IMDb > Deuces Wild (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Deuces Wild

Deuces Wild More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Not as bad as most viewers say

Author: mikepwong from Whistler, BC, Canada
4 April 2003

Deuces Wild has gotten a lot of unfavourable comments by viewers and critics. I didn't think it was such a bad movie, especially considering the budget the producers and director had to work with. With the limited funds to make this film, the scenes were filmed with very few takes - giving it a 'play' feel.

The story reminds me of "The Outsiders" and "West Side Story" - which I found to be one of the down sides of the movie, but I still liked it overall.

Stephen Dorff gives a great performance as Leon, the Deuces leader. Supporting actor Mr. Renfro did not impress me however. A couple of the actors from "The Sopranos" play supporting roles. Drea De Matteo looks awesome in this film.

Rating: 7 out of 10.

very drastic

Author: whoTheFuqRyou from NYC
8 February 2003

I liked this movie, it was very unrelenting and dark - The fight scenes are pretty intense especially the last one. A good story about an exploding gang rivalry, there are good performances from Fairuza Balk, Brad Renfro, Drea DeMatteo and others but the two actors from the Blade series really stood out here. I'm talkin' about Stephen Dorff(Blade, Judgment Night) and Norman Reedus(Blade 2, Boondock Saints), they were great in the rival roles of Leon and Marco, they really brought their hatred for each other to life, good job...

Not highly memorable...

Author: Coventry from the Draconian Swamp of Unholy Souls
26 October 2003

Don't you hate it when you're standing in the videostore and you already saw all movies that there ? Those are the moments that you rent movies like Deuces Wild...these kind of titles are never high on your list but you take them anyway because the synopsis doesn't sound too bad and you know the washed up actors in it from their earlier - more glorious - roles.

The stories of these movies are never highly original. We've all seen it before. The only thing movies like this can do is provide the story with a few interesting twists, cool characters and some good looking settings and locations. And, I'm not being too harsh today, Deuces Wild succeeds in doing so. The story takes place in the 1950's. After he lost his brother to an overdose of Heroïne, Leon ( Stephen Dorff ) founds the "Deuces". A steetgang that tries to keep the Brooklyn neighborhood clean. Opposite to this, is the Viper streetgang. Their leader is about to get released from jail and he ( Norman Reedus from Boondock Saints ) wants to take revenge because he thinks Leon framed him. It looks like a war between both gangs can't be avoided even though the true king of the Brooklyn streets, Fritzy ( a small but great role by Matt Dillon ) , strongly warned them not to fight.

Deuces Wild contains a lot of decent actors who never really reached the highest status. You've got the ones I already mentioned, but also known names like Fairuza Balk, Brad Renfro and Deborah Harry. The cast also includes a few upcoming names like James Franco and the annoying ( in my opinion, of course ) Frankie Muniz. They also deliver pretty decent acting jobs but the show gets stolen by the nice and good 50's settings. We're talking old-timers, juke-boxes and lots of hairgel. You're never touched by the story or the characters and that's the biggest disadvantage of this movie. You don't really care who wins or who loses. You never feel involved in the story, but you don't mind watching it. If you ever come across it on TV or at your local videostore...give it a go. It stands for an hour and a half of fun.

Intense action!

Author: ksmo313 from LA, Cal
4 May 2002

This movie was basically just a good guy vs. bad guy movie. Its one of the best that I've seen since the "Outsiders"! Its definatley a movie that should be seen on the big screen! The acting was awesome, and the writers did an excellent job on the script. There are really no upsets in this movie, and no sex or nudity. This is just a good movie that i reccomend!

Very Disappointing

Author: tpaladino from United States
26 September 2011

Hmmm... a tremendously talented young cast, tried and true subject matter and Martin Scorcese producing. A sure thing, right?

Nope. Not even close. Before seeing Deuces Wild, I'd read all the mediocre and bad reviews on here but decided to give it a shot anyway, because I've been pleasantly surprised in the past. But not this time.

The film is weak in every possible way, except perhaps for the setting and art direction. The story is nothing but one cliché after another, with zero originality and very little to hold your interest. The director managed the clever feat of getting horrible performances from excellent actors, although the writers deserve some credit for that also, as the script seems to have been written by a middle school class that was locked in a room with a DVD of West Side Story and a crate of doo-wop albums as their only reference material.

I honestly couldn't even get halfway through it. I have no idea how Scorcese could have attached his name to this project, even as a producer. Did he even read the script?

It's just a really unfortunate movie. If you're an absolute die-hard '50s addict, I suppose you'll find something entertaining in there, but other than that, steer clear. Not worth your time.

The Outsiders: The Next Generation.

Author: powermandan from Canada
15 January 2015

Deuces Wild is a gangland movie that pays homage to other gangland movies, with the most evident being The Outsiders. Matt Dillon even has a supporting role. This is not as good as The Outsiders, but isn't bad either. As I said, it is a homage movie that is a great watch.

Deuces Wild's most parallels are from The Outsiders as I mentioned, but what makes this more unique from The Outsiders is the characters. Stephen Dorff is protagonist, Leon. Leon is the fierce leader of Brooklyn street gang, "The Deuces" who keeps control in the neighbourhood. The late, great Brad Renfro plays his hot-headed little brother, Bobby. The Deuces are rivals with another Brooklyn gang called "The Vipers," and chaos spews when Bobby falls in love with one of the Vipers' sisters, who is played by Fairuza Balk. That makes situations worse when the Vipers' leader, Marco (Norman Reedus) is released from jail. Each character in this is great and would have been a nice addition to The Outsiders. Leon is like Dallas Winston, but Leon is more respectable and there's more visible goodness in him. I can just imagine Bobby being being an Outsider too. Marco would have been a great addition to the Socs, as they were missing the vicious counterpart that would have balanced out the war.

Bits and pieces have been stolen from On The Waterfront, Rumble Fish, Bad Boys and The Outsiders. But the entire cast all do mighty fine. This is Dorff's best role and one of Renfo's best.

Some Lines Should Never Be Crossed

Author: wes-connors from Los Angeles
13 December 2009

"In the sweltering summer of 1958, the Deuces, a gang of Brooklyn toughs, find their turf threatened when the leader of a rival gang, the Vipers, is released from prison. Leon (Stephen Dorff), the Deuces' leader, tries to guide his boys through bloody brawls to keep the Vipers out. But when his brother (Brad Renfro) falls into a sultry - and dangerous - relationship with Annie (Fairuza Balk), the sister of a Viper, and his own girlfriend is brutally attacked, Leon and his gang are plunged into an all-out war to save his brother, his girl - and his neighborhood!" according to the DVD sleeve description. This is definitely no "Basketball Diaries".

Think of it as "West Side Story" getting hit over the head with baseball bats and steel pipes, stickball having left Brooklyn with the Dodgers. "Deuces Wild" has some cool Hollywood sets, 1950s cars and soundtrack songs; and, much of it is nicely photographed by John A. Alonzo. The story and direction never get beyond these strengths, which enables the film to peak during its opening minutes, and proceed downhill. The cast looks good when you read the credits, but translates into an ageing, flabby mess of phony pompadours, blood, and Brylcreem… and one fright wig. A sense of sadness and regret permeates the production.

*** Deuces Wild (5/3/02) Scott Kalvert ~ Stephen Dorff, Brad Renfro, Fairuza Balk, Frankie Muniz

2 hours of my life have been wasted..

Author: slappy76 from New York City
13 August 2003

It was awful plain and simple. What was their message? Where was the movie going with this? It has all the ingredients of a sub-B grade movie. From plotless storyline the bad acting to the cheesey slow-mo cinematography. I'd sooner watch a movie I've already seen like Goodfellas, A Bronx Tale, even Grease. There are NO likeable characters. In the end you just want everyone to die already. Save 2 hours of your life and skip this one.

Really mediocre. Worth a look for a great Norman Reedus performance

Author: NateWatchesCoolMovies from Canada
24 March 2016

Deuces Wild isn't a great flick, and not even a really good one at that. It's an interesting, eclectic effort though, one that's maybe too hectic and unfocused for its own good. It's cobbled together from other similar stories like The Outsiders, The Warriors and the like, and feels too committed to derivative motions to come up with anything unique and all it's own. Yet still, the cast alone and the antics they get up to, separated from plot cohesion and an overall view, are enough for a casual glance. It concerns an New York street gang called the Deuces, running amok in the streets and causing all kinds of trouble with rival hoods, powerful neighborhood bosses and the ever corrupt legions of New York's finest. Leon (Stephen Dorff) and Bobby (Brad Renfro) run the Deuces and are determined to keep drugs off their turf, while a rival gang called the Vipers wants to flood the streets. Bobby takes up with the sister (Fairuza Balk) of a Viper, and the gang also deals with Fritzy (a laid back Matt Dillon) a senior executive in the crime underworld. The plot is a rambling mess with way too many characters running about inanely, some of them played by James Franco, Drea DeMatteo, Vincent Pastore, Deborah Harry, Louis Lombardi, Johnny Knoxville, Balthazar Getty and Malcolm in the middle. The performances ate all pretty forgettable except for Norman Reedus as Marco, a positively evil rival gang member with bloodlust for the Deuces. He doesn't show up until well into the film, but injects it with some much needed virile menace by staring down and stabbing everyone he can. Like I said it ain't the best movie, but the cast will keep your attention and there's a few moments of tension to keep it going.

Amazing!

Author: Reanna Keller from United States
4 February 2015

I don't understand why people say this movie is terrible! Being a fan of Stephen Dorff, I saw this movie in the movie store and decided to rent it. It is an amazing movie and I was hooked in the first twenty minutes.

The acting is awesome. Norman Reedus (Prior to the Walking Dead) and Stephen Dorff do an amazing job in their roles. The late Brad Renfro is awesome as well. The other actors are as equal as the others.

For it taking place in the 50s, it honestly does feel like the old times. The fighting scenes are perfect and I wouldn't give this movie anything less than 8 stars.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]