IMDb > Seven Days to Live (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Seven Days to Live More at IMDbPro »

Deja Vu Vu Vu...

Author: Poe-17 from usa
4 September 2001

This film is like browsing in the fridge, late at night when you have the munchies; there's a piece of pizza, a slice of meatloaf, a spoonful of potato salad, a deviled egg ... stuff you've had before that doesn't add up to a proper meal. Genre buffs might have some fun spotting the past film's this movie borrows it's scenes from and there are a lot of them. I did. This is Frankenfilm, stitched together from limbs and parts of other films, a dog here, a basement there, a creeping insanity here, a dark ooze from the floor, wraiths, a marriage sabotaged by the supernatural. There are scenes in the movie that would have sizzled if that sizzling hadn't already been burned into our cinematic psyche by better movies. Still I found it hard to hate this movie. I'm not sure why. It didn't have heart and didn't even pretend to lunge for new ground. I suppose those of us who love horror in cartoons, poetry, fiction or film don't mind rummaging around in the old and familiar. I know that while watching this movie it reminded me of how much I liked this or that movie and caused me to want to rent them and see them again. I would advise everyone to not bother (a caution that is lost on the diehard aficionado - we will watch anything in hopes of finding even one "nugget" to remember). I'm happy to report this film has one such nugget and frustrated to report it is a structurally cruel and wasted nugget. That nugget is the film's first five minutes. Watching it I remember settling into my chair and bracing myself. I thought, this might, maybe, perhaps, potentially could be one of those small films where those involved have a dark and sinister bent and are going to take you on a wicked roller coaster ride rocketing and ricocheting through a sidestreet of hell ... but no. I dont' want to say anything else about the film's beginning since that is the movie's shot at redemption though it redeems not. It commits a fatal error, it packs its wallop at the beginning instead of the end. Don't bother, unless you like snacking unrelated leftovers from the fridge or leafing through family picture albums.

VERY Chilling Thriller....

Author: LRTony26 from Arkansas
7 October 2001

I loved this movie. Both Sean Pertwee and Amanda Plummer were great in it. The whole movie was very chilling. Great movie to watch on a cold, lonely night at home. That is what I did. Sean is great as a a man pushed over the edge and Amanda is very good as his freaked out wife and the main character. Check it out.....you'll like it, too!

poor storyline

Author: errorist from den haag, holland
8 June 2001

Although the movie has its exciting moments, the end is really bad. The story of this movie doesnt make sense at all. The whole "7 days" things is an unexplained phenomenom. The history about this haunted house remains unexplained as well. Perhaps somebody can explain it after seeing this movie, i could not. Save your money on this.

"I bet you can't wait to find out how this story ends."

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
24 February 2003

~Spoiler~

I applaud 7 Days to Live. I don't applaud it for being a clone of The Shining, but for the efforts behind this film. It's the story of a writer and his wife who move into a haunted house to get away from everything and eventually he is driven mad. And the house, of course, has been built over a mass grave. That's The Shining comparison and the cliched bit. But it does generate its own genuinely creepy moments. The opening scene is bone chilling and will have you hooked from the start. Also, Sean Pertwee doing his best Jack Nicholson is reason enough to see the movie. With 7 Days, Pertwee has done two great horror movies recently (if you haven't seen Dog Soldiers I suggest you do so). Another familiar face is Sean Chapman...that's right, Frank Cotton in the flesh. I didn't fully recognize him until there was a scene with Chapman in it that mirrored Hellraiser (the moving furniture/bloody hand scene). It's too bad the hellraising actor didn't have a bigger part though. By the end of the film, you should recognize a few more horror movies stitched in here but it's all a bit of foreign fun. 7 Days to Live is worth catching if you enjoy the films in between the Hollywood hype and the direct-to-video garbage.

Watch it in alone in a darkened room!

Author: Steve Riley from UK & Germany
10 June 2001

This is one creepy and suspenseful movie. True, it borrows heavily from other movies (`The Shining' being one obvious example) but it still stands out as an exciting film in its own right. What lends it an even more strange atmosphere is the fact that it is hard to pinpoint where it is actually set. The old haunted house that is the focal point of the film and the surrounding landscape have a definite American feel to them – certainly in no way British or European. Yet all the cast with the exception of Amanda Plummer have very British accents. The cars also all carry British-style number plates, yet they are all left-hand drive. And although the nearby village - what little we see of it – is definitely not typically British, at the same time neither is it typically American or continental European. I have no idea whether this strange mix was intended by the film-makers or whether it arose purely by accident and lack of attention to detail. Yet for me this greatly added to the spooky atmosphere of the movie. As it is a European production, I came to the conclusion that it is supposed to be set in a make-believe, unnamed English-speaking country – a kind of fictional netherworld, but one which at the same time has a frighteningly `real' feel to it. Hard to put into words, but very effective. Not since the 60s cult TV series `The Prisoner' have I had such a feeling when watching a film. I challenge anyone to watch this movie and then go down into the cellar alone!!! A strong 7 out of 10.

I'm willing to do anything you want to make this relationship work, but first please - if it's okay please - untie me.

Author: lastliberal from United States
8 November 2008

OK, it does sort of remind you of The Shining, and you can find bits of other films here, but are there any truly new ideas today? Very few, I am afraid, so let's see what Sebastian Niemann does in his first feature film. He won an award for his first film, a short.

I thought that Amanda Plummer (Pulp Fiction, The Fisher King) did a really good job as someone who was slowly going crazy with those daily reminders of her impending death.

Sean Pertwee (Equilibrium, Renaissance) did an excellent job of channeling Jack Nicholson.

The rest of the cast was support, and there was, of course, the requisite special effects to give the film a great ending. It seemed to drag in the middle, but you didn't dare leave until you saw what was going to happen.

I have to say that I thought this was a British film when Pertwee said he "...needed to take a fag break." I was surprised that it was German. I don't remember fags in Germany.

Pretty good flick.

Author: Jack the Ripper1888 from Chicagooooooo
20 April 2002

I bought this movie the other night from Blockbuster and I started watching it at around two in the morning. This is a great movie to watch late at night when all the lights are out. It actually scared me at some of the parts of the film.*POSSIBLE SPOILERS* Ellen (Amanda Plummer) is having disturbing visions of her own death. And she soon discovers that she only has seven days left to live. This movie reminded me in a way of THE SHINING. Maybe because the husband was writing a book, went crazy whenever his wife bothered him while he was writing and because he was the bad guy. Who knows. Just little things like that. 7 DAYS TO LIVE is a good movie to watch late at night. Period. If you're looking for something different, don't see it. But if you want a good rip-off late night movie, then this is the one. For a movie that didn't have a run in theaters, this one was pretty good........4/5.

Not bad!

Author: LoupGarouTFTs from United States
25 March 2006

I have to agree with the other reviewers that the movie was a send-up of The Shining, with lots of grass around instead of snow. The film had a kind of grainy, low budget feel to it, which I thought added to the element of creepiness quite a lot. It also had a bit of earthiness lacking in a lot of American films. Overall, I thought it was an enjoyable film.

I think that Secret Window may have borrowed a small element, in the form of the police officer. When Amanda Plummer visits the retired officer, she finds him painting and comments that it's not quite the thing you'd expect from a police officer. Mort Rainey finds the sheriff doing embroidery. Nifty, that.

A shame about the dog, though. Seven out of ten for being a good, solid, creepy film--even if it didn't have a huge amount of original material.

Nightmare of the Haunted Shining Pet Poltergeist House.

Author: EnvyYouProductions from Munich, Germany
26 December 2000

Although most ideas are lifted from other horror flicks, this European movie produces quite a few jumpy scares. Something you should watch on your own in a dark and stormy night. Make sure you have a torch next to you, in case a fuse blows...

A Well-Acted Supernatural Thriller

Author: drsmcduncan from Seattle, Wa.
28 December 2002

Amanda Plummer (daughter of Christopher Plummer and the delightful Tammy Grimes) stars as the wife of writer (Sean Pertwee, son of Dr. Who's Jon Pertwee) who moves with her husband to a remote mansion - apparently in Australia, despite a largely English cast - to find rest and healing after the death of their son. Instead, the house to which they move has a history of occupation by people who go mad and die mysteriously. They begin to be affected, which predictably takes a toll on their relationship. In particular, the wife receives daily warnings that she has only a declining number of days to live - hence the title. Not bad - six stars.