IMDb > "The Martin Short Show" (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Martin Short Show" More at IMDbPro »

Could be better.

Author: Bigmoose
24 April 2000

When I heard Martin Short was getting another chance at a talk show, I was overjoyed. I love Martin Short, and almost everything he had been in. But this is a disappointment. I couldn't believe what I was seeing while watching this. I know Martin Short is famous for his mile long slapstick, but it gets to a point where it is just plain annoying.

Also, he makes too many inside jokes. I seem to get them fine, and when I watch with friends, I'll start snickering, and they end up asking, "What's so funny."

The show is also very bland. I think by now everyone has seen Martin and his band parading around in his underwear, so PUT YOUR CLOSE BACK ON! And while your at it, cut down on the slapstick, and write some jokes other people who are not into Short can get.

Very Funny! Too Bad It Was Cancelled.

Author: couchvegan from Massachusetts
3 January 2002

As a huge fan of Martin Short I loved waking up in the morning and watching this show. It made my weekday better. Okay, yes, the show could have used some refining but the sketches with Martin as Jiminy Glick and other characters including Ed Grimley (my personal favorite) and the Entertainer Man in the Nursing Home (can't remember the characters name) with cast member Mary Scheer were fabulous! It is too bad Martin couldn't have refined the show; maybe it would still be on the air.

Gave me more insight into Martin Short than I needed.

Author: Steve West from Adelaide, Australia
3 July 2004

When the host needs a number-two man you know it's only a matter of time before things start to deteriorate. Martin seems like a very cheerful, good natured host until you see that's just the way he operates all the time, and his dark side comes out in sketches like the messed-up Jimminy Glick (Short's revenge for all the other stars having more success than him I think!). It was obvious Martin Short had some issues and no surprise his show didn't last too long. If Short wasn't such a loser this could have been a legitimate variety show.