IMDb > Spy Kids (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Spy Kids

Spy Kids More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 20: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

I love that music

Author: vivianle411 from Canada
13 May 2006

This movie is a good thing to watch because kids can learn from this experience that these kids have. This movie shows u about passion. It shows just because your have a sibling doesn't mean u have to be mean to them. Later on you will thank your parents on having your sibling. If you think your life is hard enough think about this movie all the troubles that the kids in this movies had to go through. They had to save their parents. Imagine you in this movie. And having to go through all the hardships passing your way. All you got to know is that this movie is the best. The best in the world. It is out of this world. now think about the kids. It shows that skipping school is bad. It shows even if you are little. You still have a big BRAIN. And thats not all you need in life. You need your looks. Your sympathy and no more then that is enough.

Entertaining kiddie-flick

Author: Mel J from Dundee, Scotland
2 April 2006

For a film aimed primarily at children under twelve, 'Spy Kids' is surprisingly amusing enough with plenty of action and comedy to keep both kids and adults happy. The film is the first in a long line to use the idea of child spies as the plot device with the story itself centring on twelve-year-old Carmen and her eight-year-old brother Juni as they strive to rescue their spy parents from the grasps of Floop, a campy TV presenter with dreams of world domination.

There are, of course, an abundance of special effects in the film that are of a decent quality and a number of intriguing James Bond-like gadgets make their appearance. However, what makes this film engaging is the interesting story that walks a neat line between being moralistic without preaching (we have the typical sibling fights but they band together in tough times as well as topics such a trust and familial loyalty being touched on) and not taking itself seriously (the adult characters are there mainly as comic relief back-up to the child leads and they revel in this role). Also, the child actors, Alexa Vega as Carmen and Daryl Sabara, show they are talented enough to carry off the bulk of the film themselves with limited support from Antonio Benderas and Carla Gugino, who play their screen parents.

Unlike the lukewarm sequels, 'Spy Kids' is the kind of children's flick that older family members won't mind watching since the funny and action-packed plot and appealing performances by all the actors involved provide fun for a wide age range. In fact, the only problem I have with this film is that we can predict many mediocre copy-cat films, using the child spy concept, to be produced for the next five or six years until another fresh idea comes along, ripe for the rip-off.

Goofy, Lovable, Thrill-A-Minute Comedy Action Junior-League Spy Thriller

Author: ShootingShark from Dundee, Scotland
21 August 2005

Carmen and Juni Cortez' parents keep an amazing secret from them - before their kids were born they used to be top international spies. When they are kidnapped by the villainous Floop and Minion, who are building a robot army of copies of world leaders' children, the two kids must learn lots of spy stuff fast so they can rescue them. Along the way they enlist the help of their estranged Uncle Machete, escape from the double-agent Miss Gradenko and confront evil robot versions of themselves.

This is a wonderful action-packed comedy spy movie which rattles along non-stop and is packed full of funny characters and Rodriguez' tremendous visual style. It somehow manages to romanticise spy movies and cheerfully send them up at the same time, and there are many terrific action/effects scenes (the kids' escape in a mini-submarine, the jetpack chase scene, a helicopter ride). The terrific cast give it their all - I particularly like Gugino, Trejo and Patrick, but everyone is great and Vega and Sabara hit just the right notes as the kids. They are kinda cute, but they argue good-naturedly; Vega has a great long-suffering quality and Sabara is just plain irresistible as the put-upon Juni, who not only has to save the world but get rid of his warts too. The movie is zippily shot by Guillermo Navarro (who has a walk-on as a minister), has some great music by Danny Elfman and features some cool special effects makeup by the Kurtzman/Nicotero/Berger group. Rodriguez made this movie as a labour of love for his children and it shows in every frame - it's just so much fun, and has a great underlying theme of families looking out for each other in the face of crises. He wrote, directed, edited and co-produced the picture, and also co-wrote the music and co-supervised the effects. This is a great director and a man who makes movies to entertain.

*Grin* Wow...

Author: Japan Cauthon from USA
2 September 2004

Wow, after avoiding the series for years I got to see the movie SpyKids 3-D. Far from being lame and not the type of movie I like, I enjoyed it enough to watch SpyKids a few days later. Boy, what a surprise! I got to sit back and enjoy life again as fantastic stories were woven before my eyes, entwined with a pinch of realistic human emotion and a hope for growing up into something that exists despite the seeming impossibility of it. Be careful, innovative, compassionate, and completely unafraid of pursuing that which you love beyond all else. The height of enjoyment and good feelings I picked up during this movie was only paralleled by the soaring of my imagination as I went to sleep that night. What a beautiful way to make a kid's movie.

Entertaining as heck. Forget your an adult for a second and watch!

Author: Lee Bartholomew (sage_patrynxx@cfu.net) from Cedar Falls, IA
28 May 2004

okay. so.. I'm almost 29 and here I am enjoying a kids movie. Frankly I don't care. Sometimes a fun movie such as this... lets the critic in me out to dry for a bit. After watching silly movies like Clockstoppers and so on.. This movie was totally fun to watch. The only disappointment. It's short. But hey it's fun nonetheless. Perhaps the spy kids can take a lesson from Harry Potter... and run one of their movies 150 minutes long. ;)

Quality: 7/10 Entertainment: 10/10 Replayable: 9/10

A good start.

Author: Drew-Barrymore-Obsessed from Earth
11 April 2004

Spy Kids - Daryl Sabara, Alexa Vega, Antonio Bandaras, Tony Shaloub, Mike Judge, Cheech Marin, Carla Gugino.

The Plot - The Cortez family children find that they have to find there parents on a OSS mission so therefore they are spy kids with there parents. They try to rescue them from the evil Floop and his missing Foolglie.

What I thought - Good movie, It had potential and it was not a see it and weep it like you wasted you're money.

What was good - It had a nice family touch cause it was PG rated hey I liked it. People who didnt rent it buy it.

It is a 10/10

Will Rodriguez ever run out?

Author: Adrian Smith (trouserpress) from Eastbourne, England
10 February 2004

Spy Kids is the brain child of Robert Rodriguez, better known for more adult-oriented, violent productions such as Desperado, Dawn till Dusk and The Faculty. Mellowing in his (slightly) old age he has created a film that his children could watch and enjoy. He wrote, produced, directed and even edited this film, and deserves as many awards as possible. Spy Kids is a film that the whole family will think is cool. Hopefully Hollywood is realising that the best kids films, both commercially and artistically, are ones that the parents will enjoy as well. Spy Kids is full of unusual characters, amazing special effects, jokes by the bucket load and even celebrity cameos to boot. I took my little brother to see it, and he loved it.

Briefly, so as not to give too much away, Antonio Banderas stars as a secret agent who, along with his secret agent wife, has retired from the spy game to raise a family. They are persuaded to go on one final mission to investigate the whereabouts of some other missing agents, where things start to wrong (with hilarious consequences), and the children are unwittingly called upon to save them.

This is one film that all kids should see, along with the rest of their family. I promise you, it's not a film they'll forget!

A kids movie that proves adults (or parents) could watch this film also.

Author: departed07 from United States
4 October 2003

My parents used to tell me that once I reached a certain age, no longer was I suppose to watch cartoon flicks or kid movies but films that a ten year old boy were suppose to watch: action films filled with blood, carnage, neat monsters and so forth.

When I first heard that Spy Kids was out back in 2001, I was already used to the technology of DVD's replacing VHS movies while at the same time hearing how this movie directed by Robert Rodriguez captivated both children and adults alike. Yes, I said it. Even my high school teacher Mr. MacAulay told me that he liked the film more than his daughter Fiona in which he was delighted with the special effects and cool story line.

To my review of the film, Carmen (Alexa Vega) and Juni Cortez (Daryl Sabara) think they have it pretty bad with their lame parents (Antonio Banderas and Carla Gugino) who aren't hip like their peers parents. What they don't realize is that both mom and dad are international spies who forbidden themselves from making any more espionage attempts until getting a briefing that a couple of their field agents have been kidnapped where it's up to them to save them.

However, once the parents are kidnapped, it's up to Carmen and Juni to take their parents positions and save them.

"Spy Kids" is a whole lot of fun with a big set of innovated techniques from Robert Rodriguez where I didn't feel bored from the first minute of the film.

James Bond was also a kid too.

Author: mack3175 from Metairie, Louisiana
29 September 2003

A cool family film with awesome special effects. Two sibilings(Alexa Vega and Daryl Sabara) are suddenly pulled into danger, when they discover that there parents(Antonio Banderas and Carla Gugino) are secret agents, and they captured by a madman. It's up to these young ones to rescue them. A film you can enjoy again, again, and again. It's well acted by everyone.

the greatest children's movie ever

Author: ThermalHeat (bbickley13@yahoo.com) from NYC
24 September 2003

At 1st i thought spykids was going to be grabage until i found that robert rodregez was behind the project, so i had to see. and i was so impressed i saw it twice. It was definely one of those movies that was fun for the whole family. it's very impressive when a director can make an action flick that u can take your kids to. robert rodregez does it again