IMDb > Finding Home (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Clichéd, contrived, silly

Author: suzanne_moulton from United States
12 July 2005

Being from Maine, I sure wanted to love this movie..but I didn't! The plot was contrived and in several ways, quite silly. The first half of the film dragged mercilessly, while at the same time facets of the plot were not fully developed, making the story line weak and non-sensical and the characters shallow. It makes no sense that this young woman who so loved and missed her grandmother would not have returned to see her as soon as she was old enough to be independent from her controlling mother, especially with the level of animosity she felt toward her mother. The film touts Amanda as being "an ambitious young executive" who has a "busy career," yet all we see of her at her job gives the impression that she is nothing but a receptionist with nothing on her mind but her birthday and her boyfriend. The false memory idea fails miserably, its "moment of revelation" totally lacking in energy and focus.

What should have been a good plot, fertile ground for a poignant and meaningful film, was sadly wasted. What a disappointment!

Beautifully filmed; highly recommend over Hollywood movies

Author: bangle450 from United States
13 October 2007

Would give a 9, but I'm giving a 10 to try to counteract some of the overly low ratings (in spite of the 14 awards!).

Definitely recommend for girls, not only because of type of story, but also as this gives a good example of what kind of guy to avoid.

Recommend for anyone because of Genevieve Bujold, and of course the location filming, done apparently at great difficulty.

I really enjoyed the musical score, which is one of the most beautiful I have heard in a long time.

Again, this great effort won many awards, and so an overly low rating is childish, and can really be ignored. I would definitely suggest seeing this fine independent film.

A waste of Maine scenery, viewer time

Author: beiser from Maine
26 July 2005

The photography is beautiful. The actors are attractive and their characters have moments of interest. I enjoyed the first half hour or so of a slowly unfolding story of family conflict, nostalgia for an interrupted youth. Frequent flashbacks enlivened the development of the backstory.

However, the slow unfolding became a plodding march from incident to incident more akin to the animation of a bulleted list than the representation of a maturing person.

The acting and cinematography talent are wasted on an overly long, contrived, unbelievable and trite plot. The writing is wooden to the point of embarrassment. My wife summed it up: This is the movie equivalent of a Good Housekeeping novel, in the worst sense.

Mystified

Author: nicola-ramsey
16 January 2007

How did this movie win an award and receive a four star rating? Was it four stars out of ten or what? It was so BAD, so unbelievably soap-opera predictable, that it had me mesmerized.

I found myself waiting desperately for the dog to return, since his acting outshone that of any of the human actors. The main character was ridiculous, her friend was so ill defined as to be non existent and her love interests were A) clichéd and B) wooden.

And what is with Genevieve Bujold? I could say that perhaps she has fallen on hard times, but her acting was as weak as the rest. I've been to high school plays with more believable characters than these.

How do movies like this get funding?

Excellent movie, highly recommended!

Author: digitalbloom from Victoria, BC, Canada
23 August 2006

My wife rented this movie recently, and when I saw the IMDb rating of 4/10 I almost didn't watch it. I'm so glad that I changed my mind! We both found it very touching and enjoyable... While it had a slower pace than movies I usually watch, it pulled me in and I soon found myself completely immersed in the story. Finding Home touches on issues of the problems that can arise from long-held family secrets, and the difficulties and eventual joys that can arise through truth and forgiveness. It also highlights some of the important things that can get lost in the shuffle of everyday life.

The acting, cinematography and music were also top notch (I plan on ordering the soundtrack this week from Amazon.)

If you have a chance to see this uplifting movie, don't pass it up... Highly recommended. 9/10.

Bland, harmless film-making

Author: lunchmoney-1 from Rutsmouth, MA
14 September 2005

I saw this film earlier this year at a film festival and I found it to be dull, uninspired and unoriginal. It's the filmic equivalent of a glass of warm milk or elevator music. Servicible acting, workmanlike direction and competent writing: it's all as flavorless and exciting as plain white bread. Don't get me wrong, it's not "so bad it's good". It's so bad it's boring! If you like your films mild and movies with interesting characters and story lines are too spicy for you, I highly recommend "Finding Home". It won't get you all riled up, in fact you can sleep right through it. Don't worry about catching it on the festival circuit though, wait a couple of weeks and watch it on Lifetime where it belongs.

I'm not sure where all of the positive reviews are coming from - I guess the director must have a lot of friends. Good for him.

Bad, bad, bad

Author: tedinbc
22 March 2008

This film was so bad that I quit before it was finished. I would have watched it in a flash, just because Genevieve Bujold was in it. I don't know how she could ever have got mixed up in this load of trash. The plot was weak; the acting was terrible; and the script was atrocious. The background music was like a 1940s 'B' movie.

The script was filled with inconsistencies. A friend who has never been to the island agrees by telephone to come for the weekend. She finds her way there - including the charter boat trip - without directions. After she arrives, she starts crying with loneliness because she needs her boyfriend - after one day in a vacation hotel with her girlfriend! Everything else is as zany, inconsistent and unlikely.

It seemed to be trying at Bergman, but it got about as close as Animal House without the humour. Don't waste your money on it. With that music, it's even useless as a sedative.

touching story, beautiful Maine coastal photography

Author: anlwing from United States
11 December 2006

"Finding Home" is a warm and touching story, the title being an apt metaphor for a story of many levels. The time elements are well-handled, going back and forth from past to present, in such a way as to make sense and not be confusing. The pace of the film matches the pace of the natural lifestyle of living on a Maine island. As a native Mainer I was pleased that the artists used a natural style of speaking rather than using fake-sounding Maine accents, which also reflects the current way of life on the Maine coast, as over the past decades more and more "people from away" have become Mainers making their livelihoods on the coast, so it is naturally less occurring to hear true "down-east" Maine accents in a tourist setting. And the different sounding accent of the inn keeper seems realistic for the Maine coast. The plot is interesting to me, of a young professional woman returning to Maine as an adult who has forgotten much of a significant childhood time that she left a decade or more ago. In that respect, it is one of the parallels that remind me of the movie "Dolores Claiborne". I have to honestly say that I didn't always find the quality of acting in "Finding Home" to be as sophisticated and experienced as I found in "Dolores Claiborne", but i did find it to be believable and genuine. The quality of the story, however, is heartwarming and very touching. There is enough intrigue to keep one's interest in wanting to find out what happens next. There is brilliant acting of some complicated roles and scenes, in particular those of the mother in the picture. The flashback scenes are believable, and while they lead to the unveiling of a traumatic event, that event is blessedly less horrific than the viewer has come to dread experiencing. And the quality of the movie, visual and auditory, is kinder on the senses, and a welcome relief from "too loud and shocking" that I find all too often in current films. At the end of the movie I felt peaceful and satisfied, and relieved with the honest depiction of characters. Most human beings are not all good or all bad, and some of the most difficult issues in the lives of the characters are treated sensitively and in a well-rounded, realistic and matter-of-fact way. I am grateful to have been treated to a really good story without jarring instances of violence, bad language, raw sex, or brutality. Very well done!

the movie is playing on my TV as we speak...

Author: scottklassen from Canada
16 November 2006

I feel a bit like the girl in the cheesy teen horror flick, as she dials 911 for help when the killer is right in the house with her... I'm watching the movie right now, and I feel like I have to do SOMETHING to get help... This is the most awful movie I've seen since Hope Springs. The writing lurches, the characters stumble, and the music swells repeatedly like that nasty, recalcitrant pus-filled boil on Farmer Bean's neck. Brutal - sorry, this film simply has no redeeming features. Photography? Scenery? Bulloney! Buy a calendar of the coast of Maine, if that's what you're after. Somehow, the main character's looks of concern, fear, sadness, fatigue, and anger all seem to be the same - and I find that it's impossible to care just which one she's trying to portray. The dramatic flashbacks are oh-so-undramatic, and oh-so-annoying. Enough.

Finding Home ROCKS! A TOP 10 for me....touching & lovely!

Author: kkarenw from United States
19 October 2006

This movie moved me in a very profound and subtle way. So much so, that I watched this movie twice, listened to the directors talk thru, watched every little snippet of the DVD. Finally, I tracked down the creators of this movie to share my experience. Never done any of that before! (& i don't know the writers, but would like too!)

First off, the location is magical. I was transported to a most amazing place in Maine. The beautiful scenery captured my heart right off. Then the characters. I loved that they were real actors, not Hollywood big names. I cared about Amanda and thru that empathy was able to very easily give myself over to her as she genuinely transformed thru her experience of returning home.

I cried, laughed and was transported to a place that smelled of a curious memory of moments long ago. Snuggle with some snacks, your favorite chair and a blanket...and enjoy! One of my top 10 favorite movies ever! Ignore any bad press and see this movie! It's so special!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]