IMDb > Green Dragon (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Green Dragon

Green Dragon More at IMDbPro »

A courageous and beautiful film

Author: moeller-1 from Sacramento, CA
2 August 2002

This film went beyond anything I had ever expected it to be. The acting was incredible, the scenes were moving and the characters memorable and beautiful. I was so happy to see Patrick Swayze back and looking good and of course Forest Whitaker was fabulous. His relationship with the young Mihn was touching. Please, go rent this movie; you won't regret it.

10/10*

This movie is a must see

Author: filigerr from United States
15 April 2011

I honestly do not understand why this movie is getting the kind of reviews it is getting.

The acting was brilliant in all fields, I found the little boy who play Minh's character amazing, especially for that age.

Very touched by the stories of every individual just because they where in a camp away from all the war doesn't mean the war is not there(including Swayze's and Whitaker's charterers of course). I found that the story to bring out a different part of the Vietnam war that is constantly looked over, well every war for that matter.

Strictly a movie that is about people life story. I keep seeing reviews how they felt it was an "Anti-American" film because of a few scenes... Honestly the movie about the emotions of the people who is not in their home country that is being torn up from their own people, and their only way out is to live in a camp that is completely foreign. Try to comprehend that.

This is a very good movie and it is worth a watch.

My favourite movie of the year

Author: Tan CK (upuc0@lycos.com) from Malaysia
19 July 2003

'Green Dragon' is a low cost but well made movie. It is about going through the hardship of life. There is hope no matter how dissapointing our life is. Anybody who felt their life worthless should watch this film.

The songs and music are very good also.

I can't believe this movie is only rated a little over 5/10.

Author: fredhag from United States
11 July 2003

I honestly cannot express how much the movie moved me. I was an emotional wreck at the end of the movie, and that is saying a lot for an old jarhead. Without being an expert or having lived through the turmoil of the time time and place, I can only guess that the movie did a fine job touching on many if not most of the challenges, pressures, and sources of depression that came with being a Vietnamese refugee.

WATCH IT

Author: gte411i from Los Angeles
15 September 2004

I would recommend this movie to anyone who would like an accurate perspective of the South Vietnamese people. Unlike the previous critic, I will leave any misinformed politics aside. Although the war was highly political, and the movie does comment on the war, the film is not based on any political agenda like the previous critic leads you to believe. Instead, I believe the movie's focus is on the human stories of people struggling to forge a new life after their country was taken away from them. What is refreshing and what gives the movie credibility is that the director and most of the actors are Vietnamese, many of whom went through similar experiences as depicted in the movie after the war. In that sense, the movie is real, not just some form of propaganda "intended for the not-too-bright oversentimental without-a-dose of a history-lesson or critical thought Americans." It is a movie for Americans, Vietnamese immigrants such as myself, and people who dare regard the United States as the great and imperfect hope that it is.

One word... AWESOME!!

Author: vyperman7 from San Jose, CA
7 September 2002

Green Dragon was absolutely amazing. I found it to be very realistic in portraying what it would be like back when the Vietnamese people had to live in the refugee camps.

This film is very touching as well. I loved the relationship between Minh and Addie who is played by Forrest Whitaker. The character Minh is a little boy who is forced to come to America with his uncle and his sister. He is constantly searching the camp for his mother and father. While this is going on, he develops a friendship with Addie. Addie is a cook and a talented artist. Minh and Addie bond because they both like to draw and love comics.

I also liked the other parts of the story as well. Tai's character was great. He plays the camp manager and keeper of the peace. He has to deal with Minh's mother and father not being there and how he had to leave without them.

There are other cool little stories mixed in, but you should watch it for yourself and find out. This really is a very moving film, and it should not be missed.

Those still alive after a war.

Author: tvashtar2919 from United States
16 November 2005

This story is about tragedy and the uprooting of whole societies. This specific story is a telling of Vietnam, but it could be transferred to many other moments in history. When a people have their whole lives destroyed by war, then how do you start over? We see the various forms that emotions can go through, and how each individual deals with them. Even when everything is gone, you end up with choices. How you handle the worst of times, can determine how you live out the rest of your life. There is not a right answer in most cases, but you have to find a way to continue.

Patrick and Forest are only extras in this movie. They help create the set up for the refugees, who must find a way to begin again. Some want to go back, which is almost impossible as life can never be the same after war. The continual theme throughout this movie is a longing for peace. Emotions are stretched to the end as people search for loved ones, and search for meaning. There is always hope when looking to the future, but the devastation of loss will never be forgotten.

It is a very good telling of how wars affect the survivors. The headlines are written down in the history books, but life is continued on a personal level. It is hard to imagine what it would be like to actually survive, and yet it has happened so many times in the conflicts between cultures.

Not so much the story of the Vietnam war but of refugees everywhere

Author: venchonduc from United States
30 January 2005

The Green Dragon is not particularly a story of the Vietnam war but of the refugees of every war: Their fear for themselves, their missing family members and friends, and their fear of the unknown culture they are being thrust into. Their hopes and their dreams, also. The story itself is about the easy interaction between the little boy who is looking for his lost mother and the black American cook, and the uneasy interaction between the adults of both nations. The Vietnamese characters are very real in their humanity - good, bad, young, old. The film introduces certain aspects of Vietnamese culture (polygamy - filial devotion) that few Americans are acquainted with. It should be noted that the main Vietnamese actor, Don Duong, upon his return to Vietnam was put under house arrest for 6 months for "embarrassing the Vietnamese people".

Hunt this film down and see it!

Author: Juliet McDaniel from Chicago
15 April 2002

This is an absolutely beautiful and touching movie dealing with a very painful time in history. Great acting, wonderful script, fantastic little details--a near perfect film. I just hope it can find its way to more screens.

Very nice film.

Author: martay-2 from Atlanta, GA
22 February 2002

This is a great story told by patient and skilled filmmakers. Tim Bui and his brother Tony Bui ('Three Seasons') know how to make a touching film come alive with great characters and performances. I saw it at Sundance and felt that the performances by Forrest Whitaker and Hiep Thi Lee, and Vietnamese Actor Dong would warrant real attention at least with the Independent Spirit Awards.