IMDb > Halloween: Resurrection (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Halloween: Resurrection

Halloween: Resurrection More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 62: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

A disappointing fellow up to Halloween H20

Author: jacobjohntaylor1 from Barry's bay Ontario Canada
11 November 2015

This is the eighth Halloween movie and it is very disappointing. The original Halloween film 1978 is a great film. The 1981 version of Halloween II is a great horror film. Halloween 4 the return of Micheal Myers is a great film. Halloween 5 the revenge of Michael Myers is a great film. The sixth Halloween movie Halloween is the cures of Micheal Myers is a great horror film. The seventh Halloween movie Halloween H20 is a great horror film. The Halloween remake from 2007 is a great horror movie. The Halloween II remake from 2009 is great horror film. And this on is disappointing. The story line is not very good. And the ending is awful.

Hey guys, how can we ruin Halloween? Release this god awful mess..

Author: Davis P from United States
22 March 2015

Oh Lord I can never watch this mess again! Never ever again, this movie was nothing more than an attempt to make more money. They never wanted to make another good Halloween movie, no this was a way to make money, NOTHING MORE!! I loved Halloween H20, that in my opinion was THE BEST halloween film period! Laurie survived, killed Michael, and lived happily ever after, that's the way they should have ended the entire series, but no they went and screwed it up with this atrocity!!! This should never ever have been made, period!!! Terrible writing, boring, awful acting. I wanted to turn it off within the first 10 minutes, because they killed off Laurie!!!! I loved Laurie, she never should've died dangit!! They should have ended it with HALLOWEEN H20. That was the way to do it, not release some awful stupid and pointless final installment!!

this is bad, but fun

Author: Gavan
28 December 2014

SPOILER FOR PREVIOUS FILM, DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN HALLOWEEN H20.

Halloween 8 is a bad film and sucks at huge levels, I really HATE the opening with the impossible switch that Michael did which is implausible and impossible that it damages the movie from the jump, it would have been better if it had been a story before H20 because H20 gave such a great closure to the series. Besides that the movie is a great popcorn flick if you don't feel like doing anything and is not as bad as everyone says it is, besides busta rhymes and the ridiculous kung-fu , this movie is actually a fun movie.

Ignore the First 15 Minutes, Think Of It As A Prequel To H20, Then It Will Become A Guilty Pleasure.

Author: powermandan from Canada
29 October 2014

They really should have left the series at H20. It wrapped everything up and ended on a high note. It was also a legitimately good movie. Then they make this. A spoiler: Laurie kills the wrong man at the end of H20, not Michael, so she ends up in a mental institution where he returns and kills her. That sucked!!!! Later on, a group of college students are gathered to partake in a reality show where they have to survive in Michael's house. They have no idea he will show up. Aside from the bad beginning, the whole movie really wasn't bad. I guess you could say it is like when somebody likes Hanson's song MMMBop. The acting is mostly bad and the people are dumb. However, the death scenes and suspense are good. Combine good deaths with bad acting and you will laugh. You wait and hope Michael will kill everybody and are happy when he does. He is really cool in this. Also, I found the house and general filming to be pretty good. I was very impressed to see how spooky the house looked and how good the filming techniques worked. But I could not deny any flaw this movie has, which is a lot. But people should see why this is a guilty pleasure.

What Makes You So Sure It Is Over?

Author: CowherPowerForever from Pittsburgh, PA
25 October 2014

The Following review will contain spoilers.

Halloween: Resurrection is a widely hated movie amongst the Halloween faithful. Some, like myself, do consider it to be an above average film, and not one of the worst of the series. While the film has it's faults, the storyline in this film is frankly better than those used in Halloween 5 and Halloween 6. The problem with this film mainly was that it was ahead of it's time. If Halloween: Resurrection was released within the past five years(of writing this review) it would have been better received, I have little doubt about that. The following is my review of Halloween: Resurrection.

The film was written by Sean Hood and Larry Brand. The story on this film is pretty straight forward. It takes place about 3 years after the events of Halloween: H20. Laurie is now in a mental hospital as she went crazy after she found out that Michael didn't really die at the end of H20. Michael actually killed one of the paramedics on scene and crushed his larynx so he couldn't say anything. Laurie then killed this paramedic by accident. She is haunted by this and is now in a mental hospital waiting for her real brother to come and kill her. We are then shown the night Michael Returns, but Laurie is ready this time. She has a trap for him on the roof of the building, but it backfires when she needs to remove his mask to make sure it is him. Michael then is able to turn the tables and finally kill his sister. Michael then goes back to his home in Haddonfield. He comes home to realize that an internet reality show is filming in his childhood home, and of course he will murder everyone in his house. As I mentioned above this story was ahead of it's time in regard to the reality programing. So many of us are use to seeing many horror type shows in famous houses that is first person based trying to find hauntings. Which is why I believe if this film were released in say 2012 instead of 2002, the film would have been a bigger hit and been more well received. I personally believe the story is not that bad. It is certainly not the worst of the franchise, and it moves nicely. Hood and Brand get a thumbs up in my opinion.

The film was directed by Halloween 2 director Rick Rosenthal. If you have read my Halloween 2 review you already know I hold the opinion that that is the best sequel in this franchise. Rosenthal brought a more scare based approach to this film, which is what the franchise needed. Sure, there are still some over the top kills in this film that I could do without, but it wasn't as bad the previous film in this series(Halloween:H20). The acting is another big talking point about this film. Busta Rhymes is basically the star if you will. Many believe this was an awful casting decision, and I do agree. However, three years prior to this film another rapper(LL Cool J) starred in a Halloween film. The outrage against him is basically slim to none. The decision to cast Rhymes is a bigger role was not wise, but it certainly wasn't the worst thing in the world. However, I will admit that this is probably one of the worst acted films of the series. Jamie Lee Curtis phones in this very short part and acting legend Donald Pleasence had already passed about seven years before this film was released. Rosenthal delivers some nice scares that are a throwback to the original film more so than some of the slasher type sequels this franchise has turned out. I enjoy that and I think Rosenthal deserves credit for this outing.

Danny Lux was the composer of this film, and he is mostly doing television shows these days. The score for this film has a John Carpenter feel to it, whereas some of the other sequels tried to change too much. That means the originality is at a low, but the film goes by nicely hearing that fantastic score we are so use to hearing in this series. Lux doesn't knock it out of the ballpark or create anything original, but he brings us that great classic Carpenter score that we all love.

This film also marked the final effort from longtime series Producer, Moustapha Akkad. He was sadly murdered about three years after the release of this film in a terrorist bombing. Those hardcore fans of the series know him, and know his thoughts and opinions on the entire franchise very well. He didn't want Michael to die in any of the films, and just like Donald Pleasence, he wanted the series to continue as long as possible. He didn't want it to end. I love Moustapha for holding that for many decades as I myself never want to see the series end.

Overall, it is not the best nor the worst film in the Halloween franchise. Sure it probably receives the most hate, but I can think of one or two films in this series that are worse. While it may not be the perfect way to have continued on the franchise, that really didn't matter as the series was rebooted entirely in 2007. The original franchise ended with this film, and while even I admit it wasn't the best way to end the amazing run, it was still an enjoyable way to end it's original run.

Like some chicken-fried muthaf...

Author: Bonehead-XL from United States
5 November 2013

"Halloween: H20" was as natural a conclusion as the series could ask for. It, also, made lots of money. Naturally, another sequel had to made, even if it meant undoing a satisfying ending. The public demanded more Michael Myers, they got more Michael Myers.

"Halloween: Resurrection" spends its opening minutes undoing that satisfying ending. Which isn't easy. Michael was super-dead at the end of "H20." In order to get around that, the screenwriters cooked up an absurd solution. Michael Myers has always been a thoughtless force of nature. The opening retcons the previous ending by having Myers suddenly develop a sense of cunning. He switches places with a paramedic, making sure to crush the guy's larynx so he can't scream, and walks off, leaving Laurie to murder an innocent man. This contradicts 24 years of history. The manslaughter causes Laurie to crack, placing her in the loony bin. This is conveniently explained by two nurses. After three years of twiddling his thumbs I guess, Mikey tracks his sis down. The final-final confrontation between brother and sister is underwhelming. Laurie ensnares the Shape with a remote-control pulley she set-up at some point. Once again defying characterization, Michael tricks Laurie into (stupidly) stepping into his kill radius, ending their sibling rivalry forever. Because the movie hadn't trampled over his personality enough all ready, Myers makes friends with a fellow inmate before walking off. Jaime Lee Curtis only returned so she could die, insuring no involvement with future sequels. This is very obvious. She sleepwalks through her five minutes of screen time.

Despite conceiving an ending even more final then the previous final ending, "Halloween: Resurrection" continues onward. Two internet reality television moguls dream up an event, a group of photogenic college students left in the abandoned Myers house with camera's strapped to their heads. Their experiences are streamed over the internet, despite this being 2002, when high-speed internet wasn't widely used. Michael shows up, of course, slashing his way through the generic slasher bait. He spends most of the movie standing in the shadows, waiting for his queue. The life of a slasher must be so ho-hum… When I say generic, I mean it. The characters of "Halloween: Resurrection" are by-far its worse attribute. Bianca Kajilch's Sara is the virginal final girl, shy, reserved, and an attentive student. Best friend Jen, played by pre-fame Katee Sackoff, is her bubble-headed best friend. If this had been made in the eighties, we definitely would have seen her boobs. Speaking of boobs, redhead Donna pretends to be smart but is your typical slasher movie slut. She bangs a guy she's known a few hours and thinks a dusty basement is an ideal romantic spot. Jim, who has no further development beyond "the horny guy," goes for it. Bill fills the obnoxious prankster role and, thankfully, dies early. Token black guy Rudy seems reasonable but even he lights up a bong for no reason. You'd think a post-"Scream" film wouldn't partake in clichés. Such blatant throwbacks might have been charming if it had been intentional. No, "Halloween: Resurrection" is just badly written.

Those characters are thin and terrible. They're not the worse. Busta Rhymes plays Freddie Harris, the man behind "Dangertainment." Rhyme is obviously not a trained actor. He mugs furiously and it gets worse the longer on camera he is. He shouts all his dialogue in a macho brogue. Early on, he watches a kung-fu movie in his hotel room. This is meant to set up a later scene where he ninja-kicks Michael Myers through a window. As big as an indignity as that would be for a once-feared horror villain, "Resurrection" goes lower. Freddie returns to save the day and puts the monster down. How? He shocks him in the balls with a live-wire. Rhymes destroys every scene he's in. I hope he ad-libbed lines likes "Trick or treat, muthaf**ka!" or "Like some chicken-fried motherf**ker!" No screenwriter deserves the indignity of writing dialogue like that. Terrible human being Tyra Banks plays another terrible human being, one who ignores someone being murdered on camera twice. At least the movie has the good sense to kill her.

The movie can't even get Myers right. Yeah, he looks okay. The mask is a better sequel example, though the hair is still off. However, the killer's behavior is completely wrong. He puts a knife down in the heat of the moment to kill a dude with his hands. After stabbing someone, he gets more knives just to decorate the corpse. Most egregiously, he lets Busta boss him around in a scene that recalls "Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy." At this point, I can only assume that Michael truly did die at the end of "H20" and this character is an impostor. That makes more sense.

The high-tech angle rarely comes into play but still ends up being one of the movie's better attributes. A group of partiers watching the live feed recreate slasher movie audience. They yell at the people on-screen and cheer at the death scenes. Sara's internet boyfriend texts her helpful hints. These might have been comments on slasher movie formula. If they were, any further commentary is lost amidst the sea of clichés.

Part 2's Rick Rosenthal returns to the director's chair. Any talent Rosenthal might have is over edited, as "Resurrection" features grainy flashbacks and flashing white lights. Danny Lux's score is generic though makes good use of Carpenter's original theme. John earned his musical royalty check on this one. The movie is packed full of lame jump scares and unintentional hilarity. For these reasons and more, it is the worse "Halloween" film, outpacing even part six. Six was a mess but its badness was ambitious and audacious. "Resurrection" is boring, lazy, stupid, and pointless.

Just Bad

Author: culmo80 from United States
16 March 2013

Why am I giving this movie a 2 and not a 1? The first fifteen minutes or so are actually good. We get to see Laurie Strode battle it out with Michael Myers one last time.

The story of Michael Myers should have ended with H20, which while not great, at least added something to the story. So what do we get with Resurrection? Well, as with Halloween 5, Michael's "death" is retold to show that he didn't really die; that he in fact traded places with a medic, going so far as putting his mask on the guy after crushing his larynx...because, obviously Michael knew that Laurie would steal the ambulance and decapitate the body.

So Resurrection gives us the last battle between Laurie and Michael and ends with Laurie's death. Apparently, Jamie Lee Curtis would only reprise her role as Laurie if they killed her off...a rather smart move on her part because she could see where the franchise was headed.

After this 15 minutes, the movie has no point. Busta Rhymes and Tara Banks (I really don't care enough to look up their character names) are looking for a pay day and decide to host a live "ghost hunter" show at the Myers house on Halloween night. They get a bunch of college kids to enter the house and explore it all night. Predictably, they all split up and are murdered by Myers. Here's the thing: the Myers house isn't that big...it's not like you could just spend hours exploring a relatively empty house. How do several people wander around getting "lost" in a house this small?

Oh and Busta Rhymes is in this movie...he's the next biggest "star" after Jamie Lee Curtis. There is no Dr. Loomis equivalent here; no real talent. I failed to mention that Busta Rhymes is - in this film - a karate fan, and he fights Michael Myers using his Bruce Lee moves...yeah, that's actually in this movie.

Probably the most cringe-worthy part was the ending, after the two survivors have burned down the garage with Myers inside. Busta Rhymes and the girl that survived are interviewed by the media and it was just so terrible. Then there is the part with Rhymes mocking the burnt "corpse" of Myers.

I don't know what else there is to say about this film. It shouldn't have been made. It didn't need to be made. Even if there was a poll of fans who wanted Myers to return, you don't necessarily have to do what "fans" want. Certainly, fans didn't like this movie, and no one else did either.

Terrible follow up to a fantastic previous installment

Author: mike0120-1 from United States
11 December 2010

Halloween H20 was without a doubt the best horror sequel of all time. It was slick, fast paced and actually scary. It did not dumb down the characters too much. It had a purpose in bringing back the savior of the franchise (Jamie Lee Curtis). Most importantly it tied the story up all the way and there was no need for another one.

Enther Halloween: Resurrection in 2002. Originally slated to be released in 2001, rewrites and re-shoots caused a delay which was not for the better. The idea was to bring Michael back and explain he was not the one who got his head chopped off in 1998. Well, nobody ever said horror films had to be taken seriously but as the events unfolded in Resurrection none of it could be understood or explained.

Laurie Strode was a vital character to the franchise. Every I repeat every horror film franchise needs one survivor from the previous installment to come back, kick butt and get out. During her short 10 minute appearance, we see how badly the producers wanted to make it work. Yes, we see a stronger Laurie. Yes, we see a passable explanation for what has happened and the spook factor is at an all time high.

Reportedly, Jamie Lee wanted out and did not want to see Laurie alive because that would mean another return down the line. Smart girl. Badly written exit. Here she is about to kill Michael Myers and she thinks he has somehow pulled a fast one on her again? Please. This guy WANTED to kill her. He chased her around the building. Tore in her bedroom. And she thought she "needs to make sure?" 10 minutes and we are out people. No more Laurie. No more excuse to witness the tragedy about to happen to out eyes and ears.

Nothing can save the viewer from this badly written script and one dimensional idiot characters. The camera idea did not work. The jokes were funny for all the wrong reasons and Tyra Banks along with Busta Rhymes need to be reminded they are not actors. While some parts entertained me, the fact that I felt less smart coming out of the theater is a red flag people. Should have waited for the DVD. Oh well.

*/4

I Hate Halloween Resurrection

Author: vooheesv33 from United States
17 September 2010

Only vital if you wanna know about michael myers. bad actors, bad characters, and terrible ending. i hope you don't puke when you watch it. because i about did, i rate this as the least satisfying movie ever in the halloween movie franchise. I highly suggest watching it for the story not for the details.

it has a good story, OK facts about the killer michael myers. The secrets behind the story and the like 5th death of laurie strode and the last one. she dies in the first 10 minutes so i didn't spoil anything. i suggest a puke bag while watching this shitty movie. i hope you use it.

A complete waste.

Author: lawrencesleftarm from United States
24 March 2010

I saw this movie in the theater right when it came out and I was so disappointed. The other Halloweens terrorized me when I was younger and I was hoping this movie wouldn't disappoint. Man was I wrong. I fell asleep in my seat watching this movie. I'm not going to write some long review, for if I start up, I don't think I'll be able to stop complaining about everything wrong with it.

Basically, if they were going to kill off Jamie Lee Curtis, they should have came up with a way better plot line for the rest of the movie, obviously. They should have brought Hartnett back and had Myers go after him, since that is his only family member left alive. I don't know. Just never watch this movie.