IMDb > The Fast and the Furious (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 96:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

There's something about Vin

Author: Dan Grant (dan.grant@bell.ca) from Toronto, Ontario
25 June 2001

Every summer a film comes around that takes everyone by surprise. Last year it was Scary Movie and I'm sure in 1977 it was a film like Star Wars and then in 1981 it was Raiders of the Lost Ark. Now I am not saying that The Fast and the Furious is in the same class as Raiders and Star Wars, just that it surprised everyone on the same level. F&F is short on plot and dialogue and even some of the acting is lame, but what it is oozes is testosterone. It pumps your blood, increases your adrenaline and attacks you with fast cars, sexy women and that one invariable that I think it has going for it... Vin Diesel. There is just something about the guy, something that you really can't put your finger on, but he just has it. Maybe it is charisma, maybe it is charm, maybe it is just that he resembles some of the action heroes from the 80's with his chiseled triceps and his slabs of pecs. Maybe it is all those things and maybe it is none of those things, all I know is that F&F is exactly what I had hoped it would be and nothing more. This is the summer movie that I have been waiting for. It's not that the films that have been out so far aren't that great because some of them are, it's just that this is the one that epitomises what summer as a teen ager is all about. It is no wonder that exit polls for this film were around 65-70% under the age of 21. And maybe that is why I enjoyed it so much. I am pushing 30 but isn't it cool to lose yourself in a film that reminds you what it was like to be in highschool. And isn't it cool to watch street racers break 140 miles an hour wile they shoot NOS through their vehicles? Well isn't it?

F&F doesn't contain any machinations similar to a film like Mission Impossible and it doesn't dazzle us with special effects of impending doom like Armageddon did, but it takes us into a world where people live life "a quarter of a mile at a time."

Vin Diesel plays Dominic Toretto, a massive, bald mechanic that owns a garage but street races on the side to make some extra cash. Paul Walker ( The Skulls, Varsity Blues) plays Brian Spindler. He is a cop that has infiltrated the street gang to find out who is highjacking trucks and stealing all their merchandise. There are about four rival street gangs in L.A. and one of them is pulling this off. He has to figure out which one. Of course along the way he seduced by the life, but that is not what we really care about. All we want to see is lots of racing, a few crashes, some fights and some sex. F&F doesn't disappoint. If what you have seen in the trailers of the film excites and entices you, then you know exactly what you're in for. This is not going to win any Oscars for anything but what it will do is entertain you. It will expedite you for 90 minutes into a world where Honda's are souped up to look like Dragons and junkyard scraps are rebuilt from scratch to be better than they were before, better, stronger and faster. If this film appealed to you in the commercial, it will appeal to you on the screen.

And of course there is Vin Diesel. He first made a name for himself in Saving Private Ryan where he played Capparrzo. Then he jumped onto the scene with his excellent and grandiose turn as Riddick in Pitch Black. I think this is the film that got him noticed because no one had even heard of him before this. Then he did Boiler Room and he showed a different side to him. But F&F is all muscle and sheer bravado. I think Vin is going to do great things in the years to come. He is not a nobody anymore. This film will take care of that. And face it, isn't it cool to see the genesis of a new action hero?

8 out of 10- The ultimate summer rush!

Solid movie... Worth renting

Author: skternate from United States
21 June 2006

Today I saw Tokyo drift and yesterday I saw 2 fast 2 furious for the fifth time, but I still find myself drawn toward the original. It stars Paul Walker as an undercover cop who infiltrates the street racing underworld of LA to catch a crook who has been hijacking millions of dollars worth of electronics from 18wheelers, causing the truckers to take matters into their own hands, ultimately ending in deaths and multitudes of money stolen. Now, you would think that because of the semi weak plot, this movie wouldn't be that good, however, the main storyline is just a small part of this movie, the other elements being action and some interesting relationships regarding vin diesels character. Diesel plays a street racing god, one of the best in the LA scene. Walkers character, Brians, way into the world is through Dominic Toretto (Diesel). Toretto has an air about him which draws other in, and Brian is no different. Throughout the movie, Brian is getting to know Dom, earning his trust, etc, but at the end of the movie, both Dom and Brian are forced to make a decision about each other... The whole relationship is interesting to watch. As for the action, there is plenty of it. Besides the many races, there is also some gunplay and some hand to hand fighting, and some interesting hijacking sequences.

All in all the cars are hot, the girls are hotter, the cars are fast, the guns are loaded, and for the more serious, the relationship between Dom, Mia, Vince, Letty, and the others is amazing.

If you haven't seen this movie, rent it tonight

First drive-in movie of the millenium

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
28 April 2003

Brian O'Conner (Paul Walker) wants to join the family of the head of California street racing (Vin Diesel)...but why?

The plot is comic book level; the dialogue is very VERY bad...but who really cares? This is a throwback of those dumb 1970s drive-in movies...it's for people who like loud, fast films filled with mindless action, attractive women, cars...and nothing else. I didn't like the film. It was too loud, too silly and way too long for a dumb action flick. What saves it is some truly incredible action sequences (the "hijacking" sequence towards the end was unbelievable), some very nice, innovative direction, a cast that manages to be good despite the script and a very good performance by Vin Diesel. This was supposed to be Walker's breakthrough film but Diesel steals it away. Also it looks kind of silly to have tall, lean, pretty boy Walker against tall, muscular, severe-looking Diesel.

See it for the action and Diesel. During the slow spots admire the cars or the women.

No brains, but this simple movie deserves a look.

Author: Rob Deschenes (kalibur@softhome.net) from Toronto, Ont. Canada
2 July 2001

FAST AND THE FURIOUS does not try to be something it is not. Therefore, it surprises me to no end that I will say that FURIOUS is a decent movie. For dialogue, everything is one-lined crazy nonsense. Most characters are ultimately cruel to everyone and each other. Some lame brained antics are done. But it all works out. FAST AND THE FURIOUS is definitely for these times and shows all aspects of the real world and who survives in it through cars and the people that drive them.

After losing his job to Dominic Toretto, an untouchable to some, Brian sets out to win his respect by putting his car on the line against the speed demon. Meanwhile, the cops are desperately seeking the perpetrators of several truck hijackings and believe Toretto is the man behind it.

With a built of guilt in me, I am proud of saying that FURIOUS was impressive in its execution. The editing was top notch, the camera work well laid out and some surprising acting from a script made of cardboard. There was not much you could do with FURIOUS, but then it starts to feature more on the engines than the cars themselves. It also never forgets the story. FAST AND THE FURIOUS smokes the competition in its genre, if only for the moment.

An action movie with a some-what plot, hot babes, fast cars, great action and a meet-expectations.

Author: departed07 from United States
1 May 2008

The Fast and the Furious is probably the first movie to get me into cars while at the same time enjoying myself without having to worry about a plot.

Paul Walker plays Brian O'Conner, a hot shot police officer, who goes undercover as a car junkie Brian Spilner to see if a local street racer/mechanic by the name of Dominic Toretto (Vin Diseal) has anything to do with hijacking a bunch of cargo from DVD's, TV's, entertainment sets, and so forth while at the same time falling head over heels for Dominic's sister Mia (Jordana Brewster). Brian comes so close while at the same time gaining trust to the target (Dominic) itself where it's only a matter of time before the truth comes out.

The film itself has the best action sequences involving street racing and high octane action where despite a so-so plot to follow, or one that's been seen before (such as Point Break), you don't have to worry about a thing. It's just pure fun.

The film also stars Michelle Rodriguez (S.W.A.T.) as Dominic's girlfriend, Letty; Ted Levine (The Silence of the Lambs) as Sgt. Tanner, and singer Ja Rule in a small cameo as a contestant against Dominic.

Not as bad as the current rating suggests

Author: mentalcrime from Germany
5 October 2007

If you like cars - this movie is for you. Sure, the cars in this movie are not what an ordinary European lad would regard as decent, some of the parts are quite alluring (T66 with NOS you know... ;-)) but among the car bodies there are some that look way too stereotype (Honda Civics...?).

The story is entertaining, though rarely sophisticated. This, I guess, is the reason for why someone reader of IMDb commented that in this movie Vin's talent was wasted. I consent to this to quite some degree and really suggest to those of you, who haven't already familiarized themselves with the work of this convincing actor to do so as soon as there is a chance to.

Live life 1/4 mile at a time.

Author: Lady Targaryen from Brazil
21 May 2006

I love ''The Fast and the Furious''. Many people are criticizing it in a bad way, saying that this movie have ruined the street car culture among other things.Well, I can't judge very much because I am not(yet) a car expert, but I can say that what this movie did was show to other people who never saw or heard anything like that, another reality that they are not used to see or hear. I became much more interesting in cars(specially tuning them) after watching ''The Fast and the Furious''and a whole new world have become a reality to me. Vin Diesel is awesome and hot (as usual)as the character Toretto,the respected leader of a famous street gang that is under suspicion of stealing expensive electronic equipments. The plot itself is not a profound or a big thing, but the cars and the races in this movie are really awesome!

You gotta love or hate it! :)

trash, designed specifically to play on my generation's stupidity

Author: eupolis from Seattle, Washington
1 July 2001

I personally hated this movie, for several reasons...

Firstly, seeing a ("modified") Civic with a 5 foot spoiler and neon lights, flying down a street at 170mph by a fruity pretty-boy high school reject doesn't excite me. In fact, this was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen.

This movie is aimed squarely at a market of teenagers who add racecar decals, spoilers, and 4 exhaust pipes, to their 35mpg mom-mobiles in hopes that people will think they are cool. I'm also proud to announce that my '84 Volvo is apparently ready to go on hijackings using sophisticated equipment (thing that shoots a hook thing) and extensive planning (shoot the hook thing at the thing), as soon as I get myself a neon light or two and a dorky helmet. OH yes, and NOS!!!!!!!

For help deciding if you'll watch 'the fast and the furious'... If you enjoy movies with a plot, or any other even remotely intelligent values (like adhering to the laws of physics) then this one's a no go, unless you enjoy making fun of things like the little Darias that you are. The special effects are mediocre, just because they either involve fire coming out of cars somehow, or cars flying through the air. They were doing that all the time in the 80s, you know. The characters... yes, they have some character development; By the end of the movie you know that they are all a bunch of losers with way too much money to spend on their Civics. Bottom line: as long as teens are stupid, movies like this will keep being made, to profit on that stupidity. Thats the American way.

It's more than just an action movie.

Author: PWNYCNY from United States
24 October 2011

This is a great movie. Far from being superficial pulp, this movie has a complex plot. Vin Diesel's performance is tremendous; his screen presence is dominating. He succeeds in carrying the movie. Although the movie contains lots of glitz, it also tells a story that deals with themes such as loyalty and betrayal. The rest of the cast is excellent too, especially Jordana Brewster and Paul Walker. Michelle Rodriguez is as usual wonderful. It would be easy to dismiss this movie as being little more than a live action cartoon, but the movie really is full of surprises. It has several intensely dramatic scenes, some of the most incredible car chase scenes, and some deeply esoteric verbal exchanges fraught with emotion. Whether it's Vin Diesel pouting or Paul Walker being heroic, the results are same: nonstop action, intense dialog, and interesting characters, all of which together produce great entertainment. It's more than just about automobiles.

Insanely Fast

Author: Ryan McIntosh from Washington State
25 June 2001

This movie, has by far the best car racing scenes ever filmed, as well as the best cars. They are gorgeous machines, and these guys certainly can drive them. Great story, not just another Gone in Sixty Seconds where all they did was steal cars, there actually weren't very many race scenes as you might expect, but every shot is filled with cars, and lots of them. The acting is great as well, as usual Vin Diesel gives a brilliant performance, as Dominic Toretto. It has already earned a massive following, and when you leave the theaters you will be filed with such a massive adrenaline rush, that you and all your buddies will be left with the feeling that you must go out and race. Everybody I have talked to have said the same thing, it just has this crazy adrenaline rush it gives you. I highly recommend this to all fans of cars, and racing, but it has something for everybody so see it even if you are not a fan of either, bottom line, just see it!!!!!!

Page 1 of 96:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]