IMDb > The Grand Bounce (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
11 August 2010

Great Bounce, The (1937)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

Decent but extremely far-fetched Pete Smith short about a man who writes a $1,000.00 check knowing that it's going to bounce as soon as the bank opens in three days. We then see this man panic as he can't raise enough money to clear it but at the same time we see the various hands that the checks passes to. Tourneur made several shorts with Smith and the two's talents usually worked very well together but those expecting to see some of those classic touches from the director are going to be disappointed. You really can't blame him as the story here is rather weak and in the end it really doesn't add up to too much. I think seeing the various people that wrote their name on the check just wasn't interesting enough even for just a 9-minute film. None of the characters were all that interesting and that includes our leading man who we're suppose to feel for. A lot of the film goes for drama but nothing is dramatic and the comedy bits seem out of place and never work. In the end this thing is mildly entertaining but considering the talent you can't help but wish there was more.

Up and Down

Author: boblipton from New York City
11 August 2010

I am a great fan of the Pete Smith shorts from MGM. His snarky narration adds a lot of humor to almost any situation. Likewise, I enjoy the movies of Jacques Tourneur, an ambitious director whose long career in shorts and B movies were a matter of never quite having that breakout hit.

Here, however, in this short subject about a man who writes a bad check that will be cashed in three days and its movement through various hands over that time, the two have attempted to mix a series of comic and dramatic incidents over those three days and while the comic incidents work --- typical Pete Smith narration and sound effects -- the dramatic ones come off rather flat. I think the piece decent, but suspect that I would rate it lower were it not for my general fondness for the talents involved.