IMDb > Down to Earth (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Down to Earth

Down to Earth More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

(((Yawn)))

Author: vealcalf2000 from Pennsylvania
18 August 2001

This was mildly amusing. Nothing really that special. It almost reminded me of "Coming to America" (great film) in the fact that here's a guy who wants the girl who's trying to better the world (in this case save a hospital). The only difference is the later was funny, this is not. Even if you're a Chris Rock fan, I don't think anyone will enjoy this turkey.

Painful

Author: yrrepnr from los gatos, california
14 August 2001

I was in physical pain watching the eyes of the cast as they participated in this sham. Bad dialogue, worse (worst) acting, lifeless all the way, and the cast knew it. The two preceding movies which this attempted to copy had life, sparkle, and were captivating.

Personal comments.... on the horrible-ness of this film..

Author: dannyboyisdead from PR
27 July 2001

Truly and remarkably one of the worst movies ever made (at least after all the editing and watering down for the PG-13 rating). I am not a professional critic, nor trying to be one, but this film strikes me as grotesquely bad in every aspect. Just another one of those totally predictable love stories that, in my opinion, should have gone straight to TV. It is awfully awful, and believe me I tried to make some sense and give the movie and Chris Rock a chance, but.... too bad. Horrible movie. Thank God I didn't go watch it at the cinema.

The thing is, I never really thought Chris Rock was that funny. Sure he does have some moments. I have seen some stuff he's done and I think he's funny sometimes. But this movie was so lame. I expected something that was going to make me laugh out loud. Not even the parts that were funny, mostly involving how stupid Chris Rock's WHITE character looked dancing and trying to be cool, gave me anything more than a smirk. And those parts were actually OK. But please save me from the PG-13 rated movies. I really had no idea it was PG-13. I have yet to see a PG-13 movie that can make me laugh out loud. And save us from more bull#%$^ love stories that touch no one's heart.

Chris Rock...not at his best.

Author: Raven Tollett (benignifan@yahoo.com) from De Queen, Arkansas, USA
18 July 2001

"Down to Earth" was a disappointing one-liner vehicle for comedian Chris Rock. Chris Rock is funny...but not at his best in this film. The best parts come from one of his staff writers named Wanda Sykes. She steals every scene in which she's in. I really enjoyed her character...I don't think it was much different from her real personality considering that the name of her character is Wanda. Ha! Ha! The concept of this film came from the 1978 film "Heaven Can Wait" which was written by Warren Beatty and Elaine May (Primary Colors). It was a misused concept. To everyone else...Lance (Rock) appears to be an unattractive older white man but we don't get to see very much of what they see. We only see Chris Rock...which gave me the indication that this was a low-concept vehicle for him.

I give "Down to Earth"**(C-).

You had better LOVE Chris Rock...

Author: Douglas (dougpaz) from Nashville, TN
18 July 2001

because that is the only way you won't think this film is a TOTAL waste of time and money. A remake of "Heaven Can Wait", (which was at least worth watching) is a poor excuse for a romantic comedy. It is more a vehicle to give Rock some time on film for weak stand up comedy which doesn't play well on the big screen. Especially because his jokes generally are supposed to be from the body of an old, fat, rich, dead man but are shown coming from Rock himself. As he insults Blacks and Whites the chemistry is all wrong. The movie is not funny, poorly shot the acting is weak at best. Go rent "Heaven Can Wait" and a live Rock video and you'll be way ahead of the game.

The ingredients are there, but the chef is gone

Author: sregor
24 June 2001

This re-make of "Heaven Can Wait" with Warren Beaty has all the ingredients of being a great comedy in the classic style. The plot was a proven success in "Heaven Can Wait", and the adaption is pretty good itself. One of the best things about one of these comedies is that low brow humor and silly gags are kept to a bare minimum. The cast is pretty good all around, so why is this movie not the top comedy? I don't know. That's right, I'm not sure. All the ingredients are there, but it seems the chef is gone. What I can deduce as the problems are the directing and the final script. The directing wasn't very impressive and the look of the film had much to be desired. I also think the final script was watered down too much. If you really like Chris Rock, it's worth a look. If not, you'll probably want to skip this one.

dont go see it - i hope i can save you time and money

Author: capnevbo (capnevbo@hotmail.com) from Parts Unknown
18 June 2001

i just walked out - this could be you......... i like chris rock - no wait......i LIKED chris rock. now i hold him responsible for wasting my night, my money, the petrol money to get to the cinema, etc etc. lifes too short people - hell, i wish i'd gone to see "get over it" instead

Not a funny movie!

Author: Chris H from Sweden
9 May 2001

One would expect a movie with a famous comedian in the lead role, to be a funny movie. This is not the case here. I laughed out loud once throughout the whole movie, and that wasn't even during the final comedy-scene (which one would also expect to be the funniest). This is one you can watch when it comes to TV, don't spend any other money renting it.

Rock better than Beatty

Author: tlowry from Philadelphia, PA
9 April 2001

Going into this movie I had no idea it was a remake of Heaven can Wait. It was very much a remake (with Rock playing Beatty's part). I believe that even individual lines were taken from the original and reused.

I wasn't a big fan of the original. But Chris Rock was great. To me, the best scenes were those where Rock is in an old white man's body doing his traditional ethnic standup.

Not even close to the funniest movie of the year (and it's only April), but a good fun film to watch.

"Down To Earth" is out of this world

Author: Troyal G. Brooks
18 March 2001

With a combination of charm, wit, humor and romance; "Down To Earth" has ascended to be one of the funniest films I've seen in 2001. This marks the second Chris Rock movie I have seen and I must say I was impressed with his comedic and acting ability because he kept me laughing throughout the film. It is a true pleasure to take a break from the violent action films and watch a light-hearted comedy meant to entertain.

"Down To Earth" is a very exciting film to watch because Chris Rock's comedy is funny and unpredictable. One the coolest parts of this film was Rock's performance because he knew when to turn off the comedy in the more serious scenes. Furthermore, Rock seemed to fit the part perfectly because his performance looked to pulled off with little effort. This is Chris Rock's breakthrough performance because it proves he is an actor to be reckoned with and not just a one-hit wonder.

The intelligence and creativity of the writing was excellent because it was unique and interesting to see how the script would play out on screen. I was also impressed with the element of the dream Rock's character had about performing at the Apollo. It is a true pleasure and welcomed change to see a legitimate underlying plot that made sense rather than one put in to add extra minutes to the movie.

The supporting cast of King, Addy, Levy and Palminteri play a huge role in the success of "Down To Earth" because each bring their own exciting personas to the screen. All of these actors come from different genres of film, which makes for an interesting mix of characters.

I was extremely impressed with the way each related to one another; furthermore, as with Rock, they seemed to be right at home in their roles because it was pulled off with ease. It is not often that we find a cast who come together from different genres to produce such an exciting and hilarious film.

"Down To Earth" is the best comedy of the year because it combines fresh and original jokes with touching and charming scenes lacking in the other 2001 comedies. Chris Rock is a tremendous comedic talent that knows how to use it to his advantage; furthermore, it is a true pleasure to watch him.

Everything about "Down To Earth" made me smile because it is a truly touching film that isn't holding anything back. Chris Rock rules the screen with his comedy and the writing is out of this world. I wish I could have been part of this film.

I can't wait to see Rock's next film because I know he will pull another great comedic performance out of his hat. His comedy, charm and wit made this film worthwhile and deserves all the praise it has received. I give "Down To Earth" a directed verdict of guilty of being the funniest film of the year.