|Page 1 of 4:||   |
|Index||32 reviews in total|
I haven't watch wrestling for years. I've grown out of it, but even today when I hear others say, "Why do you watch wrestling? It's fake!" to others, it still urks me. Being fake is no reason not to watch it. YES IT IS FAKE! But so are sitcoms, soup operas, and just about every other TV (with the exception of those "reality tv" shows, but even some of them are actually fake). Only watch it to enjoy it. Don't let the fact that its fake sway the way you feel about it. It's like not listening to a certain singer because they are gay and letting that be the determining factor, even though they make good music. So who cares if its fake? If a kid wants to believe its real, then just let them. Why spoil the fun for someone?
Unlike Monday nights, Smackdown brings the wrestling in their program.
In the past, they got all the greatest wrestlers, legends, stars of
tomorrow such as Randy Orton, Batista, Rey Mysterio, Lashley, Kid Kash,
Mexicools, Paul London, Matt Hardy, Hardcore Holly, JBL, Booker T.,
Chris Benoit, and sometimes The Undertaker PLUS the future of this
sport in The Boogeyman (strange dude), Stacy Keibler, Orlando Jordan,
MNM, Sylvan... but even now, the roster is brilliant !
I can't get enough of 2 hours, 2 hours is not enough for such a good show. I am a wrestling fan and it's the reason why I love so much Smackdown and dislike RAW since 2002 because all the entertaining, wrestling and interesting story lines are.
Smackdown is the total package, sometimes it have his ups & downs but right now since Wrestlemania, the show is back at what it always was, a top WRESTLING show... plus you have very good entertaining... Edge is the greatest heel of all times, MVP funny and charismatic as usual, Jeff Hardy a human highlight reel... Undertaker is the deadman and nobody can stop him, Mr.Kennedy is really entertaining and cut decent promos, Festus & Jesse are really over and talented, the champ Triple H is something... Well you have all you want in this show plus cute chicks like Michelle McCool, Victoria & Maria to make this show, really complete!
Friday Night Smackdown - it's a wrestling TV-show that is shown every week on TV. It is not some kind of boring field of sport where everything is made up. It's the other way round - wrestlers have incredible matches and there are huge rivalries between them. You can see unbelievable fights, wrestlers being sued, famous people visiting the show and much more. When even Mike Tyson, Arnold Scwarznegger and Ben Stiffler have visited it, why shouldn't You like it. The number of different match types is huge, that makes the show last for ever, e.g. "You can't see me" match (1 wrestler is blindfolded, the other one is not), "Chairs and Tables" (these are used as weapons), different types of cage matches, "Ambulance match", "Buried Alive Match", and many matches with women, e.g. "Bra & Panties Match", "Evening Gown Match", and much more. When you see it, you can't quit it.
This is a great wrestling show! Great Talent and everything. I don't
know if it is as great as Monday Night Raw but it is Second if not tied
at first. Like Raw it has lots of great new guys and lots of great old
ones. They have new guys such as Randy Orton, Batista , MNM and Older
guys such as Bob Orton and Animal. I tune in when I can to watch
Smackdown! but sometimes I work on Thursday's. I asked my work to try
not to book me Monday nights for obvious reasons. But I recommend this
show to any wrestling fan who is in for a good watch of some great
The World Wrestling Federation has never been this popular or this action-packed. With younger guys, wrestling became faster and a hell of a lot tougher. The most popular wrestlers of this generation, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, The Rock, and Triple H, are definitely boosting up the TV ratings with their bad attitudes and bone crushing moves. A guaranteed winner for the Nielson ratings, "WWF Smackdown" can literally jolt some adrenaline
Ever since the brand extension in April 2002 it's been fairly obvious that
Smackdown is the stronger show. And while WWE seek to flush all of the SD!
talent to help boost the floundering Raw show, SD continues to provide
better wrestling on a week-to-week basis.
That said, Smackdown is not without its own flaws. I'll go into those in a moment.
But, first the good elements of the show.
1) a fresh and entertaining commentary team. Tazz and Michael Cole are no J.R. and The King- and they're much better for it! While Raw's announce team had to hop into the ring in September 2003 to make a change, Cole & Tazz don't need that kind of gimmicky crap. They focus on the action (not harp on about puppies or put Triple H over) and have respect for the wrestlers in the ring. [One of the things I hate about Heat is the fact that Marc Lloyd and Jonathan Coachman just cannot call a match, instead waffling on about what's happened on Raw. It's a lack of respect for the wrestlers- no wonder Heat is regarded as a relegation!] Tazz is one of the best colour analysts I've heard (and adds some comedic value- particularly crooning along to The Cat's theme tune 'Somebody Call My Mama'!) and Michael Cole has really come on as a commentator in his own right. A good commentary team is essential for a wrestling show and Smackdown are lucky to have such a good team.
2) A great roster of superstars. While Smackdown has lost a lot of its stars from the original draft pick (Jericho, Matt Hardy, Randy Orton, etc) it still has a great array of superstars- Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Rey Mysterio, Eddy Guerrero, John Cena, Shelton Benjamin, Charlie Haas and even The Undertaker has his moments! The roster- particularly the use made of it is also one of my pet peeves about the show.
3) Better solo-PPVs than the Raw show. Compare Bad Blood and Unforgiven to Vengeance and No Mercy and it's obvious that Smackdown can put together a superior PPV.
4) PPV-like matches often on the show. While Raw are happy to churn out lacklustre matches w/ Mark Henry every week, Smackdown! has, on numerous occasions, held PPV-quality matches. Examples: TLC 3, the Edge-Guerrero ladder match, the 60 min Lesnar-Angle Ironman match, a Royal Rumble, 2 battle royals and one of the matches of 2003- Undertaker vs Kurt Angle in a one-on-one match for #1 contendership. Even recently, the Rey Mysterio-Jamie Noble match on Smackdown was BETTER than their match at the Royal Rumble. Smackdown provides frequently.
and finally 5) Smackdown is, for the most part, a younger show giving time to non-established stars. (At least it was originally.) Cena, Orton, Edge, Mysterio, Lesnar all flourished on Smackdown. Compared to Raw, which has a decrepid Ric Flair, a worn-out and downright poor Triple H, Kane and Mark Henry, Smackdown has a fresher feel to it.
As I said though, Smackdown is not without its faults. There are a few:
1) McMahon overload. 2003 was quite simply pure and utter hell for me. Action speaks louder than words, but Smackdown was barely audible last year w/ Vince and Stephanie hogging the limelight. Every week would start w/ Vince and another promo. It was a joke. Stephanie was a joke as a GM and Paul Heyman is doing an absolutely fantastic job as the current GM at the moment. Vince and Stephanie even booked themselves into matches on the SD-only PPVs- Steph vs Sable, Vince vs Zach Gowen, Vince vs Steph- it was abominable. Vince and Stephanie were ruining their own show for the most part of 2003 and I hope such an occurrence never happens again. I don't take kindly to promo time taking away from match time or non-wrestlers getting matches where other actual wrestlers suffer on Velocity or dark matches. Hopefully SD will continue along the road it's on now without the McMahons interfering.
2) Stupid storylines. Mr.America. Dawn Marie and Al Wilson. The Undertaker's "affair". I'm saying no more except these were embarassing and unnecessary.
3) Misuse of the roster. In particular here, I mean misuse of the entire Cruiserweight division- since when has the division been 3 guys (Mysterio, Tajiri and Noble)? Shannon Moore, Paul London & Billy Kidman are fantastic talents yet WWE lets them sit on the shelf and passes at the opportunity to expand the division. It's ridiculous. And the loss of Brian 'Spanky' Kendrick was in my opinion a huge blow. Tons of charisma and a brilliant wrestler. They didn't know what they had. It looks like Ultimo Dragon will go the same way- what an embarassment for this well-renowned Cruiserweight.
Benoit and Guerrero were also criminally misused in 2003- the former wrestling A-Train or the F.B.I frequently, the latter in a feud with the Big Show! Things are looking up for these two though, thankfully.
4)Misuse of the roster II. Ignoring the Cruiserweights and pushing overweight slobs or "legends" (read: geriatrics who can't string a move set together.) How A-Train, Nathan Jones, Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, Big Show, Matt Morgan, Rikishi, Chuck Palumbo and Bradshaw got unlimited TV time in 2003 while the above superstars (Cruiserweights) got relegated to Velocity shocks me. Hogan and Piper put on the worst match of the year at Judgment Day and Hogan is an overrated embarassment who can't wrestle worth a damn. His Mr America feud w/ Vince was pathetic.
The problem is- if WWE decide they need to cut the roster, no prizes for guessing from which list they'll choose from.
5) Main events limited. Angle and Lesnar has been overdone a bit. They need to put a few new faces up for title contendership- NOT Undertaker. Good to see Eddy Guerrero get a shot and I hope it's the start of things to come.
Weighing up the pros and cons SD is a much more watchable show than Raw. While its use of its star power is highly questionable, at least the action is generally very good.
Could be better though. I'm begging for an expanded Cruiserweight division. Hopefully 2004 will be a good year for it.
Unless a drastic loss of superstars to Raw occurs, I don't think SD should worry- it has a better GM, better commentary team and all-round better matches. I don't see this changing anytime soon.
WWE has done it again. First it was WWE Raw now it is WWE Smackdown! This show shows again all types of shows from fatal 4 way matches to streetfights. I am a wrestling fan myself and watch this show from england. My favourite wrestler is Triple-H and he is still the best in the game.
Smackdown! is intended as the follow-up to Monday Night Raw . Smackdown! has more actual Wrestling , and less segments and interviews . This is a better show for fans of old-style WWF , because it resembles the good old days of 'Saturday Night's Main Event' and 'Prime Time Wrestling' when there were less pyrotechnics , and more wrestling . This is a truly excellent show , and better than raw if you're new to pro Wrestling .
WWF Smackdown is a great and entertaining show that includes the world's favorite wrestlers: Stone Cold and The Rock, with MANY more. WWF is a really fun show to watch and keeps you entertained while watching them wrestle. I give WWF Smackdown a 10 out of 10 tv show!!! The Rock is tight!!!
*** This review may contain spoilers ***
This was never quite as good as Raw, but a top notch show regardless,
in my opinion, however it was kind of dull the final couple of years.
It had many of my favorites, Stone Cold, The Rock, John Cena, but as I
said until it changed to Friday nights, I really lost interest in
Smackdown, as there was hardly anybody who interested me except Cena, I
never enjoyed JBL as champion, and while Eddie and Angle were both
great champions, when JBL got it got a little boring. Cena was a very
good champion on Smackdown for a short while, before he got shipped to
Raw in the draft, and of course it also had "The Game" Tripple H! plus
it had so many other great champions as well. Until recently though,
this was always the inferior show to most people, including me, however
I always felt it was underrated, plus One of the coolest moments of all
time is when Stone Cold helped Vince Mcmahon win the WWE title. It's
also famous for Arnie showing up on Smackdown, and it lots of other
memorable moments as well, plus Stone Cold created many brilliant
moments of course!. This was never quite as good as Raw, but a top
notch show regardless, in my opinion, however it was kind of dull the
final couple of years, still it was a wonderful show!. ***** out of 5
P.S It looks to be getting back to where it was, now that it has a lot of great young talent!.
|Page 1 of 4:||   |
|Ratings||External reviews||Official site|
|Plot keywords||Main details||Your user reviews|
|Your vote history|