IMDb > The Fast and the Furious (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Fast and the Furious

The Fast and the Furious More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 99: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

i loved it.

Author: lobo2_redwolf from ohio
17 January 2002

This movie rocked it's the best movie I've seen ever. It also inspired me too buy a imported car too build just like the orange car.I hope there are a 2,3,4 and 5 of this movie. All the girls in this film where 10's. The movie also had a lot of action but worst of all for me was when the black charger bit the dust i cried at that tragic part.

THE BEST MOVIE EVER!!!

Author: iluvjc98 from united states
12 January 2002

K, i dont know what people are talking about when they say this movie sucks. They dont have a clue what a good movie is, or what good acting is. This movie is action packed and has a great plot. This is a movie with a topic that is not talked about a lot,and definitly doesn't have a lot of movies talking about it, and it's a very interesting subject. The actors played their parts very well and where great co-stars for the awesome cars in this movie. I'll say if you dont like cars,racing,and action then this probably isn't the movie for you. Needless to say this is a great movie and I strongly recommend this movie to ALL of my friends and I haven't found any person that doesn't like this movie.

A great film for real street enthusiast.

Author: Kevin from Wilkes-Barre, PA
12 January 2002

The Fast and The Furious is the first film to capture the actual feel and lifestyle of a group of city street racers. The plot of the film gives street racers somewhat of a bad name, but most people don't hold them in high reguards anyway. I was also happy to see the love story part of the movie take backseat to the cars and the street racers lifestyle. I gave this movie a 10, however, I believe you'll only fully appreciate this film if you are a true car enthusiast.

i wish i had gone to see this movie in the theatre

Author: rachel from ramona, ca
11 January 2002

i wish i had gone to see this movie in the theatre. it was outstanding. the only thing i would have liked more of was the truck heists.

i liked vin diesels character, and during the entire movie i was glued to my couch!

anyone who likes car movies, vin diesel, plot twists, and some good old fashioned drag racing in some awesome cars should see this movie

it is a movie made for today, enjoy it, i did, i bought it and i have watched it over and over again they said he was a bad guy, he explained why he did what he did they didn't leave it open for us to figure it out, they gave us the facts, and like it or not, this is what happened and this is what he did, deal with it

"we're going to fast, going to fast, we're gonna crash"

review

Author: Jim Waterman (Bravezfanatic@aol.com) from New York
7 January 2002

The Fast And The Furious is one of the best movies I've ever seen, not only does it have good cars, hot women and tons of action but there is a great story line to it. The cars in the movie kick ass I'd love just to be able to drive any one of those cars exspecially Vin Diseals car in the end of the movie, that black Charger kicked ass.

Very Good Movie

Author: Dagooness from Canda
6 January 2002

I like the story, the cars, the girls, but there is one thing that was odd about this movie and that is when the character are speaking the audio changes, it goes from loud the very low... I notice it in the theather and on the DVD... just thought that was odd. It still makes the top 10 on my list.

A sexist racist pile of poop

Author: Andrew Blyth from Surrey, England
5 March 2002

Oh dear.

Where do we start?

Let's ignore the fact that this film was poorly plotted, poorly scripted, badly conceived and reminiscent of the tackiest MTV video you can think of. Let's remain blissfully unaware of the production values that would make yesterdays breakfast look like a five course dinner. Let's also overlook the poorest acting I've seen from young Hollywood "talent" since Sunset Beach.

Yes, lets.

Okay, onto the REALLY objectionable stuff...

Firstly, the only oriental characters involved are not only street punk goons but also the primary bad guys. Okay, so the main goon's dad is in it too for about five seconds and isn't very happy at his sons conduct, but this is hardly an excuse to have such a racially imbalanced plotline. This is the 21st century and this cowboys and indians style concept is worthy of a prison sentence, particulary as it comes from a country where racial equality is considered to be a key issue.

Secondly, we see lots and lots of cars and... guess what? Oh yes, women wearing next to nothing running around allowing their drivers to fondle their "assets", then offering threesomes. Despite the fact that the realisim factor is minute - surely most women would despair of a guy who's life revolved around his car - it also portrays an image of women as mere sex objects to pleasure guys in fast cars. Again, we have one token female who is a racer, but this hardly makes this kind of imagery morally sound, and the camera still takes time to wander over her person with an almost feral attention to detail.

By portraying these women as trophies, it suggests that irresponsible behaviour such as street racing can earn you sexual favours. This is of course complete rubbish in the case of nearly every single woman with an IQ above 0.2.

Finally, I would just like to point out that the entire plot and premise of the film displays a complete lack of belief in safe, responsible driving. Not a single seatbelt is seen throughout the entire film, people have horrific accidents in their cars then stroll out completely unscathed, and not once did I see a crash helmet or protective clothing except on the "oriental bad guy goons". What sort of message is that sending out to our 13 and 15 year olds as they begin to reach the age where they can legally drive?

To sum it up, this is a meathead movie, made for meatheads by meatheads. Avoid at all costs and burn copies wherever possible!!!

Fast Paced action

Author: Gustavo Schroeder A
21 September 2015

The one that started it all, The original Fast and the Furious is a movie that I think is often forgotten. Fans and casual viewers alike think of the extremely over the top impossible action sequences the newer Furious movies have become. But few remember that once upon a time, it was about street racing and boosting trucks.

While it is essentially a Point Break remake with cars instead of surfers, the Fast and the Furious manages to stand on its own and be a thoroughly entertaining movie. The dialogue is pretty stupid at times and some stuff that happens doesn't always make sense, but the movie never fails to entertain.

The Fast and the Furious is probably too good to be considered a guilty pleasure, but too bad to be considered a great movie, so I'll just say, even if it's stupid at times, and over the top, The Fast and The Furious is without a doubt a very entertaining movie I really enjoy watching every once in a while.

Still the best of the bunch!

Author: Simon Cornelis from Belgium
31 July 2015

So I finally got around to seeing the 7th movie in the immensely successful Fast & Furious franchise. I am a big fan of the entire franchise, and even though the latest part (Furious 7) currently gets the highest ratings out of all, the 1st is still my favorite. It has a certain charm that all the sequels lack. As a movie on it's own, much has been said before: The story is rather shallow, it has plot holes-a-plenty and the dialogue makes you cringe, but if you like fast cars and action, you'll most likely enjoy this movie. Nothing new there. But I would like to point out why for me the original The Fast & The Furious is still the highlight of the franchise.

First of all, next to being a movie buff, I'm also very much a car guy, and from that point of view I can appreciate The Fast & The Furious' efforts to try and portray genuine car culture. An aspect that for me has really been missing from the later additions in the franchise. Admittedly for the car-tuning community this movie probably did more bad than good, and car enthusiasts love to rip on all the technical mistakes in this movie, but compared to the later F&F movies, this one actually does quite alright. For example, when Dom (Vin Diesel) shifts his car (a Mazda RX7) into gear at the start of the first race we get to see an elaborate CGI sequence that takes us through the entire drive train of the car. It's a fancy gimmick at first, but re-watching this sequence some time ago I noticed that the engine of the car didn't have pistons. Instead it has rotors. The filmmakers actually took the time to research the fact that RX7's are powered by rotary engines rather than your standard piston engine. We don't see this kind of attention to detail in the later movies and for all it's technical mistakes the 1st Fast & Furious also gets it right in many places.

But even apart from these technicalities, The Fast & The Furious has got more redeeming qualities. I find that the original Fast & Furious has the most believable characters compared to the other installments in the franchise. Here we have a group of high-school drop-outs, who grew up together doing their car-thing. They're clearly a close-knit group of friends (a family) kept together by Vin Diesel's leader/father figure. In this context Diesel's character and the entire "I got family" thing makes sense. This isn't so much the case in the later movies (especially 5, 6 and 7), where Dominic becomes this stuck-in-the-past guy going on and on about his so called "family" who are actually just a group of loosely associated characters that come together on occasion and then go their separate ways again. Don't get me wrong, the all-star ensemble is fun in the action-blockbuster franchise F&F has become now, but below the surface the original still provides most of the drive behind the characters 6 movies later.

In a similar way The Fast & The Furious has the best "bad guys" from the series as well. I always found Johnny Tran and his gang much more intriguing than any of the other bad boys in the sequels. In every other F&F film the crew rises up against some mafia figure (Verone, Braga, Reyes, etc.) who is evil for the sake of being evil, and who's ultimate downfall is always underestimating this crew of street racers because, you know, they're just street racers, right? It gets rather formulaic. Johnny Tran on the other hand isn't this ultimate bad guy. In fact his actions are rather well motivated. He's not even looking for trouble, like he says: "You stay away, I stay away. Everybody stays happy". But then this Torreto guy shows up in his turf again, some guy steals his engines, his whole family gets raided by the police, and to top it off he wins a pink slip fair and square, but the guy drives off. So he's righteously angry and retaliates. Johnny Tran has a reason to be the bad guy, unlike those in later installments.

Further more the dialogue is actually one thing that I like about this movie. For better or worse, this movie has become one of the most quoted movies among my friends and family. Like many have pointed out before, the dialogue (especially the tech-talk) isn't the best written, but unintentionally this also adds to the believability of the characters. Go to any car meeting and you're bound to hear guys talking like they know all about cars and engines, while in fact they don't. Just like Dom's infamous victory speech. A lot about this movie is all show and no go, but that's also very much the "tuning" scene it tries to portray, in such a way that by now this movie often feels like a time-document, an homage almost, to the ridiculous car-mod culture in those days.

Lastly I think The Fast & The Furious deserves a an extra credit for the original score by Brian Transeau (BT). He perfectly captures the atmosphere of the film with his scoring, particularly taking influence from his groundbreaking debut album "Ima". The later films lack this quality especially whenever "Ludacris" is involved and the entire soundtrack is full of cheesy pop-rap/club music that really doesn't fit the style of the movies at all.

So there you have it, 8/10 for the original Fast & Furious film. Well deserved and still the best of the bunch!

The start of Universal's biggest franchise to date.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
25 July 2015

A slick, adrenaline-fuelled action flick featuring a hot cast, a cool soundtrack, and countless custom cars, The Fast and the Furious is designed primarily to appeal to the young petrol-head crowd—those who would spend a fortune on a sound system for their ride and then blast crap music out of the windows while sat in a McDonald's car park (at least here in the UK). Anyone heavily into car culture will probably wet themselves in excitement over the modified machines on display.

But even if the idea of highly-polished Japanese street cars with more expensive accessories than a Kardashian doesn't get your pistons pumping, there's always the human eye-candy: for the ladies, there's blonde-haired, blue-eyed Paul Walker and bald bit of rough Vin Diesel, while the guys get numerous tasty young women to ogle, including Jordana Brewster as Vin Diesel's younger sister and Michelle Rodriguez as feisty girl-racer Letty. We also get lots of impressive stunts to keep the pulse pounding, with a great chase scene featuring one character dangling from a truck cab while being shot at by the driver, and a white-knuckle jump across railway tracks in front of an oncoming train that results in a spectacular crash.