IMDb > Second Skin (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Segunda piel

Second Skin More at IMDbPro »Segunda piel (original title)

Interesting

Author: terryhall2 from United Kingdom
15 January 2007

As handsome as Jordi is (who plays Arturo, the husband in this love triangle of a film) it was very difficult to feel any sympathy for him. His arrogance and inconsideration of both his wife and lover too strongly covered the conflicting feelings that must have been raging inside of him and were only really released towards the end of the film. By that time he had died and one couldn't help thinking that that was the best thing that could have happened for the two other lovers involved, releasing them from the lies, messed up emotions and insincere game-playing that Arturo conducted. As an exploration of the self-loathing gay man who cannot feel love for himself or anyone else, then we have a fine film. The story is not new, but we see it from the Spanish director's perspective and all the actors were good. I could feel for both the spurned partners and for the friend of the surgeon who made it evident that she had feelings for him too, despite knowing he was gay. Again, human emotions explored on film as naturally as they exist day to day.

Wonderful & Worth Your Time

Author: ladewi from United States
7 March 2008

The kaleidescope of images that make up the beautiful opening credits (which is probably the best opening I've seen in a long time) truly sets the tone for this film. And in this film ,just like a kaleidescope, the parts that make it up seem simple enough. You have the pretty wife, the cute kid, and the husband with a secret. You have the lover on the side, a handsome doctor. But this handsome Doctor Diego, played wonderfully by Javier Bardem, is having an affair with Alberto, the husband in the not so perfect marriage. But , just like the kaleidescope ,this is where the simplicity ends. We've all seen the films of people finding out, and coming to terms with their sexuality.That's what makes this film unique. It's not another "I'm discovering I'M Gay" picture. This movie doesn't follow that typical plot. The kaleidescope effect comes into play. You have to deal with a range of emotions that for me, at first, made me completely loath Alberto . The wife suspects, the wife finds out, yet Alberto's lies are too deeply woven in his psyche . And although Diego knows there's not something quite right, but because he's in love, he looks past them. He wants to believe he's not a fool.Alberto incessantly lies to both his wife, and his lover.The man is completely arrogant and self absorbed on every level. He is indifferent to his wife and Diego.Though his wife knows, he makes promises to her he can't keep. And he strings Diego along with more lies and distance, with complete disregard for the mans love for him.. I was completely hateful in regards to Alberto, but the more I thought about it..the more he came across to me as a man so desperately and selfishly in love with two people , and what each had to offer, that he actually couldn't fathom losing either one of them. The range of emotions, from love, betrayal , trust , and understanding are just a few of the emotions that come into play. I love how this movie isn't about being gay, but how one person can effect the lives of others with the tangled web of deception , that eventually effects and destroys exactly what one was trying to hold onto in the first place.I know many are disappointed with the conclusion of the story. But for me, I found the journey far more important to what was the obvious and inevitable outcome.Ohh..and the man on man sex scene...SMOKING HOT!

Very realistic story of gay/bisexual/straight triangle

Author: Bob E from Palm Springs, CA
6 October 2001

This is a dramatic, very realistic story about the internal strife of a bisexual man, torn between his beautiful wife and child and his desire for romance with a Gay surgeon. Well photographed and directed with excellent music. Excellent beach scenery. Explicit sex scenes are well done. The emotional pain of the 'bisexual' man (more likely a Gay man who married to please his parents and conform to societal pressures) is very graphically and honestly portrayed. The damage that his refusal to deal with his identity crisis causes both his wife and his lover is also honestly shown. Javier Bardem is excellent as the surgeon and Adriana Gil as the wife is stunningly beautiful.

Glossy Soap Opera

Author: baker-9 from United States
3 June 2003

For all it's shortcomings, "Seguna Piel" is entertaining in a Lifetime movie kind of way, with some of the most overwrought background music you'll hear in this kind of film.

As someone else here noted, the character of the husband is underwritten to the point where you can't imagine why his wife or male lover waste their time on him. This isn't helped by the more vibrant performances of Javier Bardem as the gay lover and the actress who plays the wife. The husband comes off like a shallow, self-centered, spoiled child. Only at the end does he reveal himself as the conflicted, angry, self-hating man that he is, but it's too much info too late at that point.

Yes the sex scenes - one in particular near the beginning - are steamy, but the drama itself is pure soap.

Second skin or true skin?

Author: Miguel Fialho (mfialho@netcabo.pt)
7 January 2001

A classic triangle movie with a married couple and a male lover in-between, only this time it's not the wife but the husband who's cheating with another man. Hot sexual male scenes makes this film a must by gay viewers when Spanish cinema is currently leading this matter. Though, it is a bit TV plot based on a true story, and it has rarely been seen on cinema, doesn't necessarily mean that it cannot be done. In fact, the quality that makes this particular movie a good piece of art and so worth watch it, is that it's portrayed as an archetype of a modern life situation that happen to occur more often than one could suspect. The husband's unwillingness and incapableness to find his true nature, constantly lying to his wife and his lover, has driven those last characters to despair in understanding and helping the man they love but who they don't know. The wife, never suspected that her lack of involvement in their relationship could endanger her marriage at the point of seeing her husband seeking for an affair. As for the gay lover, the fact that his present companion has afraid to be seen in public with him, like two lovers rather than two friends, hurts him badly because he accepts his own nature. The intriguing excuses of Alberto, the husband, makes them reacting towards him trying to solve the puzzle that he consists, when the easy way out of the situation is right near them (like when the wife cannot enjoy being with another man when she has the opportunity or the lover won't accept his female colleague to help getting over him). Three persons portrayed in their interior (the opening credits with the x-rays is one of the most beautiful openings I've seen lately) with their emotions thickening as the film passes. The players of this movie are excellent, particularly Ariadna Gil, the wife. What disappointed me were the last fifteen minutes in which seems that the writer and director of this movie were replaced by others who didn't know what was done before, leaving the ending so pathetic and inconclusive. Still, it is good to watch it.

A heartbreaking and sensitive drama about a triangular love story starred by three fabulous actors

Author: ma-cortes from Santander Spain
24 June 2015

Solid but downbeat drama by Gerardo Vera , being well photographed and compellingly shot . Diego (Javier Bardem) is a surgeon who has fallen in love with a married man (Jordi Molla) to Elena (Ariadna Gil) and with a son . Against the advice of his chief (Cecilia Roth) and best friend , he goes on his affair with Alberto . Then, it takes place doubts , mistrusts , jealousy , standing between the three lovers . The consequences of this twisted love story profoundly alter not only the two men's lives , but also that of Alberto's spouse . Alberto is a man now broke and ill who has sentimental problems of his own . But Elena is not willing to cede more and Alberto is torn between the two sides of love . Events go wrong , confrontation is inevitable, and the breakdown is accelerated until an unexpected ending with tragic consequences .

Intense and heart-rending melodrama about a peculiar and suffering trio . This interesting as well as intimate story is a passionate retelling and a touching melodrama , including strong sex scenes and nudism . The film relies heavily on the relationships among the main characters , a complex loving cobweb plenty of deceptions , pain , mistrust and lies . The main problem has to face "Segunda Piel" , beyond not being able to avoid falling into a claustrophobic drama is precisely derived from the coldness of its staging , which eventually become monotonous and excessive heart-breaking over one hundred minutes and some of footage . Very good acting from trio protagonist , as Javier Bardem as Diego, orthopedic doctor at a private clinic , he is a man without folds or prejudices who is pulled to the pool of loving risks with their professional and emotional stability ; Jordi Molla as a young and prestigious aeronautical engineer and Ariadana Gil as his zealous wife who wants to be in love with him , in spite of the hard circumstances . They are supported by a magnificent secondary cast such as Cecilia Roth , Mercedes Sampietro , Javier Albalá , Pilar Castro , among others . Colorful and brilliant cinematography by Julio Madurga . Special mention for excellent musical score , marvelously composed by Roque Baños . He composes a wonderful soundtrack full of sensitivity and good feeling . Roque Baños is considered to be one of the best Spanish musicians with successes such as Fragiles , Machinist , Sexy beast , 800 bullets and El Niño .

The motion picture was well shot by Gerardo Vera , being filmed in his usual formal and stylistic scholarship , without leaving a trace the thought-provoking issues , in terms of dramatic and narrative excitement . It was notorious screen-writer Rafael Azcona who encouraged director Gerardo Vera to make this movie . Gerardo Vera was born in Madrid , where he often shoots his films . He is a good filmmaker , production designer and costume designer , known for Deseo (2002) , Tattoo (1999) , La Celestina (1996) and especially this , Segunda Piel (1999) . Gerardo Vera is particularly famous as a prestigious Production designer , being known for El Pecador Impeccable , Fuego Eterno , Mitad del Cielo , Tasio , Feroz and La Niña De Tus Ojos (1998).

Coming out of the closet can be hard on your wife

Author: poco loco
4 January 2007

his Spanish exploration of love and family centers on Alberto (Jordi Molla from Blow and Bad Boys II). A successful family man at an aeronautics firm, he finds himself in a passionate love affair with Diego (Javier Bardem), a confident physician. Diego is comfortable with his homosexuality and is madly in love with Alberto. Alberto, who can't deny his love for Diego, doesn't want to admit that he is gay and struggles with his desires. Alberto's wife Elena (Ariadna Gil) tries to understand the reservedness and lack of sexual interest in her husband. When she finds out, she's not very happy about it, he is her true love and what will she do? A sudden event alters all three lives, leading to compassionate conclusion.

I really like Adriana Gil, known in Spain for taking new, difficult roles, but Javier Bardem carries the show, I've never seen an actor express so much with his face and hands. Truly an amazing actor. Jordi Molla did a good job, but since he always plays a slimeball in American movies, it is hard to move past that character.

This movie is like a pear. I've got a pear right now sitting on my desk, trying to ripen. I'm looking forward to the juicy, grainy pulp that will hopefully develop as it sits there. Often though, it doesn't fully ripen before some parts start to spoil, so you eat it a little underdone. That's how this movie felt. Some good situations pregnant with emotion, but not developed to the extent I would have liked. 6/10

A Spanish "gayploitation" movie

Author: Guy33134 from Coral Gables, Fl
7 March 2000

This film has caused a lot of controversy in its native Spain. It is establishing a trend in Spanish films exploiting gay themes by casting some of the country's most popular male stars as lovers to lure viewers, therefore appealing to voyeurism. This "gayploitation" has been going on for over a decade in Spanish cinema. In fact, it's hard to name an established Spanish actor who hasn't appeared in at least one gay role. However, in most cases, these roles or their sexuality have been secondary. In SEGUNDA PIEL, however, it's full steam ahead as the film centers around these two stars' relationship, and features very graphic sex scenes between the two stars. Whether this film is voyeuristic or not is certainly up to the viewer to decide.

What a letdown

Author: jonr-3 from Kansas City, Missouri, USA
29 June 2002

I saw "Second Skin" at Kansas City's Gay and Lesbian Film Festival 2002. The opening credits were beautiful; the photography and settings were luscious; the story started in a suspenseful and believable way; the characters were engaging (and MIGHTY easy on the eyes): I found myself thinking, "At last! I'm going to make up for some of the movies I've walked out on this week."

Alas, come midway in the movie, things started to look increasingly hopeless. Then in the last twenty minutes or so, pure soap opera took over. I was actually cringing and crawling down into my seat with discomfort and dismay.

I don't even know if I can say, "Nice try." The more I think about it, the more I think this film is based on and permeated with homophobia. A great pity--it started out so well.

interesting movie

Author: Kauthar Toffar from South Africa
21 May 2016

I found myself feeling very annoyed with Alberto throughout the movie. From the very beginning you could see he was trying to find himself even after he had been married with a child already. But even after he knew he didn't truly, deep down within himself love Elena, he was still so selfish as he didn't want to let her go and be free to find someone that could love her the way she deserved to be loved. He wanted his bread buttered both sides because he did the same thing with Diego. Although, in this case Diego wouldn't take no for an answer and was extremely persistent, Alberto would still string him along and give him false hope just so that he wouldn't have to be alone with himself to actually make decisions about his life and who he truly is, what it is he actually wants and then be able to free the people around him that he has been holding down for so long. I loved the ending where he dies because it was like a huge, but tragic weight has been lifted off both Elena and Diego's shoulders because now they weren't hurting anyone by wanting to be with a man that doesn't know what he, himself wants. I know it sounds harsh that I enjoyed him dying off but his character was just awful and he was messing with people's emotions, which isn't acceptable anywhere or with anyone. I found it quite surprising to see how well Elena and Diego got along with each other even before he died. It may have been as civil as it was because the person she was being cheated on with was the same set as her husband which was probably a lot to take in and so it seems she needed the confrontation and the face to face to actually make her thoughts and feelings a reality, that this was actually happening to her. But even then, they still did not lash out at each other or even exchange harsh words. To me, this goes to show the kind of people, or rather, the kind of character they have played. Which would be kind, compassionate and understanding and that is why they put up with him until his last day.