Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A wonderful surprise!

Author: Skeletors_Hood (skeletors_hood@hotmail.com) from Kansas City
23 July 2002

When I bought the unedited version of this movie on DVD, I had never watched Batman Beyond in my life, so I knew nothing about the storyline. I wasn't even sure about buying the movie before having seen it, but I am a great fan of Mark Hamill's Joker, so I was sure that even if the movie sucked, I would at least like the Joker.

What I found was a great bit of animation with a surprisingly awesome storyline. I was expecting the comic book cliche of a clone replacement, but the fresh twist had me guessing all the way through. And I was right about loving the Joker, he was still as great as he always was.

If you haven't seen it yet, don't wait. It won't disappoint you.

'Batman' has never been so good!

Author: Christopher Smith
4 July 2001

I do not know why this was a direct-to-video release. It was very exciting and I think it would have done pretty well in theatres. I rented BATMAN BEYOND: RETURN OF THE JOKER because I love the BATMAN BEYOND television show and I loved BATMAN BEYOND: THE MOVIE. The first couple of scenes seemed a little too much like the television show, but as soon as I saw the new Joker, I knew this was going to be Batman like we have never seen him before. This was so different from the show in so many ways and had such great animation. It was a fast-paced animated thriller. It was intense. I loved it. A few days later, I bought it on DVD and listened to the filmakers' commentary. I had no idea that so much work was done on this movie in such a short time. Sadly, none of the filmakers' mentioned the cuts that were made by Warner Brothers due to the amount of violence. I think it would be really interesting to see the footage that was cut from the movie. Hopefully, Warner Brothers will come out with a version that contains the cut footage some day. Until then, I'll just enjoy the movie the way Warner Brothers released it. It is one of the best animated movie I have ever seen. I hope there are some more BATMAN BEYOND movies in the future.

one word: cool.

Author: Angela L from manila, philippines
26 October 2001

when i heard that there's a "new" batman in town, my initial reaction was to roll my eyes. so whenever i see it on tv, i change the channel.

but this is some surprise! we watched in school during a free time and amazingly, i was hanging on every bit of the video. the animation was wonderful, and even the story line and the freaky voice of little joker. if you love batman and love great animation, i absolutely insist you watch this. cool.

Batman for a new generation...

Author: Cephyran from Alberta
19 November 2004

A lot of the Batman cartoon versions are better than the live versions, and Return of the Joker is one of them. Set in the Batman Beyond universe (between twenty and thirty years later from when Bruce was in his prime), this movie introduces a young boy named Terry who is given the honor of becoming a Batman for a new generation. At the same time, the Joker, who was long thought dead, resurfaces and causes no end of trouble for our heroes.

I've also had the chance to watch a big chunk of the series, and it's always neat when a video release like this is a continuous piece of the series. The voice acting is well done, the story is compelling and dynamic, and the physical limitations of the real world are easily evaded with the animation medium. This makes Batman a lot more agile, swift, and sneaky then he ever could be in the movies. Anybody who's followed the show has probably seen this, but if you haven't, it's definitely worth a watch.

Quite good

Author: blackcircles (blackcircles@beer.com) from Toronto, Canada
1 December 2000

I've never really been that wild about this Terry kid, or this new costume. He seems to rely more on his Iron Man-like costume than his intellect and deductive skills, as the original Batman did. Having said that, my favourite part of Return of the Joker was when Barbara Gordon flashed back and remembered the last time Batman fought the Joker. That is an absolutely marvelous scene. You feel the concern and horror thunder through Batman as he's confronted with the atrocities Robin has endured, as well as his hatred and fury towards the Joker. The people in Warner Brothers animation have thankfully returned to drawing the Joker with the detail they had when Batman the Animated Series started. And as much as I don't really like him, Terry's climactic fight with the Joker is definitely worth checking out. As a previous comment said, it's a pleasant surprise.

What a spectacular movie!

Author: Kokomadeta from United States
5 January 2007

Before watching this, I was expecting a good movie, but it turned out to be a spectacular movie that I want to watch again and again! This film pays true homage to the Batman animated series and explains many questions of what happened to the supporting characters and sidekicks of the original Batman animated series. The animation style for the Joker is that of Batman: TAS volume 1-3 (i.e. Joker: good version). If you're hesitant to watch this movie, go for it. Watch, love, and enjoy. I recommend buying the DVD right away, because it also has some pretty cool bonus features like a making-of feature, and a music video. I highly recommend this movie for a fan of the show, or anyone else who even remotely likes Batman.

A NICE TREAT FOR BATMAN FANS

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
6 March 2002

Each cartoon Batman movie just gets better and better. I watched this just after Christmas 2001 and I was very happy with it.

There are a lot of surprises in this movie (which I will not give away) and the Joker is meaner than ever (I'm not telling you anything about his return or what he's up to). There's some great action scenes in this movie but some young kids may find some of it disturbing in parts.

It's great to see the return of characters such as Barbara Gordon and Tim Drake. This is one of the things I liked about this movie. The characters were not just brought back for the sake of it-they were all integral to the story.

I won't reveal much more in case I spoil it for anyone but let's just say that I will definitely be reserving my seat for future Batman Beyond movies.

the Return of the Joker - better than the 'Beyond' series, almost as good as Phantasm!

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
16 August 2008

The first thing that stands out about Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker is its structure. Unlike some of the other animated Batman movies (SubZero, Mystery of the Matwoman), this one comes closer to the likes of Mask of the Phantasm to actually feeling, however in short running time, like a real feature-length movie and not simply four episodes strung together. This is important since we can get wrapped up in the mystery behind the re-emergence of the Joker and it feels fluid and without a cliffhanger-type end every several minutes. The second thing that marks this as above-average animated Batman fare is the quality of the history of two series, original animated and Beyond, and how sharp the writing and voice performances go along with the (PG-13) action and cartoon violence. The filmmakers could've just thrown in old characters like Joker and Harley Quinn and Barbara Gordon and Tim Drake just for the hell of it. But it all fits a story that's worth telling, if only for the fans looking for that awesome coda to the first series.

It's hard to try and not spoil how the Joker, fifty years into the future, re-appears with his gang the Jokerz when Bruce Wayne is now an old man and Terry McGinnis is the new young Batman. Without saying too much, the Jokerz are stealing some high-tech equipment, and something smells fishy on top of the conniving Jordan Price possibly double-crossing Wayne, who is taking back control over Wayne enterprises. But when the Joker himself crashes Wayne's party, McGinnis and Wayne try and investigate what's going on- who he really is, since he's supposed to be killed- and where he'll strike next. The writing and crafting of the mystery, and the eventual truth, is told creatively and with the kind of absorption Batman fans crave (it IS Detective Comics after all), but also impressive is the animation done mostly with computers and not skimping on making the action fairly intense (the subtraction of a good deal of the blah heavy metal music from the show is a plus here).

And lest not forget Conroy as Bruce Wayne, always a sturdy presence, and Mark Hamill as the Joker. They're probably two of the most iconic voice actors of their time just on the basis of their work in the Batman animated saga; Hamill especially gives it his all, and even puts in double-time on the voice of Jordon Price (which for a little while begs the question of him being involved in the crimes), as the clown prince of crime and mayhem. It's such a good performance that it makes up for some standard work by other voice actors (however fine) by Dean Stockwell and Angie Harmon. With just his voice he projects this iconic villain for all its worth, and ranks up there with Nicholson and (now) Ledger as the wonderful if varied versions. Somehow, even in the drama, Hamill manages to get a couple of laughs out of the audience with this Joker. Funny, since it's one of the most dramatic Batman stories yet. 8.5/10

Great movie.

Author: kyle-mcdonald from Canada
6 January 2008

OK well it took me a long while to get this movie but I finally got and got to see and it turned out to be a great sequel to the batman cartoon series and for all the same reasons. It has lots of action in it the storyline to is really good the cartoon effects are good. the voice over actors are really good such as Kevin Conroy as Bruce Wayne/Batman, Will Friedle as Terence "Terry" McGinnis/Batman, Angie Harmon and Tara Strong as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, Dean Stockwell and Mathew Valencia as Tim Drake/Robin. The villains are good such as Mark Hamill as The Joker, Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quin. So I am sure you will not be disappointed with Batman Beyond The Return Of The Joker because it is a really good movie. So make sure that you rent or but Batman Beyond The Return Of The Joker because it is a great movie.

Overall score: ********* out of **********

**** out of *****

Also there is a really good twist in this movie but I am not going to tell you what it is.

He's baaaack...

Author: TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews from Earth
14 November 2009

I watched this not having seen a single episode of the show, and much to its credit, I had no trouble at all following the film. The plot is excellent, interesting, well-thought out, and develops rather nicely throughout, with a twist that will keep you guessing. This is well-paced, and there is an immense amount of the awesome, well-choreographed action. While quite intense and exciting, this doesn't overwhelm or overstimulate the viewer. The characters are well-written, credible and consistent. Every acting performance is great, with Hamill's take on the Joker taking the cake, as always, with the sheer maniacal quality to it, and his endless enthusiasm. The psychology is all accurate. This has well-done 2D animation and marvelous design. This builds the mood expertly, and the bleak atmosphere of Gotham is captured beautifully. The music is cool, and in general the audio is spot-on, with every effect sounding just right. There is a bit of violence in this, and I understand that it is stronger in the Director's Cut. I recommend this to any fan of Batman. 8/10

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]