IMDb > "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" (1993) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The show that ABC refused to air because it was too corny

Author: Samanfur from Wales, UK
4 January 2005

It wasn't the most intelligent show in the world, but it didn't try to be, or make any pretence about being so. The music was synthesised, the backgrounds were cheap and stylised, and the character models and animation quality were classic Saturday morning fare.

The plots weren't exactly taxing and the humour wasn't exactly subtle. In fact, both were downright lowest common denominator at times. My father wouldn't let me watch it if he was in the room, because he disliked the level of loud noises and the complete lack of substance.

As a Tails fan, watching Tails be transformed into a portable rent-a-hostage - and a four year old to boot - was rather galling.

But at least, in that department, the series got one thing right: he was a tech whizz. You didn't need to be able to read or write to cook up scientific or mechanical marvels at short notice, and he not infrequently did.

Don't laugh, but I used to keep a tally, classing each episode according to whether Tails was presented overwhelmingly as the portable victim/gullible idiot, did something outstanding/helpful or didn't sway in either direction.

All three lists were fairly expansive, but at least the list of positive episodes didn't consist of only three or four, or have episodes where Sonic's alleged sidekick and best friend was barely more than a background extra or only seen in the opening credits. Which is more than can be said for SatAM.

All in all, I'd say that 'AoStH' was probably the series that got closest to the games as we knew them back then: the adventures were picaresque, with the occasional recurring characters but no completely overarching plot; the story lines weren't overly deep; Mobius *ducks hail of missiles from SegaSonic purists* even had the occasional human other than Robotnik, but you weren't beaten over the head with it.

People try to knock it down, but it was never trying to be SatAM or 'SX'. It was there for cheap laughs, and it did what it did pretty well.

Sonic the Hedgehog's first cartoon series

Author: emasterslake from United States
22 April 2006

This was one of my favorite cartoons back in the day. I liked it more than SatAM. Because back then I disliked serious cartoons.

Course today I like both this and SatAM as well.

Unlike SatAM, AoStH is more light hearted and more slap stick comedy.

If you add Bugs Bunny/Road Runner cartoons and Sonic the Hedgehog you get this type of cartoon series.

Throughout the series you see Sonic and Tails wondering around Mobius and stopping Robotnik from taking over the planet. Dr. Robotnik lives in his own home on top of a mountain and accompanied by his robot lackeys who are very stupid and can't do anything right when it comes to catching Sonic.

Course Sonic out smarts them real easily cause they're gullible and can't see through Sonic's disguises.

There some funny moments in the series, and some random stuff, and sometimes ridiculously silly moments. Course this was made for the youth audiences. Since Sonic the Hedgehog is for everyone.

There's nothing that'll offend little kids. Practically anyone can watch this. But just don't expect it to be serious.

It's something to watch for a laugh on the jokes or the way the show is.

Tight Show!

Author: amit1984 from Sunnyvale, California
13 July 2003

This show kicked ass! It first came on when I was in the third grade. I would watch it before I went to school in the mornings. I really liked the characters, also the episodes were always good and never got old. I wish they could air again on tv or come out on DVD!

Very Good Series

Author: AtomicAnthony from Queens, NY
7 February 2003

This is a very good series. The show deserved more than one season. It was funny, and kept you laughing the whole 30 minutes. The show really deserves 4 stars, and a chance at airing on TV again. Live On Sonic!! Live On!

Neat!

Author: bbethel66 from Buffalo, NY
23 June 2003

I liked watching this syndicated version of Sonic the Hedgehog (despite the fact that it was produced by DIC). This cartoony version was more faithful to the video games than the serious action version that aired on ABC. That version was boring, and had little if anything to do with the classic video games.

Some co-stars included Tails, Robotnik, Scratch, Grounder, and Coconuts. A lot of the situations these guys got into were very funny. I laughed at the moments when Sonic addressed Robotnik as RoBUTTnik. I also liked some of the endings, when Sonic and Tails defeated Robotnik, he often screamed, "I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG!" That was very funny.

Based from the Sonic games I'm familiar with, this series seems like an adaption from Sonic 2, which even has the characters that existed the time the game was presented. The show developers even went as far as getting a partial soundtrack similar to Sonic 2 just for this show.

As I pointed out before, this was produced by DIC, which is notorious for producing third-world TV shows based from existing products from video games, toys, and comic books (and also Japanese imports). This syndicated version of Sonic is one of the very few good cartoons from DIC, and the best of all Sonic TV shows made.

AoSTH... a pastime favorite...

Author: jtanner405 from Minneapolis, MN
1 April 2001

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, was a cool cartoon. The darker Sonic the Hedgehog series that ran on ABC from 1993-1995 was excellent. AoSTH is nothing compared to it, but nevertheless, it's still a good show. The cartoony styles in it make it look sort've like a mixture of Warner Bros cartoons, and a lesson learning session from Captin... I forgot the name. Who cares about the bad animation. It made it easier for the people to draw and stuff. If you wanna advance your knowledge on SegaSonic, you'd probably want to see this. Of course, you could check out the SatAM, but not that horrible show Sonic Underground. Listen that show reeks, and nothing's going to change that. There were a couple of good episodes, but clearly, that wasn't enough.

So, if you want to see a better cartoon, see this or SatAM.

PS: BRING BACK SATAM! BRING BACK SATAM! BRING BACK SATAM! BRING BACK SATAM!

'Sonic' rules!

Author: Christopher Smith
26 November 2001

I don't know why, but for some strange reason THE ADVENTURES OF SONIC THE HEDGEHOG always made me laugh. The show had a much more serious tone than the other cartoons that were on at the time, yet there was also a little comedic aspect to the series too. I'd always laugh when Sonic called Dr. Robotnik [the villain of the show] "Robuttnik". I guess it's because I was in grade school at the time this show was on and in grade school, there is just something funny about the word "butt". Anyway, the show was the best cartoon on in 1993 and it was also one of the best cartoons from the 1990's. This was followed by another SONIC series called SONIC UNDERGROUND, which was nearly as funny or good as this one.

Not as bad as I had heard it to be, in fact I consider it a guilty pleasure

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
9 July 2011

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog is not as good as the brilliant Sonic the Hedgehog SATM series, but it is better than Sonic Underground(don't hate it but it does have a lot of glaring problems) and Sonic X which is not that good at all and suffers from too much Chris and not enough Sonic.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog does have its flaws. I admit I am not a huge fan of the animation. The character designs and colours are not so bad, it's more the background art which have a tendency to be cheap and lacking in finesse. I like the opening sequence and theme tune, but some of the accompanying is annoyingly synthesised, I don't always have a problem with synthesised music but sometimes it can feel tacky, which was my problem here. Also Dr RobotNik is a decent enough villain here, but he is a pale shadow really of the true bad-ass that is the RobotNik of the SATM series. I like the I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG exclamations though.

Faults aside, in a way I do consider this series a sort of guilty pleasure. The story lines are not really original and lacking in substance, but they are adventurous, well-paced and entertaining. The writing is also not so bad, it is often very amusing and makes me forget it is not that sophisticated, likewise with some of the slapstick. Sonic is a zany and endearing protagonist too with his encounters with RobotNik one of the better parts of the episodes and Tails is a hoot, while the voice acting is strong particularly from a spirited Jaleel White.

All in all, a guilty pleasure. 7/10 Bethany Cox

"Where my Chili Dogs? I'm waiting............!"

Author: ian-1211 from West Hove, England
1 November 2006

This used to love this show! I used to watch it with my twin sister on VHS from the video shop when we were about 6 or 7. It ruled and the plots were happily remembered (the good old days they were). About four months ago, I was surfing about on YouTube when I type "The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" up. I first watch the intro (which was cool) then I watch an episode or two. I love them! I mad for that show again. Old memories are rediscovered and I kept on watching more and more episodes off the Internet! Life is good again. But there is only one problem: it's not on normal television! I think the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 or Five should consider bringing back this show. Kids of today will love it and the morals are beyond the best. Yes, the morals, AOSTH had meaningful morals like: "Go to the library" or "Don't go off with strangers" or "Tell a teacher if you are being bullied". I'm afraid the other Sonic cartoons don't have that kind of thought into their cartoons. Sonic Underground sucked and there wasn't meaning to it but to make money! Sonic's so called cousins from that series were stupid and unappealing. Sonic X is alright, a bit violence but just alright but it can't beat the 1993 DiC AOSTH series. I have never the other Sonic the Hedgehog Series by DiC and hopefully I never will! The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog really needs to be brought back to British Terrestrial Television...and Fast! P.S I also loved Stracth the Robo Chicken and Grounder the Drill Arm Robot from this series. Life was never the same without them! Stuff Coconuts the Robo Monkey, he was a nobody and he stank! 9/10

funny to the Max!!!

Author: OWUbear from Delaware, OH
22 February 2001

when I first heard that "Urkel" was going to voice Sonic the Hedgehog, I was surprised. I watched some episodes, and saw that they were incredibly funny. Even though my sister got the "more serious" version as a comic book, I like this because it makes me laugh. Dr. Robotnik is just scary enough, and his underlings are stupid enough to make it work. The popular culture jokes help as well.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]