IMDb > Proof of Life (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Proof of Life

Proof of Life More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 27: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Excellent Movie

Author: Terry Grady from Nova Scotia, Canada
12 February 2001

This movie was the best movie I've seen of late. Action, drama, and a bit of a love story in there. Brilliant storyline, and excellent acting tie this whole thing together. Can't wait for this to hit the DVD rack.

great movie!

Author: travelpack from japan
9 February 2001

it's a great movie,there's good chemistry between crowe and ryan.the action is really great!personally,i think that russell crowe is a great actor,maybe the best.he could play any role,he's face shows everything and he's one of those intelligent actors that could deliver very well.brilliant performance!

Unbelievable Plot

Author: Steven Prasetya (prasetya.steven@mailcity.com) from Singapore
1 February 2001

Well, it doesn't matter that in real life both leads were having an affair, but their on-screen romance was dead! Not to mention the unbelievably stupid sub-plot when Russell Crowe decided to help Meg Ryan in rescuing her husband.

Both leads were acting badly, anyone else could have done it much better! I'm surprised that both were acting as if they were on their very first movie or something. Those years of experience just didn't show!

The rescue scene was quite good though, but that's about it.

Fun, but romance not needed.

Author: lai-rem from New Haven, CT
12 January 2001

This movie surprised me. It was a lot of fun, and worked very well as a thriller/action movie. But there was no need for the romance--I've heard that they cut out a lot of romantic scenes but that someone made them leave some of it in. Why? The roughly 3 scenes that imply romance are out of place for the plot, characters, and mood of the movie. Fortunately, these scenes only take up about 2 minutes of screen time, so they aren't really disruptive.

smart, suspenseful, and beautifully acted

Author: famouschris from Calgary, Alberta
5 January 2001

My fiance and I went to see this movie last night and can do nothing but say good things about it. The two leads were phenomenal. I mean its Russell Crowe and you should expect it but that's not always the case. You don't always see accomplished and intelligent actors put 100% into their work and make the film their own. Meg Ryan is not an academy award winner but she, as mentioned by other comments, stepped up for this film completely. She went further than i've seen her go before and the result is a pleasure to watch. The unspoken chemistry between the two of them is incredible. It built slowly as the film went along and you could see it throughout. Not in what they said, but what they did, how they acted around each other and the way they looked at each other. Some armchair-actors may say that this is easy to do but its not, especially not to the effectiveness that they did it. The film itself was beautifully directed. I agree that it would not have its effectiveness without the two leads but it is still a very well done film. Not original, not a new idea, but directed with such quiet finesse that you completely put yourself into it. I sat literally on the edge of my seat throughout the entire movie. This IS NOT something i do regularly! I am a big fan of David Caruso as well and his part is not huge but performed very well as Crowe's friend and partner, and it should be stressed that he acted as not just one but both of those two things. Shades of NYPD Blue came out as he portrayed a professional who was very good at what he did as well as a smart and caring friend. I find in many movies that you do not see the two sides clearly enough. To sum: great acting, beautifully directed and plenty of suspense to keep you on the edge of your seat. Don't expect a creative, original idea, just a beautiful and intelligent application of an old one.

It was good.....

Author: angel4l (angel4l@aol.com) from Arizona, USA
5 January 2001

I just saw "Proof of Life" about two hours ago and I remain unimpressed. I guess it was good. It was enjoyable, but nothing really stood out from any other action movies. The plot was slightly unique so I didn't know exactly how it would end but I had a hunch. Anyway, see it if you want to or don't... you won't miss too much.

An utterly seamless action adventure

Author: Arwyn (arwyn@poboxes.com) from Seattle, Washington
3 January 2001

I must admit that I went to see this movie with mixed expectations. The whole thing with Meg Ryan dumping her husband for Russell Crowe during the making of 'Proof of Life' was just a little much for me to handle. I mean really, she had Dennis Quaid, did she really need Russell Crowe? But enough about that.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the movie. The editing was absolutely flawless. There was no down time anywhere, and I was mesmerized by the sheer liquid quality of the story line. Everything flowed so beautifully. The cinematography was great and from a compositional standpoint, the movie was amazing to watch.

Character wise, I think Meg Ryan really dug into her role. There was no 'dumb blond' stuff for which she is so famous. It was highly reminiscent of her role in 'When A Man Loves A Woman'. All the characters were very well drawn, sparingly drawn, but enough to give you a good look into what made them tick as people. There are no words to describe Russell Crowe, but I will try. I've never seen a movie of his that I didn't like, and this is no exception. His character was perfect - the strong, silent type on whom a woman can whole-heartedly depend. I wish they made them like that in real life.

*Warning* Some comments in the following paragraph could possibly be construed as spoilers.

As far as the whole steamy romance thing that hit the tabloids about this movie, I was agreeably surprised. Because of the tremendous media interest (according to Newsweek), the director took out a good deal of the romantic scenes between Meg Ryan and Russell Crowe and I was very pleased with the result. This is no 'Bridges of Madison County' in South America. I don't think it lost anything because of the judicious editing.

All in all, a very artistic action movie that I enjoyed from beginning to end. What a pleasant surprise.

A well made movie

Author: TaurusMSM from Cleveland, OH
3 January 2001

A well made movie that would have been much much better had they removed the love story. They could have cut it out with little to no effect on the script. It was pointless except for damaging the believability that Meg Ryan really wanted her husband back. Other than that, it was another excellent performance by Russell Crowe. In my opinion, better than his work in Gladiator. Proof of Life was a movie worth seeing despite some of its flaws.

intense with a plot

Author: (ronderrella68@hotmail.com) from Boise, Id
25 December 2000

I liked this movie very much because it was intense. It had passion; when Russell Crowe and Meg Ryan had their next to last scene, you could feel it. This movie had a plot, that you could not follow completely, you couldn't just second guess what was going to happen. I love that in a movie. Russell Crowe is completely sexy and honorable. I thought the ending was good for Meg Ryan, however I felt sad for Russell's character.

Enjoyable, but not spectacular.

Author: walker-24 from Prince Albert, SK
20 December 2000

Russell Crowe and Meg Ryan are well known Hollywood veterans, and we obviously expect a lot from them. Perhaps it is for this reason that this movie seems to lack something. The talent and professionalism of both of these actors will be obvious when you see this film since the characters of Alice and Terry are both quite believable. Where I found this movie a little disappointing was in my emotional connection to these characters. I expected to be on the edge of my seat with anticipation at the end of the picture, and instead found myself merely curious as to the outcome. Nevertheless I did have an enjoyable evening watching this show, if not a spectacular one.