him "Mike" from now on). Pacing is OK. I recommend this to fans of Arnie, and the genre in general, but I wouldn't suggest a purchase, or maybe even rental... but if you can borrow it from a friend, or it's on TV and you've got to watch some stuff blow up and such, this'll scratch the itch(if not as well as other pieces could). 6/10

Don't have to see all of one of Arnold's films

Author: caa821 from Tulsa OK
15 April 2007

I tuned-in to this film, which I hadn't seen before, not too far from its conclusion on a Sunday morning.

Arnold was a fireman, but performed the same as in his other flicks, where he is the nation's top soldier of fortune, U.S. Marshal, super spy, or such.

As opposed to some of this genre, this movie provided an interesting twist at the end - but the other hi-jinks at the climax were still "pure Arnold."

From other comments here, apparently, he appears in Columbia, post-haste, shortly after the deaths of his family. I saw him elude a firestorm of bullets and missiles with a woman and child in-tow, in the Central American jungles, while everyone and everything around him was totally devastated.

Then, with both the Secretaries of Defense and State and hordes of all manner of security and military personnel around, he is the one person who finally figures-out the means to avoid the threatened and impending major holocaust to descend upon D.C. from the Colombian terrorists

He simply slithers down a deep elevator shaft (no great problem for him), and accosts the terrorist villains in a sub-basement. They are are on a motorcycle and armed -- Arnie is on-foot and unarmed.

However, two armed, proficient terrorists with a cycle are no match for him on-foot and unarmed. Hell, in "True Lies," even a platoon of jihad terrorists, armed with rockets and Uzis, and on their own turf (a remote Florida key), and with Arnie having been given a huge sedative earlier, couldn't match his efforts.

But it's all pure fun. One of the other comments here aptly pointed-out that Arnie's mid-50's age is showing some, particularly in close-ups. But even now a bit "long-in-tooth," these films of his daring exploits still entertain.

Comment on Opening Comment

Author: bigdas from United States
13 February 2007

To Kristine. Collateral Damage was not made on the premise of 9/11. Even Hollywood has more class than that (I think). The movie was completed by Mid-Summer 2001 and scheduled to premier in September of that year. I recall seeing posters advertising the film weeks before the tragedy of WTC. The producers decided to postpone the premier in light of these events to early 2002, which to me was a tactful decision on their part. Some rumors also hint that this film would have added insult to injury given that one man could accomplish more to combat terrorism than the entire United States Military Intelligence. Well, I'm sure that Hollywood is guilty of that if not anything else.