IMDb > The Year of Maria (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Year of Maria More at IMDbPro »Año Mariano (original title)

Fun and Funny!

Author: onedoubles from London, England
18 January 2004

I just have to say that this is one of my favorite spanish films. It is a little bit simple, but I REALLY think that it is damn funny. Don't expect to see an Oscar winner here, but do expect to see something pretty funny and good hearted and FUN!

One of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

Author: davidwferreira from Porto, Portugal
27 September 2004

I saw this movie by accident. I was at the theatre, had seen pretty much all the movies showing... and than I saw a poster with a pot leaf, and a church glass window in the back. I decided to take a chance... and I'm glad I did! It is not only a beautiful and very simple movie... as it manages to criticise a lot of institutions/groups of people in our society... such as the Catholic Church. The only problem with the movie, which isn't really a problem as it is beyond the grasp of who did the movie... is that you have to reasonably understand Spanish or Portuguese, to get some of the (and best) jokes. If u do... you'll be able to appreciate the movie to it's fullest... and there's quite a lot to appreciate. It may not be ur style of movie... but it's definitely worth seeing at least once.

vamos a hacernos un porrito, hombre!

Author: depeche-4 from spain
29 September 2001

I saw this movie for the first time at the cinema, when it came out. I hated it absolutely. I thought it was the biggest crap I've ever seen. No humor, no laugh... no comedy. But now, a year after the first view of the movie I saw it again with some friends... and now I think that it is one of the best comedies I've ever seen. The humor gags are there... in the movie... but most of them are hidden. There are a lot of intelligent gags that are incredibly funny. So, if you have seen the movie and you don't like it, please, put the video tape again and watch each minute of the movie carefully, because the humor is there... and it's really very funny. In 3 words it is INTELLIGENT STUPID HUMOR, and if you are intelligent enough to get the gags you will laugh a lot... for a long time... Maybe at first you'll be disappointed... but the next viewing... is superb... I've past from giving it a 1 to giving it a 10. PERFECT

Weakly Drawn Characters, And Puerile Dialogue, Added To Plot Weaknesses Devalue An Attempt At Anti-Establishment Satire.

Author: rsoonsa (rsoonsa@bandbbooks.com) from Mountain Mesa, California
22 September 2009

Dramatic episodes are interlaced with scenes that are probably intended to claim comedic intent in this Spanish-made farce that is handicapped by a small budget and tight shooting schedule, serious obstacles to be sure that face veteran actors Karra Elejalde and Fernando Guillén Cuervo, who also serve here as co-directors as well as sharing the lead roles and contributing to the script. The film has been a popular success in Spain, while finding little favour outside that nation. Reasons for this general lack of approval are several, including a less than cogent point of view being provided by the directors, and dialogue that too often becomes merely an assault upon viewer sensibilities. Although the plot line clearly furnishes potential for constructing elements of irony, erratic character development in conjunction with awkward editing results in a good deal of cartoonish burlesque marked by wearisome exaggeration. Shortly after action begins, intoxicated travelling salesman Mariano (Elejalde) loses control of his automobile while upon a rural road and drives into a field that is part of a clandestine marijuana plantation. While a drunken Mariano decides to stay put and sleep it off, a squad of local Guardia Civil sets the illicit plants afire and he, obviously under the influence of the burning weed, fancies that he has seen the Virgin Mary, apparently because he had been listening to a call-in radio programme hosted by a "Maria" Vélez (Silvia Bel) before he veered into the crop. While recovering in hospital, Mariano gibbers about his religious vision, attracting the interest of evangelical nun "Sister Trini" (Gloria Muñoz) who, along with her votaries and a confidence man, Enrique Torres, or "Tony Towers" (Guillén Cuervo), salute Mariano as a prophet, combining their energies to build a holy shrine at the seared site of his near immolation, therewith raising large sums of cash, at the same time developing a fresh persona for the former salesman whom they prevail upon (against his better judgement) to accept this new sacred status. The film is overlong, with a surfeit of harrowing scenes featuring Elejalde that, through inordinate usage of the most oafish forms of profanity, are apparently designed to be some type of comedic comment upon Roman Catholicism and other Spanish institutions. These are unsuccessful in their attempts, as the spiritual exploits of Mariano, Tony and the others seem only able to claim success with the simplest of provincials. Additionally, there is dialogue filled with punning wordplay that is virtually untranslatable into a non-Spanish tongue, with a result that English only speakers will do a good deal of head scratching at the subtitles. Released upon a Venevision DVD with special material including Spanish language only interviews with the two principals. Both audio and visual quality are estimable.

Pretty Hilarious.........

Author: onedoubles from London, England
1 June 2003

Hey, I just have to say that this movie is pretty damned funny. No, the plot doesn't blow you away but the humor is there and I had a lot of fun watching it. Since seeing it the first time I have passed along my copy to friends and they have also enjoyed it. So, if you want to see a good/fun movie watch this one.