IMDb > "The Others" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Others" More at IMDbPro »

Excellent show!!!

Author: (craftor2@aol.com) from Tennessee
19 October 2000

I was such a huge fan of this show. Unfortunately, like NBC always does to its supernatural shows (may I draw your attention to "Quantum Leap"), they cancelled it. This show was so great -- showed a balance of good and evil, reality and the paranormal, drama and humor, with all the amazing twists of a typical Glen Morgan and James Wong story. This show wasn't given a fair chance! Too bad NBC would rather produce a million expensive pilots that won't last instead of keeping this potential gold mine.

Laura E. Krycek

A more cerebral supernatural-themed show. I loved it.

Author: sg60 from Toronto, Canada
11 July 2004

It's a shame that this show didn't last longer because it deserved to. There's very few shows like this available on television. I found it genuinely creepy which is very rare. The subject matter is treated seriously and the writing is very good with interesting story lines. The viewing audience is treated with respect unlike most shows in this genre that are very formulaic and only appeal to the lowest common denominator. The cast is likable and the characters are all conflicted which helps build the drama. Perhaps most importantly, the thrills and chills are honestly earned through the stories, not through cheap stunts. The wonderfully creepy atmosphere supports the stories rather than the reverse. I would highly recommend this show to fans of the supernatural genre.

A unique paranormal experience with each show.

Author: Bryon Kluesner (bryonkluesner@aol.com) from Southern Illinois, United States
29 March 2003

This rare show should have been showcased for it's cutting edge surrealistic look at paranormalities. Each persona was intriuging and unique. The relationships between the group had my imagination tweaked with what could really be possible. The show was fun to watch and I think the netwoks get spooked too quickly when they find a show like this and just doesn't know what to do. If done the right way, it could have been huge - like what CSI is doing. Too bad it was overlooked. I have the episodes on tape and re-watch the shows frequently. I am a fan!

They should had given this guys a bigger budget.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
16 August 2005

I always enjoyed watching this TV-series with a supernatural basis. In my opinion it had lots of potential and could had become the new "The X-Files". The 'low' budget was however painfully notable at times with its special effects and it was obvious that the creators had to restrain themselves with the stories for the different episodes because of the 'lack' of money. I'm positive that with some more money this TV-series could had become a big success but unfortunately they stopped the show after one season.

The characters were all solid and all had their own interesting background. The characters were most definitely strong and interesting enough to carry the series.

My favorite episode most definitely was "Souls On Board", later I found out that that episode was directed by no one less then Tobe Hooper who made the movies "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (1974) and "Poltergeist" (even though I'm still convinced of it that Spielberg did the most directing on that movie, I think Hooper only did some of the technical aspects on that movie.).

I'm sorry it must have been years since I've watched an episode of "The Others" but I seem to remember that the series had a good opening theme composed by Klaus Badelt, who is now a much better known and acclaimed composer for movies like "The Time Machine" and "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl". A bit off topic but you should also check his musical score for "K-19: The Widowmaker" out. It's a score worth owning but unfortunately not one easy to get. The score for the series itself was composed by highly underrated composer Shirley Walker, who worked with Danny Elfman as an orchestrator and conductor for years.

If you get the chance of watching "The Others" on TV as reruns, make sure to do so then. The series is worth your time and has solid characters and some good writing. Unfortunately this series will most likely not be easy to catch and I also don't think that they are ever going to give it a DVD release. A shame because this series had tons of potential and is worth to be seen by everyone.

P.S.: Oh and could someone please remove the Nicole Kidman poster on this page! This series has absolutely nothing to do with the 2001 movie "The Others" starring Nicole Kidman and directed by Alejandro Amenábar.

"The Others" was a Great TV Show

Author: littlewing-2 from United States
16 February 2005

I really enjoyed watching "The Others". I think they were just starting to really build the characters and the plot and boom "It was canceled!" Seems to be the way it goes with a lot of the really great shows.

I felt it was an original idea by taking all types of characters and all types of their psychic abilities and meshing them together to make up a wonderful show. Each with their own unique ability and each helping the others learn to use and understand their gifts. Furthering them along in their own individual journey.

I would've loved to see this show continue but maybe it was just ahead of it's time. I know I watched and waited for each new episode. I was really sorry to see this one end.

I loved it and would encourage you to watch it if it ever comes out on VHS or DVD.

Better than most of the crap that was on at the time...

Author: capnpluto from Texas, United States
22 November 2004

This show was original and entertaining. I liked the characters and the supernatural basis the show was based upon and i looked forward to each episode.Each character had a specific type of 6th sense and Elmer, the group leader was the most powerful psychic of the group but Marian was quickly becoming a powerful psychic herself yet not in control of her abilities.Souls on board and 1112 are just a couple of favorite episodes but i liked them all.Kristen Cloke made for an interesting villain for the group. The series was too short to continue developing the characters which would have made for an even more interesting show. I agree that this isn't for everybody but for those who like originality, then this is for you. Hopefully, the complete series will hit DVD soon and who knows, Sci-Fi channel may decide to pick up the episodes and resurrect the series after a nearly 4 year slumber (wishful thinking). Thanks to Glen Morgan and James Wong for attempting a great series that a lot of people were unfortunate enough to miss.

Two words: GREAT SHOW!

Author: CatDog
1 April 2000

Some may compare this show to "The X-Files", but I think that this takes the more psychological way out of mysteries, while "The X-Files" solves by way of medical evidence. Since tonight's episode was the first repeat, I thought I would come on to this board to review it. The past 7 or 8 episodes were outstanding, some of my favorites (and scariest) being the pilot episode, "Eyes", "Theta", and that one with the wallpaper (I forgot what that ep. was called). Julianne Nicholson is a great newcomer...I liked her in last year's "Storm of the Century", which I thought was great, as well. I also love the stupidness of Kevin J. as Warren...most will probably remember him from "The Mummy". Bottom line is, I hope this show doesn't get cancelled -- I'm glad they moved it from 10PM to 9PM, probably to get a bigger audience. It's a great show and should be more recognized.

I thought that this was a pretty cute show

Author: A-Ron-2 from Storrs, CT
11 February 2000

I am not the biggest fan of TV shows (particularly "supernatural TV shows), but this one caught my eye last weekend and I thought I would give it a shot. I was not disappointed (nor was I overly impressed, but hey, it was the first episode). This seems like a potentially interesting show about psychics and the supernatural which could achieve some level of respectability if it does not allow itself to get too bogged down in stereotypes and cliches. I like the chick that plays the main character (I think she is cute, and I thought she was wonderful in The Love Letter), and I think that the rest of the cast has potential.

I see that in traditional X-Files fashion they have already planted the seeds for at least one peripheral, continuing plot line (which should be able to hook people), and that they are not afraid to do some genuinely creepy things (the dead chick in the bathtub was pretty intense for TV). With any luck this show will overcome its lame beginnings (anyone remember the first season of STNG?) and perhaps produce a fine serial story line for Saturday night viewing. However, in all likelihood it will be cancelled immediately and no one will even notice.

Good show - what happened?!

Author: alumni72 from United States
31 October 2006

I really enjoyed this program - I watched every episode. Until - what happened? Was the show SUPPOSED to end after less than a season? Did NBC force a show-ending episode where all the characters were killed off in outlandish ways? I would love to see this show come out on DVD - I would love even more if someone would bring it back and bypass that ridiculous 'final' episode. The episodes were well-written and the special effects were pretty good for a supposedly low-budget program. The characters were developed quite well - not quickly and superficially, but in a natural way that drew us along with the story line as it exposed each character's personality, past, talents, etc. - and there was a desire to learn more about the characters and their past, especially Elmer, the 'leader' of the group. But all that was sabotaged by who knows who? Was it the writers or the network who decided the show should end? And why do it in such a was that it could never be brought back? It seems vicious, as though maybe the network deliberately killed the show out of spite. For what, I don't know...but if anyone does know I'd love to hear about it.

Uncertain but compelling

Author: Ripe Peach from Glasgow, Scotland
12 November 2001

"The Others" is a curious show. An ensemble cast stumbles their way through a seemingly perpetual stormy night, dabbling in the occult and generally having Scooby Doo hijinks, only with more backlighting and less running around and cries of "Zoinks!"

On the downside, the characters and actors are fairly anodyne and uninvolving, and there are too many of them for the viewer to identify with any of them in particular. The dialogue tends towards the cliched, and the acting is occasionally over the top and verging on the farcical.

Plusses though: the cinematography is excellent, with a genuine sense of tension and claustrophobia. This is difficult to sustain, but "The Others" does a fine job of it. Or rather, *did* a fine job of it, before it was cancelled.

Like "Space, Above and Beyond", Wong and Morgan have created a show that you want to like more than you really do. It's easy to convince yourself that "The Others" is a better show than it actually is. It's good, but not great, the sort of show that you'll happily watch if it's on, but not one that you'll go out of your way to catch if it's in an awkward timeslot, and that was it's bane. Special interest shows have to be much better than average to break out into the mainstream. "X Files" managed it, "The Others" failed.