IMDb > "WCW World Championship Wrestling" (1985) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"WCW World Championship Wrestling" More at IMDbPro »"World Championship Wrestling" (original title)

WCW Saturday Night!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
14 December 2003

This WCW show was really good with its two hour length! It was always cool when they would have exclusive interviews and such! This show in My opinion really boosted WCW in the years of 1994 through 1996! The program didn't always have huge matches but it would occasionally! There were some spectacular moments on this show however and I would never miss it on Saturday night!

Movie Nuttball's NOTE: It is not listed on the Internet Movie Database but there was also another WCW television show called WCW Sunday Night or something similar to that title. Anyway it was basically an hour show that recaps matches from the other great WCW programs including WCW Nitro, WCW Saturday Night, WCW World Wide, I believe even WCW Thunder! It was hosted by the legendary wrestling personalities Gene Okerlund and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan! However, Sunday Night would have some exclusive interviews and there was one thing that was so incredible that it has become one of My favorite moments ever in the history of just not WCW but in wrestling history! That moment was in September 1995 on the same night WCW War Games would be! Gene Okerlund interviewed Hulk Hogan on his motorcycle with many fans outside the arena! After a minute or two a big rumble would start and it was The Giant(WWE'S Big Show) driving a monster truck and everyone ran and the Giant ran over Hogan's bike and it was just totally destroyed! Hogan tried to grab the huge wrestler out of the truck but with no luck! Later that night at War Games Hogan and Kevin Sullivan were the only remaining wrestlers in the steel cage and the Giant made his way down and attacked Hogan and snapped his neck! Since I'm on the subject one night not to much later on Nitro Hogan had an interview with Gene Okerlund and when he left the ring Kevin Sullivan attacked Hogan disguised as a woman by throwing salt or powder in his eyes and also with a cane. The Giant came out and snapped his neck again and The Taskmaster Kevin Sullivan shaved Hulk's mustache! At Halloween Havoc 95 Hulk and the Giant would have two incredible match ups with The Giant being a Monster Truck match and a world title match! Back to WCW Sunday Night, Sullivan, The Giant, and other members of The Dungeon of Doom would have some exclusive interviews and segments! Watching WCW Saturday Night and WCW Sunday Night was a great way to spend the weekend!

Good Show But Pretty Much Became Redundant

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
5 January 2003

In it's heydey WCW Saturday Night was an awesome show which aired some fantastic matches featuring WCW stars such as the late Rick Rude, Stunning Steve Austin and the like. In fact, quite a few of WCW's best matches were tucked away on this show.

In it's later years, it became a recap show and after awhile it ceased to be which wasn't hard to understand. In it's later years, the caliber of matches were below average and not worth tuning into really. This show was an integral part of the now defunct WCW in the days before Monday Nitro and Thursday Thunder. However, once these shows really started picking up steam, it was hard to think of Saturday Night as an integral part of WCW. Furthermore, recap shows are not much good if you've already seen the major shows. The other factor to remember is that there were far too many hours of WCW being aired in the 90's-there was Nitro, Thunder, PPV's, Clash Of The Champions events and four syndicated programmes. WCW Saturday Night-along with other programmes-simply had to go.

However, in it's formative years it did produce some fantastic matches and it's contribution to WCW cannot be understated.

well

Author: helll_razor (helll_razor@mail.com) from BKLYN, NY
12 September 2000

I remember the days of pre Nitro and Thunder...WCW Power Hour and WCW Sat Night and WCW Mainevent Sunday nights....those were part of my wrestling fix. Then it started going to a preliminary wrestler showcase and rookie show..the bigger stars made rare appearances. But I was still happy. as long as wrestling was on I loved it....then the recap show and its cancellation.

WCW Sat Night was an awesome show and it was sad to see it go, but wrestling is on basically everyday and maybe it was for the best.

My favorite wrestling show. HERE COMES DA CLUBBERIN!

Author: unkle_nasty_fingers from Fraggle Rock
5 January 2008

For those of you that don't that reference, clubberin was 4 fists hitting one body...

Anyways, onto the review.

I miss WCW Saturday Night. Some of my favorite wrestling moments took place on this stage. I remember watching Stunning Steve Austin, Rick Rude, Brian Pillman, Cactus Jack, Dustin Rhodes, Johnny B. Badd, DDP in his jobber days, Lord Steven Regal, Harlem Heat, Ricky Steamboat, STING...I'd be here a while listing everyone. Point is WCW had an awesome roster in the pre Hogan days and they were producing entertaining television. Dusty Rhodes on commentary in it's later years gave me a whole new reason to watch when I started smoking pot as a teenager...I really wish Vince would put him on the mic for a show or two, maybe at the next Great American Bash? They CLUBBERIN! Here comes DA PLUNDA! He was great.

-DirrTy

Like a train wreck

Author: Danny (d8taper) from Long Island, NY
14 January 2002

This show was so pathetic and the matches so horrible, it can be summed up as a trainwreck...you just can't turn your head, you have to watch it. I loved it with the jobbers that were no-names and the matches were horrible...but hey, you can't turn away, you gotta see just HOW BAD IT IS GONNA GET!

A recap of Nitro and Thunder

Author: Hollywood from Canada
22 June 2000

Saturday night is basically a show that recaps the events that took place on WCW Nitro and Thunder. Top superstars such as Bret"Hitman"Hart, Goldberg and the "Chosen one"Jeff Jarrett etc are never booked to appear on the show. Instead the show recaps what happened the previous week with Terry Taylor and Larry Zybsko. Entertaining - but nowhere near the quality of Nitro or Thunder.