The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy
Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Worth Joining

Author: NIck Bassett (nickbassett1981@hotmail.com) from Bournemouth, UK
25 March 2004

Greg Berlanti's film is worthy of a lot of praise in a society where gay men tend to only fulfill certain stereotypes. A character, Howie mentions how he would like to see gay men being represented as something other than the woman's best friend, the hustler, the aids victim or the sex addict and this film does tend to try hard to avoid these stereotypes. The script is brilliantly written and sparkles when it is at its peak. At its worst, it may be a little bit cliche ridden but hey..it also has originality ( I have taken "Meanwhile" and now its commonplace down ere!) and is not afraid to portray gay men as just a group of lads who are falling in and out of relationships, liek any other group of young men. However certain characters do tend to bring the pace down a little and it does sometimes seem to have the sentiment that gay men have got it so bad compared to everyone else in the world. Timothy Olyphant stands out here in an able cast, made up primarily of TV actors. My only grumble was the inclusion of the lesbian couple who seemed to only be there to represent the ladies and also to give Howie a meatier role. 4/5

Loved it!

Author: Steve from New York
30 April 2006

I know people have their problems with this movie, but I happened to catch it at the perfect time in my life. I think every young gay male should watch this movie and see that there is life after coming out. It's nice to see a gay movie that isn't a GAY movie. The main characters all happen to be gay, but that is not the focal point of the movie. There is no sub-plots about AIDS or dealing with same-sex marriages or disapproving parents. The movie starts when all that stuff has already happened. It really makes you think. Two thumbs up! The cast is superb. Although not superstars, the movie has some well seasoned actors; including Fraiser star John Mahoney. Zach Braff does an excellent job as does Andrew Keegan, Dean Caine and of course Timothy Olyphant. Kerr Smith also has a small cameo but well worth it. This movie begins to break down the stereotypes of gay men and comes up with some great gay lingo that my friends and I have adopted.

This movie changed my life

Author: jeremyzuni from Los Angeles
14 April 2005

The day I was finally able to admit to myself that I was a gay man I rented this movie. That first viewing changed my life. It helped me envision a life a hoped was ahead of me. During my first year of being out I watched this movie so many times and still watch it about once a year.

The first time I saw it I thought it was one of the best movies I had ever seen. Time has dimmed my view of it but it still a must see for any newly out (newbie) gay man.

The script is well written. Some of the direction is a little off but it was a low budget film. It is also fun to see all these mainstream actors like Dean Cain, Timothy Olymphant and Andrew Keegan playing gay.

"I can't decide if my friends are the best or worst things that happened to me."

Author: Doug Phillips (janabro@aol.com) from Seattle, Washington
7 January 2002

That statement is part of what makes this is a terrific film about love, friendship and betrayal -- betrayal of friends, the people you are supposed to care most about and ultimately yourself. This is also a film about facades, lying and truth telling.

From the opening montage of `Gay or Not Gay' in a supermarket this is a film with many laughs and people that you want to care about.

A true ensemble cast, ostensibly headed by Timothy Olyphant as Dennis, is only part of what makes this a fine piece of cinematic work.

Dean Cain (Cole) as the pretty-boy actor at one point says about his obvious good looks: ‘It's my way in ... and then I have to prove if I have the #@%* to back it up.' Mr. Cain proves that he does have the ability to back it up.

Matt McGrath (Howie) as a man searching for love and doesn't realize he has it within his grasp, has a Mathew Broderick look that is very engaging.

The always-interesting John Mahoney is outstanding as the coach of the `Broken Hearts Club' baseball team that wears the uniform of his restaurant and bar where the perennially losing team goes after their pathetic attempts at playing baseball.

Colour becomes a character as embodied by Robert Arce as `Purple Guy.' He speaks only once in the film -- but it is worth listening to.

There are many outstanding actors -- many currently in television series -- John Mahoney (Fraser), Zach Braff (Scrubs), Chris Payne and Ben Weber who have both done time on `Sex in the City.' But it was particularly nice to see Jennifer Coolidge who will always be Stiffler's Mom in the `American Pie' films. Andrew Keegan as Kevin the `newbie' is exceptional -- learning about himself and life in West Hollywood whether he wants to or not.

This is very much writer/director Greg Berlanti's film -- these must be people he knows and so writes about. At one point one of the characters says 'they should make a movie about us.' Well, Mr. Berlanti did and it is quite an accomplishment because even though the characters are gay the lives they lead, the questions they ask, the problems they face and the joys they experience are universal.

Fine ensemble cast ignites OK comic drama

Author: Libretio from Co. Durham, UK
5 March 2005

THE BROKEN HEARTS CLUB: A ROMANTIC COMEDY (2000)

Aspect ratio: 2.39:1

Sound formats: Dolby Digital / SDDS

The lives and loves of an LA softball team, comprised entirely of gay men.

Greg Berlanti's heartfelt drama seems a little timid in the wake of confrontational entries like "Queer as Folk", but the former producer and co-writer of TV's gay-friendly "Dawson's Creek" makes an otherwise auspicious directorial debut with this familiar account of several gay friends looking for love and companionship in vanity-driven Los Angeles. As one character puts it: "Gay men in LA are a bunch of 10's looking for an 11."

Essentially the tale of a Queer sports team comprised of staff and management at a popular restaurant run by elderly patriarch John Mahoney ("Frasier"), the film's paper-thin narrative is roused by a combination of lively dialogue and well-defined characters, played to perfection by a terrific cast, culled mostly from the New York stage: Ben Weber is the 'Plain Joe' whose inability to attract a boyfriend is due more to his lack of self-esteem than absence of personality; Dean Cain (Superman himself!) is a hunky aspiring actor who leaves a trail of broken hearts in his wake; punk-style Zach Braff portrays a gym-queen, wilfully blind to the dark side of gym culture; Matt McGrath and Justin Theroux are ex-lovers who can't seem to let go of one another; and Andrew Keegan is the cute new kid who stumbles into this disparate group whilst struggling to come to terms with his burgeoning sexuality. The unofficial pack-leader (Timothy Olyphant) is smart and sassy, and increasingly aware of the personal opportunities he's sacrificed in his relentless pursuit of casual sex with strangers.

The actors invigorate a fairly routine scenario, though Olyphant (whose demonic good looks have typecast him in too many villainous roles) dominates proceedings as a young man standing at the crossroads of his life, seeking confirmation of his own personal value. Mahoney is funny, wise and dignified as the Shakespeare-quoting softball coach, and Broadway singer-actor Billy Porter gets some of the best lines in a role that otherwise amounts to little more than comic relief. Beefcake is provided by supermodel-turned-actor Michael Bergin ("Baywatch: Hawaii") and Christian Kane (semi-regular on TV's "Angel") in cameo roles, and the lovely Kerr Smith appears briefly in one of the movie's best scenes. Watch out, too, for a memorable appearance by Jennifer Coolidge as a 'helpful' hair stylist who brings the house down with a single line of dialogue! However, a subplot involving Weber's sister (Mary McCormack) and her attempts to become a mother with long-term partner Nia Long is underdeveloped to the point of redundancy (memo to gay movie makers: if you're gonna include lesbians in these otherwise all-male offerings, do 'em properly or not at all!), and Cain's much-publicized 'kiss' with Keegan is coyly hidden by the angle at which it's filmed, a hideous cop-out (the eminently straight Olyphant has no such qualms - he kisses his male co-stars with reckless abandon!). Shot on location by cinematographer Paul Elliott (AND THE BAND PLAYED ON), the movie has the look and feel of a widescreen TV show, dominated by closeups and medium shots which invalidate Berlanti's use of the scope format.

Gay cinema doesn't really need another romantic comedy, but while "Broken Hearts" doesn't offer anything new, it's salvaged by snappy editing, a quickfire pace, and first-class performances by some of America's finest young actors. And thanks to a clever, throwaway bit of name-dropping, the movie offers fleeting confirmation - at last! - of the role played by sex-god Antonio Sabato Jr. in the fantasies of hormonally-charged gay teenagers everywhere! Been there, done that...

The Broken Hearts Club is a masterpiece

Author: RiotGurl31979 (RiotGurl31979@aol.com) from United States
19 January 2005

The Broken Hearts Club is one of the most genius films I have ever seen. I love the way each character is conveyed differently, proving the homosexual male stereotype wrong. This movie is very warm and heart-felt bringing a connection to the viewer and the characters.This film is smart, and a well put together comedy that will definitely have viewers laughing, crying, smiling, fussing, and cheering until the very end. I recommend everyone have an open-mind and see this film. There are few films that I would say won my heart after seeing it but The Broken Hearts Club did just that. This film shows that homosexual males go through many similar situations that heterosexual males also go through . This movie sends many different positive messages to it's audience. I definitely respect this film 100 percent. The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comdey deserves a standing ovation.

Been there, done that. . .this is true to my experiences. . .

Author: bekayess from Orlando, FL
22 June 2004

Quick evaluation: this movie does reflect my experiences of the past 25 years. As a nearing-50 gay man, I can relate to nearly all the principal characters, both personally and as they relate to my friends and acquaintances. Yes, at various times in my life I've been the cute, promiscuous one; the lonely one; the gym bunny (no drugs, though); the (self-perceived) ugly one. . .all those have helped me to become a better, more self-actualized person. Seems there are too many self-loathing queens commenting negatively on this film here. . .maybe they can't see themselves in the characters, but if they were to be honest, they'd realize that they do indeed exist in one or more of these characters.

I enjoyed the film, laughed a little, cried a little. As I said, "been there, done that."

OK to be Gay!

Author: Matthew Ignoffo (mermatt@webtv.net) from Eatontown, NJ, USA
7 October 2000

This film gives gay men a meaning beyond stereotypes and the roles usually seen in gay movies. The theme is universal: friends stand by you to assure you that you are OK as you are.

Some of the dialog is hilarious, and the characters ring true even though many of these people are played by straight actors. There is an amusing glossary of gay terms given on the screen from time to time so that straight audiences will understand the lingo of the gay subculture.

The touching elements in the film include the loneliness of what one character describes as "10s looking for 11s." The recognition that a person can be gay and average is the only antedote for this loneliness.

We follow a group of young gay men, under the matronly supervision of John Mahoney, connecting and disconnecting as they try to find themselves in a world that doesn't seem to care who they are. It's a story of human beings. The fact that they are gay is incidental -- and this is a major step forward in gays being depicted in movies.

An intelligent comedy

Author: jdburkitt from San Francisco
20 September 2006

As a mature (61) gay man, I enjoyed the hell out of this film. At least there was a diversity of stereotypes. I guess it would be boring to show that most gays lead "regular" lives in all kinds of workplaces. The angst was, thankfully, less "Dawson's Creek" and more universal. The experienced straight actors helped it flow along nicely, a cut above the usual sloppy, Indie-style gay movie. The Lesbian subplot should have been expanded--or left out! I recommend this movie to all young lesbians and gays facing a still altogether ignorant homophobic society---but one that has improved since I was their age. Kudos to the people behind the camera too!

Amen, sister

Author: R_O_U_S from United Kingdom
19 January 2004

How un-promising does a gay male Sex In The City sound? This one took me quite by surprise. It's a frequently very funny romantic comedy, that only occasionally dips into cliche. Why America remade Queer As Folk when they already had this is beyond me. Is "Queer as folk" ever an expression over there? Anyway, this includes Frasier's Dad and Superman amongst its gay baseball team, so it's good in my book.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]